Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

Just because this lad played well against Liverpool and Man City, in a team full of internationals doesn’t mean to say he’ll play 30 odd games in a relegation fighting squad of players. 
All I’m saying is that everyone appears to be raving about a lad who’s coming back from injury had no real game time at any level bar reserve and I’m just a little sceptical! I’m happy to see him come on loan if that’s what our club wants but I’d be far happier buying the likes of Berge or Ajar who have size and experience to rely on. We probably won’t be controlling many games but be defending more this season, it’s going to be a battle and size and strength is something we lack!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

Just because this lad played well against Liverpool and Man City, in a team full of internationals doesn’t mean to say he’ll play 30 odd games in a relegation fighting squad of players. 
All I’m saying is that everyone appears to be raving about a lad who’s coming back from injury had no real game time at any level bar reserve and I’m just a little sceptical! I’m happy to see him come on loan if that’s what our club wants but I’d be far happier buying the likes of Berge or Ajar who have size and experience to rely on. We probably won’t be controlling many games but be defending more this season, it’s going to be a battle and size and strength is something we lack!

As much as I like what I've seen from Gilmour I pretty much agree with what you're saying. We're still a team of midgets compared to other Pl teams and even our bigger players like Hanley and Gibson are only 6ft 2 and our midfield is tiny. I'd even worry about Oliver Skipp at this level to be honest never mind a smaller, more technical player like Gilmour.

I'm still worried we're just going to get out muscled and out battled next year and I'd really rather we prioritize signing stronger midfielders, for me we already have more than enough technical quality there. 

9 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

As much as I like what I've seen from Gilmour I pretty much agree with what you're saying. We're still a team of midgets compared to other Pl teams and even our bigger players like Hanley and Gibson are only 6ft 2 and our midfield is tiny. I'd even worry about Oliver Skipp at this level to be honest never mind a smaller, more technical player like Gilmour.

I'm still worried we're just going to get out muscled and out battled next year and I'd really rather we prioritize signing stronger midfielders, for me we already have more than enough technical quality there. 

Ngolo Kante is only 5’ 6”. I don’t see him out muscled week in and week out. You don’t have to be huge if you are good.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

We fell short on physicality last time around, but that’s not to say every single player has to now be a Burnley type. Point in case, James Maddison is a dinky midfielder yet he more than holds his own at this level because of his technique more than anything. So what if Billy Gilmour’s small? If you actually delve into his past performances then you will see he’s a tenacious tackler, and doesn’t often get caught in possession due to him possessing what all footballers want but not many have - a top footballing brain. 

As for your comments about him ‘just’ having a good game against Man City and Liverpool, suggesting it wasn’t down to he himself but rather the fact that he was surrounded by international players, is scraping the barrel a bit. Trust me, if you or I played in Billy’s place those games, we wouldn’t do well, and no matter of international players around us would change that. He was rightly credited for those performances, and they weren’t an accident.

Understand you questioning whether he’d be up to a possible relegation dogfight as he’d be on loan (and I don’t think we’ll be in the bottom 3 myself next season), but if that is the case then I guess there’s really no point in signing any player ever again on loan because you could put them all in that bracket and question their desire. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

We fell short on physicality last time around, but that’s not to say every single player has to now be a Burnley type. Point in case, James Maddison is a dinky midfielder yet he more than holds his own at this level because of his technique more than anything. So what if Billy Gilmour’s small? If you actually delve into his past performances then you will see he’s a tenacious tackler, and doesn’t often get caught in possession due to him possessing what all footballers want but not many have - a top footballing brain. 

As for your comments about him ‘just’ having a good game against Man City and Liverpool, suggesting it wasn’t down to he himself but rather the fact that he was surrounded by international players, is scraping the barrel a bit. Trust me, if you or I played in Billy’s place those games, we wouldn’t do well, and no matter of international players around us would change that. He was rightly credited for those performances, and they weren’t an accident.

Understand you questioning whether he’d be up to a possible relegation dogfight as he’d be on loan (and I don’t think we’ll be in the bottom 3 myself next season), but if that is the case then I guess there’s really no point in signing any player ever again on loan because you could put them all in that bracket and question their desire. 

Your last pint is pretty accurate, history tells us that loan players haven’t really been up for a relegation fight……so I agree, you need to be very careful on who you get in!

