Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

1 minute ago, FatCanary said:

I used to be very Rupp over McLean but the way Kenny has continued to improve, I can't see Lukas displacing him anymore.

Rupp is a little bit too much of what they refer to in Germany as a shuttle player to work as well alongside Gilmour because I think they have similar patterns of distribution- I'm not saying Rupp isn't an option there, rather that I think Kenny's pass selection suits us better, particularly pinging diagonals into wide areas if Rashica is on the run.

Dunno there, Rupp's steadier in possession than McLean to me and a bit less prone to a lapse in concentration, either in possession or out of it. McLean's a bit more complete in that he's better in the air, and both McLean and Rupp have very healthy work rates, but if I were to describe their habits in possession then I'd say this: McLean likes a Hollywood ball now and again, whereas Rupp isn't interested in an incisive ball, he's all about telling ones.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Dunno there, Rupp's steadier in possession than McLean to me and a bit less prone to a lapse in concentration, either in possession or out of it. McLean's a bit more complete in that he's better in the air, and both McLean and Rupp have very healthy work rates, but if I were to describe their habits in possession then I'd say this: McLean likes a Hollywood ball now and again, whereas Rupp isn't interested in an incisive ball, he's all about telling ones.

Not reeeaaalllly sure what you're driving at with the 'telling ones' with respect.

We were quietly effective with the Skipp'n'Rupp early on in the season and I liked it, but I feel we were infinitely more dynamic once Kenny hit form. He's just a better all round midfielder and he's starting if he's fit. But then again, that's not really the conversation here....it is however what Farke will do.

3 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Not reeeaaalllly sure what you're driving at with the 'telling ones' with respect.

We were quietly effective with the Skipp'n'Rupp early on in the season and I liked it, but I feel we were infinitely more dynamic once Kenny hit form. He's just a better all round midfielder and he's starting if he's fit. But then again, that's not really the conversation here....it is however what Farke will do.

Right, I tend to define an incisive ball as one that cuts open a defence to create a relatively clear chance or opening to create a chance, whereas a telling ball as one that just leaves the opposing side a bit ill-at-ease, or gives them some shuttling to cover. Rupp's all about balls that keep defenders guessing a bit, but he's not showed much inclination to come up with something that slices clean through. Although he did have that game at Luton where he played at 10, and actually did come up with some very incisive passing that day.

Just saying that in the deep, he plays a shade more conservatively in possession and looks to move the other team around and discomfit them, that's all. 

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 hour ago, Bonzo said:

I may get shot down for saying this but there is an emerging case that we might be about to abandon 4231 in favour of 3421.

Rashica is the first clue he's not got the defensive DNA that Emi had and is a more out and out attacking player ideal for the 2.

Gilmour is the second clue (he could play in the 6 or 8 in a 4231) but is better in a double pivot of 3421.

The next clue is who we have to beat Burnley play a 442 which mostly trumps a 4231 and Watford and Brentford both play 433 probably the best counter to 433 is 3421.

The next clue is Dortmund and their performance stats relative to their predicted performance stats statistically 3421 gives them a boost. Farke and Webber who are both great students of the game will know all about this and Tuchel is a more recent example.

Next clue if we are not playing 4231 or not playing it much we don't need Steipi as back up number 10 - assuming rumour is a good one.

Next clue Hanley is a better player in a 3.

Ajer is a player who could also play is a 3 and who can also bring the ball out.

Sorensen is back up for either CB or central mid

Placheta is an ideal player for the 2 and may be back up to Todd but because 3421 relies on fast counter attacking he is a more ideal player for 3421 than he is in a 4231.Idah is also a possible back up to Rashica in this formation.

Add to this Giannoulis and Arrons for the wide slots in the 4.

Lets assume also that we will play a lot more without the ball in the premiership it seems obvious to me that we need to offer a counter attacking threat in addition to a more robust defensive set up.

In short we have the players to play this formation.

One final clue. Farke is on record as saying that we need to be brave.

This could mean anything of course but one thing that is brave is changing formation. 

This all makes sense. I'm just not sure how Cantwell or Dowell would fit in to that system, and I'm really not convinced that Placheta has enough ability on the ball. It would make us much more solid in the defensive areas of the pitch at the expense of having a number 10.

