He’s improved over the course of these games and some good saves today but I will still be relieved to have Krul back next week (hopefully). So many of the opposition attacks in the last few games have flowed from his poor kicking out. Not his fault, it’s not his game but any prudent opponent targets it. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He’s improved over the course of these games and some good saves today but I will still be relieved to have Krul back next week (hopefully). So many of the opposition attacks in the last few games have flowed from his poor kicking out. Not his fault, it’s not his game but any prudent opponent targets it. 

Of course, but any team in this league would miss their first choice GK, particularly if that first choice is actually Premier League quality.

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

McGovern’s answered his critics and that save first half was top draw. No surprises his match sharpness and performance has improved since playing a few games. Keeps a clean sheet against Reading and it would seem a bit harsh to drop him to be honest!

No way can we not have Krul back as soon as he's ready, that would be ridiculous IMO.

McGovern was pretty faultless (for McGovern) today and has been improving with game time - I certainly feel a lot less nervy about him than I did in those first couple of games.

But being honest, not having Krul back there hinders our play massively, McGovern often makes poor decisions when it comes to retaining the ball, and also often scuffs / spoons / dallies on the ball. It was his poor short roll out to Skipp in a terrible spot which led to their goal let's not forget!

However, I am certainly pleased to see that McGovern has surpassed my expectations these past few games, his handling today was superb and that first safe was top notch. I probably owe the man an apology for writing him off!

He's definitely played as well as we all could've expected him to and more, but unfortunately for him its still nowhere close to Krul (and that's a credit to Krul at this level not a dig). We have definitely missed our leader at the back. 

8 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

No way can we not have Krul back as soon as he's ready, that would be ridiculous IMO.

McGovern was pretty faultless (for McGovern) today and has been improving with game time - I certainly feel a lot less nervy about him than I did in those first couple of games.

But being honest, not having Krul back there hinders our play massively, McGovern often makes poor decisions when it comes to retaining the ball, and also often scuffs / spoons / dallies on the ball. It was his poor short roll out to Skipp in a terrible spot which led to their goal let's not forget!

However, I am certainly pleased to see that McGovern has surpassed my expectations these past few games, his handling today was superb and that first safe was top notch. I probably owe the man an apology for writing him off!

He's definitely played as well as we all could've expected him to and more, but unfortunately for him its still nowhere close to Krul (and that's a credit to Krul at this level not a dig). We have definitely missed our leader at the back. 

That’s why I put it out there, Hank, for debate. Krul is of course our number 1, no doubt about it, I’m just pleased to see so many players reappearing to be honest, to think a week or so ago we only had 11 or 12 fit players available, it was a bit of a nail biting time that!

25 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh! Reading, yes.

I hope that I haven't been a bit premature then.

Live on Sky too, in case anyone forgets!

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

That’s why I put it out there, Hank, for debate. Krul is of course our number 1, no doubt about it, I’m just pleased to see so many players reappearing to be honest, to think a week or so ago we only had 11 or 12 fit players available, it was a bit of a nail biting time that!

And that's why I shot it back down, there isn't one! 😉

But fully agree very happy to see some quality options on the bench again. I said after the Stoke game I'd just be happy to be within touching distance of the top 2 after this crisis period (i.e. within 3-6 points). 

The fact we are now coming back into the clear and have somehow managed to pull 4 points ahead of 3rd deserves enormous credit. I'm not sure how we've managed it!

McGovern has definitely improved given his run in the side, and made some decent stops today, though we will still want to bring Krul back as soon as he’s ready.

The players do indeed deserve a lot of credit - 7 games into a horrible 9 game weekend-midweek-weekend-midweek run of games in 28 days, and we have 16pts from them despite all our injuries.   We might not be blowing sides away but are doing enough, and largely playing consistently, and that’ll more than do given the circumstances.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Not enough has been said about this, but he made a match saving save in the first half yesterday, which showed his ability and what good reactions he has. Without that save at 0-0 the match would have been much harder to win.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Not enough has been said about this, but he made a match saving save in the first half yesterday, which showed his ability and what good reactions he has. Without that save at 0-0 the match would have been much harder to win.

Decent save but surely one you’d expect at this level?  

Oddly enough, and it’s not a criticism, but watching the highlights I can’t help but think he parried the guy Elliott’s shot into the goal.  Seeing it a few times I’m pretty sure it wasn’t going in before hitting his arm, and was more of a pass across to the oncoming strikers.  That’s absolutely not a criticism any more than Krul v Leicester last season, he had to try to make the save (I’m not too sure why Jacob wasn’t tracking/tackling).

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Decent save but surely one you’d expect?  

Oddly enough, and it’s not a criticism, but watching the highlights I can’t help but think he parried the guy Elliott’s shot into the goal.  Seeing it a few times I’m pretty sure it wasn’t going in before hitting his arm, and was more of a pass across to the oncoming strikers.  That’s absolutely not a criticism any more than Krul v Leicester last season, he had to try to make the save (I’m not too sure why Jacob wasn’t tracking/tackling).

It may sound an odd thing to say but that's a sign of reacting too well. He's got his arm across so quickly that it's gone in off the inside!

At the end of the season when we're crowned champions.let's just raise a glass to MM and thank him for his contribution to all the points we've earned at this time. 

• Like 1

It's good to know we have this level of a keeper as back up. Too many have written off McGovern, perhaps because they judge him against Krul, rather than other Championship keepers.

His catching the ball in the air is reminiscent of Keelan in style - and unlike Krul he can clear the ba;; first time 😉

So praise to M, for keeping himself as sharp as he has been after bench warming so much  and again praise to Farke etc for making the right decision by keeping him on - and I wonder how important these recent  'ground out' points will be come May

It’s most certainly already been much more of a ‘squad’ thing this time around - I’m pretty sure we have used more players this season after 18 games than over entire 46 games of two seasons ago.

That save from the header yesterday is as good a save as I’ve ever seen. 

I was worried about McGovern. He's nowhere near the Krul's level. But football is a team game and Farke believes in his squad. That togetherness can help overcome individual weaknesses. 

41 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s most certainly already been much more of a ‘squad’ thing this time around - I’m pretty sure we have used more players this season after 18 games than over entire 46 games of two seasons ago.

we no longer have any of the 'petulant' little boys like Oliveira who seem to think they are better than the rest of the squad

the ethos seems to be one of each player may not be the best around - but as a team, whichever 11 that might happen to be, we are the best around

so it will be a hard task to find nominations for Scapegoat of the Season come next May 😉

It's apparent he's simply not on the same level as Krul, which isn't unexpected for a 2nd choice keeper and the 1st choice being the current Dutch national keeper with PL experience.

Yesterday was his best game for us in absolutely ages, the early reaction save deserves genuine credit and he was far more solid than he has been in the other matches.

He still doesn't inspire confidence in me, nor does he command the backline anywhere near as well as Krul, but he's seemingly exteremely popular among the players, clearly gives his best with a good attitude and that should be commended and exactly what you hope for in a squad player who's unlikely to play barring injury.

All that said, I still want Krul back asap.

Yeserdays goal was down to Hanley not seeing the danger early enough getting across too slowly to intercept Elliott.  Not doing his job on this occasion not McGovern's fault.