Sign in to follow this  
SFCanary

Webber on High Performance Podcast

Seriously, what a fascinating interview and insight into the mind we all like to puzzle ourselves at. Very interesting life and work ethic and one that I don't think I can fault. I think one of the best parts was the phrase he wants to instil everywhere he goes "it nice to be important, but its more important to be nice". If there is one thing you can feel at the club during his tenure - is just how the club feels much more together from top to bottom and the respect for each other. It might explain those players that were isolated after coming down. 🤔

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-high-performance-podcast/id1500444735?i=1000517672694

• Thanks 3

Just listened to it... very impressive.
Makes you wonder now what Webber would be saying next time you tuck into a doughnut or have a bit of a lie in !

Brilliant interview  and I really like Webber and appreciate what he has done for us.

I’m slightly worried about him expressing the annoyance of players crying on the pitch which seems another unnecessary pop at Cantwell.

Webber won’t let His personal feelings affect what is right for the club but I do sense Todd is quite sensitive and this will do nothing to help us get him signing a new contract.

34 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Brilliant interview  and I really like Webber and appreciate what he has done for us.

I’m slightly worried about him expressing the annoyance of players crying on the pitch which seems another unnecessary pop at Cantwell.

Webber won’t let His personal feelings affect what is right for the club but I do sense Todd is quite sensitive and this will do nothing to help us get him signing a new contract.

I think the way Cantwell has reacted to things said and done by management and progressed the way he has, it obviously hasn't done him any harm and he may even be better for it.  He has come through well and that is a credit not only to himself, but to Webber and Farke too.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I think the way Cantwell has reacted to things said and done by management and progressed the way he has, it obviously hasn't done him any harm and he may even be better for it.  He has come through well and that is a credit not only to himself, but to Webber and Farke too.

I'd agree with that and I thought that was what Webber implied earlier in the interview where he talks about people coming to terms and then committing to the cause (which I saw as reference to Buendia & Cantwell). Hence why I was a bit disappointed with the later comment.

That's not to detract from the many admirable things he said.... and I wont be wearing my tie when I have to return to the office from home working 😉

It will be interesting to see when the elephant in the room of Webber and Farke's contractual situation is addressed. indeed i'm not sure whose job it is to address it. Does Webber deal with Farke's contract and who talks to Webber about his position?

I'm not convinced its the best position for us to be in to have both out of contract at the end of next season and have Webber reminding everyone again (including presumably his potential suitors) that he plans to leave in a years time. Even the sky commentators were putting it out there again last night. Not the best way to get others to commit to the cause and it worries me that their contractual position could have been engineered so they can potentially leave/move as a package. i would like to see somthing done to try and address this over the summer. The whole point of our model is supposed to be to minimise disruption if the coach leaves/is sacked but that goes out the window if the sporting director goes at the same time, esepecially where that time could conceivably (but hopefully won;t) coincide with relegation from the premier league.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I'm not convinced its the best position for us to be in to have both out of contract at the end of next season....

I agree. It will help enormously if Farke is given an improved long term contract this summer. It will soften the blow if Webber does leave.

I can’t see Webber signing a new deal at the moment . He seems very clear of thought . 
That said Zoe will be an influence. I suspect that as a partnership they might decide that Norwich is the best place for them both - I sincerely hope so. 

Be careful what you wish for..

2018 Farke Out 

2019 give Farke a new contract 

2020 Farke Out 

2021 give Farke a new contract 

2022 ?

🙃

On 21/04/2021 at 08:35, Jim Smith said:

It will be interesting to see when the elephant in the room of Webber and Farke's contractual situation is addressed. indeed i'm not sure whose job it is to address it. Does Webber deal with Farke's contract and who talks to Webber about his position?

I'm not convinced its the best position for us to be in to have both out of contract at the end of next season and have Webber reminding everyone again (including presumably his potential suitors) that he plans to leave in a years time. Even the sky commentators were putting it out there again last night. Not the best way to get others to commit to the cause and it worries me that their contractual position could have been engineered so they can potentially leave/move as a package. i would like to see somthing done to try and address this over the summer. The whole point of our model is supposed to be to minimise disruption if the coach leaves/is sacked but that goes out the window if the sporting director goes at the same time, esepecially where that time could conceivably (but hopefully won;t) coincide with relegation from the premier league.

This is indeed the question.

‘We let our Manager’s manage’ may have found its natural bedfellow in Webber, though that may be its Zenith. 

They value of Corporate Structure and Non-Executive Directors are seen when structural issues are addressed late or post-hoc, rather than proctor hoc. 

Having your key drivers out of contract at the same time, at the end of a pivotal season, at a point where many key playing assets may move if we either just stay up or get relegated (with high probability of one or either being true) is a fundamental - and actually pressing - strategic issue.

Furthermore letting incumbents pick their successors is fraught with conformational bias risks and possible (practical or psychological) conflicts of interest. 

Precisely not the time to ‘just let the manager’s manage’.

Who indeed.

Parma 

@TIL 1010

@PurpleCanary

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy

This biggest worry will be when Webber leaves will he want farke to go with him to his next club? Losing both would be disastrous. 

If you look back over the years at the threads following a Webber interview they have the same extremes as my earlier post.

There are likely to be bigger changes at our beloved club over the next few years. But as long as they don't put our future in jeopardy I'm sure we'll be fine.

• Like 1

Webber has always been honest about his intentions and how long he’s earmarked his time at Norwich for.

I don’t really have any worry about him leaving, such is the ebb and flow of football. I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t hire a donkey in his wake. His ego wouldn’t allow all his hard work to be undone. 

On 21/04/2021 at 15:35, Jim Smith said:

I'm not convinced its the best position for us to be in to have both out of contract at the end of next season 

I agree, however I think they will say that it was easy for Webber to have kept faith in Farke because he recruited him; it was his man and they had a good understanding between them.

It would then be up to the new sporting director (and Farke) to decide if he stays or hires his own coach. 

Farke staying would be easier for fans to digest. Having two key members of staff leaving will be huge. The season after next will be especially important, as we will either be looking to survive the second season syndrome or bouncing back after a relegation.

8 hours ago, vlad666 said:

This biggest worry will be when Webber leaves will he want farke to go with him to his next club? Losing both would be disastrous. 

I think it’s highly likely he will have half an eye on that which is why it’s a concern that this situation has arisen. Who is responsible for their contracts? With Farke is it Webber? Or with both of them is it Zoe? Someone at board level needs to be alive to this. 

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 1

It also cannot be helpful for signing/seeking to retain players if they are aware that both the Director of Football and the Coach are leaving within 12 months. 

Just got round to listening this, what a fabulous insight into how the bloke works. Like or dislike him you can see how his methods and values have transformed our club and probably why we have been promoted in style twice in three years. 

Sounds like the perfect character to drive an organisation forward. 

On 22/04/2021 at 21:43, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Having your key drivers out of contract at the same time, at the end of a pivotal season, at a point where many key playing assets may move if we either just stay up or get relegated (with high probability of one or either being true) is a fundamental - and actually pressing - strategic issue.

One hundred times, this. Precisely what I thought when I realised both of their contracts were up at the same time..

• Like 1