The wide attackers would be relieved of some of their defensive responsibilities, no longer having to double up with the wingbacks as the extra CB and one holding CDM could cover the wide areas. The AMs would of course have to drop into the central areas when we don't have the ball.

I would just worry about our rapid transition play without a number 10. I fear that Pukki would be isolated and the two AMs would struggle to find as much space without the extra body to pull the defenders around. Maybe the extra attacking freedom of the wingbacks would give us more options, I just can't quite picture how it will work in practice.

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

This all makes sense. I'm just not sure how Cantwell or Dowell would fit in to that system, and I'm really not convinced that Placheta has enough ability on the ball. It would make us much more solid in the defensive areas of the pitch at the expense of having a number 10.

The wide attackers would be relieved of some of their defensive responsibilities, no longer having to double up with the wingbacks as the extra CB and one holding CDM could cover the wide areas. The AMs would of course have to drop into the central areas when we don't have the ball.

I would just worry about our rapid transition play without a number 10. I fear that Pukki would be isolated and the two AMs would struggle to find as much space without the extra body to pull the defenders around. Maybe the extra attacking freedom of the wingbacks would give us more options, I just can't quite picture how it will work in practice.

In theory, with the wingbacks, if both get up then they pose defenders a different problem as with two attacking midfielders it gives defenders the "do I push up or do I stay in the line?" dilemma and moreover, it occupies the whole of their back four across the whole of the pitch. That could easily give an attacking midfielder a pocket or two to play in, or if a full back wanders in a bit, the wingback could get in behind.

Basically, by expanding play across the pitch it aims to create pockets of space in front of the defence to play in so a striker can run off the shoulder and be available for a through ball. Without the wingbacks, the other team can basically do a Scotland against England and gum up the middle of the pitch.

• Like 1

I'm assuming Farke wants the ability to be flexible. I'm not totally convinced we'll be using a classic number 10 most weeks but I'm also not sure we'd go back 3 week in week out.

So maybe it would be something like...

Krul

Aarons, Ajer, Gibson, Giannoulis

Gilmour   Skipp (or another) 

McLean

Rashica                    Cantwell

Pukki

McLean not filling in a full number 10 role but having two solid players behind him to allow him to break and get closer to Pukki.

With the option to play....

Krul

Ajer    Hanley    Gibson

Aarons     Gilmour  McLean     Giannoulis

Rashica        Pukki       Cantwell

36 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

As an aside, I'm sure it's been discussed but if it has I've not seen it, I'm sure there was an article on here stating we aren't likely to be in for any more support for Pukki as we have Idah.

I love the boldness of that. Certainly Adam has the raw physical attributes to succeed, no doubts about his pace or athleticism, but it is interesting after an injury blighted Championship season that they are still fully sticking their eggs in his basket.

I have nothing against that, they've clearly seen something and obviously we employ football coaches above my level of understanding, so I'm excited to find out just why they think Idah is ready to be our backup centre forward in the Premier League.

I'm not sure I've quite seen that myself, but I have liked Idah when I've seen him play.

I think that sums up my thoughts on Idah. I'm not fully convinced that he's ready to be Pukki's main backup next season but if Farke and his staff deem him ready, then I'll trust them.

32 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

His international performances were a clue in my opinion. Yes, he's not scored, but he has demonstrated a maturity and application in his play for Ireland, often with very little to work with, but he's kept going hard and making a nuisance of himself.

We'll be up against better defences so an ability to keep going and scrapping for titbits is going to be very useful for us.

I've seen bits and bobs of Idah for Ireland and whilst I agree with what you're saying about his application, I don't think I've ever seen him look like scoring. If he were getting chances or putting himself in the right areas to miss then that's half the battle, but for Ireland he doesn't even seem to be doing that. Hopefully his positioning and off the ball movement come with time and experience.

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think that sums up my thoughts on Idah. I'm not fully convinced that he's ready to be Pukki's main backup next season but if Farke and his staff deem him ready, then I'll trust them.

I've seen bits and bobs of Idah for Ireland and whilst I agree with what you're saying about his application, I don't think I've ever seen him look like scoring. If he were getting chances or putting himself in the right areas to miss then that's half the battle, but for Ireland he doesn't even seem to be doing that. Hopefully his positioning and off the ball movement come with time and experience.

