cambridgeshire canary

Rumours that all football, including Championship, set to be called off

I don't think that is any great conjecture. Talks are afoot in government about a proper full lockdown like the first one we saw back in March.

It doesn't surprise me that this would include football as well. Especially considering the concern around this new strain. They are already saying schools may not reopen at the beginning of term.

The number of sports people now catching it is increasing and I don't think testing alone is reason enough to cancel football. If we end up in lockdown, then make it one. Not half measures.

Reports on the BBC this morning of a likely national lockdown starting on Boxing Day. There is no indication at the moment how long such a lockdown would last but a month seems likely. 

At the moment our season ends on 8 May and of course there are play off matches as well. Bearing in mind that the Euros start on 11 June it's difficult to see how it could be done. We can hardly expect the rest of Europe to cancel the competition just because of our problems. 

49 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Reports on the BBC this morning of a likely national lockdown starting on Boxing Day. There is no indication at the moment how long such a lockdown would last but a month seems likely. 

At the moment our season ends on 8 May and of course there are play off matches as well. Bearing in mind that the Euros start on 11 June it's difficult to see how it could be done. We can hardly expect the rest of Europe to cancel the competition just because of our problems. 

Lisening to Irish radio this morning, France, Germany and Spain have their own Christmas / New Year lockdowns. Its not just mainland UK having a resurgence. Locally our figure is 5 infections per 100,000 people, I dont think theres even 100,000 people in co   cork, excluding the city.....so although no immediate danger here, we too are subject to National regulation. The policy of localised distrct lockdown was abandoned here a while ago as the imaginary borders were impossible to police. One in, all in. If that has to include elite sport, sad, but so be it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Lisening to Irish radio this morning, France, Germany and Spain have their own Christmas / New Year lockdowns. Its not just mainland UK having a resurgence. Locally our figure is 5 infections per 100,000 people, I dont think theres even 100,000 people in co   cork, excluding the city.....so although no immediate danger here, we too are subject to National regulation. The policy of localised distrct lockdown was abandoned here a while ago as the imaginary borders were impossible to police. One in, all in. If that has to include elite sport, sad, but so be it.

I'm afraid that I'm stuck in Little Britain and as such don't get to hear what is happening in civilised countries. Please keep us informed. You are ours eyes and ears to the rest of the world 😂

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm afraid that I'm stuck in Little Britain and as such don't get to hear what is happening in civilised countries. Please keep us informed. You are ours eyes and ears to the rest of the world 😂

Well given the inward looking self obsessed narrative in the uk press/tv I consider it my duty to inform those living under Tory censorship/spin/lies/ corruption ,as to what Europe( remember them) are up to. My point was that the Euros dont really figure in the grand scheme of things but thanks anyway. Who knows ,,they may even go ahead with the Euros without England unless it sorts its shoite out, now that would be amusing. Cue some serious tubthumping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

As I read it there is a night curfew in France but no lockdown.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

As I read it there is a night curfew in France but no lockdown.

Coming in on boxing day is what I heard, France are doing fairly well atm, their big celebraton is new year and they are acting ahead of time....despite it not being very popular.

It would be the most typical and annoying thing ever if this season got abandoned with us clear at the top of the league. Especially as last season when we were bottom of the league they were adamant that the season had to be concluded at all costs! 

worryingly I’m fairly sure the premier changed their rules to allow them to abandon the season if a certain percentage of the fixtures have not been played. 

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It would be the most typical and annoying thing ever if this season got abandoned with us clear at the top of the league. Especially as last season when we were bottom of the league they were adamant that the season had to be concluded at all costs! 

worryingly I’m fairly sure the premier changed their rules to allow them to abandon the season if a certain percentage of the fixtures have not been played. 

I'm sure this far gone, they would complete the season the year after. Over half the league is within two wins of the play offs.

If we lock down again it just means that I have a sh1te day at work, no pub to go to, no cafe to visit and no sport on the box. Yet again my kids will wander around the empty schools wondering why they can't be at home. At least the roads will be quiet.Happy Xmas.😴

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Well given the inward looking self obsessed narrative in the uk press/tv I consider it my duty to inform those living under Tory censorship/spin/lies/ corruption ,as to what Europe( remember them) are up to. My point was that the Euros dont really figure in the grand scheme of things but thanks anyway. Who knows ,,they may even go ahead with the Euros without England unless it sorts its shoite out, now that would be amusing. Cue some serious tubthumping.

I'm not certain that England would get past the group stage and almost certainly wouldn't get further than the last 8. So it may be a blessing in disguise. 

Feel free to tubthump a little bit more.... 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

The change of EPL rules said that points per game would be used in the event of the season being abandoned. Not sure about the EFL

The players are tested weekly, just stop the fans attending. 

30 minutes ago, JF said:

But there are more being infected. They have to stop associating and that means playing. Cricket managed because everyone isolated from the rest of humanity.

Super League played in just a few grounds.

Football in this country plays a huge role in maintaining morale for the masses. It's escapism and actually I think the government would need to really think hard about locking it down again. Fans may be back to being locked out. They may offer greater flex around positive coronavirus testing and re-fixturing, but on the whole i don't see why they need to shut down the sport.

15 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Norfolk in Tier 4 from the 27th

To be fair at the rate it's going and with two new strains being found recently I really would not be surprised if all of the UK is placed in Tier4 by the end of the year/start of new year

• Like 2

Sadly, I can see the season being ended, yet again. The premiership and EFL would have learnt from last season. There will be no lingering this time. 

5 hours ago, JF said:

And the players don't live in the same community as fans?