Jump to content
cambridgeshire canary

Cantwell responds to darnell fisher

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Todd was poor yesterday but he’s the man to break Millwall up. He’ll score, we will win and be ready for a big one at Swansea. 

Don’t you think Millwall and other teams will man mark us to death now they’ve seen the success of Boro? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Don’t you think Millwall and other teams will man mark us to death now they’ve seen the success of Boro? 

Now down to Farke to find a counteraction to this tactic.

Not all teams will be as effective with it though- it was a case of us doing what we do and seeing if their concentration lasted the distance, which it did.

As much as Warnock is irritating you have to admit he played a blinder yesterday. Effectively nullified our wide attackers, #10, attacking full backs and isolated Pukki for 98 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

As much as Warnock is irritating you have to admit he played a blinder yesterday. Effectively nullified our wide attackers, #10, attacking full backs and isolated Pukki for 98 minutes.

It was an absolute masterclass and Warnock showed why he is without a doubt the best manager in Championship history.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Now down to Farke to find a counteraction to this tactic.

Not all teams will be as effective with it though- it was a case of us doing what we do and seeing if their concentration lasted the distance, which it did.

As much as Warnock is irritating you have to admit he played a blinder yesterday. Effectively nullified our wide attackers, #10, attacking full backs and isolated Pukki for 98 minutes.

We really don't know this though do we. If Emi had stayed on the pitch there is every chance we would have broken them down late in the game just as we have done to loads of other teams this season and two seasons ago. There have already been a number of games this season where we haven't really looked like scoring in the first 70 minutes, but have upped the pace late on to find a winner. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warnock did what he had to do in the circumstances, away at the League leaders after he had taken a beating v Rotherham. He man marked Todd out of the game and targeted Emi. As I said on the match thread, it was up to us to overcome that and we didn't. That aside, Warnock had no intention of looking to win that game, with the formation he put out. Needs must and all that, but lets hope he puts out another masterclass at home to Brentford next week...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Don’t you think Millwall and other teams will man mark us to death now they’ve seen the success of Boro? 

Maybe but they are at home so will have a go. The lions are not near the bottom for nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Don’t you think Millwall and other teams will man mark us to death now they’ve seen the success of Boro? 

It’s not the first time our key players have been man marked, it’s just not as easy as you make it sound! It worked for a well drilled Warnock side - but most teams in the championship would probably struggle to mark two of our players out of the game without leaving gaping holes elsewhere in their lines..

It’s also hard to say how the game would’ve transpired had we not lost Buendia for the final 30 - usually the period in the game where we up the anti if we need a goal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It was an absolute masterclass and Warnock showed why he is without a doubt the best manager in Championship history.

I cant believe the hyperbole about Warnocks tactical masterclass that got him a whole point against us with 10 men.

Yes they set up well. Yes they man marked. We still should have scored in the early stages with Vrancic and Cantwell making runs for Gibson was still causing them problems.

Lots of teams have tried to man mark our best players it just so happens that Boros players individually done it very well.

If one team was going to win yesterday I'd still say it would have been us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that not being able to get a shot on target throughout the whole ninety has some significance in this respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I cant believe the hyperbole about Warnocks tactical masterclass that got him a whole point against us with 10 men.

Yes they set up well. Yes they man marked. We still should have scored in the early stages with Vrancic and Cantwell making runs for Gibson was still causing them problems.

Lots of teams have tried to man mark our best players it just so happens that Boros players individually done it very well.

If one team was going to win yesterday I'd still say it would have been us 

Apart from the first ten minutes Norwich never looked like winning. Boro were better before the sending off second half and opened us up a few times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Apart from the first ten minutes Norwich never looked like winning. Boro were better before the sending off second half and opened us up a few times. 

They didn't open us up. They never looked like scoring. At least in the first half we had a couple of half decent chances. Second half their only opportunities came from set pieces.

We never looked like scoring in the second half either but if either team had a bit of individual quality to make that happen it would have been us instead of them.

That we only had 10 men and they still only had about 35% of the ball says alot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I think that not being able to get a shot on target throughout the whole ninety has some significance in this respect.

