Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

Villa v Liverpool

A few deflected goals from pot shots and Liverpool played really poorly. They should have conceded a penalty early on and one of their goals looked offside to me so Villa definitely had more than their fair share of luck to get that scoreline. 

However they'll still probably do well this year, they're the archetypical modern PL team, big, pacy, counter attacking with quality attacking players who can all beat a man and dribble at speed. 

If you're going to use their current success to cast our club in a bad light I would suggest looking more enviously at their effective playing style rather than their outrageous spending. If they spent 150m but insisted on playing a short passing, tippy tappy game I'm certain they would be struggling and definitely couldn't have forced a result like today, pretty much all of their goals came on the break or from set pieces. Our style is scintillating when it works, but if we're not confident and in absolutely top form or the opposition work hard enough to stop us playing it's really not very effective and very dreary to watch and I'd argue the massive influx of more physical, athletic players into the PL over the last 5 years has made it harder than ever to get away with playing this way. If our last promotion winning team went up in 2010 they would have been fine, but the games changed a lot in the last decade. Teams like Villa are embracing that, we seem to want to do our own thing to our detriment. 

• Like 1

I'm concerned that some posters don't realise they're contradicting themselves.

Annoyingly, its not @Midlands Yellow so I can't have a pop at him 😉

But on a serious note, quite a few of the same posters who want us to have had "a proper go" at staying in the prem...

I'm not sure how much that equates to but let's say 30m...

Some of those same posters have accused Webber of signing "dross".

So im interested how those posters think we would have done better spending 30m on dross and having big contracts for this dross hanging around our neck for the next few years?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Jürgen Klopp has bought 26 players for £508,150,000

Nope. Read the article - it's a net spend £75m if you include sales of players. You sell at the height of a player's ability and buy in others who will go on to do better.  If Klopp spent £508,150,000, he sold players to the tune of around £433,000,000.  

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0626/1149840-how-klopp-built-a-title-winning-team-for-just-l75m/

It's not always about how much you spend, it's about how wisely you spend.

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

A few deflected goals from pot shots and Liverpool played really poorly. They should have conceded a penalty early on and one of their goals looked offside to me so Villa definitely had more than their fair share of luck to get that scoreline. 

However they'll still probably do well this year, they're the archetypical modern PL team, big, pacy, counter attacking with quality attacking players who can all beat a man and dribble at speed. 

If you're going to use their current success to cast our club in a bad light I would suggest looking more enviously at their effective playing style rather than their outrageous spending. If they spent 150m but insisted on playing a short passing, tippy tappy game I'm certain they would be struggling and definitely couldn't have forced a result like today, pretty much all of their goals came on the break or from set pieces. Our style is scintillating when it works, but if we're not confident and in absolutely top form or the opposition work hard enough to stop us playing it's really not very effective and very dreary to watch and I'd argue the massive influx of more physical, athletic players into the PL over the last 5 years has made it harder than ever to get away with playing this way. If our last promotion winning team went up in 2010 they would have been fine, but the games changed a lot in the last decade. Teams like Villa are embracing that, we seem to want to do our own thing to our detriment. 

Fair play. Great post and all I can say is I totally agree.End of.If anybody disagrees I really hope they can put forward an answer which they can give good reason for.🔰

12 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

If they spent 150m but insisted on playing a short passing, tippy tappy game I'm certain they would be struggling and definitely couldn't have forced a result like today

But then Farkeball is not tippy tappy.  When played properly it is incisive and effective and a joy to watch. At the moment the team are trying hard to play the right way - maybe too hard at the moment - we have a few new players being assimilated which makes the instinctive game that we play harder to do to start with.  It will improve.

9 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

6! If you took away all the deflected goals, it'd be a tight game 

And if you took away my dad's ba**s he would be my mum.

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

No, that's absolutely not right. It's you that uses the few who do better to justify why you see us as a failure.

I use the many who do worse to justify why we succeed.

But ultimately you're obsessed with our owners and other people's money.

Seems as though others are obsessed with a model and not winning football games though... The ethos of a successful professional football club is not celebrating the amount of money it makes selling it's best players.

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Nope. Read the article - it's a net spend £75m if you include sales of players. You sell at the height of a player's ability and buy in others who will go on to do better.  If Klopp spent £508,150,000, he sold players to the tune of around £433,000,000.  

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0626/1149840-how-klopp-built-a-title-winning-team-for-just-l75m/

It's not always about how much you spend, it's about how wisely you spend.

He spent what I said he did and the net spend is £289m not £75m. Admittedly half of Manchester City but still a huge amount of money and certainly not laughable net spend of £1m to then continue selling once relegated. https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/11-stats-on-how-liverpools-finances-have-changed-since-klopp-arrived/#:~:text=– While Liverpool's net transfer spend,lower than Chelsea's £414million.

It's not always about how much you spend but if you want to remain in the top flight and reap the rewards of all that brings, particularly in the current climate then it most certainly is. Being in a division that at the moment, does not make financial sense, with owners who have a net spend of zero is not a sensible place to be.

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

No, that's absolutely not right. It's you that uses the few who do better to justify why you see us as a failure.

I use the many who do worse to justify why we succeed.

But ultimately you're obsessed with our owners and other people's money.

I think you’ll find it’s our owners obsessed with other clubs money, but you nearly got it right. 
Have a lovely day and limit yourself to time spent on here. 

6 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Klopp has to go! 

