Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Well, I personally have no idea what Divock Origi thinks about Norwich or any other club. I wouldn’t have expected us to sign Rashica given what I’ve since learned about him now, but we did. And I wouldn’t have expected to sign Darren Huckerby either from Man City when we were down in the Championship, but we did. All I know is he’s reportedly available for £13mil which is ridiculously cheap for a striker whom you say has so many suitors - wages etc may indeed be a problem but that’s who I’d like to see us aiming for now we’re making the next step up in quality - it’s hardly signing Lionel Messi is it?

Do you think Norwich have £13m to spend on Origi on top of getting Billing and Ajer (or other equivalent players)? Also, Origi is likely to be on £60k+ a week at Liverpool - how could Norwich possibly afford this?

Rashcia had no other offers on the table - Origi will have plenty.

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Nmecha is great, but he Norwich haven't got £7m to spend on a back-up. That puts aside the who debate about whether Nmecha would want to be a back-up at Norwich right now.

We paid about half of that for a back-up striker in the Championship though-and if he is that good, then why would he have to be back-up? Teemu isn't going to go on forever.

7 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

He isn't available for £13m though. Google his name and the figures bandied around are closer to £20m. And he's still a Belgian international who is probably on more than doubt Norwich's top earner. 

It's - just  - not - realistic.

He isn’t still a Belgian international - he has not played for the national side since 2019.

5 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

You mean the Bournemouth who had the backing of a multi billionaire and prepared to pay massive fees and wages? 

Again, not a realistic comparison. 

That is indeed correct, the very same Bournemouth. You don’t really think they were paying them all £70grand a week do you? The multi billionaire is not relevant unless he’s giving everyone £100grand weekly contracts - which he didn’t.

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The problem with that is if you put Rashica up front, who do you play in his place on the right? Onel? Idah as a winger? Either of those options appears at present to be a massive drop in quality from Emi/Rashica. I'd rather play Rashica in the position we've bought him for and actually have a proper alternative to Pukki.

I appreciate that strikers are expensive but goals win games and our goal thread when Pukki asn't providing the goods last season in the EPL was simply tragic. I'm not saying that we don't need to strengthen elsewhere in the team (God knows we do) it's just that we have a glaring issue up front right now and I cannot believe that the likes of Paddy Davitt aren't questioning the current priorities.

Who says Rashicas ‘place’ is on the right?

https://byag.medium.com/milot-rashica-buendia-replacement-46bb39e65f57

Very interesting piece about where we may end up playing Rashica - and how different a player he is to Emi.

I like the idea of him as the no10 in our 4-2-3-1 or as a second striker in a 4-2-2-2 with Dowell and Cantwell moving more centrally - though may be too attacking!

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Do you think Norwich have £13m to spend on Origi on top of getting Billing and Ajer (or other equivalent players)? Also, Origi is likely to be on £60k+ a week at Liverpool - how could Norwich possibly afford this?

Tricky to establish ourselves in the top flight though if we can never pay top flight wages.  Fact is, Premier League quality players want Premier League wages. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Post pandemic there just isn't the money out there. The Spanish league has been badly impacted. The German's don't tend to pay out so much unless it's a genuine player of top ability, Serie A - possibly... 

Someone of Origi's age should have a lot more game time under their belt by now. Equally, if Liverpool want to sign new players they'll likely need to trim the squad and generate some transfer money. His contract is also up at the end of the coming season. 

As a player, he'll need to play more games again, to prove he can be a first team regular, to generate first team player income. It's that simple. At 26 he still has time to take a step down, play well, score goals and get a move to a bigger club elsewhere and play himself back into the Belgian squad. That's his motivation.

And if he has been earning £60k per week or £3m per year since 2014 - or the best part of that time, he'll have banked a fair bit of money by now. A couple of years at £40k pw - what we supposedly paid Naismith, is probably not a bad option if he wants to play regular football and prove himself. We'd also likely ship out Hugill too if he arrived. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

We paid about half of that for a back-up striker in the Championship though-and if he is that good, then why would he have to be back-up? Teemu isn't going to go on forever.

Think the back-up striker was a bigger priority last summer due to Drmic bombing out. Hugil was the biggest fee I think (excluding the loanees).

The club might not consider someone like Nmecha to be that far ahead of Idah in ability, so not want to spend £7m on him. To pay such a fee you'd want to be sure it is a clear upgrade. Farke and Webber seem very confident that Idah can step up.

