kirku

Delia calling for fans' return

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

She has hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons again, keep the cork in the bottle Delia

Nonsense.

What it boils down to is that she’s absolutely right.

Football needs fans. Football IS fans. There is NO reason why supporters should not be allowed back with the appropriate safety measures put in place of course. Quite frankly, it’s an absolute joke.

• Like 1

Love Delia, would love to back in the ground but her rant is at best naive and at worst completely bloody stupid! Everybody calling for return of fans because they are outside just look at the daily statistics and even Germany are now backing off it. Talk ****e have been beating this drum for weeks, ignorant Durham at the forefront - everybody is now a medical expert. Does my nut in!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Nonsense.

Football needs fans. Football IS fans. There is NO reason why supporters should not be allowed back with the appropriate safety measures put in place of course. Quite frankly, it’s an absolute joke.

You summed it up in your first word and you are talking it😡

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

There is NO reason why supporters should not be allowed back with the appropriate safety measures put in place of course.

The exponential spread of the virus coupled with the complete absence of an effective track and trace system might have something to do with it, no?

40 minutes ago, kirku said:

The exponential spread of the virus coupled with the complete absence of an effective track and trace system might have something to do with it, no?

But we can all gather in pubs for 11 hours a day? Or walk around the likes of Morrisons in close proximity to many people, who are wearing a mask but that’s actually completely irrelevant because nearly everyone picks up food items that they don’t purchase... and several others may do the same thing before that food item is finally bought.

It is absolutely ridiculous that, with ALL SAFETY MEASURES IN PLACE, football stadia, outdoors with plenty of space, cannot host a certain percentage of socially distanced supporters. 

20 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Sounds like she is in the vino again

We must be thankful it was pre match and not post match the interview 

53 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

But we can all gather in pubs for 11 hours a day? Or walk around the likes of Morrisons in close proximity to many people, who are wearing a mask but that’s actually completely irrelevant because nearly everyone picks up food items that they don’t purchase... and several others may do the same thing before that food item is finally bought.

It is absolutely ridiculous that, with ALL SAFETY MEASURES IN PLACE, football stadia, outdoors with plenty of space, cannot host a certain percentage of socially distanced supporters. 

I agree with you, people shouldn't be allowed in pubs either.

There is a complete lack of coherence with the rules in place, it's almost as if the government doesn't have a proper plan, isn't it? I would draw the line at food shopping, mind.

For reference, Germany, who have been several magnitudes better at handling the pandemic than the UK, have just stopped fans attending matches again. 

Edited by kirku
  • Like 2

Surely inside te stadium isn't the problem?

I don't think there's any more risk in sitting socially distanced in a football stadium than walking through the city popping into shops. I think.there's less risk sitting socially distanced in a football stadium than going to the pub. Or in fact sitting in the TOTT watching on a screen.

But where I see a greater risk than all of those is thousands of people arriving and leaving the same place at the same time. Not just in and out of the stadium but also congregating in local areas. Pubs. And last but not least public transport.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Please don’t take this as a criticism of what you say, but on the one hand you are right 200 fans indoors but not 1000 outdoors is probably a better example. To some that will mean we should allow fans outside to others ( me included ) I would say to that 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

I live in the Midlands where the messages given were interpreted as the virus is on its way out, and people ( especially younger ) took it that way. You are all very lucky ( if that’s the right word ) you have managed to keep the virus in the main out of Norfolk. Where I live it is like a Tsunami, when the virus takes hold it rips through areas. The message comes at a time where here in The Midlands the disease is running riot our hospitals are filling up and the 1st Nightingale has been opened. You should carry on stopping this evil virus and the message sent out in my opinion tells you ‘ life’s getting back to normal ‘ whilst 1/3 of the country is in what we would describe as a lockdown.

• Like 2

What an honour it would be to host the PM for a game. No doubt if he was in the city, the equally delightful Chloe Smith would make an appearance too. 

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

You have taken note of what is going on again in Germany, France and Spain i trust Alex ?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Again with the greatest respect our football club are in tier 1 on the scale, and yes she is right rule of 6 ect, ect, but this letter does not ( assuming I have read it correctly ) just refer to Norwich City Football Club, it refers I believe to football in general. Come past Coventry ( and moving South by the day ) and areas are tier 2 at best and many tier 3. So again unless I live under rules ( live Midlands ) that I don’t understand then this says we are football let’s get around it for some money. 
She says let’s all stick together, maybe you can loosen the rules up here then. You have not got Covid rampaging through Norfolk and your hospitals are not filling fast, I would beg you to keep it that way and not trade things like football matches for our families.

• Like 1

The letter in full

Dear Boris,

I know what you are going through and how inexplicably difficult it all is. And here am I, one more letter to read and one more plea for help. Sorry. The good news is I am not asking for money, and the second bit of good news is, what I am asking for is something very positive and uplifting, in the midst of these dark and gloomy times.

Please, please can you make a decision to allow just a percentage of football supporters into the ground to watch games.

Grown-up logic tells us what even the scientists must agree with: temperature checks, with supporters two metres apart, hand sanitising, masks, and so much empty space, distancing and open air, has to be perfectly safe, and what’s more it’s a far better option than six round a table watching a match inside. Channel Four news filmed this all happening at Carrow Road on September 19th. And it honestly worked like a dream.

Looking ahead to the possibility and consequences of smaller clubs ceasing to exist, we need to remind ourselves that football is one of the last bastions of what it means to be community in contemporary life.