No, it doesn't really. I mean, you can shoot from 40 yards and it dribble into Kruls arms and that means nothing, whereas vrancic early chance he should have scored from 12 yards went wide of the post. One was on target and one wasn't but only one of those was actually a good chance that should have been a goal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I cant believe the hyperbole about Warnocks tactical masterclass that got him a whole point against us with 10 men.

Yes they set up well. Yes they man marked. We still should have scored in the early stages with Vrancic and Cantwell making runs for Gibson was still causing them problems.

Lots of teams have tried to man mark our best players it just so happens that Boros players individually done it very well.

If one team was going to win yesterday I'd still say it would have been us 

But even in the 70 minutes with eleven men, we couldn't lay a glove on them. Bar Vrancic's run early on where Boro's defence seemed to part like the Red Sea, Buendia, Cantwell, Vrancic and Pukki were completely nullified and didn't/couldn't offer anything. I know that Derby, Birmingham and others have managed similar against us this season, but neither of those offered any attacking threat themselves whereas Boro at least had the odd half-chance.

The fact it was a very even game (even before the red card) despite us clearly having better players and home advantage shows just how well Warnock set up his side.

I understand that a lot of people don't like Warnock, but his record in this division is second to none because he knows how to grind out results, as we saw yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But even in the 70 minutes with eleven men, we couldn't lay a glove on them. Bar Vrancic's run early on where Boro's defence seemed to part like the Red Sea, Buendia, Cantwell, Vrancic and Pukki were completely nullified and didn't/couldn't offer anything. I know that Derby, Birmingham and others have managed similar against us this season, but neither of those offered any attacking threat themselves whereas Boro at least had the odd half-chance.

The fact it was a very even game (even before the red card) despite us clearly having better players and home advantage shows just how well Warnock set up his side.

I understand that a lot of people don't like Warnock, but his record in this division is second to none because he knows how to grind out results, as we saw yesterday.

You've said above that Birmingham and Derby done the same, Warnock is good at this level so long as the fans accept god awful football, 30 fouls a game and hoping to score from set pieces.

I actually don't mind him, at least he tends to speak honestly. But he isn't some tactical genius. He literally done what Brum, Derby and others have done just with better individual players.

Like I say they never looked like scoring and after the first 20 minutes neither did we.

Edit: I also think home advantage is almost non existent this season and our results kind of back that up.

Edited by hogesar
Extra content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But even in the 70 minutes with eleven men, we couldn't lay a glove on them. Bar Vrancic's run early on where Boro's defence seemed to part like the Red Sea, Buendia, Cantwell, Vrancic and Pukki were completely nullified and didn't/couldn't offer anything. I know that Derby, Birmingham and others have managed similar against us this season, but neither of those offered any attacking threat themselves whereas Boro at least had the odd half-chance.

The fact it was a very even game (even before the red card) despite us clearly having better players and home advantage shows just how well Warnock set up his side.

I understand that a lot of people don't like Warnock, but his record in this division is second to none because he knows how to grind out results, as we saw yesterday.

This basically. 

We lay claim to two attacking midfielders and a striker who can argue they should be playing in the top division. To totally take them out of the game deserves credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hogesar said:

You've said above that Birmingham and Derby done the same, Warnock is good at this level so long as the fans accept god awful football, 30 fouls a game and hoping to score from set pieces.

I actually don't mind him, at least he tends to speak honestly. But he isn't some tactical genius. He literally done what Brum, Derby and others have done just with better individual players.

Like I say they never looked like scoring and after the first 20 minutes neither did we.

I said that Birmingham and Derby did the same with no attacking threat, whereas at least Boro had sporadic attacks. It was an even game between 'the best side in the division', which we probably are, and a side who on paper should probably be mid-table. But as usual, Warnock has his side punching above their weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You've said above that Birmingham and Derby done the same, Warnock is good at this level so long as the fans accept god awful football, 30 fouls a game and hoping to score from set pieces.

I actually don't mind him, at least he tends to speak honestly. But he isn't some tactical genius. He literally done what Brum, Derby and others have done just with better individual players.

Like I say they never looked like scoring and after the first 20 minutes neither did we.

Edit: I also think home advantage is almost non existent this season and our results kind of back that up.

I don't think Birmingham did the same as Boro personally.

