Sign in to follow this  
Darth Vadis

20/21 Starting XI

So, if the Skipp and Quintilla deals come off, this is how I can see us starting the new season.

Obviously, Byram is injured for at least the start of the season so either Mumba will be stepping up or a new RB is brought in. This is on the assumption that Aarons is not here.

Think with the arrival of Skipp, that means our midfield is pretty much done (attacking and defending), although, maybe there is room for an Emi replacement. Man anyone? However, that deal seems to have gone quiet.

I have based these transfer fees on various sources and my own (un)educated guesses, so if anyone with better knowledge than me would like to correct then by all means...

Lastly, as has been said numerous times, a quality new CB that can step up to the prem is vital if Godfrey leaves. With the departures I have listed, we should very easily have the funds to get one in. I suppose the difficulty would be persuading them to come to the Championship (and wages).

Anyway, thought it'd be nice to have it all laid out noice n neat and obviously we've got ages until the window closes, but, what does everyone think of that XI? A title winning side? Playoffs?

D909EA47-D17A-4DA0-8E2F-57030B9D1BD9.jpeg

5E4CA416-095C-4568-B841-53E691600D45.jpeg

385A804C-04AF-4CF9-996C-0F9E5694DE0E.jpeg

You're probably not far out there. Those would be my predictions for the major outgoings, anyway.

I'd still like to see a new second keeper, a new right back as Byram's fitness is highly questionable and Mumba probably isn't ready to hold down a regular place, and another forward as Pukki and Idah won't be enough. I'd also prefer to have McCallum as competition for Quintilla (if he signs) so he could learn on the job, so to speak.

I'd also send Martin out on loan and consider cutting another midfielder as we're looking a bit top heavy in those areas.

People keep saying Drmic is leaving because he is surplus to requirements, is that actually a known fact from the club or just wishful thinking? I mean, I hope he is but I haven't seen it anywhere, have I missed it?

Edit, I also think (and hope) you're a mile out with all of those outgoings, but nobody knows.

Edited by All the Germans

If any of our crown jewels is most likely to go, I'd say it's Buendia. Whilst he was gash after the restart from the lockdown, he was an eminent creative influence in the Premiership in a struggling side and held his own statistically in terms of chance creation. I'd be rather surprised if a Premiership team didn't take a chance on him, but also be pleased as I strongly suspect Buendia - whilst temperamental - is one of those who can often take that frustration and channel it very effectively for some time. He's just a little prone to having a petulant moment now rather than again.

Besides, we've not got that many home-grown players so unless the understudy is well and truly nailed on to come, I doubt our home-grown ones will be sold unless it's an offer we cannot refuse. Could argue that McCallum and Mumba have been hauled in to that effect just in case.

Assuming Buendia goes and the rest stay, and also assuming a solid pre-season where no-one tears up the scene or screws up badly, this is what I suspect we'll see early on. If Buendia stays, then Dowell could replace Stiepermann or go to the bench, probably removing one of Hernandez or Placheta.

GK: Tim Krul.
LB: Jamal Lewis
RB: Max Aarons
CB: Ben Godfrey
CB: Christoph Zimmermann
DCM: Oliver Skipp
DCM: Alex Tettey
LW/LM: Todd Cantwell
CAM: Marco Stiepermann
RW/RM: Kieran Dowell
CF: Teemu Pukki

Subs: McGovern (GK), Klose, Rupp, Vrancic, Hernandez, Idah, Sorensen, Placheta

That team looks strong TGS, but of the five "jewels," it seems unlikely 4 will still be here in October. I don't think it would be too detrimental if we lost Lewis, Aarons & Cantwell but kept Buendia & Godfrey. 

McLean backup for Sorenson in one selection and completely left out of the other! I think he’ll be a regular in the side this season.

Krul

Aarons

Zimmerman

‘New Signing‘

Quintilla

Skipp

Mclean

Placheta 

Dowell

Buendia/Cantwell (one to go)

Pukki

I'm going to be optimistic.

Krul,

Aarons, Zim, Godfrey, McCallum

Skipp, McClean

Buendia, Dowell, Cantwell

Pukki

GK (NOT McGovern), Hanley, Rupp, Sorensen, Placheta, Hernandez, Idah

I've managed to leave out Klose, Byram, Vrancic, Stieperman & Tettey entirely with only Lewis sold.

Edited by All the Germans

Tim Krul 

Aarons   Hanley   Zimmermann  McCallum 

Vrancic  Skipp 

Dowell   Steipermann  Hernandez 

Pukki 

I'd be happy if we lined up with this. I think Vrancic is a must at Championship level, and essential to a possession based style. I hold hope Steipermann can return to form, and I'm quite excited by the prospect of McCallum so I'm hoping we don't decide to loan him out. 