As for your second point, your judgment of Gilmour is based on three games! That’s my biggest issue with so many getting excited about a player none of us know can consistently perform! He’s going to be in a dog fight not surrounded by quality players and a team which will hold the majority of possession!

Last what makes you believe we won’t be bottom 3? I certainly hope we won’t be, but I think we will! We don’t have bid holding ball winners, we need at least one of those.

All about opinions, I’d rather loan Skipp than Gilmour, I’d be far more confident with that.

Edited by Indy

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Your last pint is pretty accurate, history tells us that loan players haven’t really been up for a relegation fight……so I agree, you need to be very careful on who you get in!

As for your second point, your judgment of Gilmour is based on three games! That’s my biggest issue with so many getting excited about a player none of us know can consistently perform! He’s going to be in a dog fight not surrounded by quality players and a team which will hold the majority of possession!

Last what makes you believe we won’t be bottom 3? I certainly hope we won’t be, but I think we will! We don’t have bid holding ball winners, we need at least one of those.

All about opinions, I’d rather loan Skipp than Gilmour, I’d be far more confident with that.

Who says the opinion is based on 3 games alone? It’s not, they were merely used as an illustration. But what a 3 games to be outstanding in! Can’t profess to having watched every single game he’s played, but I’ve seen a few and he is decent, and would bring some extra class to our midfield.

The fact is that nearly all of the players whom we will sign, both permanently and on loan, are based on potential. That is how our club works, we rarely sign the finished article.

It is all opinion, of course, Indy me old mucker, but you have basically argued that Gilmour hasn’t done anything in your eyes  - yet you want Skipp who has yet to run the show against a Liverpool or England, though to be fair, he was outstanding against the mighty Huddersfield etc. Skipp so far has more to prove at the highest level than Billy Gilmour. A great player in the Championship. but it remains to be seen if he will get a MOTM against the likes of Liverpool etc - whereas Billy has already proven in his fledgling career that he is capable of doing it on the biggest stages. 

And no, I don’t think we’re getting relegated next season. I think we have improved across the pitch, and will continue to upgrade during this window ready for August 14th. We will be ready this time. But who knows, you might be right, we shall see.

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Who says the opinion is based on 3 games alone? It’s not, they were merely used as an illustration. But what a 3 games to be outstanding in! Can’t profess to having watched every single game he’s played, but I’ve seen a few and he is decent, and would bring some extra class to our midfield.

The fact is that nearly all of the players whom we will sign, both permanently and on loan, are based on potential. That is how our club works, we rarely sign the finished article.

It is all opinion, of course, Indy me old mucker, but you have basically argued that Gilmour hasn’t done anything in your eyes  - yet you want Skipp who has yet to run the show against a Liverpool or England, though to be fair, he was outstanding against the mighty Huddersfield etc. Skipp so far has more to prove at the highest level than Billy Gilmour. A great player in the Championship. but it remains to be seen if he will get a MOTM against the likes of Liverpool etc - whereas Billy has already proven in his fledgling career that he is capable of doing it on the biggest stages. 

And no, I don’t think we’re getting relegated next season. I think we have improved across the pitch, and will continue to upgrade during this window ready for August 14th. We will be ready this time. But who knows, you might be right, we shall see.

We will, but just to say Skipp has played more first team games for Spurs than Gilmour for Chelsea, plus a full season in a championship winning team, and my view was the player most underrated in our team.

We will see but I don’t think he’ll come here, he’ll be in a Rangers shirt, but who knows……

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

We will, but just to say Skipp has played more first team games for Spurs than Gilmour for Chelsea, plus a full season in a championship winning team, and my view was the player most underrated in our team.

We will see but I don’t think he’ll come here, he’ll be in a Rangers shirt, but who knows……

I think he’s going to Rangers too, but hopefully, with any luck, we’re further down the line than what is known publicly thus far. As for Skipp, sure he’s made some Premier League appearances, but have any of them been noteworthy like Gilmour’s have? Not to my knowledge, though I’d love that to happen in future, and with us too 👍

• Like 1

I’ve no idea how good he is as the only game I’ve seen him play is the one against England. The commentators mentioned that he seemed to be struggling early on with the pace of the match-they said that he seemed to be ‘blowing‘ (I guess he could have been suffering from the effects of Covid even though he was asymptomatic) so I was quite surprised to hear Souness praising him so highly after the match.