• Like 1

No chance of us signing Origi or Greenwood whether that's on a loan or permanent. Just won't happen.

As has been mentioned a few times now, the club clearly feel (rightly or wrongly) that Idah is more than capable as playing back-up to Pukki this season. I share the view that I expect most of us have, which is that Idah isn't quite at PL level just yet, however I'm not watching him on a daily basis at Colney so who am I to say?

I wouldn't however be surprised if there's more to come with the Josh King link. As was reported before, we were interested in King and reached out to his agent, however King's lack of enthusiasm to come here put an end to that. If he doesn't find a club within the next month, I can see Webber and Farke maybe going back to his agent to try and crack out a deal.

I think Origi is dreamland stuff, no way he’s coming here. And that’s nothing to do with us and a fee (though I couldn’t see us offering anywhere near what he would demand in wages). I think Origi would look at his Champions league winner medal and then think ‘no chance I’m going to an Odds on team for relegation’. He a would have offers from teams higher in the pyramid then us, whilst also being sort after in Italy and Turkey I would imagine, all offering 60-80k a week. 

You have to remember there is a perception about Norwich currently, you need only see the confused pundits reactions to Gilmour coming here to remember what most people not attached to us think. Yes we are a proofing ground for talent on the way up, but no chance an established player like that would come to us yet. 3 seasons in the top flight later, but not for the first season.

Edited by birchfest

4 minutes ago, Haus said:

Tricky to establish ourselves in the top flight though if we can never pay top flight wages.  Fact is, Premier League quality players want Premier League wages. 

Of course, but the first season up probably isn't the one where Norwich can afford to lavish out such wages on fees on someone like Origi. It would be a lot of money for someone who wouldn't have a clear place in the team, or to spend on benching Teemu Pukki.

3 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

No chance of us signing Origi or Greenwood whether that's on a loan or permanent. Just won't happen.

As has been mentioned a few times now, the club clearly feel (rightly or wrongly) that Idah is more than capable as playing back-up to Pukki this season. I share the view that I expect most of us have, which is that Idah isn't quite at PL level just yet, however I'm not watching him on a daily basis at Colney so who am I to say?

I wouldn't however be surprised if there's more to come with the Josh King link. As was reported before, we were interested in King and reached out to his agent, however King's lack of enthusiasm to come here put an end to that. If he doesn't find a club within the next month, I can see Webber and Farke maybe going back to his agent to try and crack out a deal.

Still dont want an arrogant, stuck up his own **** crybaby transfer forcing huge wages ego player like King thanks.

And if you know anything about Farke and Webber neither will they. King is a big no no

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I have no idea exactly what budget we have, and neither do you - it could be £13mil more than what we think for all we know. Nor do I know what might happen if we sell Max Aarons for £30mil, and what that will mean for the transfer budget. Although I’m also aware that this may have already been taken into account beforehand if we’re signing Billings and Ajer. And how do we, the general public, know what offers there were for Rashica? - there is nothing to say from the horses mouth itself that we were the only club in for him?

1 minute ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

No chance of us signing Origi

There is - it might be a slim chance, but Origi is in the last year of his contract. He may see value in coming to a club where he can play regularly. On paper the chances might be small, but it certainly isn't "no chance".

Also, I wouldn't put him and Greenwood in the same bracket. One made 50+ appearances for Man Utd last season and is seen as a vital player to them. The other made all of 9 appearances in the PL, 17 in total for a team that struggled with injuries in forward positions... 

11 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

He isn’t still a Belgian international - he has not played for the national side since 2019.

He's got 29 caps, making him a Belgian international. 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still dont want an arrogant, stuck up his own **** crybaby transfer forcing huge wages ego player like King thanks.

And if you know anything about Farke and Webber neither will they. King is a big no no

Think it has been established that Norwich wanted King, but didn't feel the deal made sense - if the deal became more viable they might go back for him (although think the Rashica deal means they have moved on).

7 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

I bloody hope not, Championship player at best, would rather utilise our younger players than waste money on him. 

Edited by Ken Hairy

Just now, chicken said:

There is - it might be a slim chance, but Origi is in the last year of his contract. He may see value in coming to a club where he can play regularly. On paper the chances might be small, but it certainly isn't "no chance".

giphy.gif

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Think it has been established that Norwich wanted King, but didn't feel the deal made sense - if the deal became more viable they might go back for him (although think the Rashica deal means they have moved on).