Sorry got carried away, so used to reading idiots on here claiming Farke should 

Some people run out of reactions to post so surely you must soon run out of the word idiot to use when describing posters ?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Seems as though others are obsessed with a model and not winning football games though... The ethos of a successful professional football club is not celebrating the amount of money it makes selling it's best players.

I'm surprised that you wanted to get involved in this nonsense Kenny but you bail from any sensible discussion we have.

None of that has anything to do with my post. Or anything we've ever discussed on here.

13 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think you’ll find it’s our owners obsessed with other clubs money, but you nearly got it right. 
Have a lovely day and limit yourself to time spent on here. 

Meanwhile...

How are you getting on finding that bet Midlands?

19 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Meanwhile...

How are you getting on finding that bet Midlands?

Have you made any effort as you seem excited by it? To be fair it was me who mentioned it and you couldn’t recall it so I have nothing to hide. I will as I’ve said before find it and inform you immediately. 

39 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Have you made any effort as you seem excited by it? To be fair it was me who mentioned it and you couldn’t recall it so I have nothing to hide. I will as I’ve said before find it and inform you immediately. 

Ok

Just to add, I'm not excited by it. I'm actually appalled by it. I hate to think that the kids have missed out. Especially if it's my fault. Plus it kind of questions my honesty. I don't know how you expect me to find it when I have no recollection of it. How about you just tell me what it was.

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Ok

Just to add, I'm not excited by it. I'm actually appalled by it. I hate to think that the kids have missed out. Especially if it's my fault. Plus it kind of questions my honesty. I don't know how you expect me to find it when I have no recollection of it. How about you just tell me what it was.

If I knew exactly what it was as I would have found it by now! I think your being over dramatic to say the least. It was based on how many players would leave I think. I went high and you went low but then you told me there was no such bet or you couldn’t remember. No kids will miss out as in if we struck a bet it’s not disappeared. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If I knew exactly what it was as I would have found it by now! I think your being over dramatic to say the least. It was based on how many players would leave I think. I went high and you went low but then you told me there was no such bet or you couldn’t remember. No kids will miss out as in if we struck a bet it’s not disappeared. 

I didn't say there was no such bet. I said I didn't remember it.

I'll put a tenner in the pot and we'll call it sorted. However if you think it's more let me know and I'll add whatever you think I owe.

Now there's no harm done.👍

I'll update the totals and post when I'm at home later.

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I didn't say there was no such bet. I said I didn't remember it.

I'll put a tenner in the pot and we'll call it sorted. However if you think it's more let me know and I'll add whatever you think I owe.

Now there's no harm done.👍

I'll update the totals and post when I'm at home later.

Not at all Nutty, I said there was a bet and not you. Here’s the deal, if I can’t find it I pay the £20 and everyone’s a winner. 

On 05/10/2020 at 07:37, Kenny Foggo said:

He spent what I said he did and the net spend is £289m not £75m. Admittedly half of Manchester City but still a huge amount of money and certainly not laughable net spend of £1m to then continue selling once relegated. https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/11-stats-on-how-liverpools-finances-have-changed-since-klopp-arrived/#:~:text=– While Liverpool's net transfer spend,lower than Chelsea's £414million.

It's not always about how much you spend but if you want to remain in the top flight and reap the rewards of all that brings, particularly in the current climate then it most certainly is. Being in a division that at the moment, does not make financial sense, with owners who have a net spend of zero is not a sensible place to be.

Eh? 🤔

Edited by Nuff Said

The PL is a spectacle, that's for sure. La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1... It's pretty boring compared to the PL. We already know that Real, Juventus, Bayern and PSG will be champions again.

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not at all Nutty, I said there was a bet and not you. Here’s the deal, if I can’t find it I pay the £20 and everyone’s a winner. 

It's done...

712906935_Signaturetotals-6thoct20.jpg.973eb4af8898f6d3adc3ca3fb933b840.jpg

I don't understand what you mean by £20. Is that what you think one of us owes?

If you want to send the other tenner you can. But the quicker this is cleared up the better.

***There's never any pressure on anyone to put money into Rays Funds. Taking part is free but most pay £10 each year. Because Rays Funds is active on the here we get all kinds of generous donations and pledges from incredible posters on this message board. So just taking part helps raise the money which we wouldn't get if we weren't here doing what we do. Hope that makes sense to all.

On 05/10/2020 at 05:15, The Real Buh said:

Liverpool lost wahey!!

Very pleasing to see both Man U & Liverpool get tonked, even in this sterile football atmosphere. Add in Chelsea in there for the next time along with three points back to the Carrow and job's a good un

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

It's done...

712906935_Signaturetotals-6thoct20.jpg.973eb4af8898f6d3adc3ca3fb933b840.jpg

I don't understand what you mean by £20. Is that what you think one of us owes?

If you want to send the other tenner you can. But the quicker this is cleared up the better.

***There's never any pressure on anyone to put money into Rays Funds. Taking part is free but most pay £10 each year. Because Rays Funds is active on the here we get all kinds of generous donations and pledges from incredible posters on this message board. So just taking part helps raise the money which we wouldn't get if we weren't here doing what we do. Hope that makes sense to all.

Whatever works for you, I’m happy to pay the full amount  if wrong, if you can’t wait for me to find It then PM a sort code and acc no you want the tenner going into. 

On 04/10/2020 at 20:06, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t actually rate Watkins that highly, having seen him tonnes for Brentford -Benrahma is the guy - but if you give him easy chances he’ll put them away.

I do,  and he was certainly very impressive against Liverpool.   His pace on the break was remarkable and finishing was obviously excellent.