Vrancic could have come on much earlier around the 60 minute mark (probably for Skipp) and we could have had 2 or 3 goals instead of just one, but that's all hyopthetical.

Also, McLean should be getting nowhere near the team at present, as I'd rather play Skipp, Rupp, Vrancic, Leitner or Tettey over him (and probably Sorenson as well for that matter).

1 minute ago, Indy_Bones said:

Vrancic could have come on much earlier around the 60 minute mark (probably for Skipp) and we could have had 2 or 3 goals instead of just one, but that's all hyopthetical.

I think that's more likely what Vrancic will get - than a start in the next match. Always worthy of 30 minutes at least in these types of game

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The Rupp-aissance continues apace. McLean's going to be struggling to get back in at this rate. Vrancic is more super-sub territory against these kinds of packed defences when we've worked them over.

I disagree. I think Mario has his place, in games where we need to create and are going to have a lot of the ball, he should start and play as much as possible. When we are against more even teams to us that will cause us a threat, his lack of mobility creates more of a hinderance than his (undoubted) quality with the ball gives us and would be better used as a super sub in these games if we are chasing. Against lower quality, defending teams, he should start.

6 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

we play other midfielders who only know how to pass sideways and backwards, and offer no attacking threat or creativity.

Tettey has done that here for the last 8 years but is considered a hero. (Everyone, this is your cue to attack me).

12 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Two big wins. It's slowly turning, Rupp for Mclean seems to be making a positive difference. 

It has been the turning point as Rupp gives us so much more being able to play an advanced role. 

Vrancic was needed a lot earlier today to pick the lock, but I’m not surprised Farke stuck with the team as there were plenty of good chances created but not finished off. 

Have to say Todd was better than Emi today. 

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I disagree. I think Mario has his place, in games where we need to create and are going to have a lot of the ball, he should start and play as much as possible. When we are against more even teams to us that will cause us a threat, his lack of mobility creates more of a hinderance than his (undoubted) quality with the ball gives us and would be better used as a super sub in these games if we are chasing. Against lower quality, defending teams, he should start.

Tettey has done that here for the last 8 years but is considered a hero. (Everyone, this is your cue to attack me).

Certainly a very fair point against the weaker sides, but that's assuming they set up in such a low block. If they have such a block but with pace to burn on the counter, I'm not so sure he's that player. I'd like to see him with Placheta a lot, simply as Placheta's pace means Vrancic - a very good passer anyway - has a little bit more margin for error.

7 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Vrancic was needed a lot earlier today to pick the lock, but I’m not surprised Farke stuck with the team as there were plenty of good chances created but not finished off. 

Have to say Todd was better than Emi today. 

Yeah, by a long way. Emi was pretty handy defensively though but very poor in the final 3rd

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Certainly a very fair point against the weaker sides, but that's assuming they set up in such a low block. If they have such a block but with pace to burn on the counter, I'm not so sure he's that player. I'd like to see him with Placheta a lot, simply as Placheta's pace means Vrancic - a very good passer anyway - has a little bit more margin for error.

The pace question of Vrancic always annoys me slightly. If you think back over the years of the decent deep lying ball players we've had, not all have been blessed with pace. Under Lambert we had Fox, he was signed aged 26 and wasn't the fastest then. But that deep lying role doesn't have to have the fastest player perform it. Crook wasn't known for having blistering pace either.

Then look on the bigger scale. Scholes wasn't the fastest of players, especially not by the time he helped Man Utd to the title when he last played for them having come back out of retirement to do it. Pirlo enjoyed a long and glittering career and he certainly didn't have a lot of pace, in fact, that is the why he was used deeper after forging a career further up the field.

Perhaps with the way we play Vrancic isn't ideal for one of those two holding positions but perhaps that is something that can be worked on. Play him as a deeper No.10? 