Also worth bearing in mind that in the FA cup match against Liverpool that has been mentioned, Liverpool only had 5 or 6 of their first choice players in the starting lineup.

Whatever, if Farke and Webber want him he must be a player that they think will be an automatic starter this season so they must be he’s better than anyone we’ve currently got.

If the actual one real reason to loan out Gilmour by Chelsea is to give the lad a season of real testing to prepare him for Chelsea's first team and the Premier then there is only one choice...Norwich.

Ive no idea if the lad gets a say in where he goes but i look at Ben Gibson...he had a terrible time at Burnley and Boro were interested in him same time as City...many thought the attraction of going home to Boro would help swing his choice but turns out Norwich was  his one destination all along...and dont under estimate our pulling power these days, we have a great training complex now and are a Premier outfit...no Scottish club, even Rangers and Celtic, can give a player that.

Dont under estimate the pulling power of DF and SW either. We managed to get Skipp in when we were in the Champs...and in a season of 46 games from mid Sept. to 1st week in May..what a test that was for Ollie...and look at the end result...both City and Spurs fans rave about him.

I do kind of feel like it should be either/or with Skipp and Gilmour.

I'd be concerned about our first choice central midfield pairing consisting of two players with barely 50 starts between them, no matter the perceived ability levels. When it comes to a gruelling 38 game season, likely in a relegation battle you need players who know what it's like to play week in week put both mentally and physically. How well can Gilmours body hold up to playing 3 games in 8 days? How well can Skipp deal with losing two or three on the bounce and needing to bonce back? Of course these players have to learn somewhere and sometime but the concern is them learning next to each other without a more experienced head to help guide them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

I do kind of feel like it should be either/or with Skipp and Gilmour.

I'd be concerned about our first choice central midfield pairing consisting of two players with barely 50 starts between them, no matter the perceived ability levels. When it comes to a gruelling 38 game season, likely in a relegation battle you need players who know what it's like to play week in week put both mentally and physically. How well can Gilmours body hold up to playing 3 games in 8 days? How well can Skipp deal with losing two or three on the bounce and needing to bonce back? Of course these players have to learn somewhere and sometime but the concern is them learning next to each other without a more experienced head to help guide them.

I agree to an extent but it is not as if we don't have other players to share the load - Sorensen (whose best position this apparently is), McLean and Rupp. The unknown factor is how much do we have left to spend (I believe more than the EDP seems to think) and how much is going to have to go on a central defender and a striker or winger/striker, if, as I also believe, we still need one of those despite Rashica's arrival.

22 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I agree to an extent but it is not as if we don't have other players to share the load - Sorensen (whose best position this apparently is), McLean and Rupp. The unknown factor is how much do we have left to spend (I believe more than the EDP seems to think) and how much is going to have to go on a central defender and a striker or winger/striker, if, as I also believe, we still need one of those despite Rashica's arrival.

MB seemed confident that we're after two central midfielders and that doesn't include Skipp. I think any decision from Spurs will come late in the window so we can't rely on it- him coming in would likely be a (relatively) cheap bonus.

Sorenson is the big unknown at this point. I really like what I've seen of him but it's mainly been at left back. We don't honestly know if he's good enough in central midfield in the Championship let alone the top division. Maybe if he really shows up in pre season it could change our thinking though.

I'm also of the view we may well not use a true number 10 most weeks and instead play a more solid midfield 3- in which case Kenny may end up further up the pitch with two behind him. If so I don't think Sorenson, Kenny, Skipp Gilmour and Rupp is enough to cover those three positions.

52 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

If the actual one real reason to loan out Gilmour by Chelsea is to give the lad a season of real testing to prepare him for Chelsea's first team and the Premier then there is only one choice...Norwich.

I mean we are all assuming this, but if he’s as good as people think and Chelsea seem to expect him to be in touching distance of a regular in their first team, are we really going to be the only interested PL club? 

With finances the way they are loans are going to make a lot of sense this year for a lot of clubs. I’m really hopeful and excited about the prospect of getting him (and hopefully Skipp too) but I’m going to be really surprised if we are the only PL club interested in both.

