Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Big big shame, yet another one I was hoping would make a 1st team breakthrough and be on for the future joins the loan army..

How do you think they make it into the first team?

I suspect he's a player we would have been introducing had we been in the championship. But it's not fair on the confidence and development of these players to make their first team debuts against the likes of Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc.

QPR are a good team with an underrated manager and I think McCallum will do very well there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Why?..we have Dimi as our main and Sorensen has proved himself adequate there.

But Sorensen was signed as a central midfielder, and we will need him in that position. If (big if) Byram can regain match fitness he can definitely play LB. A little surprised/disappointed McCallum has gone out on loan, thought he'd be a fair backup for Dimi.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Not questioning Giannoulis’ place. But if he gets injured I for one wouldn’t feel comfortable relying on one make shift LB for a Premier league season in Lungi - I’m guessing you would?

Bali Mumba and Byram can play left and right back (according to Farke at least). If Bryam's fitness is okay then don't need another, if it isn't then there could be an issue. Dimi and Aarons will be the go to guys and both seem to very rarely get injured. In a perfect world Norwich get someone in as really safe cover, but how much budget would they like to allocate towards it?

A loan could be useful, but find a club and player who will be prepared to be back up to the current fullbacks will be very difficult.

7 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

You can’t play a player so out of position in the premier league and get away with it though. Massive difference doing it adequately against championship sides than versus Chelsea, for example. He’d be an absolute target week in, week out. Full back needs are obviously going to be very dependent on Aarons and Byram. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Not questioning Giannoulis’ place. But if he gets injured I for one wouldn’t feel comfortable relying on one make shift LB for a Premier league season in Lungi - I’m guessing you would?

Does'nt matter how i feel about it Alex, its how DF feels about it that matters...and yea..Byram to can do a job there. Point being is that if Mcallum signs for QPR does it really alter our LB  needs?..i can reverse  the  situation and ask you a question...if Dimi does get injured do you  really think McCallum was the next obvious candidate to play in that position?...i just feel Sorensen...and yes Byram...would be way ahead of McCallum in that situation.

• Thanks 1

Haven’t got any problem with McCallum going out on loan to QPR. As someone mentioned above, QPR are good team and have high hopes next season. I’d much rather he was playing week-in week-out for a team doing well in the Championship than warming our bench or occasionally getting a start in a cup game for us. He’ll be a better player because of it and will (hopefully) push Dimi for a starting spot when he’s back.

However, I do think we need at least 1 other fullback option, preferably someone who is comfortable on either side. I would worry if at the end of the transfer window we’re relying on Dimi, Aarons and Byram (I expect Mumba to be going out on loan). 

I don’t doubt Byram’s ability, but he’s going to take a long time to get near full match fitness after being out for so long. 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bali Mumba and Byram can play left and right back (according to Farke at least). If Bryam's fitness is okay then don't need another, if it isn't then there could be an issue. Dimi and Aarons will be the go to guys and both seem to very rarely get injured. In a perfect world Norwich get someone in as really safe cover, but how much budget would they like to allocate towards it?

A loan could be useful, but find a club and player who will be prepared to be back up to the current fullbacks will be very difficult.

Brandon Williams on loan would be my choice.

Sam Byram is one of my favourite City players, I think he’s absolutely immense. But we need to be real here. We cannot rely on him to stay fit like you can with, touch wood, Aarons.

Bali Mumba looks a promising talent, but it would be a brave man to suggest he’s ready to start Premier League games week in week out. He’s not even had a run of senior games for us yet. Looked good when coming on against Swansea (?) as a substitute, but didn’t look ready to me on his full starting league debut - and that was in the Championship. 

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Brandon Williams on loan would be my choice.

Sam Byram is one of my favourite City players, I think he’s absolutely immense. But we need to be real here. We cannot rely on him to stay fit like you can with, touch wood, Aarons.

Bali Mumba looks a promising talent, but it would be a brave man to suggest he’s ready to start Premier League games week in week out. He’s not even had a run of senior games for us yet. Looked good when coming on against Swansea (?) as a substitute, but didn’t look ready to me on his full starting league debut - and that was in the Championship. 

Williams is going to Southampton it seems. I can see no way he'd come to Norwich if he wasn't guaranteed first team football (like Southampton have said he will get at right back).

It is really hard one for Norwich - Dimi and Aarons are both excellent and are going to be the guys Farke wants playing when they are fit. As with the striker position it is hard for Norwich to have someone who is close to being as good as them, who is happy to not play if the first choice players are fit. I expect if Mumba hadn't look good in training he'd be the one going on loan and not McCallum. 

I imagine they will monitor Bryam's fitness really closely over pre-season and have to make a judgement call on him. If he stays fit and Norwich have brought someone else in then suddenly there are 5 full backs at Norwich and it is overstocked. Shows the difficulty of squad management, especially on a tight budget.

41 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Adequate.. in the Championship. Round pegs for round holes in the Premier League

Lees-Melou is an interesting one, he’s not a player I know anything about, however the descriptions of his style of play have got me wondering if we... need him? Another McLean style all rounder CM wasn’t something that I expected us to be looking for, especially as there’s more pressing positions that we ideally need to fill (CB, CDM, striker/winger, back-up LB/RB).

