Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match thread v Millwall*****

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Glad you enjoyed it. I was commenting on this game, not the one before, or the one after.

It was a poor game, but our unbeaten run continues.

I understand that. However, I reserve the right to point out you were being extremely melodramatic and that we showed some reasonable moments on the back of an ardous 6 game run, against a team who were content to stick 11 men behind the ball.

Lack of urgency.

This may sound counter intuitive, but I actually think Alex might drive the midfield on more effectively. He's such a powerful player, & nobody else really has that strength.

• Like 1

Just now, vos said:

Placheta looks a good prospect with his strength and ball control but never really attacked the full back on the outside. Have yet to see signs of his lightning pace.

He's shown that pace off the ball, but doesn't have anywhere near the same pace on the ball, its a sign that he still has a lot of work to do. Did well to fashion the chance which hit the post though.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's shown that pace off the ball, but doesn't have anywhere near the same pace on the ball, its a sign that he still has a lot of work to do. Did well to fashion the chance which hit the post though.

Early days, think he is understandably lacking a little in confidence but could grow into a real asset this season.

Reminded me of the Derby game this one (sans pen miss and sucker punch goal, but the latter was close!). Think like when derby got humped their game before us, Millwalls thrashing against Huddersfield worked against us as the then worked hard defensively after a shambles the game before, making it harder for us to break them down.

Hopefully Swansea will be a more open team looking to attack us and leaving us gaps to exploit at the back. Obviously we will need to be more switched on defensively as they will offer a much greater threat going forward, but I think there will be goals to be had for both teams and we should end up on top.

Edited by CanaryChris
Stopped autocorrect

Thought Farke should have been a little more strategic with his subs. Vrancic on around the hour mark would have been a sensible move IMO. Easy to say in hindsight, but the triple substitution seemed unnecessarily gung ho, and at that late stage gave us no time to re-settle. 

Still, unbeaten run continues. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

My word Milwall were negative

Well it worked for them didnt it? Feel a lot of teams are going to be trying the classic 11 at the back parked bus formation against us, we best get used to it

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sorenson looks like he can become a class player, Rupp is our midfield don, Hanley had a good game. 

Agree with this.

Also with whoever said they're unconvinced by Hugill - it's definitely not clicking for him.

Frustrating we've had a disproportionate amount of injuries with our AMs. One look at the bench today and it was fairly clear we didn't have many options to change things up against a stubbornly negative team like they were.

1 minute ago, kirku said:

Agree with this.

Also with whoever said they're unconvinced by Hugill - it's definitely not clicking for him.

Frustrating we've had a disproportionate amount of injuries with our AMs. One look at the bench today and it was fairly clear we didn't have many options to change things up against a stubbornly negative team like they were.

Well we have Cantwell... I hope he can come back in and be effective.

Ideally a Cantwell with his head sorted out will come in for Placheta, with Placheta being a weapon off the bench against tired legs.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well it worked for them didnt it? Feel a lot of teams are going to be trying the classic 11 at the back parked bus formation against us, we best get used to it

Indeed, it worked for Millwall and Derby, and it nearly worked for Wycombe and Birmingham. Other teams will notice this and continue to do it until we start beating them convincingly.

Seemed no need to make so many positional changes when we were in complete control, we were all over the place after the substitutions

• Like 1

City missed a crowd tonight. Apart from 10 mins before halftime we never really built up a head of steam or put Millwall under a sustained period of pressure, a crowd would have drove them on a lot more especially 2nd half when little happened.

Strangely for us we looked tight at the back, Hanley had a very good game, but didn't create that many good chances and lacked cutting edge up front. We now just need to combine attacking and defending in the same match!

18 points from the first 10 games is really not a bad return at all, especially given the abysmal relegation last season.

Not sure what fans were expecting, but 30 points and smashing teams week in week out was never going to happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well we have Cantwell... I hope he can come back in and be effective.

Ideally a Cantwell with his head sorted out will come in for Placheta, with Placheta being a weapon off the bench against tired legs.

Exactly. Shame Onel and Dowell are out for such a length of time. Placheta and Onel off the bench is an enviable option.

Just now, kirku said:

We're not his gig though right? I did wonder why we bought a bully when we don't play agricultural football. I know he is supposed to be a plan b but none of our midfielders really provide the service he needs and asking a guy who has made a living out of being an awkward lump to suddenly change his game is unfair on the lad.

I cannot see him getting too many this season. Though he does take a good pen. That is useful

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Indeed, it worked for Millwall and Derby, and it nearly worked for Wycombe and Birmingham. Other teams will notice this and continue to do it until we start beating them convincingly.

This is what I find frustrating. I do bang on a bit about Mario Vrancic, but these are exactly the games he should be starting. Games where teams sit back, give us time on the ball, and require something very creative and special to break them down. 

Brentford away, is not an ideal game for Vrancic to start. A team that will press and put us on the back foot. That's where Mario struggles with his mobility. 

• Like 1

Take the point and move on, the clean sheet is a positive at least. Hopefully Swansea come and have a go on Saturday. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

28 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Did I say it didn’t work (for them)? I just said they were negative. 

This is starting to feel a bit like two seasons ago, when City won so many points away from home, indeed  lost only 2 away games  but 4 at home. Most teams will come to Carra to park the bus so inevitably  we will get a few  draws and the odd Derby  type defeat, but away will get a bit more freedom as onus  is on home teams mostly to come out of the shell and be more attack minded.

A clean sheet and welcome point to continue the unbeaten run but not the game I was expecting. Stiepermann didn't continue his good form from the last match and I would have replaced him with Vrancic earlier in the half.This was a game that Vrancic would have been a major player as Millwall just sat back and relied on a massed defence which would allow a player of Vrancic ability to boss the game.For me at the moment Placheta is not the answer,he has not done a lot to excite me yet.At the moment I would have to say that Rupp is the surprise package.Almost a revelation,as his games played after the resumption last season were anything but impressive,but this season he has found his best position - top marks.

12 hours ago, Essjayess said:

This is starting to feel a bit like two seasons ago, when City won so many points away from home, indeed  lost only 2 away games  but 4 at home. Most teams will come to Carra to park the bus so inevitably  we will get a few  draws and the odd Derby  type defeat, but away will get a bit more freedom as onus  is on home teams mostly to come out of the shell and be more attack minded.

Not without a crowd they won't. It's a different game this season, who will adapt best?