I expect Rupp and certainly Mclean to be starting somewhere though. Mclean probably at the expense of Vrancic, sadly.  

It's important we try to maintain some experienced structure and not throw the likes of Sorenson and Placheta straight in. Steipermann, Hernandez and Pukki are proven to be devastating at this level. 

Sinani seems to be missing from any of those permutations. He was the first to sign so is imagine he will be involved

Krul

New RB Hanley Zimmerman Quintilla

Skipp Sorensen

Sinani Dowell Hernandez

Pukki

Subs

McLean Placheta Idah Macullum New Cf New Gk new ch

That's on the basis that our 5 crown jewels all go plus klose. Martin Sitti Gilmour I would imagine all out on loan with an option to recall. Sorensen is one of those players who can break forward so quickly to make it a 4 1 4 1

6 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Sinani seems to be missing from any of those permutations. He was the first to sign so is imagine he will be involved

It's a huge step up from what is basically amateur football (with a bit of Europa League thrown in) so I imagine he'll be given time to adapt rather than be thrown in at the deep end.

13 hours ago, paddycanary said:

That team looks strong TGS, but of the five "jewels," it seems unlikely 4 will still be here in October. I don't think it would be too detrimental if we lost Lewis, Aarons & Cantwell but kept Buendia & Godfrey. 

In terms of ability and potential understudies, Lewis is the one who IMO, we can most readily lose although Byram's injury will put pressure on McCallum to hit the deck running, or indeed the Spanish lad if he does come. I've said before that I think the four home-grown ones may be kept a little longer just to make sure we have a suitable contingent of those players.

@canarycop wondered about Sinani but IIRC he was signed as his contract was running out but not yet expired, so he won't have trained much with the rest of the team yet and got used to how they all play. As @Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said, it's a fair step up from the Luxembourg Premier League (which, as a guess, is probably about the standard of the German regional leagues for the most part, although Dudelange are a pro outfit and could well be a top 3. Bundesliga side / weak 2. Bundesliga side at their very best).

I'm also thinking Rupp will look pretty decent this season now he's had a bit of time with the team and is not in a fraught battle in a side struggling for confidence. There's definitely a good player in there, but he looked like a typical January signing - out of sync with his team-mates and somewhat ineffective as a result. His off-the-ball movement and workrate will certainly be useful in the Championship.

Got to say I'm quite baffled by this Quintilla/McCallum talk.

Don't get why we'd sign a highly rated young left back only to loan him out and then loan another one in. 

For the first time in a very long time i am totally confused as to who will start the season in the first X1 although i have a funny feeling that given our willingness and record of giving youth a chance 2 or 3 youngsters may well break through by the end of the season. There is still so much time for people to leave and join the club that anything can happen. We have a whole host of promising youngsters waiting in the wings which ones will take their chance and in which positions will be very interesting and exciting, probably there will be a few surprises

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Got to say I'm quite baffled by this Quintilla/McCallum talk.

Don't get why we'd sign a highly rated young left back only to loan him out and then loan another one in. 

Guess it is due to how ready they think McCallum is would be a big gamble to have him first choice with only Heise as back up. Quintilla is experienced and probably more ready to be dropped in and played. Quintialla is coming on loan, so if he just sits behind Lewis all season (or even McCallum if he proves himself) then there is no great loss. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Guess it is due to how ready they think McCallum is would be a big gamble to have him first choice with only Heise as back up. Quintilla is experienced and probably more ready to be dropped in and played. Quintialla is coming on loan, so if he just sits behind Lewis all season (or even McCallum if he proves himself) then there is no great loss. 

I still don't really get the plan to be honest.

Quintilla is 23 and we apparently have to sign him if we go up.

Right now we have three left backs, all under the age of 24, all of whom will want to be first choice. If we don't sell Lewis then we've just loaned in a backup which feels a waste. If we do sell him..why not give the player we spent a decent sized fee on the chance to establish himself as first choice? 

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

I still don't really get the plan to be honest.

Quintilla is 23 and we apparently have to sign him if we go up.

Right now we have three left backs, all under the age of 24, all of whom will want to be first choice. If we don't sell Lewis then we've just loaned in a backup which feels a waste. If we do sell him..why not give the player we spent a decent sized fee on the chance to establish himself as first choice? 

If McCallum isn’t ready it doesn’t matter how much was spent on him. The fee wasn’t that big really - about £1m up front with another £2.5m in add ons (including one related to him getting an England cap). Webber talked about this in one of interviews he gave last season I think. 

