Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

I damn hope we are ahead of this thing. It’s been going on for two years come March and the overreactions governments have made towards it, are messing up our lives while the English government laughs at people having to follow the rules.

When I first heard of this, I was hopeful it wouldn’t go pandemic because Ebola, SARS and MERS didn’t, but for some reason this one did. The other half knew it would go pandemic as soon as she saw it on the television news.

6 hours ago, Van wink said:

Molnupiravir?

we did the trials for that for Merck 😊 can't say I was involved personally but still...

It's an antiviral which needs to be taken in the first few days of symptom onset. Supposedly can cut the severe illness chances by half.

Pfizer have an antiviral too which looks to be even more effective but there isn't the capacity for widespread usage.

Hopefully there are more effective antivirals and treatments in the pipeline but it's a decent start. All I can say is we're pretty bloody busy early next year!

Hopefully the next variant has to attack even further up the respiratory system. Sure Omicron isn't as effective as getting the lungs which is amazing but getting bronchial infection isnt exactly ideal either. Seems that well timed LFTs are even more useful than before now seeing how quickly viral loads peak.

Best thing we can realistically do is get boosted, wear a mask in appropriate settings, lft just before meeting vulnerable people or lots of people and ventilate spaces where possible. Just think about the age and condition of the people you interact with and act accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.jpeg.4ae9ca716d39e20c0a1acbf72038029f.jpeg

When are we going to do something about these tinpot dictators in the Valleys and highlands? Wales bringing in £60 fines for people that “work away from home unnecessarily” who decides that? Who can define that? Sturgeon getting pelters for clearly playing politics with pointlessly cancelling new year celebrations.

Look, I’m not saying smear campaigns are the way to go but look at this guy. Look at Mark Drakford. Are you telling me this guy doesn’t have a skeleton in his closet? Look at the state of him.

At some point we are going to have to do something about it because they’ve got very used to getting to doing press conferences and pretending they run a country now. It’ll be 10 years from now and they’ll be going “somebody had a sniffle so I’m shutting all the ASDAs, Tescos is fine though”

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

we did the trials for that for Merck 😊 can't say I was involved personally but still...

It's an antiviral which needs to be taken in the first few days of symptom onset. Supposedly can cut the severe illness chances by half.

Pfizer have an antiviral too which looks to be even more effective but there isn't the capacity for widespread usage.

Hopefully there are more effective antivirals and treatments in the pipeline but it's a decent start. All I can say is we're pretty bloody busy early next year!

Hopefully the next variant has to attack even further up the respiratory system. Sure Omicron isn't as effective as getting the lungs which is amazing but getting bronchial infection isnt exactly ideal either. Seems that well timed LFTs are even more useful than before now seeing how quickly viral loads peak.

Best thing we can realistically do is get boosted, wear a mask in appropriate settings, lft just before meeting vulnerable people or lots of people and ventilate spaces where possible. Just think about the age and condition of the people you interact with and act accordingly.

Thanks, anti virals are pretty thin on the ground aren’t they, hopefully all this work will have spin off’s for wider medicine. 
The tendency for Omicron to attack higher up the respiratory tract with associated high viral load must be an important factor in it’s high infectivity, but as you say avoiding attacks on deep seated lung tissue is a big bonus and again might be one of the factors that seemingly makes hospitalisation  less likely for some.
Keep up the good work 👍

Edited by Van wink

9 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Unfortunately for the rest of the world the Pfizer pill first releases have in the main been bought up by the USA. It does seem however the Pfizer pill really does the job. Hopefully they will allow all of their major manufacturing plants to manufacture it, then lots will be available in Europe for a start.

9 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

After saying USA have bought everything up, the U.K. have just announced deals for antivirals as well. Paxlovid is the Pfizer pill.

Personally I don’t go with this virus less virulent I think the vaccines and treatments are the reason as to why there are less hospitalisations and deaths. Let’s hope people carry on with boosters ( however many maybe required ) ( I see Israel are getting dose 4 ready ). I see lots of countries today saying you will need a booster ( no longer 2 doses ) to travel to their country. 

The UK has signed deals to buy a further 4.25 million courses of antiviral Covid pills for the NHS.

The two new contracts are for 1.75 million additional courses of Molnupiravir and 2.5 million additional courses of Paxlovid.

