Herman

Nature watch.

Saw a Beluga whale, bearded seals, and walruses a few days ago on Svalbard. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my shonky camera "skills" - my aiming and firing is like Kenny McLean from 25 yards out.

• Like 2

Sod it, here's the gallery on FB. A few selfies in there, some shots of Svalbard from the plane before coming in to land, a lot of odd shots of me just observing stuff, about 35 from a boat sailing around on an Arctic safari, and a trip to the North Pole Exhibition Museum. Race shots haven't turned up yet, I hope the cameraman didn't catch me sticking two fingers up to the sky after yet another hurricane-force gust of wind crashed into our faces...

Facebook

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jackdaws, thousands of 'em!!!!

Put some food out for the birds, jackdaws swooped and took the lot in about a minute.🤨

A few photos here from the dog walk - quite a Victorian vibe on this planted drive leading up to an old house.

Iris, Hosta's, Alium (?), Rhododendron I think.

IMG_20220607_170846.jpg

IMG_20220607_182243.jpg

IMG_20220607_175722.jpg

IMG_20220607_182218.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

A few photos here from the dog walk - quite a Victorian vibe on this planted drive leading up to an old house.

Iris, Alium (?), Rhododendron I think.

IMG_20220607_170846.jpg

IMG_20220607_182243.jpg

IMG_20220607_175722.jpg

IMG_20220607_182218.jpg

Very nice. Everywhere still nice and green.

Is this local?

• Like 1

Me and a mate have been walking Angles Way sporadically over the last year or so. We're enthusiastic amateur twitchers, and there really hasn't been much to get excited about on that score.

Two stages left to do, tomorrow Redgrave to Scole and then later on Oulton Broad to Burgh Castle. It's not the prettiest walk but it's been a nice little side project.

*We had a little jaunt to Minsmere last week,  loads of gulls and terns (no littles yet, but I see they're arriving at Winterton) and the bitterns were very obliging, from the same hide a spectacular hobby was doing its stuff. A fantastic little falcon.

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Very nice. Everywhere still nice and green.

Is this local?

Yes, literally on the door step (in the middle of moving and downsizing as our lads have left). Very, very green. 

As for the Angles Way I did a small 7 mile section last year for the first time. I loved the 'feel' of it. I felt I was walking in the footsteps of people one or two hundred years ago (my Norfolk & north Suffolk ancestors definitely). Such an atmosphere. I know where I live is too (ancient stonework everywhere) but that still doesn't stop making me jealous of being along the Waveney Valley. May still yet pack up my northern sojourn and move back. Or Wales... or Ireland😅

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Just now, sonyc said:

Yes, literally on the door step (in the middle of moving and downsizing as our lads have left). Very, very green. 

As for the Angles Way I did a small 7 mile section last year for the first time. I loved the 'feel' of it. I felt I was walking in the footsteps of people one or two hundred years ago (my Norfolk & north Suffolk ancestors definitely). Such an atmosphere. I know where I live is too (ancient stonework everywhere) but that still doesn't make me jealous of being along the Waveney Valley. May still yet pack up my northern sojourn and move back. Or Wales... or Ireland😅

Yes there is something ancient and atmospheric about it. I can image the merchants plying their trade and carrying their wares.

Never seen a baby Swift before. Amazing to see one so young and close up. In those big eyes and neat bill (let alone the sheer speed they manage) you can understand how insects stand little chance!

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 4

Now in Cyprus, Lara Bay, breeding ground for loggerhead and green turtles, sometimes I find it hard not to despair!

2DB51323-17B9-410C-B77C-4DC5162ED4E4.jpeg

Edited by Van wink
Unable to load piccis
  • Like 1

Speaking of nature, Svartufoss waterfall was about a kilometre away from the holiday apartment. Not sure how many of you have been to the Faroes, but if you're there, the little nature reserve in Hoyvik is a relaxing, if hilly place for a nice amble.

IMG_20220611_185447_421.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Speaking of nature, Svartufoss waterfall was about a kilometre away from the holiday apartment. Not sure how many of you have been to the Faroes, but if you're there, the little nature reserve in Hoyvik is a relaxing, if hilly place for a nice amble.

IMG_20220611_185447_421.jpg

The Faroes are lovely, I might try and nip over this year myself for a few days. I have nothing else planned apart from a couple of trips to the UK 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The Faroes are lovely, I might try and nip over this year myself for a few days. I have nothing else planned apart from a couple of trips to the UK 

Just been on a day trip around the southernmost island, Suðuroy. Just.... wow. 

Beinisvord was absolutely breath-taking. We got lucky with sunny conditions early on and made a break for it after docking, and nailed the timing to perfection.

Second time for me in the Faroes. Definitely won't be the last.

• Like 2

On 15/06/2022 at 17:34, Van wink said:

6780F3AA-0BBE-453F-A726-ECAE5201C6CE.jpeg

I’ve been to Lara Bay a few times , not for years though now. The Akamas is a special place. Have a great time Van wink. 

• Thanks 1

I live in the centre of Norwich.  There's a bat colony somewhere nearby, and each evening at twilight, all year round, from the window of my second floor flat I'm treated to an aerobatic display which makes the Red Arrows look pedestrian.  Wonderful.

• Like 7

On 16/06/2022 at 21:16, Yellow Fever said:

The local fauna - Trimmingham (from the EDP). Bee Eaters.

Wow.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/bee-eaters-birds-colony-north-norfolk-coast-9041938

Bee Eater.png

Absolutely beautiful birds. I was lucky enough to see the 9 that pitched up at Gt Yarmouth last year.

Not only that, but we're off to lunch with friends who live at Trimingham tomorrow and I'll definitely taking a little walk up the road to have a look 😁

• Like 4

What a lovely evening . 

Sitting outside enjoying a few glasses and been watching Bank Voles on my patio. First time I’ve seen them this year , didn’t think they’d made it through the winter. They’ve got a lovely reddish hue to their fur and a tail about half the length of their body. There’s two of them so fingers crossed the dynasty continues ! 

• Like 7

I probably don't need to point this out, but isn't it interesting that the Nature thread is the one thread on this site that seems to unite people irrespective of political differences. 

• Like 3

Red Kites seem to be doing really well now in North Norfolk. Saw lots in my trip around the coast today.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I probably don't need to point this out, but isn't it interesting that the Nature thread is the one thread on this site that seems to unite people irrespective of political differences. 

Well, we're a long time dead H so in the grand scheme of things it's just worth enjoying what is about. 

Anyway, strictly back on track (the trail) I was excited to see a Eurasian Black Cap this afternoon (I'm in France for a few days). It has such sharp and really quick movements and I must have spent a good10 minutes watching it in a hedgerow full of insects about 10 metres away. Very slightly larger than a sparrow but a beautiful pale grey (male).

Photo was not great so I've just used a Googled one. Though the hedge is faithful and image very similar!

IMG_20220621_225405.jpg

• Like 6