I watched him play for Ireland and was surprised by his lack of threat.

He seemed to be hiding, hanging back. Roy Keane slammmed him for that and thoroughly criticised the fact that he did not seek to put himself into goal-scoring positions.

Overall, I thought he was ok, but just that.

Then came the injury, then Covid (or the other way around) which meant that last season amounted to a slight backward step for Idah.

Except that, problems over, he began to show a bit of a revival when brought on as sub towards last season's end.

Let's hope that he emerges from the Summer break the player we anticipated him to be.

I'd still prefer Bree Embolo. That would make my Summer. No chance of that I fear.

28 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Right, I tend to define an incisive ball as one that cuts open a defence to create a relatively clear chance or opening to create a chance, whereas a telling ball as one that just leaves the opposing side a bit ill-at-ease, or gives them some shuttling to cover. Rupp's all about balls that keep defenders guessing a bit, but he's not showed much inclination to come up with something that slices clean through. Although he did have that game at Luton where he played at 10, and actually did come up with some very incisive passing that day.

Just saying that in the deep, he plays a shade more conservatively in possession and looks to move the other team around and discomfit them, that's all. 

I agree with that, but playing that sort of ball is what Gilmour is here to do, which is why in my view you're gonna see Kenny with him, for that impetus and desire to play a progressive pass. Not that any of this is set in stone..mind.

I like Lukas Rupp and am more than happy to see him in the team, just not sure a Rupp-Gilmour partnership works.

The proof, as they say...

13 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I watched him play for Ireland and was surprised by his lack of threat.

He seemed to be hiding, hanging back. Roy Keane slammmed him for that and thoroughly criticised the fact that he did not seek to put himself into goal-scoring positions.

Overall, I thought he was ok, but just that.

Then came the injury, then Covid (or the other way around) which meant that last season amounted to a slight backward step for Idah.

Except that, problems over, he began to show a bit of a revival when brought on as sub towards last season's end.

Let's hope that he emerges from the Summer break the player we anticipated him to be.

I'd still prefer Bree Embolo. That would make my Summer. No chance of that I fear.

His movement isnt great at this stage. He needs to play regularly to improve on aspects of his game, for me he needs a loan. But Norwich may wish to keep him around and utilise him this season rather than spending a big wedge on a back up striker.

50 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

But again, this is all waaaaay too speculative really.

Talking of which how it Emi's transfer to Arsenal going? You know the one from your mate - who knows everything Arsenal?

• Haha 2

I like the suggestion for 3-4-2-1 but I can't see it actually happening. The rumours started after Tuchel mentioned us playing with two number 6's, he's a rival manager, he will have no idea if whether we're planning on changing tactics next year he just meant that we play with 2 deep lying midfielders in a 4-2-3-1.

I think the 4321 works really well for us in the Championship because we dominate the ball and having 3 number 10's helps us pick open defenses. But we will be lucky to get 50% possession against any team next year barring 2 or 3 teams. Playing three out and out attacking players behind a striker playing on the shoulder will just leave us too light in midfield and our defense exposed again. 

Last year was great and all and there was a definite improvement in our solidarity from our last promotion campaign but memories of 19/20 are still clear and vivid in my mind and we just got absolutely dominated in midfield in almost every game, we looked like a team of u-18's playing senior sides, we were just miles and miles away physically and I think we should try to compensate for that by packing our midfield and having an extra man in defense and relying on 3 attacking players to work on the counter. 

I'm worried if we line up the same and try to pass through teams again next year then it's going to be another horror show. As much as I love Farke though I don't think he's going to suddenly decide to change how we line up and play and I can see next year being another painful lesson. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

20 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

His movement isnt great at this stage. He needs to play regularly to improve on aspects of his game, for me he needs a loan. But Norwich may wish to keep him around and utilise him this season rather than spending a big wedge on a back up striker.

Just on the spending a wedge on backup to Pukki, we are getting too hung up on the cost of a 'backup' we should be signing a backup for the start of next season, but a player who wil be the first choice in 12-18 months or we will be spending even bigger then. Much as I love Pukki, he is at or past his peak, we need to spend big now to get his replacement in the door to allow for a smooth transition. Yes he may not be starting every game at first, but he should be able to put pressure on Pukki and ultimately replace him, which is why I wouldn't be against us spending big on a backup in this instance (which is why I think the Adam Armstrong link makes an awful lot of sense, even at £15m. Last sesason his stats were pretty similar to Pukki so would offer a good option now, but his best years should be in front of him to take up where Pukki leaves off).