They will be available from early next year and are both expected to be effective against Omicron.

The tablets will be used to either treat those who are infected with the virus or sometimes protect exposed individuals from becoming infected.

The government is urging all over 50s and most vulnerable to sign up to the national study as soon as they test positive for Covid.

Announcing the deal, Health Secretary Sajid Javid says: “This is a mammoth deal for the UK government and for patients across the country that are set to benefit from these antivirals over the coming months."

Edited by Well b back
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Got my booster on Christmas Eve. What could go wrong.😀

My PCR test kit arrived this morning.

• Thanks 1

Had to laugh at London finally being recognised as the “mutant epicentre” in the news this morning

A fact I’ve known for years

As I mentioned earlier this morning, Israel are almost certain to start dose 4 shortly. Unfortunately that shows that immunity must start to dwindle again at 4 months ( this is in line with the common cold ). As usual I plea please get your boosters they are so important as the 7 month figures are beginning to get released and they look far worse than 6 months.

Lets hope this time the government trust the real life Israeli data and we don’t finish up having to immunise people like this time round.

Israel says it plans to become the first country to roll out a fourth dose of the vaccine as the country prepares for a wave of infections driven by the new Omicron variant. 

Israel’s pandemic experts have recommended a fourth booster for the over-60s and health workers. 

The decision is still pending approval by senior health officials. 

According to the country’s heath ministry, there were at least 340 known cases of the variant in Israel.

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

As I mentioned earlier this morning, Israel are almost certain to start dose 4 shortly. Unfortunately that shows that immunity must start to dwindle again at 4 months ( this is in line with the common cold ). As usual I plea please get your boosters they are so important as the 7 month figures are beginning to get released and they look far worse than 6 months.

Lets hope this time the government trust the real life Israeli data and we don’t finish up having to immunise people like this time round.

Israel says it plans to become the first country to roll out a fourth dose of the vaccine as the country prepares for a wave of infections driven by the new Omicron variant. 

Israel’s pandemic experts have recommended a fourth booster for the over-60s and health workers. 

The decision is still pending approval by senior health officials. 

According to the country’s heath ministry, there were at least 340 known cases of the variant in Israel.

Btw the 4th jab is for the over 60’s

just like the 3rd one was supposed to be for

so it’ll be for everyone by the spring

15 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Btw the 4th jab is for the over 60’s

just like the 3rd one was supposed to be for

so it’ll be for everyone by the spring

Is that a bad thing? 

Do you or anyone you know take long term medication? I don't see this as any different.

• Like 1

Let's all hope we hear some good news on the 'severity' of Omicron vs Delta today going forward with our population demographics as Johnson has effectively bet 'all in' on the turn of a friendly card. 

Clearly there will be a lot of intergenerational mixing in the next few days so some sort of surge in the over 50s is only to be expected.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

After saying USA have bought everything up, the U.K. have just announced deals for antivirals as well. Paxlovid is the Pfizer pill.

Personally I don’t go with this virus less virulent I think the vaccines and treatments are the reason as to why there are less hospitalisations and deaths. Let’s hope people carry on with boosters ( however many maybe required ) ( I see Israel are getting dose 4 ready ). I see lots of countries today saying you will need a booster ( no longer 2 doses ) to travel to their country. 

The UK has signed deals to buy a further 4.25 million courses of antiviral Covid pills for the NHS.

The two new contracts are for 1.75 million additional courses of Molnupiravir and 2.5 million additional courses of Paxlovid.

They will be available from early next year and are both expected to be effective against Omicron.

The tablets will be used to either treat those who are infected with the virus or sometimes protect exposed individuals from becoming infected.

The government is urging all over 50s and most vulnerable to sign up to the national study as soon as they test positive for Covid.

Announcing the deal, Health Secretary Sajid Javid says: “This is a mammoth deal for the UK government and for patients across the country that are set to benefit from these antivirals over the coming months."

The word "additional" in there suggests we had already purchased some of each of these treatments ???

7 minutes ago, greendoor said:

Is that a bad thing? 

Do you or anyone you know take long term medication? I don't see this as any different.

Does everyone regardless of age and underlying conditions take long term medication?

Keegan didn't do a bad job this morning on the usual lamb to the slaughter round of the breakfast news outlets. Its better when someone seems and projects being upbeat than the others with their sincerity faces.

