Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Omotoye I'd imagine? Showed some promise but didn't make an impact on loan at Swindon last season.

I know Omotoye struggled on loan at Swindon last season in League One, but I can't see him dropping all the way down to the National League if he were to be loaned out again. I'd say Omotoye's partner in the first half of last season, Tom Dickson-Peters, would be more likely, if any of this is true.

If we're still looking for a destroyer in midfield I wonder where that leaves us with Biling as that isn't him. I wonder if we'd be using him further forward or perhaps one of the other midfielders are on their way out.

14 hours ago, FatCanary said:

He also signed some sort of podcast record deal with Spotify worth $1m recently as well I think.

He's an interesting guy and his podcasts are good fun, he finds a way to ask really pertinent questions I think

his interview with Elon Musk on his youtube podcast is really worth watching and listening to, for sure.

he just makes it super obvious that he loves the ol' drugs sometimes.

Joe Rogan never played any Nfl. Also $1m!! The spotify deal was $100 million! Crazy money. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flying high up in the sky! said:

Joe Rogan never played any Nfl. Also $1m!! The spotify deal was $100 million! Crazy money. 

Why did I think he was an ex NFL player?

I think that's one of those that someone told me once and I never checked it

41 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Why did I think he was an ex NFL player?

I think that's one of those that someone told me once and I never checked it

He was (is?) a stand up comedian who hosted Fear Factor, and became a prominent UFC commentator. Now he's basically the biggest podcaster on planet. Far from a meathead. He has some odd takes on things, but generally he lets his guests talk and asks smart questions.

8 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

If we're still looking for a destroyer in midfield I wonder where that leaves us with Biling as that isn't him. I wonder if we'd be using him further forward or perhaps one of the other midfielders are on their way out.

I would imagine that Billing is off the menu with our new Frenchie in

Unless of course we sell one of our other midfielders in which case that might be a sign we are trying to bring another in

22 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I'll be honest, the PinkUn boys have been a little behind the curve recently. Paddy was adamant on the Friday that nothing would happy until after the Euros for Buendia, by the Sunday he was gone!

Could be that the club is holding its cards particularily close to chest this transfer season. So far I've liked the surprises.

Just now, Upo said:

Could be that the club is holding its cards particularily close to chest this transfer season. So far I've liked the surprises.

Heres hoping for a couple more surprises before the season starts 

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I would imagine that Billing is off the menu with our new Frenchie in

Unless of course we sell one of our other midfielders in which case that might be a sign we are trying to bring another in

Not sure about Billing being ‘off the menu’ yet, Cambridge.

Connor Southwell has said in his piece today that we are still likely look at -

A central midfielder with a more defensive focus.

A winger.

A striker.

And are also looking at defensive options, which one would assume would be a CB at this stage.

So that’s a good 4 players to come through the door assuming that’s correct. I have a feeling that our squad will look exactly like Webber said it would come the end of the transfer window. Would I swap Emi for all those new incomings? Definitely, I think we’ll end up with a more rounded squad, and some new hero’s at Carrow Rd 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

we are crying out for a striker IMO, that position should be a priority 

May well be the case, Urdie, but that doesn’t mean the next signing announced has to be a striker. As long as we’ve got Divock Origi in place for the Liverpool game then I’ll be happy 😉😂

10 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

And a CB and a DM - arguably more so those to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

A winger.

A striker.

And are also looking at defensive options, which one would assume would be a CB at this stage.

So that’s a good 4 players to come through the door assuming that’s correct. I have a feeling that our squad will look exactly like Webber said it would come the end of the transfer window. Would I swap Emi for all those new incomings? Definitely, I think we’ll end up with a more rounded squad, and some new hero’s at Carrow Rd 👍

Billing isn't a midfielder with a defensive focus though - he is box-to-box and last season was deployed as an attacking midfielder behind the striker. Lees-Melou has a lot of similarities with Billing, so I think Norwich have moved on. When you consider that Lees-Melou was under half the price that Billing would cost then it is good business.

Out of the positions listed winger is the most interesting one to me, especially if no one leaves as it would leave Norwich pretty crowded in those positions. 

For me, in order of priority is centre back, defensive midfielder, winger, striker. (As long as no one leaves).

16 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

A winger.

A striker.

This could create almost the unthinkable, just a matter of weeks ago, that we would not have to rely on our star player to make the difference this coming season. Other teams would undoubtedly have targeted Emi and what else could we have done (new signings not taken into consideration) to effect a game, once he had been nullified? This could work out for the better 

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Celtic have their replacement basically sewn up then... I wonder if they will now drop their demands for Ajer?

Even if they do then Brentford are the most likely destination as they offered £2m more for him than Norwich did. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Billing isn't a midfielder with a defensive focus though - he is box-to-box and last season was deployed as an attacking midfielder behind the striker. Lees-Melou has a lot of similarities with Billing, so I think Norwich have moved on. When you consider that Lees-Melou was under half the price that Billing would cost then it is good business.

