Credit where credit's due, I thought he played well today.

You can see him growing in confidence with a run in the side, his handling and kicking was good and he had no chance with the goal.

Massively underated in my opinion.

• Like 1

Looked safer than he has done - thankfully didn’t drop any easy balls/particularly shank any clearances, so must be building in confidence/form.  I still want Krul back ASAP though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

You can see him growing in confidence with a run in the side, his handling and kicking was good and he had no chance with the goal.

Genuine question, what did you think of his positioning for the goal? It appeared to me that he was stood at the back post...

For me, while today he was improved in general, a competent GK is saving that.

Yep! Naturally we all want the best keeper in the league back as soon as possible, but we are where we are and McGovern put in a solid display today. By all accounts he's been a model professional in his time here, and if Farke trusts him as back-up keeper that's good enough for me. So let's hope everyone gets behind him until a fully fit  Krul resumes his rightful place.

5 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

Genuine question, what did you think of his positioning for the goal? It appeared to me that he was stood at the back post...

So Krul would have saved it in your opinion?

13 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Out of likes, Lapps, but yep, totally agree. And it’s a very good point indeed about him needing some games - we wouldn’t expect an outfield player to come in with a world class performance after not playing for so long, so why should it be any different for a keeper? If I remember rightly, Krul wasn’t exactly awesome in his first games with us either. McGovern did the job today - not bad for a National League level ‘keeper at all 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billyboybunters said:

To be fair, I wouldn’t have put that past Krul...

(bah-dooom-schick 🥁)

But joking apart, I think we’ve all seen Krul make the impossible possible before so wouldn’t have surprised me if he did save it.

1 minute ago, Billyboybunters said:

I don't want to get into whataboutery. Have you watched the goal back? I just think he's stood in the wrong place, he lost concentration, and it meant he had little chance of saving a saveable shot. But everyone sees things differently...

He's a decent keeper, but goalkeeper is the position that makes more demands of a player's mental game than anywhere else - and also where it's harder to knock rust off. That's why back-up goalie is probably, in mental terms, the hardest position in the team.

1 minute ago, NFN FC said:

Still, Stiepi made the best save of the game! 

First thing Stiepi's done with his head in ages!! Credit his positioning on that one.

• Haha 2

Exhibit A, your honour. Shocking marking so understand if your gut feeling is to blame CBs but I still think it's poor.

Anyway, great win, don't want to be a miserabilist. 

Screenshot_20201205-220816.png

9 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

I wouldn't say any goalkeeper would have saved the header, but what I do think is that his starting position was wrong. He should have been a couple of yards further forward (edge of the 6 yd line) when Reach had the ball at his feet, and then he could have come and attacked the ball and frightened the wotsits out of Windass by charging out. Reach was never going to score from there, so McGovern could have closed the gap between him and the defenders, but that is a minor criticism and he had to make a judgement call. This one was the wrong one and was just one part of his overall good display.  Glad to see him impressing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krul Mistress said:

Exhibit A, your honour. Shocking marking so understand if your gut feeling is to blame CBs but I still think it's poor.

Ah!  Spot the ball!   Haven’t done that for years....,

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Haha I thought the same! Proper tricky on this one

5 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

If this is a game of ‘spot the ball’, I can’t find it!

4 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Ha ha, just thought the same, Ged! And I can’t see it, anyone else?

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not to blame for the goal IMO. Two bleddy CBs and they let Windass in between them. Very very poor.

I thought his positioning for the goal was questionable. He seem to drift to quickly to the back post. Letting a striker between you as a pair of centre half's is never great, but in their defence, that ball from Reach was a absolute peach. From a defensive point of view, your probably thinking Reach is going to head to the byline before crossing.. It was whipped in from deep and early, which caught the centre backs off guard. It was a great goal tbf. 

Perfectly placed in the 'corridor of uncertainty' to quote a famous ex Sky pundit! 

Edited by Il Pirata

On that goal he was coming forward to intercept the cross, but hesitated midway and ended up in ankward position. That was a clear mistake, as if you start going to ball you cannot just change your mind on half the way. On the other hand,  it would have been hard to save even if he would have stayed on the line.

Other than that, have to say that he has been improving his game massively. Also playing better with feet all the time. I think he had a good game in overral. All credit for him!

21 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

I don't want to get into whataboutery. Have you watched the goal back? I just think he's stood in the wrong place, he lost concentration, and it meant he had little chance of saving a saveable shot. But everyone sees things differently...

I agree his positioning seemed out. Had he been more central, I still don’t think it would have been saved. But like you say everyone sees it differently. The defending by Hanley and Gibson was poor though.

City have been blessed with good GKs over the decades - Nethercott, Kennon, Keelan, Marshall x 2, Woods, Gunn, Green and Krul to name the best. Our other GKs have been competent keepers even if not at the level of those named. McGovern is a competent keeper who is unjustly vilified by many on here. ‘He makes mistakes’ they bleat. They sll do, such as Krul trying to dribble around Abameyang last season leading to a goal. Let’s ignore that and slam McGovern for dropping a couple of straightforward catches that did not lead to goals. You can always rely on the ‘experts’ on this forum.

12 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha, just thought the same, Ged! And I can’t see it, anyone else?

I've had to watch the video 50 times to work it out, let me know when you want the answer...

McGovern was slightly out of position. A better position could have allowed him to attack the ball, but he probably thought there wasn't an immediate danger to his goal at that particular moment when Reach received the ball

The Centre Halves were slightly too far apart to start with, but dealing with 1 centre forward, they thought they would be able to deal with the vast majority of crosses

The cross was exceptional as it was spot on, which undermined the decisions by our defence.

I would say that 9 times out of 10 that situation wouldn't produce a headed goal.

It was just one of those things

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krul Mistress said:

The centre backs positioning was far more concerning