Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

10 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

Tammy Abraham that despite not getting close to Chelsea's side is still going to cost £40m? 

We've been through this again and again and again. Getting a good striker that can score goals, happy to sit on the bench at a price that suits our budget is just unrealistic. 

As in someone with quality who would be willing to come on loan perhaps? I only mentioned Abrahams as he did a decent job for Brighton last season.

5 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

He did say a Tammy Abrahams type of player, rather than Tammy Abrahams.

Yes thank you, I did get that, hence the second paragraph where I talk about that type of player costing too much, not wanting to play second fiddle and being able to make an impact being very unlikely to be able to be signed.

Edited by TheGoogler

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

As in someone with quality who would be willing to come on loan perhaps? I only mentioned Abrahams as he did a decent job for Brighton last season.

Again, quality strikers who are prepared to come on loan knowing they are coming to play second fiddle to Teemu Pukki don't really exist.

I think you might be thinking of someone else. Abraham didn't go on loan to Brighton last season.

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rashica has played striker many times so can cover there if needed.

It's not that Norwich don't 'need' a striker, it is just that getting one who is good enough to provide cover for Pukki, but doesn't cost £10m is an incredibly difficult task. There is also the issue that attracting a striker to come to Norwich to be back-up will also be difficult. Once you factor those two caveats in, then the likelihood is you aren't going to get a player who Norwich consider is better than they already have in the building with Idah and Hugil. 

I suspect that if Aarons is sold, then part of the money coul be put towards a striker if the right player is available but it is not considered a priority ahead of the most obvious positions that need upgrading, like central midfield and defense. Norwich's interest in Armstrong shows they aren't completely ruling it out, but they just need a few other things to happen first.

The problem with that is if you put Rashica up front, who do you play in his place on the right? Onel? Idah as a winger? Either of those options appears at present to be a massive drop in quality from Emi/Rashica. I'd rather play Rashica in the position we've bought him for and actually have a proper alternative to Pukki.

I appreciate that strikers are expensive but goals win games and our goal thread when Pukki asn't providing the goods last season in the EPL was simply tragic. I'm not saying that we don't need to strengthen elsewhere in the team (God knows we do) it's just that we have a glaring issue up front right now and I cannot believe that the likes of Paddy Davitt aren't questioning the current priorities.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

Again, quality strikers who are prepared to come on loan knowing they are coming to play second fiddle to Teemu Pukki don't really exist.

I think you might be thinking of someone else. Abraham didn't go on loan to Brighton last season.

As pointed out by @Gordon Bennett I was thinking of Welbeck, sorry.

The thing is that a proper striker would be challenging Pukki for a start. Idah never has, Hugill never has, we need someone of higher quality to really push for that starting place. I don't agree with the apparent Farke approach of "if Pukki is fit, he plays" because quite frankly, he plays Pukki even when he isn't fit, and when Pukki goes out of form there's no-one to step in and take a chance. We cannot rely on Pukki for all our goals, especially since his main creator is now gone. We need a credible alternative.

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The problem with that is if you put Rashica up front, who do you play in his place on the right? Onel? Idah as a winger? Either of those options appears at present to be a massive drop in quality from Emi/Rashica. I'd rather play Rashica in the position we've bought him for and actually have a proper alternative to Pukki.

I appreciate that strikers are expensive but goals win games and our goal thread when Pukki asn't providing the goods last season in the EPL was simply tragic. I'm not saying that we don't need to strengthen elsewhere in the team (God knows we do) it's just that we have a glaring issue up front right now and I cannot believe that the likes of Paddy Davitt aren't questioning the current priorities.

I think you put Dowell on the right, he was exceptional in that position in the Forrest away game with Rupp in the number 10. That first half was one of the best performances I’ve ever seen from Norwich. If we get Billing then he gets the Number 10 position but to be more of a battering ram than a technical style 10. Or Rupp I guess!

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The thing is that a proper striker would be challenging Pukki for a start. Idah never has, Hugill never has, we need someone of higher quality to really push for that starting place. I don't agree with the apparent Farke approach of "if Pukki is fit, he plays" because quite frankly, he plays Pukki even when he isn't fit, and when Pukki goes out of form there's no-one to step in and take a chance. We cannot rely on Pukki for all our goals, especially since his main creator is now gone. We need a credible alternative.