Out of the positions listed winger is the most interesting one to me, especially if no one leaves as it would leave Norwich pretty crowded in those positions. 

For me, in order of priority is centre back, defensive midfielder, winger, striker. (As long as no one leaves).

Billing was only deployed further forward towards the end of the season, and recorded some impressive stats there too. Bournemouth supporters tell me at that point he really came into his own and had he have played there all season they feel they would be back in the PL with us right now. So I totally agree that this seems to be his best and most effective position, as a defensive midfielder Bournemouth fans said one week he’d be great, the next week you wouldn’t even want him on the subs bench. So the reason I wouldn’t rule out Billing just yet is because of his flexibility, and we already know that Farke and Webber like that type of player. The possible winger is an interesting one, Bethnal. It makes you wonder if we might be about to see a player currently in the ranks about to go out on loan or even be sold, who that’d be I have no idea though as I guess we could all make cases for several of them! I’m finding this the most interesting window I can remember for a long time!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Problem is there isn't a Prem quality striker willing to join a relegation candidate team for less than 10 million who knows he will be benched for Pukki 9 times out of 10 and is happy with that

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

This could create almost the unthinkable, just a matter of weeks ago, that we would not have to rely on our star player to make the difference this coming season. Other teams would undoubtedly have targeted Emi and what else could we have done (new signings not taken into consideration) to effect a game, once he had been nullified? This could work out for the better 

Exactly, Crabby 👍. This is why I’m not adverse to us selling Max. Don’t get me wrong, I’d much prefer to keep him, but common sense suggests that a team will always be a better unit with more overall quality than just 1 or 2 star players. In effect, sure, we might not get a replacement that is quite as good as him going forward for instance, and at that point you could say we are weaker for it. But what if we sell him, get in someone that is efficient enough to do do similar, yet then have the funds to upgrade in say 2 other positions. It’s basic mathematics, and not rocket science - that would be improving the overall quality of the team/squad, and as long as we keep doing that then we’ll only be moving forwards year on year!

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Even if they do then Brentford are the most likely destination as they offered £2m more for him than Norwich did. 

Reportedly, and it wasn't clear what that meant. It could have been including add ons which may not have been hugely realistic.

Just like the Gunn deal for us could be worth up to £10m but according to the more reliable reports, many of those add ons are slightly pie in the sky and Southampton realistically expect to get £6-7m from them.

The reports I saw suggested that the additional money was in add ons, and it'll depend on how much is up front and how realistic and achievable those add ons are.

20 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Pretty much. We got round the sale of Maddison pretty well as the likes of Buendia stepped up. Now Buendia's gone, the onus is on the likes of Cantwell, Dowell, and Rashica to share the load between them, on Lees-Melou to help provide a more secure platform for them, and to a lesser extent, on Idah, Sorensen, and Placheta to make a stake themselves.

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Billing was only deployed further forward towards the end of the season, and recorded some impressive stats there too. Bournemouth supporters tell me at that point he really came into his own and had he have played there all season they feel they would be back in the PL with us right now. So I totally agree that this seems to be his best and most effective position, as a defensive midfielder Bournemouth fans said one week he’d be great, the next week you wouldn’t even want him on the subs bench. So the reason I wouldn’t rule out Billing just yet is because of his flexibility, and we already know that Farke and Webber like that type of player. The possible winger is an interesting one, Bethnal. It makes you wonder if we might be about to see a player currently in the ranks about to go out on loan or even be sold, who that’d be I have no idea though as I guess we could all make cases for several of them! I’m finding this the most interesting window I can remember for a long time!

For me Lees-Melou offers the flexibility (along with Rupp who is already in the squad) - what Norwich are lacking in the squad is a dedicated defensive midfielder - I wouldn't call Gilmour or Sorensen a true '6' like Skipp or Tettey.

With Lees-Melou, Rupp, McLean in the squad now, I'm not sure there is a need for another player in that mould like Billing, especially as he would likely cost at least £10m, and be able to command a significant wage.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Problem is there isn't a Prem quality striker willing to join a relegation candidate team for less than 10 million who knows he will be benched for Pukki 9 times out of 10 and is happy with that

I think we should be aiming higher than Pukki starting most games, remember we have lost the link between him and Buendia, he has had a large amount of niggles this season and has only been fit for half the season at best, the rest of the season aggravating injuries and playing through the Euros clearly with injuries.

I fear we wont have a super sharp Pukki this season, hopefully I am wrong, but I think if we are going into the season with him as our No. 1 striker, we are done before we start. 

18 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

One thing I’ve been wondering, Bethnal, is we hear that Celtic refused the offer from Brentford. But could it indeed be that Ajer himself flat out refused the move as he may think the likes of ourselves represent a lesser gamble, and that he’d prefer to move to us, Newcastle, or one of the German clubs? Thus, is holding out to see what develops rather than agreeing to a move that he himself may not fancy? I think he’s better than Brentford myself, and I wouldn’t mind betting he probably feels the same way. They’ve done nothing in the transfer window btw, not exactly showing any ambition to other prospective signings.

