Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

President Biden

33 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

What is this, a pub quiz?

What kind of answer is that? You intimated that the Republicans will win the mid terms. I was merely asking for your expert analysis on who are the likely winners.

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

What kind of answer is that? You intimated that the Republicans will win the mid terms. I was merely asking for your expert analysis on who are the likely winners.

The Republicans.

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

The Republicans.

Individually.

By the way, llooked for your comments on the match. And Jools.

Where are you? Lets be avin you

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Individually.

By the way, llooked for your comments on the match. And Jools.

Where are you? Lets be avin you

What are you going to do with the information?

As for the match we played well.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

What are you going to do with the information?

As for the match we played well.

Let me see it first. Or is this another Trump tactic of just making things up? If you are such an expert that you say the Republicans will runaway with the mid terms, where does your knowledge come from?

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Let me see it first. Or is this another Trump tactic of just making things up? If you are such an expert that you say the Republicans will runaway with the mid terms, where does your knowledge come from?

My knowledge come from observing facts.

I admire the way you've shifted the goalposts in each of your responses.

First response: which candidates am I "gunning" for?

Second response: who are the likely winners?

Third response: the Republicans will run away with the mid-terms

I never claimed this. I think the Republicans will win each house by a single seat. I can give my predictions for each seat but as you can imagine it is a long list and if I am going to put that much effort into it I need to know what you intend to do with the information so that I don't waste my time.

On 05/11/2022 at 11:58, keelansgrandad said:

I reckon the Republicans will take the House and probably nick a small majority in the Senate. Unless Biden gets all the dead voters to work their magic from beyond the grave. 😂

We will find out tomorrow hopefully, unless the Democratic states all simultaneously stop counting like they did in 2020 when they realised something was wrong as Trump was streets ahead on the count. 😂

Edited by TheRock

On 06/11/2022 at 01:10, Rock The Boat said:

My knowledge come from observing facts.

I admire the way you've shifted the goalposts in each of your responses.

First response: which candidates am I "gunning" for?

Second response: who are the likely winners?

Third response: the Republicans will run away with the mid-terms

I never claimed this. I think the Republicans will win each house by a single seat. I can give my predictions for each seat but as you can imagine it is a long list and if I am going to put that much effort into it I need to know what you intend to do with the information so that I don't waste my time.

I just asked where your knowledge of the mid terms comes from is all? I didn't ask you to list them. You couldn't could you.

59 minutes ago, TheRock said:

I reckon the Republicans will take the House and probably nick a small majority in the Senate. Unless Biden gets all the dead voters to work their magic from beyond the grave. 😂

We will find out tomorrow hopefully, unless the Democratic states all simultaneously stop counting like they did in 2020 when they realised something was wrong as Trump was streets ahead on the count. 😂

You do realise, mail in voting is one of the oldest methods employed in US elections?

It’s their new thing - we’ll one of probably 100 things they used to believe in but now don’t - the  Republicans always promoted mail in voting  and now it’s apparently kryptonite. 

Not following this particularly but Justin Webb’s report from the US on radio 4 this morning seems to suggest the Democrats are going to struggle in the mid terms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Not following this particularly but Justin Webb’s report from the US on radio 4 this morning seems to suggest the Democrats are going to struggle in the mid terms.

Aye, looks very likely. A worrying time for US democracy. 

39 minutes ago, Herman said:

Aye, looks very likely. A worrying time for US democracy. 

Watched a programme last night about American divisions, especially why people would even wish to vote Trump again. One point made was that if you repeat something many times (well, ok, hundreds of times) and it then gets replayed on the news for the umpteenth time, then people believe it. Because, the message, not having gone away must somehow be real. So the "stolen" election was one such message of course. It reverberates still. Whether the actual truth or independent validation exists it doesn't matter.

We've had the same ("he got the big calls right", "350m for the NHS", "he got Brexit done", "we want to protect our borders, our sovereignty" and there are countless other examples. The Tory Party and presumably GOP are good at this sort of thing). There are lots of people who buy into it.