Birmingham sat everyone behind the ball and let us dominate up until the final 3rd. Boro clearly did more to stop our fullbacks getting involved and forced Cantwell and Buendia off their games.

I think it is a touch simplistic to look at two teams who set up to defend and say they did exactly the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was the best example of good old fashioned man to man marking I have seen for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Felixfan said:

That was the best example of good old fashioned man to man marking I have seen for years. 

Anyone who says Warnock is a bad mananger is on crack

 

Sure, he is old fashioned but is a pretty good mananger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I cant believe the hyperbole about Warnocks tactical masterclass that got him a whole point against us with 10 men.

Yes they set up well. Yes they man marked. We still should have scored in the early stages with Vrancic and Cantwell making runs for Gibson was still causing them problems.

Lots of teams have tried to man mark our best players it just so happens that Boros players individually done it very well.

If one team was going to win yesterday I'd still say it would have been us 

100% this Hogesar.  We dominated the first half of the first half and didn’t take our chances. They got on top for last 15 mins of H1 and, as usual, no impact from HT talk and no adjustments.  Thought it was a disappointing coaching performance from us.  And I love Farke but Warnock showed his experience yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also thought the chap on Canary Call suggesting we needed to bolster our attack during this transfer window was talking some sense.  Reminded me of the Worthington season where we signed Hucks. Really lifted the team, club and supporters.  
 

Different times of course, but thought the guy had a point.  As fantastic as Farke has been this season, we still haven’t dispatched teams in the way we should and our GD could be a problem in the shake down  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asked when on interview at Carrow Road if he thought the Norwich support would like his style of football,  Warnock replied. "You mean winning?"

He said, "I knew then I hadn't got the job."

This brand of dinosaurial managers, who hop on and off the roundabout at regular intervals, do seem to be constantly in demand with their stifling brand of anti-entertainment, results driven football. 

Perhaps there's more to them than just safety first, as ITFC fans have come to realise since they hounded Mick McCarthy out. 

As Jack Charlton once said, "You start the game with one point and your priority should be not to lose it." 

Most reporters would conclude that 'pressers' would be less entertaining without them, that's for sure.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the posters who criticise Warnock for results only football the same as me then and not bothered what division their team is in because the style is the most important? Or just being hypocritical?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

I also thought the chap on Canary Call suggesting we needed to bolster our attack during this transfer window was talking some sense.  Reminded me of the Worthington season where we signed Hucks. Really lifted the team, club and supporters.  
 

Different times of course, but thought the guy had a point.  As fantastic as Farke has been this season, we still haven’t dispatched teams in the way we should and our GD could be a problem in the shake down  

We desperately need pace, imagine Jerome in his prime coming off the bench after Pukki has ran about for 80mins with the oppositions defence. 
We have been missing a pacy attacker for a few years now (in my opinion)

Edited by Dr Greenthumb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

We desperately need pace, imagine Jerome in his prime coming off the bench after Pukki has ran about for 80mins with the oppositions defence. 
We have been missing a pacy attacker for a few years now (in my opinion)

Completely agree.  Here’s hoping Idah puts his unfortunate start to the season behind him and can stay fit and be the player he looks capable of being. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, king canary said:

I don't think Birmingham did the same as Boro personally.

Birmingham sat everyone behind the ball and let us dominate up until the final 3rd. Boro clearly did more to stop our fullbacks getting involved and forced Cantwell and Buendia off their games.

I think it is a touch simplistic to look at two teams who set up to defend and say they did exactly the same.

I dont think they did much more than Derby or Brum. They just executed it better and had better players.

I also haven't denied that Warnock deserves some credit. But this whole tactical masterclass guff people have raved about on here should be saved for something better than getting a 0-0 away draw against 10 men vs a team in the same division, heck, the same half of a division as you.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a balance between giving credit where it's due and acknowledging the limitations of his style of football.

In the bigger picture, I'm glad to see these old relics from the Charles Hughes school of English football slowly dying out, and the majority of young coaches trying to play football that befits the increased importance of technical excellence in the English game.

Much as I'd struggle to motivate myself to turn up every week if we had a manager playing that style of football, fair play to Warnock for finding a way of frustrating us where so many other teams have failed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...