Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

23 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

I'm not sure you agree terms with another club if you never had any intentions of going there-

You don't need to go that far.

I'm sure he may have been secretly hoping for a better offer though, I'm sure we've all had a handful of interviews and had an order of preference in our time.

I dunno, Fatty - agreeing terms isn’t the same as signing on the dotted line, my feeling is that you make your Red Bull Leipzig‘s (who aren’t short of a penny) offer the top end of their contract proposals once they get a bit more desperate - the agent must surely be in a stronger negotiating position if he can boast a deal is close and say ‘what are you going to do about it now?’. If Red Bull on the other hand thought it was always them that were first choice then I would imagine the contract offer may not be quite as generous. I think we *may* have been used as a little bit of a pawn - I’m sure this kind of thing goes on all the time?

It's not clear from SB's tweet if the issues with the personality test emanate from the club or the player. If terms were agreed then it doesn't sound as if it was a sticking point as far as the club were concerned.

Sounds like he's just had a better offer elsewhere. It's a shame because Ajer would have been very useful.

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

2BF83385-913C-43D0-8CCE-1372F6C4C655.jpeg

Not very ‘in the know’, is he, if he doesn’t know what a Personality Test is 😳😳😳

46 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Don’t think you can exactly ‘fail’ a personality test, but in a package of things they can help find what makes you tick/how you might fit in/things to work on.  That’s if you hold any store by them - imo they are often misused/misunderstood but you’d hope NCFC know what they’re doing.

I think Adolf Hitler, Fred West, Donald Trump to name but a few would probably fail 🤣

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I think Adolf Hitler, Fred West, Donald Trump to name but a few would probably fail 🤣

Depends entirely on the job description, Angry.
If it was “Make X ‘great’ again for a fixed period, no requirement to count body bags” they’d all do fine. (Where X = Germany/your depraved ego/USA)

7 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

One of the defining qualities of a psychopath is that they are superficially charming. 😳

If Ajer is not the right fit for whatever reason then we are better off without him and can't see Martin Braithwaite being a good signing either.

2 minutes ago, tricky974 said:

If Ajer is not the right fit for whatever reason then we are better off without him and can't see Martin Braithwaite being a good signing either.

Hugill and Gibson having a word in his ear as we speak 😉

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

The vast majority of “stuff” that purports to analyse personality is pseudo-scientific BS - in my humble opinion. Putting people into binary categories like “introvert/extravert”, “thinking/feeling” or whatever is nonsensical when decent research shows 1) people change over time and 2) any of these categories that can be justified as meaning something are at minimum a spectrum but more probably a complex set of inter-relating properties rather than a binary on or off thing.

It’s groups like HR departments or coaches or trainers who want to try produce easily categorised and measurable metrics to demonstrate that there’s some “scientific“ basis to what they do but I don’t think there’s much of any serious academic research that backs up these beliefs. Hence the perpetuation of rubbish like the MBTI test despite it being shown to be nonsense years ago.

Think an important thing to note is that a lot of these terms you hear in the mainstream are very much pop psychology and not what the scientific research is interested in. We're looking more into whether there are any patterns in the noise, as opposed to the noise itself. Taking big data collected over long periods of time. Takes time to engineer, but we're getting there. Jury's honestly out on how effective or useful any of our research will be, but in response to your point about whether clubs do it, more and more certainly do. Dunno about us, though.

What you're indicating dislike for is very primitive and I can understand disdain for that school of thought.

Edited by FatCanary
  • Like 1

So if we can get Ajer, it’s going to be tough to get a first team CB. I can’t say there’s many out there who we can afford. Might be a breakout season for Omobamdele!

The vast majority of “stuff” that purports to analyse personality is pseudo-scientific BS - in my humble opinion. Putting people into binary categories like “introvert/extravert”, “thinking/feeling” or whatever is nonsensical when decent research shows 1) people change over time and 2) any of these categories that can be justified as meaning something are at minimum a spectrum but more probably a complex set of inter-relating properties rather than a binary on or off thing.

It’s groups like HR departments or coaches or trainers who want to try produce easily categorised and measurable metrics to demonstrate that there’s some “scientific“ basis to what they do but I don’t think there’s much of any serious academic research that backs up these beliefs. Hence the perpetuation of rubbish like the MBTI test despite it being shown to be nonsense years ago.

As a qualified trainer and coach registered with the British Psychological Society to provide Psychometric Assessments, I have rather different views!

You're correct that we are constantly changing, so an assessment represents a snapshot in time rather like a vehicle MOT certificate. I note you use words like 'rubbish' and 'nonsense' to describe your thoughts - fair enough, however there is an amazing amount of highly accurate information from psychometric assessments on which to base key decisions. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Indy said:

So if we can get Ajer, it’s going to be tough to get a first team CB. I can’t say there’s many out there who we can afford. Might be a breakout season for Omobamdele!

The estimates of what we have to spend (post Gibson and Giannoulis) vary from £15m plus any sales (such as Buendia's) to £30m plus etc etc etc. So far we have spent around £15m, on Rashica and Gunn (if as I suspect the basic fee for the latter is in effect £5m).

So even by the lowest estimate (which always looked a bit low to me) we have only used up the pre-sale money and not yet touched any of the Buendia cash. I can see at least one more big-money purchase being financially feasible, and that is without Aarons going..

