A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Australia has just reversed its decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.  Great timing - it probably spells the end of Liz's plan to move the British Embassy from Tel Aviv.  Can anything else go wrong?

• Like 1

Why is this happening?  Brexit.  For ideological reasons the govt refuses to consider the one course of action that might help.

Even a faint signal that UK might consider rejoining the customs union and/or single market and/or EEA would be a start.  Not the EU though, because quite frankly they wouldn't let us in right now.  So much for the arrogant idiots who dreamed that the EU couldn't survive without us. Nigel Farage, where are you?  Let's be 'avin you.

• Like 3

She's bounced back. People bounce back.

What an odd day yesterday. Penny Mordaunt standing in for the UQs, Liz Truss apparently having some urgent business to attend to, then turning up to hear the chancellor's announcement, sitting there looking quite out of it, rumours of being unwell, on medication drugs, having been asked to resign etc. And then sometime after that having a perfectly normal (for Liz Truss) interview with Chris Mason wheres she seemed perfectly fine. All very odd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

Why is this happening?  Brexit.  For ideological reasons the govt refuses to consider the one course of action that might help.

Even a faint signal that UK might consider rejoining the customs union and/or single market and/or EEA would be a start.  Not the EU though, because quite frankly they wouldn't let us in right now.  So much for the arrogant idiots who dreamed that the EU couldn't survive without us. Nigel Farage, where are you?  Let's be 'avin you.

Not a single mention of the dreaded B word and until they confront the mess that particular elephant has caused, nothing will change. Pissing in the wind. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Herman said:

Cheers Sonyc. What a great thread too.👏

That tweet thread is a different way of looking at and understanding what we've been observing these last few years. I believe almost everyone realises we've not had typical Conservative administrations. Certainly not the last two. Not sure if you've watched the latest piece by Oborne? Quite eye-opening really. He talks about Truss a lot, her personality, her links to high finance and the hedge funders at Mayfair. A glimpse too into the potential future of the Tories. Maybe I've been far too innocent (which to be fair is a reasonable criticism to make of me because I trust others a lot) but this 9 minute clip really has hit home. It explains the lack of emotion, the (seemingly) narcissistic behaviours of some Tories, their sheer lack of compassion for others. To use a stupid Trussism, ' I get it'.

Even when she sacked people I'm reading reports about how she was inappropriate - giggling, laughing, looking at the floor etc. It's because she has very little emotional intelligence. You start to worry about her daughters of course and what kind of mother she is. But, maybe she is able to separate out her personal and business lives?

Anyway, as a PM she is spectacularly inept. The video is only 9 minutes (with rather tabloid like video short pieces interlacing it for brief moments) but it is so sharply edited so it flows well and is more compelling for that.

If what he says has some truth then it's quite a summary and an interesting glimpse forward. I recommend it especially to Tory voters (or former ones....and maybe this category will become huge). He paints Starmer too - again not so differently to the way others see him - almost like a more traditional Conservative. Which is why he really just needs to carry on being himself for huge swathes of the country and soak up those Tory votes! He is seen as safe, serious, boring and honest. Clearly a massive difference to what we've been seeing in our national life.

Edited by sonyc
Extra bit at the end
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hunt coming in as CoE is better news for the country in short term, but surely means Truss' days as PM are now numbered. At the end of the day, the budget U-turn has got to be one of the most embarrasing ever, and its still a nasty Tory budget which doesnt help the working man, or anyone who is struggling with Energy Bills and trying to make ends meet.

Ignoring all the noise, surely the Tories are going to get run over at the next election. I bet even the most "Tory cheerleading" of Political Commentators won't find a path to a 4th consecutive term for them.

• Like 3

Hmm. Relief rally ebbing and economic reality creeping back in again. Pound falling.

I also see Truss's cabinet and floozies are trying to circle the wagons and hope for her to stay. That's pure music to SKS.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Hmm. Relief rally ebbing and economic reality creeping back in again. Pound falling.

I also see Truss's cabinet and floozies are trying to circle the wagons and hope for her to stay. That's pure music to SKS.

Listening to Heapey first thing this morning, its no wonder the wagons are circling. The Cabinet agree 100% with the mini budget. Nobody said nay. So they are all culpable for what he described as a "mistake". You could see Burley actually wanted to say to him "Don't  you mean monumental fcukup?"

So many of the Cabinet will not be anywhere in sight if Sunak or Mourdant get the call.

5 hours ago, sonyc said:

Even when she sacked people I'm reading reports about how she was inappropriate - giggling, laughing, looking at the floor etc. It's because she has very little emotional intelligence. You start to worry about her daughters of course and what kind of mother she is. But, maybe she is able to separate out her personal and business lives?

I nearly met her in the 2019 UK General Election campaign. She was canvassing on my estate, which is quite rare as the Tories rarely bother. I'd just nipped to the shops so missed her by about 5 minutes, but my missus answered the door and told her it was a good job she knocked when I wasn't in. However, I saw her knocking at nearby houses and every time she knocked on the door she did so with her daughter in front of her, in a manner that appeared to me to be some sort of shield. I mean, taking your children canvassing is dodgy enough if you ask me, but to put them literally front and centre? I think you are right to have concerns in that department.

They've even managed to make mild mannered Mark Drakeford lose his temper. 😲

Edited by Herman

9 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

The weird thing is Trumpism ( or Boris or Farage bs ) is no longer believed by the majority of the U.K. When the vote was taken plenty took in true but misleading facts ( me included ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Liz Truss has arrived at a meeting of Tory MPs from the European Research Group (ERG) in Westminster.