Two of my friends now have this despite having both jabs. They are doing alright and are recovering, but I was supposed to have Christmas Eve with them.

Still, NYE is still on with them and I still have people with me on Christmas Eve, it still sucks though as my other half and myself love those pair.

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

Two of my friends now have this despite having both jabs. They are doing alright and are recovering, but I was supposed to have Christmas Eve with them.

Still, NYE is still on with them and I still have people with me on Christmas Eve, it still sucks though as my other half and myself love those pair.

I have had both jabs and the booster, and I have it. I am now on plan C for Christmas. 

Question for anyone in their 70's plus (or anyone else....)

Would you be looking forward to seeing a relative from overseas at Christmas? One who would be travelling through airports 

Or would you rather not see them right now?

52 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Question for anyone in their 70's plus (or anyone else....)

Would you be looking forward to seeing a relative from overseas at Christmas? One who would be travelling through airports 

Or would you rather not see them right now?

I think that I would be OK with that. This variant seems less harsh.

My son has it and says he just feels as though he has a bad cold. He is more upset he has got it while on two weeks leave.

If it is just like a bad cold, I could handle that, especially if it built up some antibodies. I have had three jabs and feel I would not be hospitalised.

And I have damaged my achilles so not likely to be out and about for a while.

• Thanks 2

National

106,122 - 140

rate of increase of  58.9%            rate of increase starts to decline     1.5 million tests

Local

Norwich   West rate             943.2      Local   R  estimated 1 - 1.2

N&N Patients 

14-12-2021     25                         
13-12-2021     30  
12-12-2021     26  
11-12-2021     25  

Vax     

1st Dose      39,995              89.7% done                               Norwich numbers   78.1%        Booster rate 42.1%     

2nd Dose     54,085              82% done                                                                  71.7%

Booster     968,665     total          30,844,888                53.6%          

In Hospital

21-12-2021                                      8,008
20-12-2021 7,814
19-12-2021 7,579
18-12-2021 7,427
17-12-2021 7,499
16-12-2021 7,630

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And here we are 100,000 cases for the first time

For balance, several European countries have been recording 100k-140k U.K. population equivalent numbers for some time (Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands etc).

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And here we are 100,000 cases for the first time

106,122 to be exact.

And that's just those who felt the need to be tested.

Will be very interesting to see what the numbers are after the Christmas mingling.

Vaccination numbers likely to stall now over the two days of Christmas.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I may be mistaken but I am sure the figure of 10K in hospital was quoted as the watershed.

The headline is 100,000 cases but I think what’s more interesting thing is the hardening of the opinion that this is milder and the early scare tactics (6,000 dead a day wasn’t it?) are likely all b0llocks.

Theres going to be a lot of doomsday merchants, clinging to their newfound relevancy like you wouldn’t believe, backtracking, selectively remembering and flat out denying they said any of it.

Then you will have Welsh and Scottish politicians, and that poison midget in London, holding their own people to ransom, running their British regions like it’s a banana republic. They’ll now do everything in their power to convince us it is a disaster. They’ll be 3 people in hospital and sturgeon will be calling for UN relief tents.

Hospital data out for today.

London admissions 301, of which 74 are transfers who'd already been in for a week. 20 hour wait to find out how many of the rest were iffy too.

Total in hospital now just over 2k for London, just over 7k for England overall, but rose less today than yesterday, and agin those figures include every single transfer and incidental admission.

• Like 1

Just now, ricardo said:

Hospital data out for today.

London admissions 301, of which 74 are transfers who'd already been in for a week. 20 hour wait to find out how many of the rest were iffy too.

Total in hospital now just over 2k for London, just over 7k for England overall, but rose less today than yesterday, and agin those figures include every single transfer and incidental admission.

That’s the key, we need to be careful as this variant is so transmissible some people admitted for other issues could test positive upon admission! I assume they still test everyone admitted regardless if the symptoms are to do with Covid or not! The actual numbers of all admissions need to be monitored too.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

That’s the key, we need to be careful as this variant is so transmissible some people admitted for other issues could test positive upon admission! I assume they still test everyone admitted regardless if the symptoms are to do with Covid or not! The actual numbers of all admissions need to be monitored too.

They do, and about 50% are incidental.

• Like 1