The problem is finding someone who can make an impact, do better than Idah but is prepared to be behind Teemu and not cost us the earth.

The one player that springs to mind for me is Andre Ayew. Available on a free having been released from Swansea. Scored 16 goals last season in the Championship. Premier League experience. Can also play on the wing. 

Otherwise - I struggle.

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

This. I think we have one first team striker and two backups, that’s lightweight for PL and we need two first team strikers battling for one position and a backup.

if that is our new winger then it’s a huge ask to replace Emi and fill that void also.

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

Left field, curve ball and dreamland etc., but what about a cheeky enquiry for Mason Greenwood on loan?

Depending on who manyoo sign up front, but Sancho has already pushed him down another peg, and any further signing will push him down further. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NWC said:

Left field, curve ball and dreamland etc., but what about a cheeky enquiry for Mason Greenwood on loan?

Depending on who manyoo sign up front, but Sancho has already pushed him down another peg, and any further signing will push him down further. 

I'd go as far as to say that I'd accept that as an alternative to having Skipp back.

2 minutes ago, NWC said:

Messi's on a free, he could compete with Greenwood on the right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Kicker's a good source as well, usually.

Having read the article, it sounds like we may have been looking at him last season before we knew which league we'd be in... As Webber says, in such situations they plan for both eventualities. 

15 minutes ago, NWC said:

Hahahhaaaaaa!!!

why would Utd consider loaning out an extremely talented player who featured 52 times for them last season???

Edited by CanaryNath

14 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

This. I think we have one first team striker and two backups, that’s lightweight for PL and we need two first team strikers battling for one position and a backup.

if that is our new winger then it’s a huge ask to replace Emi and fill that void also.

If Aarons is sold then having two first team strikers might be feasible, but it is such an expensive position to buy that dropping £10m on a player that will be on the bench more than playing is a luxury for Norwich right now.

Rashica played more through the centre than on the wings for Bremen, so he is well adapted to that position and isn't really a winger.

• Like 1

There’s a glaringly obvious striker who we’ve just talked about on a permanent that I’m sure we could get in on loan.

Divock Origi.

I don’t believe for a minute we couldn’t afford him on loan. Great age. Usually plays very well indeed when he gets his 5 minutes from Liverpool. I think he’s better than Tammy Abraham and Eddie Nketiah, but that’s just my opinion. Not constantly injured nor over the hill like Welbeck. 

Loan to buy at the end of the season should we do alright. Seems an absolute no brainer to me.

I Think we need another striker 

To say Pukki will be fit and on form the whole of the PL season is a massive Gamble 

if he was out injured for 6 weeks that could mean going into 6/8  games  without a proven goal scorer that could be the difference between staying up or going down 

We need someone who is going to push or even Replace Pukki 

who ?? well webber is the man he has found gems before and i am sure he knows his Targets 

2 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I Think we need another striker 

To say Pukki will be fit and on form the whole of the PL season is a massive Gamble 

if he was out injured for 6 weeks that could mean going into 6/8  games  without a proven goal scorer that could be the difference between staying up or going down 

We need someone who is going to push or even Replace Pukki 

who ?? well webber is the man he has found gems before and i am sure he knows his Targets 

16 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

There’s a glaringly obvious striker who we’ve just talked about on a permanent that I’m sure we could get in on loan.

Divock Origi.

I don’t believe for a minute we couldn’t afford him on loan. Great age. Usually plays very well indeed when he gets his 5 minutes from Liverpool. I think he’s better than Tammy Abraham and Eddie Nketiah, but that’s just my opinion. Not constantly injured nor over the hill like Welbeck. 

Loan to buy at the end of the season should we do alright. Seems an absolute no brainer to me.

Why would Liverpool loan him out? If they want to move Origi on they will sell him and probably find a long list of clubs who'd want to buy him. I doubt Origi would really be interested in coming to Norwich either.

47 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

As I've said a number of times, it's just unrealistic.

Look at Man City. Look at Tottenham. Teams that have an established star striker struggle to find a capable understudy. 

49 minutes ago, NWC said:

Mason Greenwood who the Times reports is on £75k a week?