Of course, the election wasn't stolen (and the Georgian bloke asked to find 11000 extra votes from Trump at least stood his ground). Johnson didn't get Brexit done at all, the NHS didn't get the funds, our borders are not well protected, Johnson got many big calls wrong.

That's the unhappy world we live in. And I think it only gets worse from here. I see no promise on the horizon. People gang up against one another where before you had tolerance of another, of differences. I think the increasing push back by women and trans and many other 'minorities' is a threat too to lots of people. So you get polarisation in response. Brexit was the dislike of 'other' and played into a deep national psyche for many. 

I suggested to someone they join Twitter recently because of the ability to be informed by so many and to be entertained and educated. Reading Musk today has really made me think twice. He is suggesting folk vote Republican. It won't end well for him of course but this is 2022. 

What does one do? Becoming a hermit is ever attractive to me as I tend to be very influenced and sensitive to world events and the general social and political movements - to my eternal sin. It means turning one's back but I can't see how words or direct action in any way can be of use. These movements to the right (that's how I see it) are just going to happen.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Watched a programme last night about American divisions, especially why people would even wish to vote Trump again. One point made was that if you repeat something many times (well, ok, hundreds of times) and it then gets replayed on the news for the umpteenth time, then people believe it. Because, the message, not having gone away must somehow be real. So the "stolen" election was one such message of course. It reverberates still. Whether the actual truth or independent validation exists it doesn't matter.

We've had the same ("he got the big calls right", "350m for the NHS", "he got Brexit done", "we want to protect our borders, our sovereignty" and there are countless other examples. The Tory Party and presumably GOP are good at this sort of thing). There are lots of people who buy into it.

Of course, the election wasn't stolen (and the Georgian bloke asked to find 11000 extra votes from Trump at least stood his ground). Johnson didn't get Brexit done at all, the NHS didn't get the funds, our borders are not well protected, Johnson got many big calls wrong.

That's the unhappy world we live in. And I think it only gets worse from here. I see no promise on the horizon. People gang up against one another where before you had tolerance of another, of differences. I think the increasing push back by women and trans and many other 'minorities' is a threat too to lots of people. So you get polarisation in response. Brexit was the dislike of 'other' and played into a deep national psyche for many. 

I suggested to someone they join Twitter recently because of the ability to be informed by so many and to be entertained and educated. Reading Musk today has really made me think twice. He is suggesting folk vote Republican. It won't end well for him of course but this is 2022. 

What does one do? Becoming a hermit is ever attractive to me as I tend to be very influenced and sensitive to world events and the general social and political movements - to my eternal sin. It means turning one's back but I can't see how words or direct action in any way can be of use. These movements to the right (that's how I see it) are just going to happen.

I think it is very worrying when democracy breaks down into a populist goon show, facts be damned, appealing only to the lowest ideals. Not sure there is any easy way back.

Well on the way to a kleptocracy or authoritarian state with a thin veneer of contrived democracy. Reminds me of a certain Russian leader. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think it is very worrying when democracy breaks down into a populist goon show, facts be damned, appealing only to the lowest ideals. Not sure there is any easy way back.

Well on the way to a kleptocracy or authoritarian state with a thin veneer of contrived democracy. Reminds me of a certain Russian leader. 

Yes, both sides of the 'pond'.

I know there's the saying 'may you live in interesting times' but I rather wouldn't.

Authoritarian regimes are springing everywhere aren't they. KG shared a great video on the Trump thread and sadly Maher is right. 

Soon it will be that we are back to the times of calling out witches. Back to some kind of middle age where truth will be decided by whatever some strong loud mouthed local personality says. I know I joke but there is a serious point.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes, both sides of the 'pond'.

I know there's the saying 'may you live in interesting times' but I rather wouldn't.

Authoritarian regimes are springing everywhere aren't they. KG shared a great video on the Trump thread and sadly Maher is right. 

Soon it will be that we are back to the times of calling out witches. Back to some kind of middle age where truth will be decided by whatever some strong loud mouthed local personality says. I know I joke but there is a serious point.

Hadn't seen that Maher sketch when I wrote the above - but oddly the same thoughts and words.  