Edited by cornish sam
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Just on the spending a wedge on backup to Pukki, we are getting too hung up on the cost of a 'backup' we should be signing a backup for the start of next season, but a player who wil be the first choice in 12-18 months or we will be spending even bigger then. Much as I love Pukki, he is at or past his peak, we need to spend big now to get his replacement in the door to allow for a smooth transition. Yes he may not be starting every game at first, but he should be able to put pressure on Pukki and ultimately replace him, which is why I wouldn't be against us spending big on a backup in this instance (which is why I think the Adam Armstrong link makes an awful lot of sense, even at £15m. Last sesason his stats were pretty similar to Pukki so would offer a good option now, but his best years should be in front of him to take up where Pukki leaves off).

I agree. 

12 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

As much as I love Farke though I don't think he's going to suddenly decide to change how we line up and play and I can see next year being another painful lesson.

So you don't think we'll have learnt any lessons whatsoever from the last time we were in the Prem? You don't think shoring up the defence in the last Champ was evidence of Farke thinking something needed to change? And you don't think their recognition of letting lightweight players like Trybull and Leitner go for those who can go the extra mile in the Prem is again proof the coaching staff have changed their approach to this upcoming season??

9 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Just on the spending a wedge on backup to Pukki, we are getting too hung up on the cost of a 'backup' we should be signing a backup for the start of next season, but a player who wil be the first choice in 12-18 months. Much as I love Pukki, he is at or past his peak, we need to spend big now to get his replacement in the door to allow for a smooth transition. Yes he may not be starting every game at first, but he should be able to put pressure on Pukki and ultimately replace him, which is why I wouldn't be against us spending big on a backup in this instance (which is why I think the Adam Armstrong link makes an awful lot of sense, even at £15m. Last sesason his stats were pretty similar to Pukki so would offer a good option now, but his best years should be in front of him to take up where Pukki leaves off).

Surely the priority has to be getting in the defender and central midfielder?

There almost certainly isn't the budget to bring in two big signings in those positions and then spending an additional £15m(ish) on a player who will mostly be on the bench. Strikers are the most expensive players to sign, Norwich need to maximise where their money goes and spending on a striker, and reducing the amount to spend on a defender/midfielder doesn't make the best strategy.

Rashica has played as a central striker for Werder Bremen many times and can provide competition and cover for Pukki. I'm sure once Webber/Scott know how much needs to be spent on the priority positions they will look to bring in attacking options (which could be one of a winger/attacking mid/striker). 

20 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I like the suggestion for 3-4-2-1 but I can't see it actually happening. The rumours started after Tuchel mentioned us playing with two number 6's, he's a rival manager, he will have no idea if whether we're planning on changing tactics next year he just meant that we play with 2 deep lying midfielders in a 4-2-3-1.

I think the 4321 works really well for us in the Championship because we dominate the ball and having 3 number 10's helps us pick open defenses. But we will be lucky to get 50% possession against any team next year barring 2 or 3 teams. Playing three out and out attacking players behind a striker playing on the shoulder will just leave us too light in midfield and our defense exposed again. 

Last year was great and all and there was a definite improvement in our solidarity from our last promotion campaign but memories of 19/20 are still clear and vivid in my mind and we just got absolutely dominated in midfield in almost every game, we looked like a team of u-18's playing senior sides, we were just miles and miles away physically and I think we should try to compensate for that by packing our midfield and having an extra man in defense and relying on 3 attacking players to work on the counter. 

I'm worried if we line up the same and try to pass through teams again next year then it's going to be another horror show. As much as I love Farke though I don't think he's going to suddenly decide to change how we line up and play and I can see next year being another painful lesson. 

Totally agree with you on what happened two seasons ago. Will be very interesting to see how Farke tackles this season and whether he sets up any differently. I doubt he will personally. 

