Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

How much do we reckon is left in the transfer pot? Given that we received £33m for Buendia and have committed approximately £20m on Rashica, Gunn, Lees-Melou and Gilmour's loan fee, I reckon we should have a good £30m left to play with? 

If so, that leaves a decent wedge for our centre back, defensive midfielder, striker and winger. Three permanents at an average of £10m and a loan seem pretty reasonable.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

How much do we reckon is left in the transfer pot? Given that we received £33m for Buendia and have committed approximately £20m on Rashica, Gunn, Lees-Melou and Gilmour's loan fee, I reckon we should have a good £30m left to play with? 

If so, that leaves a decent wedge for our centre back, defensive midfielder, striker and winger. Three permanents at an average of £10m and a loan seem pretty reasonable.

I know figures were put to figures such as Connor - but Webber isn't going to reveal the exact size of his transfer pot as that then leaves them open to clubs wanting a bigger slice of it -- reckon its higher than the reported figures, allowing Webber to do deals with fair valuations

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

Latest article is an interesting read: https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-have-upped-ante-in-transfer-market-8142466

So that suggests they are looking at as many as four positions - so a fair amount of movement yet to be had in our squad. 

The change in language around the centre back is really interesting. I'd worry if Norwich go into the season with the 4 that are currently in the squad, but it does seem like the three names that they were strongly linked to, Ajer, Bornauw and Adarabioyo, are probably no-goers. 

I can see why they might not want to drop a significant sum on a player they don't feel is a significant improvement on their options. 

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Back of envelope calculations on fees is pretty impossible to do without knowing all the other commitments the club is due to pay. The accounts said Norwich still have £44m worth of liabilities in player bonuses and payments to other clubs on transfers, some being triggered by club achievements. How much of this £44m is due this summer due to promotion is a bit of an unknown and massively effects the transfer budget. That is before you consider the increase in the wages need for the new signings, agent fees, signing on fees etc.

Don't rule out players leaving. Max remains a possibility, Hernandez, Placheta, possibly even Rupp or McLean, Hugill.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The change in language around the centre back is really interesting. I'd worry if Norwich go into the season with the 4 that are currently in the squad, but it does seem like the three names that they were strongly linked to, Ajer, Bornauw and Adarabioyo, are probably no-goers. 

I can see why they might not want to drop a significant sum on a player they don't feel is a significant improvement on their options. 

Back of envelope calculations on fees is pretty impossible to do without knowing all the other commitments the club is due to pay. The accounts said Norwich still have £44m worth of liabilities in player bonuses and payments to other clubs on transfers, some being triggered by club achievements. How much of this £44m is due this summer due to promotion is a bit of an unknown and massively effects the transfer budget. That is before you consider the increase in the wages need for the new signings, agent fees, signing on fees etc.

In theory we have five CB's if Klose is included, not that it really has an impact on what you say. 

5 minutes ago, WSM said:

I know figures were put to figures such as Connor - but Webber isn't going to reveal the exact size of his transfer pot as that then leaves them open to clubs wanting a bigger slice of it -- reckon its higher than the reported figures, allowing Webber to do deals with fair valuations

Yes indeed, they are always going to down play the amount for the reason of not inflating prices and also I think to keep the fans expectations in check. 

Going off the transfer fees roughly spent, it would seem we are probably just under the 20 million mark, and I’d guess we have about the same again budgeted for another 3 players. Of course, if we see Max go the situation would change dramatically, but even before that happening we probably have a little more than what’s been loosely revealed by the local journalists.

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Don't rule out players leaving. Max remains a possibility, Hernandez, Placheta, possibly even Rupp or McLean, Hugill.

There's a bit of noise around McLean to Rangers. Don't know if there's much in it, but you can't imagine he'd fetch very much and Farke is a known admirer. 

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

In theory we have five CB's if Klose is included, not that it really has an impact on what you say. 

One minute people are saying with certainty the EDP guys are being drip fed info on player signings by the club, the next minute we sign Rashica and Lees-Melou with them having no clue.

So really who knows what?

I'll read into what the EDP put out with a pinch of salt - common sense dictates we can't go into the PL season with Zimmermann (not good enough) and Omobamidele (too green - think Godfrey's first prem season) as cover. I'm sure the powers that be recognise that too so we can only hope a permanent first team signing comes in at centre back that can step into the starting 11 without too much flapping. 

1 hour ago, Upo said:

He was (is?) a stand up comedian who hosted Fear Factor, and became a prominent UFC commentator. Now he's basically the biggest podcaster on planet. Far from a meathead. He has some odd takes on things, but generally he lets his guests talk and asks smart questions.

Yeah, I knew all that, but someone definitely told me he used to play American football and ive carried that with me.

Maybe he said it on a podcast I watched, but he meant casually and I just assumed 

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Fair points, I would think Hernandez and Placheta will be replaced if they can find a better player of that calibre, but given the noise around Idah doubling up as a winger / forward we might not replace them and use him in that role? That also leaves Hugill, an odd one whereby if Idah is used on the wing then potentially Hugill could be third choice if another striker is bought in. Question is, will he be happy with cup games and brief cameos off the bench?

Rupp and McLean to stay for me. 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

There's a bit of noise around McLean to Rangers. Don't know if there's much in it, but you can't imagine he'd fetch very much and Farke is a known admirer. 

That noise is coming from the interview he did with Michael Bailey - McLean said that he would like to play for Rangers, but just as it is his boyhood club and the one his whole family supports. There is no way Rangers could actually afford to sign Kenny and even if they could I can't see them making a huge commitment in fee and wages on a 29 year old. 