11 hours ago, sonyc said:

Dark days indeed and the Maher video didn't lift my gloom. We see the anger, hate and division being whipped up and none of us can understand what people are getting out of it. It brings nothing to their lives, no joy nor peace. Depressing. 

But I still have hope. "Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end." 

• Like 1

I have watched video after video of feckin stupid yanks. Pelosi attack was staged. You can't believe the media apart from Fox News. Jan 6 was a Hollywood production with FBI agents. The Democrats had a machine that could alter votes. Trump doesn't lie.

These people get a vote? Can you really believe it? 

Just now, Tetteys Jig said:

Enjoy your last 2 years of relative serenity America…

Then the senility starts.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Then the senility starts.

Wild to think it might come to needing DeSanctis to come good for some form of normality in 2024 for the US if the dems are going to have to lose but here we are 😄

maybe by then China will have shat the bed in Taiwan and things can really get spicy!

Do find it amazing most of these conspiracy WEF types end up simping for the GOP when it’s the billionaires they’re supposed to hate like Musk and Bezos clearly endorsing them. Who do they think will be calling the shots if social credit scores for spending a digital currency and the like come in? Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Can only see things getting worse as the global influence of UK/USA reduces. We’re Basically puppets to the likes of Saudi Arabia now. They want Trump so move the oil price meaning people vote Rep. Watch it work itself out once these midterms are done and GOP take house and senate.

It does not look as bad as it should and trump is slowly losing his grip on the gop. Desantis will be their future I think. 

• Like 2

The US Supreme Court, which now has a 6-3 right-wing/Republican majority, is about to hear a case on the independence of state legislatures on setting election rules. If passed the extreme outcome would be that even if a Democrat candidate for the presidency clearly won a state the Republican-controlled legislature could appoint delegates who would declare the Republican candidate the winner. If that seems far-fetched it was mooted by some such in the last election, although never carried through.

That aside, the aim of the law suit is to give Republican state legislatures powers to reduce the Democrat vote. One prominent Republican let the cat out of the bag a while back by saying that unless they suppressed the Democrat vote by gerrymandering and whatever other means they could they would never win another election.

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The US Supreme Court, which now has a 6-3 right-wing/Republican majority, is about to hear a case on the independence of state legislatures on setting election rules. If passed the extreme outcome would be that even if a Democrat candidate for the presidency clearly won a state the Republican-controlled legislature could appoint delegates who would declare the Republican candidate the winner. If that seems far-fetched it was mooted by some such in the last election, although never carried through.

That aside, the aim of the law suit is to give Republican state legislatures powers to reduce the Democrat vote. One prominent Republican let the cat out of the bag a while back by saying that unless they suppressed the Democrat vote by gerrymandering and whatever other means they could they would never win another election.

Unless you 'tick' the Republican box, the ballot paper is deemed 'spoilt' !!!!

11 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

Unless you 'tick' the Republican box, the ballot paper is deemed 'spoilt' !!!!

25 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If I recall I think I heard somebody knowledgeable say that the USA is a 'Constitutional Republic' not a democracy! I'll probably need to look that up and check but it does help explain why our usual notions of 'democracy' don't really apply to the USA and the SC (which after-all should follow the constitution) could concur! 

Of course, the fall out from overriding a clear 'democratic' (and that's not the election deniers) winner would be terrible to behold.

Edited by Yellow Fever

12 hours ago, Herman said:

It does not look as bad as it should and trump is slowly losing his grip on the gop. DeSantis will be their future I think. 

Agreed, and I think he knows it.  His comment last night that if DeSantis stands against him for the presidential nomination in 2024 he will reveal things about him "that only his wife knows" shows how desperate he is, and it will have done him no favours.  

Like a Halloween pumpkin, he's already past his sell by date.🎃  Sad , , ,

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 2

2 more years is quite a long time, both in politics and when you're an ageing septuagenarian, especially one that reportedly lives on burgers and cokes. I'm sure, statistically, he is on a slippery slope, whatever lawsuits there are against him. And illness or death is not something he will be able to steal or complain about being stolen from him.

• Like 1