What an encouraging performance... doesn’t matter how easy it looks on paper, all of these teams are organised and all will park the bus.   This wasn’t easy but some brilliant interplay....    Individually and collectively a great performance.    Rupp, Buendia and Cantwell all wanted the ball constantly.... great to see!   OTBC

• Like 3

Just now, NFN FC said:

Yeah, by a long way. Emi was pretty handy defensively though but very poor in the final 3rd

Has to be said, as an attacking player, it's not always going to be your night and things wont always come off for you. But the sign of a focused and decent team player is one that sticks to his duties defensively. 

Vrancic had no chance of picking the lock against a team packing their defensive third so greatly.

Delighted he got the winning goal, but I think we can all agree the tactics from the start, and match winning substitutions showed that Farke is more than capable of absolute masterstrokes?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chicken said:

The pace question of Vrancic always annoys me slightly. If you think back over the years of the decent deep lying ball players we've had, not all have been blessed with pace. Under Lambert we had Fox, he was signed aged 26 and wasn't the fastest then. But that deep lying role doesn't have to have the fastest player perform it. Crook wasn't known for having blistering pace either.

Then look on the bigger scale. Scholes wasn't the fastest of players, especially not by the time he helped Man Utd to the title when he last played for them having come back out of retirement to do it. Pirlo enjoyed a long and glittering career and he certainly didn't have a lot of pace, in fact, that is the why he was used deeper after forging a career further up the field.

Perhaps with the way we play Vrancic isn't ideal for one of those two holding positions but perhaps that is something that can be worked on. Play him as a deeper No.10? 

A deeper number 10 is exactly what I'd think - in fact if it comes to Vrancic I'd go further and push Vrancic in as a classic deep-lying playmaker, then move Cantwell and Buendia in a bit, so basically we'd end up with the Christmas tree. However, considering our vulnerabilities in this area, pace is a useful defensive weapon, and it's at a premium now Godfrey's left us.

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

Very good points, but it's worth noting that all of those who played in this current generation (the last 15 years or so) played almost exclusively in a midfield three, which allowed for the fact these players had no pace.

Would we do the same for Vrancic and go 4-3-3, or even 4-3-1-2?

Well played lads, really good performance, you can see confidence beginning to grow. Onwards and upwards.

38 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Todd was different class. Worth a lot more than whats been offered.

Maybe he deserves a new contract.

15 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

What an encouraging performance... doesn’t matter how easy it looks on paper, all of these teams are organised and all will park the bus.   This wasn’t easy but some brilliant interplay....    Individually and collectively a great performance.    Rupp, Buendia and Cantwell all wanted the ball constantly.... great to see!   OTBC

This⬆️

Good result. Bit worried we will struggle the number of goals you need in the Championship to succeed. Teams know how to make it difficult for us.

20 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Good result. Bit worried we will struggle the number of goals you need in the Championship to succeed. Teams know how to make it difficult for us.

Whilst that is true based on matches like tonight, the flip side is that in order to make things difficult for us they offer very little going forward themselves. If they want to try to hurt us, they're going to have to leave more gaps that we can exploit.

8 hours ago, NFN FC said:

Funny, we all see the game slightly differently. I just watch the game again and Emi impressed me with the quality of his final ball, whereas Todd was more visible around the pitch Emi was the one providing killer passes into the box. The winner included. 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Funny, we all see the game slightly differently. I just watch the game again and Emi impressed me with the quality of his final ball, whereas Todd was more visible around the pitch Emi was the one providing killer passes into the box. The winner included. 

One of the best ever in yellow to thread a killer pass to a forward from nowhere. 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

I guess he made the important difference in the end. He wasn't up to his usual high standard though but I may expect to much from him

On 20/10/2020 at 23:55, KiwiScot said:

I'm not too worried about that at the moment. I'm more worried about getting a solid defence going. Our goals were needed last time but only because they had to out-score those we conceded. This time we need to be stronger in defence. Worth noting that Shef Utd went up with quite a few less goals scored than us. A string of 1-0s is better than a 4-0 win and three draws.