Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

34 minutes ago, Borman said:

Government now advising that home made face coverings be worn if entering enclosed spaces.

Bill wont like this!

5 hours ago, Bill said:

and that is one example that highlights the absurdity of what he spouted - as the very nature of the game means players are distanced - and by its nature will know each other so will abide by guidance

otherwise the £160,000 was in reference to

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-tennis-russian-billionaire-putin-minister-tory-donation-a8261871.html

Further to my annoyance about not being able to practice singles tennis with say, one member outside my household, the 60-page government document suggests I actually can, which doesn't help with this lack of clarity rubbish:

People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis. You will still not be able to use areas like playgrounds, outdoor gyms or ticketed outdoor leisure venues, where there is a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces. You can only exercise with up to one person from outside your household – this means you should not play team sports, except with members of your own household.

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

My view of the current government (or some of the cabinet perhaps I might say, to be fair) is that we appear to have people who are capable of the broad brush but less the detail, the sober analysis, the forensics.

They say a week's a long time in politics, but the circumstances are certainly very different from six months ago, and even three months ago.

In December, Boris had won an 80 seat majority after purging Phil Hammond, Amber Rudd, Justine Greening, David Gauke etc, removing Jeremy Hunt from cabinet (wouldn't accept a lesser position) and appointing people on their Brexit views.

We've got a situation where the PM, Chancellor, Home, Foreign and Education Secretaries haven't been in their positions for a year yet, and Matt Hancock is unlikely to complete two years as Health Secretary. Sadly this has all come at a time when we needed experience more than ever.

In February Private Eye ran this cover after the reshuffle

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

So Garden Centers can open from Wednesday - Must have added that overnight after all the furore! What else will have changed / added or been 'clarified' from Johnson's latest car-crash.

I might just make it out of this disaster in one piece. 

1 minute ago, Icecream Snow said:

They say a week's a long time in politics, but the circumstances are certainly very different from six months ago, and even three months ago.

In December, Boris had won an 80 seat majority after purging Phil Hammond, Amber Rudd, Justine Greening, David Gauke etc, removing Jeremy Hunt from cabinet (wouldn't accept a lesser position) and appointing people on their Brexit views.

We've got a situation where the PM, Chancellor, Home, Foreign and Education Secretaries haven't been in their positions for a year yet, and Matt Hancock is unlikely to complete two years as Health Secretary. Sadly this has all come at a time when we needed experience more than ever.

How come they're allowed haircuts and perms?.....

Just now, Herman said:

I might just make it out of this disaster in one piece. 

I was quoting a piece today in Horticulture Weekly claiming it was official and in this document  - I'm yet to see it noted formally so hold those green fingers!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Bill wont like this!

I actually think it's fairly sensible, even if the science is not completely agreed

9 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

I couldn't have seen myself type this before this pandemic but I would welcome a Gauke, Rudd, Hammond or a Greening about. I'm serious too.

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I couldn't have seen myself type this before this pandemic but I would welcome a Gauke, Rudd, Hammond or a Greening about. I'm serious too.

Which one was the Northern Ireland Secretary sacked for doing a good job, but having a brain, or was that someone else?

A list.

There will be a limited number of things you can do on Wednesday that you cannot do now:

• spend time outdoors – for example sitting and enjoying the fresh air, picnicking, or sunbathing
  • meet one other person from a different household outdoors - following social distancing guidelines
  • exercise outdoors as often as you wish - following social distancing guidelines
  • use outdoor sports courts or facilities, such as a tennis or basketball court, or golf course – with members of your household, or one other person while staying 2 metres apart
  • go to a garden centre

At all times, should continue to observe social distancing guidelines when you are outside your home, including ensuring you are 2 metres away from anyone outside your household. As with before, you cannot:

• visit friends and family in their homes
  • exercise in an indoor sports court, gym or leisure centre, or go swimming in a public pool
  • use an outdoor gym or playground
  • visit a private or ticketed attraction
  • gather in a group of more than two (excluding members of your own household), except for a few specific exceptions set out in law (for work, funerals, house moves, supporting the vulnerable, in emergencies and to fulfil legal obligations)

If you are showing coronavirus symptoms, or if you or any of your household are self-isolating, you should stay at home - this is critical to staying safe and saving lives.

1 minute ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Which one was the Northern Ireland Secretary sacked for doing a good job, but having a brain, or was that someone else?

That was Julian Smith. Highly respected, capable and liked by parties in NI for his commitment and ease of working alongside. A reasonable adult type.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

approaching a spike ?

is that anything like a rise or increase ?

Nearly, it suggests a rapid rise or a rapid increase - probably easier to say spike.

You cannot

meet one other person from a different household outdoors

gather in a group of more than two (excluding members of your own household), except for a few specific exceptions set out in law (for work, funerals, house moves, supporting the vulnerable, in emergencies and to fulfil legal obligations)

Confused or what. I cannot play Golf unless its solo or with a family member from the same household. But I am allowed to meet in a group of two outside the home.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well someone has to say it.

If this had been Corbyn and Labour, there would have been an outcry of biblical proportions. This idiot is getting off lightly. He is a court jester, the one who joked in class but failed all his exams. And he is making the greatest mess of this country since the Vikings invaded.

Apparently he has taken to blaming Hancock. Yet hasn't the nerve to face the public.