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The estimates of what we have to spend (post Gibson and Giannoulis) vary from £15m plus any sales (such as Buendia's) to £30m plus etc etc etc. So far we have spent around £15m, on Rashica and Gunn (if as I suspect the basic fee for the latter is in effect £5m).

So even by the lowest estimate (which always looked a bit low to me) we have only used up the pre-sale money and not yet touched any of the Buendia cash. I can see at least one more big-money purchase being financially feasible, and that is without Aarons going..

Very true, but we won’t splash that amount of cash on homegrown targets who are over priced. I can’t think of any CB we could afford,  no one from the Championship comes to mind, Dickie had a good season for QPR but is he a first team premiership player? 
Be interesting to see the right field player none of us expected Webber will get in!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Very true, but we won’t splash that amount of cash on homegrown targets who are over priced. I can’t think of any CB we could afford,  no one from the Championship comes to mind, Dickie had a good season for QPR but is he a first team premiership player? 
Be interesting to see the right field player none of us expected Webber will get in!

Dan Burn please! (I'm never giving up my hope!)

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You're obsessed.

32 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

As a qualified trainer and coach registered with the British Psychological Society to provide Psychometric Assessments, I have rather different views!

You're correct that we are constantly changing, so an assessment represents a snapshot in time rather like a vehicle MOT certificate. I note you use words like 'rubbish' and 'nonsense' to describe your thoughts - fair enough, however there is an amazing amount of highly accurate information from psychometric assessments on which to base key decisions. 

I did qualify my post with IMHO and the language I use feels appropriate for a message board, if I was in a more formal environment I might choose it more carefully!

What psychometric assessments can offer (again, IMHO) is to say “others who test as you have, are on average, like this, so there’s a probability of x that you are also like this (at this moment in time)”. And there is value in presenting the results of their tests to people and asking “does this feel right? Why? What doesn’t?”.
But I come at this from the viewpoint of someone who’s qualified as a psychotherapist/counsellor (although I don’t practice, there’s no money in it! ☹️). So my interest (and bias) is in the individual and what makes them unique, rather than trying to measure commonalities, as you do.

Anyway, probably waaay too far off topic now?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not for me! Rather just give Omobamdele the chance! See if he will rise to the challenge or crash and Burn!😉

Edited by Indy

Looks like a good bit of patience will be needed before the next signing emerges, with Ajer seemingly now out of the picture and Gilmour having a host of suitors lined up for his signature. Still, its been a good week nonetheless with Rashica and Angus signed, Flynn Clarke to, and shirt sponsor sorted.

I guess the club do need another CB, but to me midfield looks to be pretty thin right now, plus maybe another striker, but thats an unknown. Oh well, the guessing games begin once again.

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yep, the article states both us and Bayer Leverkusen have had £10mil bids rejected, and some Celtic fans are concerned they won’t get a penny for him as he can sign a pre contract agreement with any club in January if needs be. It also states we’re not likely to go in much higher for him, and are considering other options, whilst the player himself will stay to the end of his contract if needs be and walk away on a free.

23 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Basically blows the reports that a fee had been agreed right out of the water. Celtic's new manager only got started today, so there might be some movement on this as he starts to make plans with the club and players. You'd have to think that Celtic wouldn't be prepared to miss out on £10m and have an angry player for a year. 

• Like 2

What psychometric assessments can offer (again, IMHO) is to say “others who test as you have, are on average, like this, so there’s a probability of x that you are also like this (at this moment in time)”. And there is value in presenting the results of their tests to people and asking “does this feel right? Why? What doesn’t?”.

For what it's worth, I agree. I'm yet to experience an HR/L&D function that actually uses it in this way.

Much more common to tell you which "box" you fit into and then go through some cringeworthy training exercise where people instinctively play to the roles they've been told they belong to and then present that as some kind of evidence coupe de grace..

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So in other words- he wants to leave but the club are trying to rinse as much money out of his sale as they can?

In short, yep - which let’s face it, you can’t really blame them.

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

In short, yep - which let’s face it, you can’t really blame them.

But at the same, these other clubs may move on to other targets which means Celtic end up keeping him for another year and getting nothing for him, or they may be forced into a lower offer later in the window in nobody is prepared to stump up the £10m that was previously rejected.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But at the same, these other clubs may move on to other targets which means Celtic end up keeping him for another year and getting nothing for him, or they may be forced into a lower offer later in the window in nobody is prepared to stump up the £10m that was previously rejected.

As with other bids, it might be that £10 million is acceptable but the bids might be in unacceptable staged payments, be interesting to see where this ends up. But good that there’s still the potential in signing Ajer, could be very useful for us this coming season.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It is probably a risk worth taking for them at the moment to be honest, very early in the window and Ajer probably has a big enough profile to draw interest throughout. They may not get the couple of extra million they are after, but I don't think they'll end up with much less. 

Also, Celtic have Champions League qualifying in less than a month, I can see why they might not want to sell off their best players before they have lined up replacements.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That doesn’t change the fact that they still have a right to try and get as much as they can for him before it comes to the point whereby they risk losing him on a free. I don’t blame them myself, he’s still their player and if it was us in the same position then we’d all want as much as we could get for Josip Drmic*

(*Ok, I’m joking a bit there buddy 😂)