I am far from convinced there is enough goals in this team to stay up. Any long term injury to Pukki and we are in a world of trouble 

If Klose got plenty of game time in Switzerland and is over his injuries, I wouldn't be averse to him being an emergency fifth-choice centre-half, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the back-up plan. His weak performances after Project Restart seemed clearly down to not remotely being fully fit but decided to try and help out as we were so short of centre-halves.

He's also one I wouldn't mind seeing do a McGovern in that we should look to see what he wants to do when he hangs his boots up, and maybe we can find a place for him within the club.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

If Klose got plenty of game time in Switzerland and is over his injuries, I wouldn't be averse to him being an emergency fifth-choice centre-half, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the back-up plan. His weak performances after Project Restart seemed clearly down to not remotely being fully fit but decided to try and help out as we were so short of centre-halves.

He's also one I wouldn't mind seeing do a McGovern in that we should look to see what he wants to do when he hangs his boots up, and maybe we can find a place for him within the club.

Klose is in the 'naughty step' group along with Trybull, and previously Drmic and Leitner, training with Andy Hughes. I doubt they will train with the first team or be even registered in the squad. Once Farke and Webber decide someone is out, they are out.

Ibrahima Sissoko from Strasbourg would be my pick if we were to get a CDM. Having said that, I have no idea how Strasbourg value him - Transfermarkt have him at £4.95m, but their valuations are always much much lower than their 'real' price

36 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Let’s not forget very big transfer payments coming in (Lewis, Godfrey and Buendia) before we do the pleading poverty line once again. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Let’s not forget very big transfer payments coming in (Lewis, Godfrey and Buendia) before we do the pleading poverty line once again. 

That's not what I'm saying, it is just back of the envelope calculations based on rumoured transfer fees usually are pretty inaccurate as they cannot take into account very large payments, in and out, as no one outside of the club knows the fine details of the accounts.

For example Norwich paid almost £7m in agent fees last season. That will not be reported with the rumoured transfer fees, but makes a huge difference to how much can be spent.

28 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Yeah, I knew all that, but someone definitely told me he used to play American football and ive carried that with me.

Maybe he said it on a podcast I watched, but he meant casually and I just assumed 

He used to play little league baseball as a kid but, as far as I know, never played American Football at any decent level. 

He does love smoking copious amounts of bud tho and that's cool with me. 

45 minutes ago, chicken said:

to be honest if it gets to deadline day and he's not found a move I'd happily keep him around for his final year. Use him in cups, use him as an option to throw on with a few minutes left of a game we are narrowly winning/drawing. Klose falls into a different camp than the likes of Drmic and Leitner.

Hopefully for his sake he finds regular football on loan somewhere again but if he doesn't he definitely should have a home here still.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That's not what I'm saying, it is just back of the envelope calculations based on rumoured transfer fees usually are pretty inaccurate as they cannot take into account very large payments, in and out, as no one outside of the club knows the fine details of the accounts.

For example Norwich paid almost £7m in agent fees last season. That will not be reported with the rumoured transfer fees, but makes a huge difference to how much can be spent.

Is that part of the transfer fee or additional? No wonder we’re the kings of going undisclosed (even though the fee is known within a few hours) 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Is that part of the transfer fee or additional? No wonder we’re the kings of going undisclosed (even though the fee is known within a few hours) 

It is additional, the 'fee' goes to the club the player is being purchased from. There will also be signing on fees for the player which generally go unreported as well and loyalty payments which are made at the end of every season to a player as long as they haven't put in a transfer request - if a player is sold before the end of their contract they recieve all the remaining promised loyalty bonus in one go. 

Every club uses 'undisclosed fees' not just Norwich and the amounts reported are ball park, not precise figures as fees are made up of so many different parts from up-front money, to installment money, to add-ons and bonuses. The selling club will generally leak out the highest number the fee could possibly be, the buying club generally uses the smallest number (although will sometimes use a larger number if they are trying to convince fans of their 'ambition').

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The selling club will generally leak out the highest number the fee could possibly be, the buying club generally uses the smallest number (although will sometimes use a larger number if they are trying to convince fans of their 'ambition').

Reminds me of that ridiculous fee Wigan put out when we bought Wildschut 🤦‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

We've more chance of Harry Kane and Bruno Fernandes.

And that's putting it lightly

Worth remembering the guy who started the whole 'Origi to Norwich!' Nonsense on Twitter is the same guy who claimed months ago that we signed Pierra then did nothing but laugh at and screenshot people taking him seriously with 'haha idiots' and fishing emojis..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

we need to strengthen the cb ara 

we wont see klose again.  

Omobamidele is a great prospect and could flourish,  but the other three are yet to play a non relegation premier season between them; Gibson and Hanleys have limitations that extra experience may help improve,  but Zimmermann looked like he had not recovered from Halles intervention last season.   That feels like a skinny option set and that we were so heavily chasing 3 cbs indicates the club know it too.    Value may limit the market but there are more than three better CBs than we currently have out there.  I would like to see have options to consider 3 cbs in some games which just 4 players does not enable us to do.     

Plenty of time yet, with more rumours wide of the mark before we sign someone that hasnt been suggested - a ride to endure and enjoy.

Edited by ZLF

Regarding the CB situation............ the way I read it is that the club have moved from wanting to sign a permanent "top 3 choice" CB this year to a loan. I think they have based this on feeling that Omobamidele is a very viable 3rd/4th choice this year with Zimmerman 5th.

This allows them the money to invest in a striker this year and a new CB next year should we remain in the Prem (which of course we will). 

53 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So basically all your moaning about spending hasn't even been based on actual spending amounts 😉

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

So basically all your moaning about spending hasn't even been based on actual spending amounts 😉

First and foremost good afternoon to you Hoggy. Are you happy with our business so far and would you agree there should still be plenty of funds left?