And people voted in this fool to negotiate Brexit trade agreements.

Once again you show your hard left hatred of the government. Had he introduced a hard lockdown on day one you would have been on here decrying the blatant infringement of human rights and democracy and calling the PM a ****. 

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You cannot

gather in a group of more than two (excluding members of your own household), except for a few specific exceptions set out in law (for work, funerals, house moves, supporting the vulnerable, in emergencies and to fulfil legal obligations)

Confused or what. I cannot play Golf unless its solo or with a family member from the same household. But I am allowed to meet in a group of two outside the home.

As I read it from Wednesday, you can meet with one other person from a different household and even play golf with them if you so wish.

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You cannot

Shouldn't be confusing. We are in a state between full lockdown and complete openness, or in other words partial lockdown. Or if you prefer limited openness.

• Haha 1

Once again you show your hard left hatred of the government. Had he introduced a hard lockdown on day one you would have been on here decrying the blatant infringement of human rights and democracy and calling the PM a ****. 

It is hard right people like you who will not accept that he has made a real mess of it all. I may be on the left but I gave him credit for the attempt at financial aid. I doubt you would have anything good to say if he shoe was on the other foot, If you had read many of my initial posts #, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But the Government has had months to get it somewhere right, not completely obviously. And they haven't.

And I am one who supported hard lock down from the start. I am not consumed by money and the City. I am more concerned for my fellow mans predicament. If the Government has to borrow another £50 billion then so be it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Many of us both left and right wanted a hard lockdown several weeks earlier! Its not a left or right issue but simply a question of competence. I don't think brexit was a left right issue either.

3 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Spanish flu H1N1 never died out, it just mutated into something less destructive and has lurked in the background ever since. H1N1 is the Swine flu that came back in 2009

Luckily  i understand that in 2009 a lot of people of an age at which their immune system had started to really struggle with new viruses had seen H1N1 before and knew how to defeat it. 

We are probably lucky swine flu wasnt a completely new disease as I am not sure I recall us doing very much at all to stop it

The 2009 version of H1N1 was a new strain. It never reached Europe in any strength and didn't transmit much beyond immediate contact - but 250,000 odd deaths resulted, maybe more, mostly in Africa and Asia, which is probably why no one in Europe seems to have ever heard of it.

Interesting article from December 2018 though https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/spanish-flu-pandemic-return-100-years-doctor-gp-2018-a8547316.html

As I read it from Wednesday, you can meet with one other person from a different household and even play golf with them if you so wish.

You would have thought so. But the specifics about Golf are on your own or with a household member.
By the way. The bad weather never arrived. It is cooler but bright sunshine. Bit like living in an Alpine country in Spring today.
So what do you reckon the EPL meeting will come up with today?

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You would have thought so. But the specifics about Golf are on your own or with a household member.
By the way. The bad weather never arrived. It is cooler but bright sunshine. Bit like living in an Alpine country in Spring today.

Ever more long grass - probably smoking it.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

This whole situation has been a god send for the nationalist cause in these countries. they have been able to differentiate themselves subtly from Westminster throughout the process and present themselves as the "leaders" of their nations. Sturgeon has deliberately held her press conferences slightly earlier than Westminster and been able to steal a march/undermine the government slightly at every opportunity even if in substance she is not actually doing much different to the UK wide approach. I think that once we come out of this it will have really strengthened their position as a lot of people in Scotland and Wales will be thinking that the devolved administrations have been more competent than the government and the English ministers running the show are a bunch of chumps.

Do you think Sturgeon’s deliberate attempts to undermine the government on this issue is going to make Boris give permission for an independence referendum? 
Personally I would have no problem with Scotland going it alone. No more Scottish constituency MPs in Westminster, an end to English taxpayers subsidising Scottish government spending, move the Faislane naval base to Barrow giving employment and local economy boosts to a deprived area, reduce national debt by the Scottish government picking up the tab for its share and no underwriting of Scottish debt by the Bank of England. That’s why most Scots won’t vote for independence as they are canny and know which side their bread is buttered.

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Bright but very cool in NR 2.

While the money still dangles in front of them the EPL will continue to  cling to the restart programme. The time factor may bite them in the ar$e.

Edited by ricardo

And don't get my political leanings mixed up with personal ones Crafty. I reckon Boris would be a hoot to go out drinking with. I just don't like his politics.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

This whole situation has been a god send for the nationalist cause in these countries. they have been able to differentiate themselves subtly from Westminster throughout the process and present themselves as the "leaders" of their nations. Sturgeon has deliberately held her press conferences slightly earlier than Westminster and been able to steal a march/undermine the government slightly at every opportunity even if in substance she is not actually doing much different to the UK wide approach. I think that once we come out of this it will have really strengthened their position as a lot of people in Scotland and Wales will be thinking that the devolved administrations have been more competent than the government and the English ministers running the show are a bunch of chumps.

Yep

Reckon if you asked the Scots now if they want Independence the % would be enormous in favour. If Boris way fails then he will be in serious trouble, yesterday no masks today masks is yet another contradiction. The Scottish leader guy just said we listen to the same scientific advice in the same meetings and your way is not our understanding of what they said.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

• use outdoor sports courts or facilities, such as a tennis or basketball court, or golf course – with members of your household, or one other person while staying 2 metres apart
  •  

Sturgeon cares about her country and people, that is obvious. 

Johnson???