I think My Football Writer claimed they moved onto other targets after he wanted a mahosive wage (I read £60k a week)

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Think the back-up striker was a bigger priority last summer due to Drmic bombing out. Hugil was the biggest fee I think (excluding the loanees).

The club might not consider someone like Nmecha to be that far ahead of Idah in ability, so not want to spend £7m on him. To pay such a fee you'd want to be sure it is a clear upgrade. Farke and Webber seem very confident that Idah can step up.

Ok, fair enough. I was impressed with Idah when he played against Preston in the FA cup but he hasn’t really been given much of a chance to shine since then. If DF and SW have faith in him that’s good enough for me.

5 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

He's got 29 caps, making him a Belgian international. 

And Gary Lineker has 80 caps for England.

Origi is not a current Belgian international, hasn’t been since 2019, and that fact is there for all to see.

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, birchfest said:

You have to remember there is a perception about Norwich currently, you need only see the confused pundits reactions to Gilmour coming here to remember what most people not attached to us think. Yes we are a proofing ground for talent on the way up, but no chance an established player like that would come to us yet. 3 seasons in the top flight later, but not for the first season.

Two pundits... one of which appears to have been wheeled out for the Euro's and has such a finger on the pulse of football that he hasn't managed a team in 15 years - despite only being 68. I wouldn't use that as a basis to found any sort of view on if I'm honest. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

And Gary Lineker has 80 caps for England.

Origi is not a current Belgian international, hasn’t been since 2019, and that fact is there for all to see.

You don't lose the caps you earn. Once an international, always an international.

David Nugent is an England international because he has one cap (and one goal, if I remember right). 

It's like saying Virgil Van **** is not an international player because he's currently injured. 

Just now, TheGoogler said:

It's like saying Virgil Van **** is not an international player because he's currently injured. 

Oh come on, you can't say VVD's name?! 😂

11 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

If there was any more proof required for his questionable personality, he has supplied it in the last week with his comments about being lured to Everton under false pretences, accusing Ancelottti of lying to him.

1 minute ago, TheGoogler said:

You don't lose the caps you earn. Once an international, always an international.

David Nugent is an England international because he has one cap (and one goal, if I remember right). 

It's not really though is it? VvD would 100% be in the squad if not injured, Origi has not been selected for over 2 years. Maybe the Lineker example is an extreme, but would you still call Andros Townsend or Danny Rose England internationals, or how I heard literally these 2 described on the radio the other day 'former England internationals'? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'd take him in a heartbeat on a free transfer. Put him on a 2 year deal with a clause whereby his weekly wage would reduce if we were relegated, and it's a no brainer for me.

Prem experience, prem quality, and can play out wide as well. I'm not sure why you think Farke and Webber wouldn't go back for him considering they both earmarked him as a signing previously, which they wouldn't do if they had doubts about his personality or quality. 

Regardless, it appears he's in talks with Newcastle so perhaps this is one that won't come back up in the future anyway.

Edited by Hoolahoop14
Adding sentence.

1 minute ago, TheGoogler said:

Of course you don’t lose the caps, and no ones disputing he wasn’t once an international for Belgium. But he isn’t currently playing in the Belgian team, and hasn’t been for some time. This of course lowers his value, just as it would go up if he was banging in the goals at the Euro’s.

The VVD analogy is not relevant. Anyone with half a brain will know he’s still very much in the Dutch set up but is missing only due to injury. Origi isn’t injured so was and is available for that call up, and there’s the difference. But that’s not happened for over 2 years now - as it stands he is a former Belgian international which certainly could make a difference in what sort of club he’ll go to.

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

It's not really though is it? VvD would 100% be in the squad if not injured, Origi has not been selected for over 2 years. Maybe the Lineker example is an extreme, but would you still call Andros Townsend or Danny Rose England internationals, or how I heard literally these 2 described on the radio the other day 'former England internationals'? 

Exactly, Ken. In one 🎯 

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

They are England internationals on the basis they have England caps.

You can't remove caps once given, can you?

The fact of the matter is that being an international adds to the transfer value of a player. Divock Origi is an establish Belgian international, with aspirations of being called back up. 

That, his wage, being in the last year of his deal with Liverpool wanting to move him on for £15m-£20m makes this an absolute non-starter for Norwich, and those suggesting him in all seriousness are - I'm afraid - living in a bit of a dream world.