While there is an agreement with Villareal that Norwich will sign Quintilla should the club get promoted, the player would still need to agree to that at the time. If he doesn’t play he probably won’t agree to it (if he’s that worried about first team football). 

Lewis’ replacement is in the building before he is sold - like the club have said they will do all along. If Lewis isn’t sold then McCallum will go on loan to ensure he plays. If Lewis doesn’t go then no one is going to get much of a look in at left back, loaning Quintilla avoids another Heise situation (which the club have managed pretty well securing him loans, but it could have been worse if the player was more difficult). 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

55 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If McCallum isn’t ready it doesn’t matter how much was spent on him. The fee wasn’t that big really - about £1m up front with another £2.5m in add ons (including one related to him getting an England cap). Webber talked about this in one of interviews he gave last season I think. 

While there is an agreement with Villareal that Norwich will sign Quintilla should the club get promoted, the player would still need to agree to that at the time. If he doesn’t play he probably won’t agree to it (if he’s that worried about first team football). 

Lewis’ replacement is in the building before he is sold - like the club have said they will do all along. If Lewis isn’t sold then McCallum will go on loan to ensure he plays. If Lewis doesn’t go then no one is going to get much of a look in at left back, loaning Quintilla avoids another Heise situation (which the club have managed pretty well securing him loans, but it could have been worse if the player was more difficult). 

Could this put us in a Naismith type situation? If Quintilla doesn't play and then is happy to stay. 

Last season Franke said he wanted to stay and fight for his place. A few years earlier there was a Scottish full back who, having not taken part in the promotion, would have been happy to stay just for the Prem wages. 

Can we get out of the purchase? 

7 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Could this put us in a Naismith type situation? If Quintilla doesn't play and then is happy to stay. 

Last season Franke said he wanted to stay and fight for his place. A few years earlier there was a Scottish full back who, having not taken part in the promotion, would have been happy to stay just for the Prem wages. 

Can we get out of the purchase? 

The club have reported it as saying they have an option. Which is different to an obligation.

Even with an obligation you can pretty easily lean on a player and say ‘you aren’t going to play, it’s better if you go back to your parent club and look for another deal elsewhere’. 

Franke said he wanted to stay, but was sold pretty quickly. Naismith didn’t want to stay, but no one could match his wages. As long as you aren’t agreeing to a contract that is considerably above a players value then you should be able to move them on - especially if they are below 26/27. 

I think we need some pace in the side so whilst i think a three of Emi, Dowell and Cantwell is potentially attractive I can;t see us doing that too often. Looking at the teams people have laid out it would seem to suggest that we are in a position where we can seel one of Emi or Todd without it having too disastrous and impact because the team actually looks like it could be better balanced with Onel or Placheta in one of the wide positions. If I had to bet on any departures, therefore, it would be Lewis and one of those two going out the door this summer. I think with the lack of speculation and Byram's injury we may be tempted to hold on to Max and see how we are doing in January. If we are on for promotion he will probable stay anyway, he's certainly not making any public noises about leaving, quite the contrary.

We have lots of options, that's for sure, but Farke's general lack of willingness to change a winning line up and/or rotate the squad makes me a little concerned as to how he can keep everyone happy. 

Krul

Aarons Godfrey Zimmerman Quintilla

Skipp Tettey/Sorenson

Buendia Dowell Hernandez

Pukki

Maclean will start if he is here and fit - I think Farke has made that pretty clear. 

I think the same is true of Krul, Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis, Buendia, Pukki and Cantwell. So, at the moment, there are only 3 spaces in the first 11. I think they would go to Zimmermann, Skipp and Hernandez at the moment.

But everything will change before we start.....

18 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's a huge step up from what is basically amateur football (with a bit of Europa League thrown in) so I imagine he'll be given time to adapt rather than be thrown in at the deep end.

Sinani is the wild card here really isn't he. I very much liked what i saw in the youtube footage of him but then you always have to be wary of the Julian Brellier effect! 

I think he will either turn out to be a complete dud or a masterstroke. 

5 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Maclean will start if he is here and fit - I think Farke has made that pretty clear. 

I think the same is true of Krul, Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis, Buendia, Pukki and Cantwell. So, at the moment, there are only 3 spaces in the first 11. I think they would go to Zimmermann, Skipp and Hernandez at the moment.

But everything will change before we start.....

McClean really, really shouldn't do although obviously they all (including him) should be given a fair crack of the whip and selected on merit. I like him but thought he was pretty fortunate to keep his place in the side during the promotion run in where a few big goals masked some fairly underwhelming general performances. I don't really see the point in bringing in Skipp and Sorenson if you are then just going to start Kenny every week.