Just to add to my last post re Ajer and Brentford, my understanding is that the club only accept an offer if the player in question and his respective agent have notified the parent club that they’d be happy to open discussions. Not saying Celtic themselves didn’t turn the bid down, but I just wonder if Ajer himself said he’s not interested, which would make the deal a non runner from the start even if Brentford had made an offer that Celtic themselves had deemed suitable.

Edited by Alex Moss

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Reportedly, and it wasn't clear what that meant. It could have been including add ons which may not have been hugely realistic.

Just like the Gunn deal for us could be worth up to £10m but according to the more reliable reports, many of those add ons are slightly pie in the sky and Southampton realistically expect to get £6-7m from them.

The reports I saw suggested that the additional money was in add ons, and it'll depend on how much is up front and how realistic and achievable those add ons are.

It is being reported that Norwich offered £10m initial fee (this would be partly upfront and partly in installments) with maybe £2m of add-ons. The Brentford offer is reported as £12m initial fee (again a mix of upfront and installments) with an additional £3m of add-ons. 

The 'initial fee' part would be considered guaranteed, while the add-ons are more speculative. Usually initial fees are split 50/50 between upfront and installments. (Clubs will then often sell the installment payments to a finance company at a cost, meaning they receive a nearly all the money upfront)

The Gunn deal is reported as £2.5m upfront, with an extra £2.5 in installments - so £5m initial fee. With add-ons that could increase it to £10m - but these are being reported as being pretty unlikely beyond the £6m/£7m. 

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

One thing I’ve been wondering, Bethnal, is we hear that Celtic refused the offer from Brentford. But could it indeed be that Ajer himself flat out refused the move as he may think the likes of ourselves represent a lesser gamble, and that he’d prefer to move to us, Newcastle, or one of the German clubs? Thus, is holding out to see what develops rather than agreeing to a move that he himself may not fancy? I think he’s better than Brentford myself, and I wouldn’t mind betting he probably feels the same way. They’ve done nothing in the transfer window btw, not exactly showing any ambition to other prospective signings.

Clubs are unlikely to make offers unless the player has indicated he'd be interested in the move - as Celtic aren't covered by the FA or Premier League rules Norwich or Brentford would not need Celtic's permission to speak to the player so would get the nod from Ajer before making a bid. While Ajer might want certain guarantees if he moved to Brentford, I don't imagine he'd be the blocker here. The report was Celtic reject the Brentford bid and want £20m, that feels like the issue here.

On 13/07/2021 at 11:40, Canary Wundaboy said:

I'll be honest, the PinkUn boys have been a little behind the curve recently. Paddy was adamant on the Friday that nothing would happy until after the Euros for Buendia, by the Sunday he was gone!

I am pretty sure they (and Bailey) are getting steers on target areas for the squad, or at least picking up that kind of mood music, while being kept in the dark on specific players. They were certainly blindsided over Rashica and now Lees-Melou.

What I find interesting is that the vibes they have picked up seemed to have changed over time. The strike force was not a priority. Now it is. Suddenly Omabamidele is being talked up. Does this mean another central defender, which appeared to be right at the top of the list, is not so much a necessity? I hope it still is.

And despite having bought Rashica, and having Hernandez and Placheta, apparently another winger is being sought. That seems a new steer. Rashica can play other positions, but it suggests the other two are not regarded as PL quality. Myself, I have no idea about Placheta, but I don't think Hernandez is up to it. His is a great story, but a hard-headed assessment is that his level is the Championship.

PS. I posted this before seeing Southwell's latest assessment, which can be read (but not necessarily) as a slight shift on whether they definitely want another central defender.

Edited by PurpleCanary

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It is being reported that Norwich offered £10m initial fee (this would be partly upfront and partly in installments) with maybe £2m of add-ons. The Brentford offer is reported as £12m initial fee (again a mix of upfront and installments) with an additional £3m of add-ons. 

The 'initial fee' part would be considered guaranteed, while the add-ons are more speculative. Usually initial fees are split 50/50 between upfront and installments. (Clubs will then often sell the installment payments to a finance company at a cost, meaning they receive a nearly all the money upfront)

The Gunn deal is reported as £2.5m upfront, with an extra £2.5 in installments - so £5m initial fee. With add-ons that could increase it to £10m - but these are being reported as being pretty unlikely beyond the £6m/£7m. 

Clubs are unlikely to make offers unless the player has indicated he'd be interested in the move - as Celtic aren't covered by the FA or Premier League rules Norwich or Brentford would not need Celtic's permission to speak to the player so would get the nod from Ajer before making a bid. While Ajer might want certain guarantees if he moved to Brentford, I don't imagine he'd be the blocker here. The report was Celtic reject the Brentford bid and want £20m, that feels like the issue here.

Ahh, I see - thanks for clearing that up, Bethnal 👍