11 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

not that many people know this, but Welbeck's dad (Stanley) was a famous bomb disposal expect

Ba-dum tsshhh 😆

25 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Divock Origi.

Liverpool want £15m to £20m for Origi. They aren't going to loan him as he's in the last year of his contract. They'll give every opportunity for him to find a permanent home. 

I don't disagree with the sentiment of having another striker, but the names being bandied around here are absolutely unrealistic. 

How about Lukas Nmecha either on loan or permanent from Man City? Was mentioned by @Bethnal Yellow and Green and @Top corner earlier on on this thread, as Sky Sports were reporting that he was available for around £7 million. Plays as a forward but can also play as a winger on the right or left-so he sounds like the reverse of Rashica.

I thought I read last week that he was about to sign for someone in the Bundesliga but can’t find that now, he has been linked with Porto but apparently they would prefer a loan.

His stats on his previous loan periods are pretty woeful-4 goals in 60 matches-but he scored 18 for Anderlecht last season and Vincent Kompany rates him-I don’t know what the standard is in the Belgian Pro-League is though.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Why would Liverpool loan him out? If they want to move Origi on they will sell him and probably find a long list of clubs who'd want to buy him. I doubt Origi would really be interested in coming to Norwich either.

Well, I personally have no idea what Divock Origi thinks about Norwich or any other club. I wouldn’t have expected us to sign Rashica given what I’ve since learned about him now, but we did. And I wouldn’t have expected to sign Darren Huckerby either from Man City when we were down in the Championship, but we did. All I know is he’s reportedly available for £13mil which is ridiculously cheap for a striker whom you say has so many suitors - wages etc may indeed be a problem but that’s who I’d like to see us aiming for now we’re making the next step up in quality - it’s hardly signing Lionel Messi is it?

Just now, Mr Angry said:

How about Lukas Nmecha either on loan or permanent from Man City? Was mentioned by @Bethnal Yellow and Green and @Top corner earlier on on this thread, as Sky Sports were reporting that he was available for around £7 million. Plays as a forward but can also play as a winger on the right or left-so he sounds like the reverse of Rashica.

I thought I read last week that he was about to sign for someone in the Bundesliga but can’t find that now, he has been linked with Porto but apparently they would prefer a loan.

His stats on his previous loan periods are pretty woeful-4 goals in 60 matches-but he scored 18 for Anderlecht last season and Vincent Kompany rates him-I don’t know what the standard is in the Belgian Pro-League is though.

Nmecha is great, but he Norwich haven't got £7m to spend on a back-up. That puts aside the who debate about whether Nmecha would want to be a back-up at Norwich right now.

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Well, I personally have no idea what Divock Origi thinks about Norwich or any other club. I wouldn’t have expected us to sign Rashica given what I’ve since learned about him now, but we did. And I wouldn’t have expected to sign Darren Huckerby either from Man City when we were down in the Championship, but we did. All I know is he’s reportedly available for £13mil which is ridiculously cheap for a striker whom you say has so many suitors - wages etc may indeed be a problem but that’s who I’d like to see us aiming for now we’re making the next step up in quality - it’s hardly signing Lionel Messi is it?

He isn't available for £13m though. Google his name and the figures bandied around are closer to £20m. And he's still a Belgian international who is probably on more than doubt Norwich's top earner. 

It's - just  - not - realistic.

6 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

Liverpool want £15m to £20m for Origi. They aren't going to loan him as he's in the last year of his contract. They'll give every opportunity for him to find a permanent home. 

I don't disagree with the sentiment of having another striker, but the names being bandied around here are absolutely unrealistic. 

Depends which reports you believe, £13mil has been mentioned on various sites. Didn’t realise he was in the last year of his contract, so I understand a loan is clearly not an option. Liverpool’s fringe players didn’t seem to be unrealistic for the likes of Bournemouth so I see no reason why we can’t attract the same. 

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Liverpool’s fringe players didn’t seem to be unrealistic for the likes of Bournemouth so I see no reason why we can’t attract the same. 

You mean the Bournemouth who had the backing of a multi billionaire and prepared to pay massive fees and wages? 

Again, not a realistic comparison.