38 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Talking of which how it Emi's transfer to Arsenal going? You know the one from your mate - who knows everything Arsenal?

you're so vain, you probably think this song is about you

Just now, FatCanary said:

you're so vain, you probably think this song is about you

Why dont you try to answer the question, that was on topic? 

Just a thought

6 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Totally agree with you on what happened two seasons ago. Will be very interesting to see how Farke tackles this season and whether he sets up any differently. I doubt he will personally. 

I disagree that we got dominated in midfield in every game. It certainly happened, but a lot less frequently before the restart, where it definitely did happen every game but with a whole host of mitigating factors.

That said, we are still searching for another central midfielder and I expect someone with good feet for a big lad, so to speak.

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Why dont you try to answer the question, that was on topic? 

Just a thought

I thought it would happen because he thought it would happen, but the problem in his case with having Arsenal tinted glasses is you sometimes get all dewy eyed over what a big club you are and forget how many transfers you've utterly c0cked up.

It didn't happen and Emi went to Villa. 

Rumours expire, so does relevance. On topic is stretching it.

I see the ncfc ITK person on twitter has suggested Marco Stiepermann about to depart. 

Would be very sad, but understandable.

Just now, FatCanary said:

I thought it would happen because he thought it would happen, but the problem in his case with having Arsenal tinted glasses is you sometimes get all dewy eyed over what a big club you are and forget how many transfers you've utterly c0cked up.

It didn't happen and Emi went to Villa. 

Rumours expire, so does relevance. On topic is stretching it.

So you got sucked in. You were certain it would happen, as your mate knew all things Arsenal, that was my point at the time, and again now. 

Emi's gone to Villa? really? I must have missed that one. Or perhaps you don't do irony. Or Humour. 

Exactly, it was a rumour, not the fact you presented it as. 

My post was more on topic that your original reply, and was no where near as stretched as Emi to Arsenal. 

Have a good day. 

1 minute ago, TheGoogler said:

I see the ncfc ITK person on twitter has suggested Marco Stiepermann about to depart. 

Would be very sad, but understandable.

Yes - seen their  message - they are usually reliable. 

Just now, Greavsy said:

Have a good day.

I bet he is, he's  incorrigible,  but not offensive or got a superior attitude  or any other obnoxious  traits. Why go for him? He brings a bit of light  hearted fun to this occasionally  stodgy forum.

Cambridgeo  for President/ PM/ chief  medical officer.... it'd be fun.

21 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Surely the priority has to be getting in the defender and central midfielder?

There almost certainly isn't the budget to bring in two big signings in those positions and then spending an additional £15m(ish) on a player who will mostly be on the bench. Strikers are the most expensive players to sign, Norwich need to maximise where their money goes and spending on a striker, and reducing the amount to spend on a defender/midfielder doesn't make the best strategy.

Rashica has played as a central striker for Werder Bremen many times and can provide competition and cover for Pukki. I'm sure once Webber/Scott know how much needs to be spent on the priority positions they will look to bring in attacking options (which could be one of a winger/attacking mid/striker). 

Exactly. Get the defence and midfield sorted out, and the attacking midfielders can hang around at the other end a bit more. We suffered badly last time out because we lost three centre-halves at once and the whole team ended up in a low block out of necessity, so it was bloody hard getting further up the pitch.

We need a centre-half and an absolute **** for the middle of the pitch.

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I bet he is, he's  incorrigible,  but not offensive or got a superior attitude  or any other obnoxious  traits. Why go for him? He brings a bit of light  hearted fun to this occasionally  stodgy forum.

Cambridgeo  for President/ PM/ chief  medical officer.... it'd be fun.

Never said he was any of those. 

Was just pointing out his comment of everything being too speculative. Surely they are by definition on a transfer thread forum. unless you know some one who knows all things about the club involved. 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Never said he was any of those. 

Was just pointing out his comment of everything being too speculative. Surely they are by definition on a transfer thread forum. unless you know some one who knows all things about the club involved. 

Exactly, no one can be sure until its done, so why bother trying to put him straight about a rumour that turned out didn't happen. It won't have any effect on his post/ thread/ rumour  output. Like I said, he's  incorrigible...in a nice way. 

If Rupp and McClean are our first choice midfield then we are going into the season with the same personnel we went down with. Already shown to be too lightweight against the bottom half units. We need improvements with them moving to back up - or we stand still