Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Team v Cardiff...

So we have a few more down with Covid (now Krul, Idah, + Xavi, Mumba) or ‘flu’ (Rupp, Martin), strange virus (Stiepi) or injured (Zimm, Byram).  

Hopefully all are better soon - also the back room guys - Covid can be particularly hard to shake off.

I guess we are to-date fortunate that most of our starting XI seem to be ok, so I imagine it’ll be:

Barden, Max, Sorensen (back to lb), Gibson, Hanley; Skipp, McLean; Emi, Todd, Placheta; Teemu.

Subs: Dowell should be ok for the bench so him, Tettey, Onel, Mario, Omotoye, Hugill, McCracken, Omobamidele

Edited by Branston Pickle

Omo strange omission from Cov hope he's ok and be a CB option.  Since 9 subs have only filled on limited occasions, was an opportunity to keep more of squad happy by being in line up lloking forward to using on more regular basis. 

I think the team picks itself - I guess we discuss argue at Vranic / McLean- ie who player CAM / plays CDM.

Personally I would love to see Plancheta, but he will not displace Todd.

Barden,

Aarons, Hanley Gibson, Sorensen 

Skip Mclean

Emi, Vranic, Cantwell

Pukki

I think it pretty much picks itself given our absentees. 

Barden
Aarons Hanley Gibson Sorenson
Skipp McLean
Buendia Cantwell Placheta
Pukki

Only debate is whether Placheta comes back in, or whether Farke keeps Cantwell out on the left-hand side and plays Vrancic in the middle. Placheta though looked good in the cup game, and Vrancic just doesn't really work as a number 10 for me.

9 first teamers plus McGovern out; at other clubs that would be a major crisis, but not at NCFC, just another challenge or more positively, an opportunity for our youngsters.  If we don't get promoted this season with such resources it will be a major missed opportunity.

I think one of Pepe or Argos will start tomorrow!

2nd only to Barden was Placheta's performance last week and deserves a place in the first xi tomorrow to give us something we lack in pace..   hernandez to come off the bench to continue that if required.

Nobody has really nailed the no.10 position so I'd put Cantwell there with Buendia restored to the right

4 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I think the team picks itself - I guess we discuss argue at Vranic / McLean- ie who player CAM / plays CDM.

Barden,

Skip Mclean

Emi, Vranic, Cantwell

Pukki

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us playing Mclean at CAM tomorrow. He was good against Coventry and Vrancic seemed a bit lost against Cardiff last time out 

• Like 1

I would agree I'd Sorensen could play there but as he has to start at LB then Kenny has to be alongside Olly. Kenny atm is almost undroppable. I would put Placheta left Cantwell right and Emi in the middle. EMI and Todd interchange anyway so doesnt really matter but Plachetas pace will cause Cardiff all sorts of issues

21 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Barden,

Skip Mclean

Emi, Vranic, Cantwell

Pukki

Yes - I like Vracic a lot but do think he's better suited to a deeper play maker position and the defense splitting fast attack pass (we can be ponderous without him) but that's also a formation thing.

Southwell has actually done a very good analysis of McLean today.  It underlines why people have polar opposite views of him as a Norwich player.  I've been accused of being a McLean hater, I have nothing against him personally, I just don't think he fits into our team set up at all.  He has failed, or the management have failed to help him, to adapt to Farkeball which is my main disappointment with him. But I love his energy and thrusting play when we're chasing a game. 

I'd therefore be disappointed if he is in the starting line up, because I strongly believe that he unbalances the side.  Sure, like last week if he starts he might provide a good moment or two, but the rest of the game he inhibits our better players as he is not capable of an incisive pass.  So Vrancic or Tettey alongside Skipp, Cantwell as no. 10, with as said above Pepe or Argos on the opposite wing to Emi.  

If we are behind in the 2nd half i would never argue against his introduction, he is a good focus when Farke throws everything at the oppenents in all out attack, he is not afraid in such circumstances to have a shot, and is invaluable as he gets back to stop counters; that's what his game is best suited for.

31 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Southwell has actually done a very good analysis of McLean today.  It underlines why people have polar opposite views of him as a Norwich player.  I've been accused of being a McLean hater, I have nothing against him personally, I just don't think he fits into our team set up at all.  He has failed, or the management have failed to help him, to adapt to Farkeball which is my main disappointment with him. But I love his energy and thrusting play when we're chasing a game. 

I'd therefore be disappointed if he is in the starting line up, because I strongly believe that he unbalances the side.  Sure, like last week if he starts he might provide a good moment or two, but the rest of the game he inhibits our better players as he is not capable of an incisive pass.  So Vrancic or Tettey alongside Skipp, Cantwell as no. 10, with as said above Pepe or Argos on the opposite wing to Emi.  

If we are behind in the 2nd half i would never argue against his introduction, he is a good focus when Farke throws everything at the oppenents in all out attack, he is not afraid in such circumstances to have a shot, and is invaluable as he gets back to stop counters; that's what his game is best suited for.

You don't have to go back far - to the Barnsley game to be precise - to see McLean destroy the opposition defence with a brilliant 50 yard pass. (and he also played incisive forward passes for both of our goals against Coventry as well). 

2 hours ago, Alfie54 said:

Would like to see Vrancic alongside Skipp and Kenny behind Pukki

Would like to see him on the bench

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I mean.... could you have picked a worse time to post this? McLean been superb in the last 6 games, and has two assists and a goal to his name! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alfie54 said:

Would like to see Vrancic alongside Skipp and Kenny behind Pukki

Vrancic better off the bench, looks like bambi when he starts. 

I read the critism of McClean with interest but haven't seen anything that I can agree with. Yes I love watching Vrancic be a playmaker and understand the wish to pick him but I don't feel the need to rubbish the alternative.

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The most stupid post I've seen on here for a while.

I hope you realise that going around calling other peoples posts stupid doesn't in some way magic away all the tripe you have posted on here over the years. 

I couldn't better the top 4 finish one if I tried pal.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I hope you realise that going around calling other peoples posts stupid doesn't in some way magic away all the tripe you have posted on here over the years. 

I couldn't better the top 4 finish one if I tried pal.

At least I try to be positive.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

At least I try to be positive.

I was being positive by saying that I'd stick with McLean, who has been superb for the past 6 games.

I'll leave you to explain how dropping him for Vrancic would be positive you plum.

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'll leave you to explain how dropping him for Vrancic would be positive you plum

Careful TvB ... you'll  be accused of bullying soon , or being Hoggos  lackey, or worse still  , accused of looking like David de Gea.😇

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Not capable of an incisive pass, wow!

Was it McLean's ball into Hugill which set up our second goal just now? That pass was pretty incisive?

Not to mention the chances created in his recent run of games too as others have mentioned...

Let's remember as well that he is a central midfielder, when you compare him to Skipp, Tettey, Rupp and Vrancic I'd say he is pretty comfortably the second best passer of those players in terms of threaded balls forward / through balls. 

He isn't there to be a Buendia or Cantwell, he is there to service those players and turn defence into attack, and he's been doing that just fine lately!