Herman

Nature watch.

9 hours ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

Short eared owl I photographed at St Benet’s Abbey near Ludham. Also saw some at Winterton a few weeks ago.

63DB29B2-A2FE-46AE-AA48-41D63CADE021.jpeg

Great photo mate. We were lucky enough to see them at Winterton a few weeks back, we think there was 5, possibly more, displaying really well. My little 300mm zoom lens couldn't do them justice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Great photo mate. We were lucky enough to see them at Winterton a few weeks back, we think there was 5, possibly more, displaying really well. My little 300mm zoom lens couldn't do them justice.

That’s cropped from a 600mm. Not lucky enough to capture any in flight but great to see four or five of them flying amongst the Winterton dunes at the end of January.

• Like 1

Just seen four Grey Wagtails, two of which were pecking and crapping on the wing mirrors of my car (the little f*ckers). 🤣

Apples

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw my first indigenous Raven in Cornwall today. Sitting on a fence where Mrs KG keeps her horse. It was as big as a buzzard. And not too fussed about me either. Kept an eye out for my little dog.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 2

My (?) Hedgehogs been out and about for a week or so now. Got them on camera at night - they’re still really dopey at the moment. I still find the whole concept of hibernation a bloody miracle.  
Newts back in pond , counted about 15 last night. They’re ahead of the game this year it seems to me. 
Some cherry  blossom out , main show getting into bursting bud . 
Give it a couple of weeks and I’ll start looking out for the Swifts. Absolute highlight on my calendar. 
We’re on the cusp of a wonderful time of the year . Enjoy fellow Nature Watchers ! 

• Like 2

On 15/03/2022 at 13:39, Mr Apples said:

Just seen four Grey Wagtails, two of which were pecking and crapping on the wing mirrors of my car (the little f*ckers). 🤣

Apples

I read this last week and meant to say you are lucky. I think the Grey W's are a lot rarer these days. We tend to get the Pied version in West Yorkshire. But I can imagine seeing these sort of makes the day.

Another bird that seems rarer is the Song Thrush. And it was this tweet (pardon the pun😏) that reminded me of your Wagtail post. Such a fantastic sound to hear! One minute of 'sonic' bliss.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 5

Just back from a couple of days hiking in the Yorkshire Dales. Beautiful countryside with some great mates.

Wildlife highlight were a pair of goosander on the canal at the back of the hotel, a dipper and great wagtail on the river near Grassington, a lovely toad warming itself in the sun, and a very random little owl hopping about on a high crag on our Malham Cove walk (which was pretty spectacular).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Just back from a couple of days hiking in the Yorkshire Dales. Beautiful countryside with some great mates.

Wildlife highlight were a pair of goosander on the canal at the back of the hotel, a dipper and great wagtail on the river near Grassington, a lovely toad warming itself in the sun, and a very random little owl hopping about on a high crag on our Malham Cove walk (which was pretty spectacular).

Nice one 👍. Went for a long walk ending in Grassington a couple of weeks ago. Saw a little dipper too then. Think there's a lot along most of the Wharfedale valley.

A friend works (very part time) at the visitor centre at Malham Cove. Says it's the best office he's ever worked at🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Nice one 👍. Went for a long walk ending in Grassington a couple of weeks ago. Saw a little dipper too then. Think there's a lot along most of the Wharfedale valley.

A friend works (very part time) at the visitor centre at Malham Cove. Says it's the best office he's ever worked at🙂

Nice 👍

16 hours ago, sonyc said:

I read this last week and meant to say you are lucky. I think the Grey W's are a lot rarer these days.

The Grey Wagtails are a weird one, they are here every year (usually a pair) but only for a couple of days and never see them again until next year!

The first Yellowhammers have arrived the Geese and Fieldfares have been flocking up to return north.

Apples

• Like 1

Sorry about this guys, but I have sad news for all the bird lovers on this thread 

Birds aren't real

All the birds in the USA were subject to genocide several decades ago. They were replaced with surveillance drones  in order to monitor the population 😟

What has happened there, will happen in the UK and everywhere! Wake up and smell the coffee!

😁

• Haha 2

Them there Mason Bees....Do you think they have a secret leg shake and have to perform an initiation ritual and other stuff?....

• Haha 1

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/seals-dangerously-harassed-by-jet-skiers-while-resting-close-to-shoreline-volunteers-say/ar-AAWStdS?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=36902b424132484cb438f341e495facf

Seals 'dangerously harassed' by jet skiers while resting close to shoreline, volunteers say

There are few places left in this country where you can escape to enjoy genuine peace and quiet immersed in nature without the roar of engines and modern industrial life. The wonderful Norfolk coastline remains one of those sanctuaries. Until, of course, some selfish *** turns up on a jet ski. Time to ban these infernal contraptions from within 2 miles of any beach (speed boats too). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Heard the first Cuckoo of the spring today. 🤪😎

Apples

As the old saying goes,

"Cuckoo on third of May,

Norwich to win away."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

As the old saying goes,

"Cuckoo on third of May,

Norwich to win away."

Cloud cuckoo land!!!

• Haha 2

Swifts are back !! Watching at least a dozen in the sky above me . Just had one go in under the tiles. Little marvels !! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Swifts are back !! Watching at least a dozen in the sky above me . Just had one go in under the tiles. Little marvels !! 

I've seen lots of reports of sightings, but not seen any over here yet. (Belton, Yarmouth)

*Great news about checking out nest sites, is that normal for you?

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

7 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I've seen lots of reports of sightings, but not seen any over here yet. (Belton, Yarmouth)

*Great news about checking out nest sites, is that normal for you?

Been looking for them each morning and after work for a while now , nothing today until an hour ago . I’m near Surlingham. 
Last year I had three pairs nesting under the tiles. I know exactly which tiles and the swift  tonight went straight back in under one of them . Fingers crossed the others return as well. I put a swift box up right next to them a few years ago , which of course they avoid ! 

Just now, Pockthorpe said:

Been looking for them each morning and after work for a while now , nothing today until an hour ago . I’m near Surlingham. 
Last year I had three pairs nesting under the tiles. I know exactly which tiles and the swift  tonight went straight back in under one of them . Fingers crossed the others return as well. I put a swift box up right next to them a few years ago , which of course they avoid ! 

Brilliant!

House Martins have arrived in Mulbarton. I've been recording their arrival for 8 years and they're never more than 5 days out. Seems to be more this year after a drop in numbers last year. 

I've got a new camera but they're impossible to photograph. I did get a Robin though. Not brilliant but it made me happy. Screenshot_20220510-204501_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.28c999b3d20673c9c9b9900147fefa64.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

I lived in The Street in Surlingham for many years. Swallows used to nest in the barn in the house opposite. When the owner became very ill she asked me to tell the new owners of the house to open the barn door in April. 

A family with a little boy moved in and he knocked on my door every night to provide an update. He had numerous theories about how they flew to the right place all the way from Africa. 

The most interesting thing was watching them gather together to fly back. I now have the same in Mulbarton with House Martins and they congregate on the roof of one house prior to leaving. They're there for a couple of days and the roof is a mess when they go. 

• Like 1