Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

I might be considered slightly nuts but Phil Jones is 29, he has a lot of experience and is a decent player when on form.

I find it odd that people would be happy with Scott Dann or Cahill at 34/35 but not Jones who is still a decent age who could yet give us 2-3 good seasons if not more if managed like Cahill and Dann.

Only issue we have is we can't loan him so a purchase would be needed. I suspect he'd be available for less than £10m. Not only that, but I seem to remember that he played DM. I'm not suggesting he'd be the answer to both but he would give us cover in both. He'll be keen as he clearly wants games. And you know he is physical. He ticks most of the boxes.

Jones is incredibly injury prone and was past his best 5 years ago. Agree that he is vastly experienced and was a good player previously, but it would be a waste of money in my book as I don’t see him having the quality (or the legs) to keep us up, and we’d be lumbered with him in Championship where he wouldn’t want to be.

Cahill and Dann on the other hand are not injury prone, have played regular football in every recent season and would cost nothing in transfer fees and I suspect significantly less in wages.

Considering that Jones would also need to take a 70% pay cut, it just won’t happen.

28 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Actually, the word is that he is even considering going on loan to the Championship this season so I would imagine wages are not an issue, I can only guess Utd would be paying the bulk of them as obviously there won’t be a club in the Championship that will pick up a £100k a week wage for him. 

I don't think it'll happen, but Jones on loan wouldn't be a crazy idea. He is only 29, and wants to prove himself in the premiership to get his career back on track. Man U will want to offload at least a percentage of his wages. Good competition for Gibson and Hanley, and doesn't block Andrew's path to the first team...I'd take it. 

Scrap that - just remembered we've used up our loan quota. 

Edited by NeonKlaws
I'm an idiot

There won't be any more incomings this side of the Leicester game. 

This will be one of the few occasions where Norwich will be one of the active clubs going into the last few hours on transfer deadline day. 

7 minutes ago, NeonKlaws said:

I don't think it'll happen, but Jones on loan wouldn't be a crazy idea. He is only 29, and wants to prove himself in the premiership to get his career back on track. Man U will want to offload at least a percentage of his wages. Good competition for Gibson and Hanley, and doesn't block Andrew's path to the first team...I'd take it. 

Cant get him on loan as we've filled the 2 domestic loan spots, and one of them was already from Man Utd anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Cant get him on loan as we've filled the 2 domestic loan spots, and one of them was already from Man Utd anyway. 

Other than that….

32 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Jones is incredibly injury prone and was past his best 5 years ago. Agree that he is vastly experienced and was a good player previously, but it would be a waste of money in my book as I don’t see him having the quality (or the legs) to keep us up, and we’d be lumbered with him in Championship where he wouldn’t want to be.

Cahill and Dann on the other hand are not injury prone, have played regular football in every recent season and would cost nothing in transfer fees and I suspect significantly less in wages.

Considering that Jones would also need to take a 70% pay cut, it just won’t happen.

Cahill played 20 games last season and 21 the season before that. Dann has been injury prone and hasn't played more than 20 games in the league in a season since the 16/17 season. In 17/18 he ruptured his cruciate ligament which may explain the various "knocks" he picked up and why he has never played that many games in a season since.

French report that a 'newly promoted team' is after Mahdi Camara. He is an excellent young defensive midfielder and as Watford and Brentford have both already signed new defensive midfielders, it feels most likely it is Norwich in for him.

https://www.leprogres.fr/sport/2021/08/24/mercato-a-l-asse-des-clubs-prets-a-degainer-pour-mahdi-camara

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

French report that a 'newly promoted team' is after Mahdi Camara. He is an excellent young defensive midfielder and as Watford and Brentford have both already signed new defensive midfielders, it feels most likely it is Norwich in for him.

https://www.leprogres.fr/sport/2021/08/24/mercato-a-l-asse-des-clubs-prets-a-degainer-pour-mahdi-camara

Granted, it was 25 years ago when I did French GCSE, but that looks like a price of 5 million Euro - at least according to TransferMarkt, so taken with a Dead Sea-sized pinch of salt....

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Granted, it was 25 years ago when I did French GCSE, but that looks like a price of 5 million Euro - at least according to TransferMarkt, so taken with a Dead Sea-sized pinch of salt....