How many times do we hear the words ‘stronger together’? It gives the young a sense of belonging, no need to join a gang. It also manages to transcend colour, racism, class and age.

Clubs at the heart of communities are saving the government and the taxpayer some of the high costs of youth crime. Whilst the charitable Football Foundations working alongside the clubs make an enormous contribution to those in most need in the communities they serve. Again, saving the taxpayer.

What we all need is good news, hope and what you could get is a whole stash of brownie points. England invented the beautiful game, which has become much more than that. An unsung gem that makes an enormous contribution to our society at no cost. Please, Prime Minister, before the final whistle is blown, can we have our football back?

Yours sincerely,

Delia Smith

Director, Norwich City Football Club

PS: Let me know if ever you want tickets to a game.

Shame about the last line.

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Nonsense.

Again with the greatest of respect come and move North, I lived in Norfolk until July. When it arrives it is a Tsunami. You don’t know who has it and neither do they. I will say again keep it out of Norfolk the best you can, if it starts to get in you are in for a shock it’s like a tsunami. You can’t see your friends, your family please believe me the risk is not worth it. It took Stoke 2 weeks to move from a City held up for the way it kept the disease out to the verge of tier 3.

Had she said this a month ago fair enough, now ?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Again with the greatest respect our football club are in tier 1 on the scale, and yes she is right rule of 6 ect, ect, but this letter does not ( assuming I have read it correctly ) just refer to Norwich City Football Club, it refers I believe to football in general. Come past Coventry ( and moving South by the day ) and areas are tier 2 at best and many tier 3. So again unless I live under rules ( live Midlands ) that I don’t understand then this says we are football let’s get around it for some money. 
She says let’s all stick together, maybe you can loosen the rules up here then. You have not got Covid rampaging through Norfolk and your hospitals are not filling fast, I would beg you to keep it that way and not trade things like football matches for our families.

I have no quarrel with you, or your point of view. 

My view is posted further up this thread.

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Nonsense.

I mean.... The fact that hospitals are filling up alarmingly quickly right now is a pretty good reason. 

3 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Bojo would be as welcome to Carra as Jeremy Corbyn would be to a bar mitzvah......

I think you'll find Corbyns problem is with the Israeli states actions , not the Jewish  religion. 

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The letter in full

Dear Boris,

I know what you are going through and how inexplicably difficult it all is. And here am I, one more letter to read and one more plea for help. Sorry. The good news is I am not asking for money, and the second bit of good news is, what I am asking for is something very positive and uplifting, in the midst of these dark and gloomy times.

Please, please can you make a decision to allow just a percentage of football supporters into the ground to watch games.

Grown-up logic tells us what even the scientists must agree with: temperature checks, with supporters two metres apart, hand sanitising, masks, and so much empty space, distancing and open air, has to be perfectly safe, and what’s more it’s a far better option than six round a table watching a match inside. Channel Four news filmed this all happening at Carrow Road on September 19th. And it honestly worked like a dream.

Looking ahead to the possibility and consequences of smaller clubs ceasing to exist, we need to remind ourselves that football is one of the last bastions of what it means to be community in contemporary life.

How many times do we hear the words ‘stronger together’? It gives the young a sense of belonging, no need to join a gang. It also manages to transcend colour, racism, class and age.

Clubs at the heart of communities are saving the government and the taxpayer some of the high costs of youth crime. Whilst the charitable Football Foundations working alongside the clubs make an enormous contribution to those in most need in the communities they serve. Again, saving the taxpayer.

What we all need is good news, hope and what you could get is a whole stash of brownie points. England invented the beautiful game, which has become much more than that. An unsung gem that makes an enormous contribution to our society at no cost. Please, Prime Minister, before the final whistle is blown, can we have our football back?

Yours sincerely,

Delia Smith

Director, Norwich City Football Club

PS: Let me know if ever you want tickets to a game.

Shame about the last line.

The last line says it all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Bojo would be as welcome to Carra as Jeremy Corbyn would be to a bar mitzvah......

Really? Norfolk looks pretty blue to me...

aaaa.JPG.e6adb72c2175ba777b8d9ed35d944d48.JPG

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I have no quarrel with you, or your point of view. 

My view is posted further up this thread.

Sorry nigel

Please don’t think I am objecting to any views, it’s the letter not you that I am questioning. I really appreciate people will have different views. Just think it is totally the wrong timing and she just is unaware of what’s happening outside Norfolk / Suffolk. I really cannot wait for the day I step back into FCR, but now is not the time ( in my opinion ).

Hope that clears any misunderstanding.

44 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I think you'll find Corbyns problem is with the Israeli states actions , not the Jewish  religion. 

You carry on thinking......

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Sorry nigel

Please don’t think I am objecting to any views, it’s the letter not you that I am questioning. I really appreciate people will have different views. Just think it is totally the wrong timing and she just is unaware of what’s happening outside Norfolk / Suffolk. I really cannot wait for the day I step back into FCR, but now is not the time ( in my opinion ).

Hope that clears any misunderstanding.

No worries buddy.

it was the bit about "you keep it that way and not trade things like football matches for our families"

I see now you meant Delia. I think that's a bit strong too but each to their own.

It's tough on us all. People don't always show it but we're all living under great strain. We daily have to make decisions that could effect ours and other folks lives. And old and vulnerable communities have already lost the contact they had with the outside world.

I try not to be too hasty to judge.

• Like 1