Feedthewolf

Placheta/international break

Hi folks. It's just been announced that Placheta has been called up for the senior Polish squad for the first time, and could make his debut on Wednesday against Ukraine.

Thought this may as well serve as a dual-purpose thread to keep an eye on our players as they head off to play for their countries. Have I missed anyone?

Pukki (Finland)
Placheta (Poland)
Aarons, Skipp (England U21)
Hanley, McLean (Scotland)
Idah (Republic of Ireland)
Krul (Netherlands)
McGovern (Northern Ireland)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thought this may as well serve as a dual-purpose thread to keep an eye on our players as they head off to play for their countries.

You had better let Cambridgeshire Canary know. 😜😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

You had better let Cambridgeshire Canary know. 😜😂

Only one thread made by me on the front page but still appreciate me being rent free in your mind 😘

Seriously however always lovely to see our players getting a call up. Pukki pretty much guaranteed to start, will be interesting to see if Placheta does or if he will be an impact sub

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just occurred to me... is Sorensen away with Denmark U21s, or is he too old now? He's 23 in March. Any of our Academy lads away with younger international age groups, does anyone know?

I guess Placheta might start on Wednesday, or at least be used from the bench. I'd say he's more likely to feature on Wednesday in the friendly against Ukraine, as their other two games are against Italy and Netherlands in the Nations League so they might prefer more experienced players.

Denmark because of mink infecting Danes with Covid have decided not to call up Danes in PL.  Unsure if Sorenson will be called up to U 21's.  Age for call up depends on age at start of comp Sorenson ok for call up as already played.  

See below from BBC

On Sunday, Denmark boss Kasper Hjulmand selected an additional nine players in his squad because he expects to be without seven British-based players.

The affected players are: Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, Everton goalkeeper Jonas Lossl, Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen, Southampton centre-half Jannik Vestergaard, Brentford right-back Henrik Dalsgaard, Brentford midfielder Mathias Jensen and Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

If Danish U 21's play outside of Denmark Sorenson will be called up, which means at least one game.

5 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Grant Hanley pull out injury

And Max.

Bet they both start for us against Middlesbrough though 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Just occurred to me... is Sorensen away with Denmark U21s, or is he too old now? He's 23 in March. Any of our Academy lads away with younger international age groups, does anyone know?

Sorensen is eligible. All players born after 1 January 1998 can play, which is why Cantwell (and Godfrey) have been playing for the U21s this season despite being a few months away from their 23rd birthday themselves.

• Thanks 1

Better hope it is nothing more serious than a ploy to keep Hanley wrapped in cotton wool for our forthcoming games because with Gibson injured for the Swansea game the thought of two out of three sidelined for the next game could spell trouble.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Pukki (Finland)
Placheta (Poland)
Aarons, Skipp (England U21)
Hanley, McLean (Scotland)
Idah (Republic of Ireland)
Krul (Netherlands)
McGovern (Northern Ireland)

I think this should your next cycle route 😉

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Better hope it is nothing more serious than a ploy to keep Hanley wrapped in cotton wool for our forthcoming games because with Gibson injured for the Swansea game the thought of two out of three sidelined for the next game could spell trouble.

No confidence in centreback superstar Tetty?

So only Placheta starting tonight, then; Krul and Pukki both on the bench for their respective matches.

All the home nations are playing tomorrow night, and England U21s on Friday.

In the past it was always a source of pride having a squad littered with internals, whatever the country.

Nowadays, with players getting injured at the drop of a hat and with games in the Championship coming thick and fast it causes a degree of trepidation.

Thrilled for Placheta and his selection and it illustrates just where we are as a football club that an impact player, imo, for NCFC can be considered for that at least for a team once famous for being Ramsay's nemesis. They may be second rate these days though.   

Let's hope that he doesn't assume the role of Tomaszewski and become the 'clown.'  Let's hope he plays as well as that 'keeper did on the day.

Pukki most of all could do with a couple of weeks off.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Krul will play in qualifiers only Dutch keeper with any international caps, Cillesen injured.  Giving keeper tonight a taste.

Placheta got 83 minutes. Not bad - he gets a good dose of game time in his legs. Not sure if he'll play the other two, but we'll see. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a half to sixty minutes in one, just to keep him ticking over nicely.

On 09/11/2020 at 16:15, TIL 1010 said:

Pretty sure Farke is doing just that, keeping them wrapped in cotton wool. He's expressed concern over players going away for international duty so much in this strange period we're in already so this approach would seem to make sense. Personally, I'm glad if they've done that. Probably minor niggles, they could play, but it isn't worth the risk. So many games in succession at the moment and it's got to be tough on the body.

Hoping this international break gives them the opportunity to renew and refresh the bodies!

11 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

In the past it was always a source of pride having a squad littered with internals, whatever the country.

Nowadays, with players getting injured at the drop of a hat and with games in the Championship coming thick and fast it causes a degree of trepidation.

Shurely a source of horrific tragedy, more like? - Ed.

It’s been this way for years of course, but personally I’ve only just started feeling the stakes are so high for clubs - not least our own - that I actually now agree with this attitude.

International football is fun for a week or two every couple of years, but it’s not like countries are facing existential questions  about their future. (Exhibit C : there’ll always be an England)

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Did not watch the Poland/Ukriane match but heard from a friend who did that Placheta did play pretty well, hearing he also got an assist?

7 minutes ago, kirku said:

And that game needed a crowd. Poland / Ukraine (fair bit of rivalry there) with a crowd in Warsaw, the whole damn crowd belting out the Polish national anthem... that would have been great.

Rather under the radar it seems, but Soto I think has a chance of some involvement for the US against Wales this evening.

Placheta played quite well I thought! He's at the stage of his development where any sort of high-level minutes are positive for him. There is definitely something there to get excited about in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Rather under the radar it seems, but Soto I think has a chance of some involvement for the US against Wales this evening.

I thought it was all but certain? He has a Chilean parent, so I think the USA is really wanting to cap him.

This Nations League/Euro 2020 qualifying still confuses me after reading about it again and again ... if Northern Ireland and Scotland win today they are IN? I'd love to see both qualify AND have the actual tournament, you know, happen in front of actual people in 2021 ... 🙃

18 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Placheta played quite well I thought! He's at the stage of his development where any sort of high-level minutes are positive for him. There is definitely something there to get excited about in my opinion.

Kind of reminds me of Adama (just without the muscle obviously)

Full of amazing pace and speed but does seem to lack somewhat of a cutting edge in the box and tends to panic when he does get there a little 

No doubt if he keeps training he will improve though