Having said that, he seems a solid player, in the sense that he’s clearly a talented footballer and has been playing regularly in a good Nice side.

46 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Dont know if the local media guys have actually tried to dig this info from City themselves or if they are just going on the news that you brought into this forum Beth, but either way if it transpires that Lees-Melou is on his way or even an interest for the club its a feather in your cap for finding it before anyone else. Well done.

Yup, he’s more itk than the itk guy.

• Haha 1

Never heard of him before reading this thread, but Lees-Melou appears to have been a solid player for a decent if not top end Ligue Un side for a few years and captained them several times last season. I'd be lying if I said I was excited by this signing, but Alex Tettey joined us from France in similarly underwhelming circumstances and look how he turned out. 

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Williams is going to Southampton it seems. I can see no way he'd come to Norwich if he wasn't guaranteed first team football (like Southampton have said he will get at right back).

It is really hard one for Norwich - Dimi and Aarons are both excellent and are going to be the guys Farke wants playing when they are fit. As with the striker position it is hard for Norwich to have someone who is close to being as good as them, who is happy to not play if the first choice players are fit. I expect if Mumba hadn't look good in training he'd be the one going on loan and not McCallum. 

I imagine they will monitor Bryam's fitness really closely over pre-season and have to make a judgement call on him. If he stays fit and Norwich have brought someone else in then suddenly there are 5 full backs at Norwich and it is overstocked. Shows the difficulty of squad management, especially on a tight budget.

Yep, good points as always Beth, I desperately hope Byram gets over his last injury as if I had a crystal ball and could safely say he’d stay fit for the season, then I’d let Max go on his way today if we were getting £30mil or so for him. Byram is a more than capable replacement, as we saw when he came in for Jamal and made the LB spot his own - think he’d be wasted on the bench given his quality to be honest. But I’d still fear we might be leaving ourselves a possible player light if Bali struggled, it really does remain to be seen if he’s ready for the PL yet.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'm certainly not ITK - but I can usually work out the nonsense on Twitter compared to the genuine information.

Only someone truly ITK denies they're ITK! Everybody follow Bethnal!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'm certainly not ITK - but I can usually work out the nonsense on Twitter compared to the genuine information.

Sounds like something only a person ITK woul...Damn @Fuzzar beat me to it.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Says could reach 6m euros - so max of 5.1million pounds (on current exchange rates) - assuming 1-2m is add ons - not a bad deal imo

OTBC 

If this is indeed true then it just shows how quick and sharp Webber can be in the transfer market. Same with Rashica - nobody saw this one coming.

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Half an hour to go, if you're wrong you owe me a packet of crisp. Deal?

We know what McCallum is all about after a full season last year in the same tier, we can work on areas needing improving at Conley while understudy to Dimi. The person we should of loaned out for 6 months is Byrum. We have no idea what player is coming back from injury, can he stay fit? Can he produce at the same level as before? How many games to get up to speed?, all questions a loan could answer after a year in the treatment room and I really hope he can as he’s worth 10x what we paid for him if he can recover. 

The only comment (and lone comments are hardly to be relied upon) I can find so far from a Nice fan is that Lees-Melou would have been useful in the coming season in case of injuries to their starting midfielders.

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If this is indeed true then it just shows how quick and sharp Webber can be in the transfer market. Same with Rashica - nobody saw this one coming.

Apart from Bethnal. A DISBELIEVER!!!

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The only comment (and lone comments are hardly to be relied upon) I can find so far from a Nice fan is that Lees-Melou would have been useful in the coming season in case of injuries to their starting midfielders.

He seems a bit of a divisive figure at Nice - seems some fans love him and some absolutely hate him. 

A local journalist said this too me about him;

If he his the player Norwich is after and about to sign, they’ll get a hardworking and a player that never shies from a run nor a challenge, a midfielder with excellent work ethic and impeccable attitude. His technical abilities can be discussed for the highest level of the game. He has often disappointed because he found himself in good positions in and around the box without finding the back of the net. But I guess it is already a good thing to find oneself in those positions.

Then another fan replied saying;

c'est tres jambon

I feel this sums up they whole attitude to him quite nicely (pardon the pun).

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

My Grade B GCSE French is telling me that means 'it's very ham'. What on earth is that supposed to mean!?

I think he is saying the journalists response is 'very hammy'. 

I think Lees-Melou is one of those players that demonstrates good 'in-tangibles' like attitude, leadership, passion etc but maybe doesn't always deliver the most technically proficient football.

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think he is saying the journalists response is 'very hammy'. 

I think Lees-Melou is one of those players that demonstrates good 'in-tangibles' like attitude, leadership, passion etc but maybe doesn't always deliver the most technically proficient football.

So what's he doing signing for a Farke team, where the ability to play short, intricate, passing football is a pre-requisite for a midfielder? 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So what's he doing signing for a Farke team, where the ability to play short, intricate, passing football is a pre-requisite for a midfielder? 

I'm guessing he is someone who has been identified by Norwich's new bit of kit that looks at physical data. Lees-Melou covers a huge amount of ground and will provide the legs in midfield to allow others to play the more intricate stuff (not that he is awful at that).