The PM smiled at reporters as she arrived and table-banging was heard as she entered the room.

Conservatives seen going into the meeting include business secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg, former party leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith, and ERG chairman, former minister Mark Francois."

Where's Guy Fawkes when you need him ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

"Liz Truss has arrived at a meeting of Tory MPs from the European Research Group (ERG) in Westminster.

The PM smiled at reporters as she arrived and table-banging was heard as she entered the room.

Conservatives seen going into the meeting include business secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg, former party leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith, and ERG chairman, former minister Mark Francois."

Where's Guy Fawkes when you need him ?

What’s that classed as in the wild ‘ a herd of c**** ‘ maybe

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

That’s not a definite though, the economy being shut down for two years co-incided with it, then the war started when lockdowns were easing up, so it’s hard to tell.

I blame them lot at No.10 acting as if the country and its economy is some sort of politicians plaything.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

The weird thing is Trumpism ( or Boris or Farage bs ) is no longer believed by the majority of the U.K. When the vote was taken plenty took in true but misleading facts ( me included ).

… and three people I work with too, in their late 20s and early 30s, yet it was considered an “older generation” thing.

Just now, KernowCanary said:

… and three people I work with too, in their late 20s and early 30s, yet it was considered an “older generation” thing.

It correlated with age (and education) most certainly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

We have kids a lot older, but our 18 yr old questions regularly why the older generation thought this was a good idea.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

We have kids a lot older, but our 18 yr old questions regularly why the older generation thought this was a good idea.

Probably being selfish thinking “We’ve had our young lives and travelled free around Europe, let’s just vote leave and not care for the next generation”.

Albania are doing well and they are not in the EU and have no deal with it, San Marino is the same and has no national debt, so it’s not being in the EU that’s causing this mess, its this nutcase government.

Edited by KernowCanary

5 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

Probably being selfish thinking “We’ve had our young lives and travelled free around Europe, let’s just vote leave and not care for the next generation”.

Albania are doing well and they are not in the EU and have no deal with it, San Marino is the same and has no national debt, so it’s not being in the EU that’s causing this mess, its this nutcase government.

Carving ourselves away from the single market/customs union has been a massive crippler to our economy. This nutcase government is also a massive problem, as you say.

20 hours ago, dj11 said:

I think she is on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and as much as I despair at the chaos she has caused, I would not wish that on her. It actually might be time to lay off her, as the pressure must be horrendous. 

Disagree utterly. If her policies are atrocious, the press should be analysing, criticising - whatever.

Truss, quite simply, is not fit for purpose. Keep the pressure on.

At last something she is sticking to other than bankers bonuses and NI. I assume she will u turn when Hunt tells her later tonight ‘ I’m not having that ‘

Truss 'commits to increasing defence spending'

4c103344-c221-4117-8552-c919a61b6dc4.jpg

Iain Watson

Political correspondent

Following a half hour meeting between Liz Truss and the European Research Group (ERG) of Conservative MPs in Parliament this evening, sources in the room said the mood had been "very positive".

She was "robust" on issues close to their hearts, like Northern Ireland and defence.

The prime minister stood by the legislation on the Northern Ireland Protocol - though Downing Street sources added she wanted to see a negotiated solution as the preferred option.

And she stood by her commitment to increase defence spending to 3% of GDP by 2030 (a '"red line" for Defence Secretary Ben Wallace).

She was asked six questions, but none were about the ditching many of her tax policies.

However, Truss has told the ERG the changes she had made had been "painful".

Downing Street sources also say she expressed her "disappointment that she wasn't able to follow through on her tax cuts'", but remained committed to her growth agenda and "supply side reforms".

You couldn’t make it up

Boris Johnson aide 'helping out' Liz Truss

4c103344-c221-4117-8552-c919a61b6dc4.jpg

Iain Watson

Political correspondent

Liz Truss was accompanied this evening by Boris Johnson's former deputy chief of staff David Canzini. 

Downing Street sources say he is "helping out" in her political office as of today. 

He is credited with masterminding the ultimately unsuccessful task of keeping Johnson in No 10, but is seen by many as an accomplished strategist and political "grown-up".

41 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

It isn't about how we got into this so much as how we get out of it.

It will take more than rejoining the customs union, single market etc.  But Trussanomics was born out of an ideological refusal to even consider it.  That's the point.

Two Tory MPs say they will not vote to end triple lock

Adam Durbin

BBC News Live reporter

In a sign of potential trouble brewing ahead for the prime minister, two Tory MPs have declared they will not vote to end the triple lock on state pensions.

Writing on Twitter, Maria Caulfied says: "Pensioners should not be paying the price for the cost-of-living crisis whether caused by the war in Ukraine or mini-budgets."

As we've been reporting, Liz Truss's spokesman earlier refused to rule out sticking to the long-standing Conservative Party policy of annually lifting state pension payments by whichever is the highest out of:

• price rises (in the form of inflation)
  • the average growth of earnings 
  • 2.5% a year

Responding to Caulfield's post, fellow Conservative backbencher Steve Double also said he would not vote to go back on the pledge.

The guarantee has been in place ever since it was introduced under the Conservative/Liberal Democrat coalition, apart from a one-year suspension in 2021 over a Covid-driven spike in wage growth.

Committing to this policy was also included in the Conservative Party's 2019 general election manifesto.

Currently the inflation rate stands at around 10%, whilst the figure for average earnings is 5.4%.