Would definitely cost more than €5m and hard to see him leave for less than €10m - but he has almost certainly outgrown St Etienne and it was expected he'd leave this summer. The slow market has meant there hasn't been as much interest in him as maybe he and his agent had hoped, which could open a window of opportunity for a Norwich sized club to take advantage. 

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Would definitely cost more than €5m and hard to see him leave for less than €10m - but he has almost certainly outgrown St Etienne and it was expected he'd leave this summer. The slow market has meant there hasn't been as much interest in him as maybe he and his agent had hoped, which could open a window of opportunity for a Norwich sized club to take advantage. 

Worked with Lees-Melou, so why the hell not?

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It says he is unhappy with his salary, so a move to an EPL club seems logical. Even we would pay quite an increase, I assume.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Cant wait to see him playing in red and white for the bees

Brentford have already signed Onyeka and have a whole bunch of defensive midfielders, not sure it is an area they are looking to strengthen. 

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It says he is unhappy with his salary, so a move to an EPL club seems logical. Even we would pay quite an increase, I assume.

Online search seems to suggest he is on less than 10k a week.

3 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Online search seems to suggest he is on less than 10k a week.

The story says a mid-table EPL club are interested and one of the three promoted sides. it says Camara is only getting about half what a fellow player (Zaydou Youssouf) is getting and that St-Etienne recently sold a player who was on 200,000 euros  a month (roughly £42,000 a week, which seems a touch high?) to reduce their wage bill.

To me this would be a much better signing than Normann so hopefully we bring him in. Interestingly he wears number 8 for St Etienne. Does that suggest he is a box to box type player or is he more of an outright CDM?

2 minutes ago, Jpootz said:

To me this would be a much better signing than Normann so hopefully we bring him in. Interestingly he wears number 8 for St Etienne. Does that suggest he is a box to box type player or is he more of an outright CDM?

Numbers mean nothing... Steve Morison wore 5 for us ha

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The story says a mid-table EPL club are interested and one of the three promoted sides. it says Camara is only getting about half what a fellow player (Zaydou Youssouf) is getting and that St-Etienne recently sold a player who was on 200,000 euros  a month (roughly £42,000 a week, which seems a touch high?) to reduce their wage bill.

It seems St-Etienne really do need to cut the wage bill. If so they might be more amenable than Rostov are to a loan deal with an option or obligation to buy.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It seems St-Etienne really do need to cut the wage bill. If so they might be more amenable than Rostov are to a loan deal with an option or obligation to buy.

Camara is Puel's favourite at St Etienne so would be pained to sell him, let alone loan him out. As it says, Camara is a relatively low earner at the club so getting him out on loan wouldn't be of great help to them. Think it would have to be a permanent buy or nothing.

56 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Cheers Bethnal, whereas it doesn’t mention us, I do like your thinking, and your detective work does give us all at least something to think about on another quiet day! 👍

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Camara is Puel's favourite at St Etienne so would be pained to sell him, let alone loan him out. As it says, Camara is a relatively low earner at the club so getting him out on loan wouldn't be of great help to them. Think it would have to be a permanent buy or nothing.

Bethnal, I take the point, but I was only contrasting it with Rostov, who seem dead set against a loan/obligation/option deal.

He’s certainly isn’t shy at putting his foot in & breaking up the opposition’s attack. From that little YouTube clip, he looks like just what we are looking for. 

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Bethnal, I take the point, but I was only contrasting it with Rostov, who seem dead set against a loan/obligation/option deal.

Oh yeah, I'd consider it unlikely either team would go for the loan with an option deal. It just seems too risky for any club to let an important player go to Norwich with them only getting the full fee on survival. 

Interesting though St Etienne are trying to shift Zaydou Youssouf on loan - and he could also be a good option for Norwich.

4 hours ago, kirku said:

Can't you see it? It's outrageous! He was out. In Switzerland. While we were playing.

And what's in Switzerland? That's right, mountains.

Mountains!

He's saying we've got a mountain to climb to stay in this league!

You know something else they're famous for? Chocolate.

I bet he found it hilarious insinuating our defence is as much good as chocolate fireguard.

And another thing - cuckoo clocks....

At least you stopped short of drawing parallels between our defence and Swiss cheese 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1