Sign in to follow this  
Big O

Fixture run in

Has anyone else noticed we have 7 of the top 9 to play at home and 8 of the bottom 9 to play away. In a usual season with fans that would be a great run in and testament to our first half season. We have been to some tough places to get a result. Having Brentford, Bournemouth,Watford and Reading at home will be big games. 

Edited by Big O
Typo

Yes, I noticed and mentioned it a few weeks ago - no one seemed particularly interested, but it is a bit odd how things seem to have spread.  Given we’ve already won 8 out of 12 away, with most of the top half played, it does make you wonder how many away wins we might get to.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes, I noticed and mentioned it a few weeks ago - no one seemed particularly interested, but it is a bit odd how things seem to have spread.  Given we’ve already won 8 out of 12 away, with most of the top half played, it does make you wonder how many away wins we might get to.

enough to give us 100 points at the end of the season

Up to this point there doesn't seem to be an advantage playing at home. We have 25 points at home and 25 points away. We have scored more away goals (18) as oppose to 15 at home. However have lost 3 away & only 1 at home. Unless the crowds come back in - it doesn't appear to make much difference to our team.

• Like 1

There is no home advantage in an empty stadium. It's the supporters in the stadiums who give the advantage. This is particularly so in our case with capacity crowds of in the main vocal supporters. 

That advantage is slowly being chipped away as football becomes more and more a sport for tv with spectators waiting/expecting to be entertained.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There is no home advantage in an empty stadium. It's the supporters in the stadiums who give the advantage. This is particularly so in our case with capacity crowds of in the main vocal supporters. 

That advantage is slowly being chipped away as football becomes more and more a sport for tv with spectators waiting/expecting to be entertained.

Lack of travel / hotels, and playing in familiar surroundings would give an advantage. Not as good as having fans in, I agree, but still an advantage. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'd always thought - perhaps naively - there was some advantage in training for the size of your pitch, given that there is quite a large variation. 

12 minutes ago, Banjoman said:

I'd always thought - perhaps naively - there was some advantage in training for the size of your pitch, given that there is quite a large variation. 

There used to be an even greater advantage in home games when the pitches had a large variation in condition. They are pretty much uniform now at the top level.

Can you remember managers adjusting the size of the pitch depending on who they were playing?

Is that even allowed now?

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There used to be an even greater advantage in home games when the pitches had a large variation in condition. They are pretty much uniform now at the top level.

Can you remember managers adjusting the size of the pitch depending on who they were playing?

It's not just size of pitch its also the length of grass, how much before (and @ 1/2 time) it's watered etc. 

I've noticed after Stoke (A) mid-Feb we have a fairly easy run in until Bournmouth at home in mid-April...he says, shooting his his big toe off.

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I think it is allowed, as to whether it happens is the question.

There are pitch sizes that a club can use up to in terms of how big you want it or how small you want it.

My thoughts are that there are some small advantages like grass length, how wet it is, not having to travel etc but nowhere near like having your home fans.

Carrow Road pitch is good, having see a few of the other teams pitches I'm not sure they can all say that.

Remember in the eighties when QPR, Luton, Preston and Oldham etc had those artificial total plastique pitches?......Some cried foul and said it's so unfair and an advantage to the homey's and it caused injuries and friction burns to the limbs when tackling......Many modern pitches now have a mix of artificial and real turf....(A bit like Rooney's hair weave)....Playing surfaces now are such good quality but unfortunately those pitches that in this day do suffer, are mainly those of the lower leagues and those that are shared with the Rugger Buggas. Some of those shared Footy/Rugger surfaces do look pretty horrendous and are a injury waiting to happen.....

Our playing surface at Carra and including those outdoor surfaces at Colney are nothing short of pristine......Big hand for our ground staff.....

Best thing?......Under soil heating.....and not having to cancel them winter games.....

12 hours ago, Big O said:

Has anyone else noticed we have 7 of the top 9 to play at home and 8 of the bottom 9 to play away. In a usual season with fans that would be a great run in and testament to our first half season. We have been to some tough places to get a result. Having Brentford, Bournemouth,Watford and Reading at home will be big games. 

Can't get my head around anything other than that all games are going to be tough, home or away, top half clubs or bottom half clubs. The playing field has levelled due to the lack of fans, which means away games are not quite so daunting and home games not quite so advantageous.  That is of course a sad state of affairs, as it takes away a lot of what football isabout at this level, but on the other hand it should mean that quality counts - and as long as we have the best quality throughout the season, we will do well.  It does mean we have to be totally on it every single game, because they are all going to be tough. No easy rides.

It means nothing I guess, but could be good for form. At the end of the day everyone plays everyone home and away, doesn't really matter in which order. Can only beat what is in front of you and all that jazz. I remember that season under Lambo where our last few Prem games that season were like 3 of the top 6 and the pant wetters were out as soon as the fixtures were released, but in reality we managed to get safe before then and went on to beat Man City on the final day.

I vaguely remember beating Stoke 3-2 away.  Did you really mean Stoke (A)?  Certainly shot your toe off whatever that means.

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Our playing surface at Carra and including those outdoor surfaces at Colney are nothing short of pristine......Big hand for our ground staff.....

Best thing?......Under soil heating.....and not having to cancel them winter games.....

Pitches back in the day were like ploughed fields within weeks of a new season starting.

Undersoil heating is very good and it's annoying that most postponements for those that have it is because it's unsafe outside the ground.

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Remember in the eighties when QPR, Luton, Preston and Oldham etc had those artificial total plastique pitches?......Some cried foul and said it's so unfair and an advantage to the homey's and it caused injuries and friction burns to the limbs when tackling......Many modern pitches now have a mix of artificial and real turf....(A bit like Rooney's hair weave)....Playing surfaces now are such good quality but unfortunately those pitches that in this day do suffer, are mainly those of the lower leagues and those that are shared with the Rugger Buggas. Some of those shared Footy/Rugger surfaces do look pretty horrendous and are a injury waiting to happen.....

Ha ha. I remember playing on those plastic pitches at QPR and Luton. The ball used to bounce like a superball so the instruction was always not to let it, which often meant lunging to stop that happening and leaving most of the skin on your hip behind. First time I ever wore cyclists shorts under my football shorts - which was a good tip from an ex-pro at QPR, and even before the days of Keith Weller's white tights!

18 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Well when I played footy in the old days I only played in front of a couple of blokes and a dog home and away, but playing at home was certainly an advantage, 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daisy said:

Well when I played footy in the old days I only played in front of a couple of blokes and a dog home and away, but playing at home was certainly an advantage, 😁

That dog snarling at the lino was definitely home advantage🙃

• Like 1

Looking at the immediate fixtures, I’ve just realised what a great position we will be in in 10 days time if we don’t do anything stupid. Next fixtures for our rivals from tomorrow are -

Swansea v Brentford

Reading v Bournemouth 

After Bristol City, we play Middlesbrough. Not easy - but neither are those playing above challenging for top spot.

At least 2 of our rivals drop points, or possibly all 4 of them.

We really can put ourselves in an amazing position come a week Saturday - this could be the turning point!

It has been suggested by some clubs that painting the away team changing room pink lowers opponents testosterone level, which presumably means they are less likely to kiss each other if they score, with the added benefit of good covid security.