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

As far as I can see, there isn’t anybody on this thread suggesting that it will be a step up just on the basis he will get to play Celtic. There are a multitude of reasons already stated why Rangers will be a big draw for him over Norwich, and that is why there’s a very real chance he will choose them. We can keep playing the offer of Premier League football til we’re blue in the face, but realistically, from his point of view, that’s all we’re likely offering him.

And that's a massive step up from Rangers 🤷‍♂️. Does he want to play a lower level for the club he supports or have the ambition to test himself for a season. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

And that's a massive step up from Rangers 🤷‍♂️. Does he want to play a lower level for the club he supports or have the ambition to test himself for a season. 

I guess we’ll soon find out, but as it’s only for a mere season, then having a more than excellent chance of getting a league winners medal in his trophy cabinet with the team he loves is a massive massive pull. How could that honestly not be any *more* appealing to him?

34 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I guess we’ll soon find out, but as it’s only for a mere season, then having a more than excellent chance of getting a league winners medal in his trophy cabinet with the team he loves is a massive massive pull. How could that honestly not be any *more* appealing to him?

I'm not arguing with that, I guess we'll soon see his ambition level, although I suspect Chelsea would prefer him coming here than the SPL, so he might not get that choice. 

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'm not arguing with that, I guess we'll soon see his ambition level, although I suspect Chelsea would prefer him coming here than the SPL, so he might not get that choice. 

Tbh I'm already concerned if he's seriously considering Rangers. We need players who are going to be up for a relegation scrap not naffing around in the SPL to get a trophy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I think we will get him if Chelsea decide it’s the best place for him to go, if he gets the choice I’d be really surprised if he didn’t pick Rangers honestly.

If he continues his development as people expect this may be his only viable career opportunity to play for Rangers other than maybe if he fades in his twilight years or plays on past 35. As people are pointing out they are already on the cusp of him being beyond them as a club.

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think we will get him if Chelsea decide it’s the best place for him to go, if he gets the choice I’d be really surprised if he didn’t pick Rangers honestly.

If he continues his development as people expect this may be his only viable career opportunity to play for Rangers other than maybe if he fades in his twilight years or plays on past 35. As people are pointing out they are already on the cusp of him being beyond them as a club.

Although you would think that if he’s that desperate to play for Rangers he wouldn’t have left their academy to move to Chelsea. 

16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Although you would think that if he’s that desperate to play for Rangers he wouldn’t have left their academy to move to Chelsea. 

There’s a difference in personal ambitions when looking at your career versus one year of work. 

Somewhat random shout: Antonin Barak is playing a very nice game in CM for the Czechs today. Likely out of our price range though but someone like that who has real physicality would be very nice indeed!

31 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Somewhat random shout: Antonin Barak is playing a very nice game in CM for the Czechs today. Likely out of our price range though but someone like that who has real physicality would be very nice indeed!

Funny you should say that, Carolina - the ITV commentators said there are several Premier League clubs looking at Spartak Moscow’s defensive midfielder Alex Král - as you can probably write off the top 6 or 7 clubs from that list, and the fact that we’re in the market for a defensive midfielder who wouldn’t cost the earth, I have a sneaking feeling that we could be one of those clubs?

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Funny you should say that, Carolina - the ITV commentators said there are several Premier League clubs looking at Spartak Moscow’s defensive midfielder Alex Král - as you can probably write off the top 6 or 7 clubs from that list, and the fact that we’re in the market for a defensive midfielder who wouldn’t cost the earth, I have a sneaking feeling that we could be one of those clubs?

Weirdly, I’ve just found this - looks like he’s been on our radar before, but we got Amadou instead. Hmmm...

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-transfer-rumours-alex-kral-1824782

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

West Ham were linked for a £15m - £20m move for him just before the Euros started. He’s certainly out of Norwich’s price bracket. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

Just now, TheGoogler said:

Good way to end a Sunday! Looking forward to seeing him next season, he looks a proper talent.

Yep, it’s sounding very positive now, Googler! - cracking little player! The report also mentions Phil Billing is indeed a player of interest - don’t think he’s all that in a defensive role, but speaking to Cherries fans, they reckon he’s far more effective further up the pitch.