Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Turning on Farke

2 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

The backing isn't criminal, it's just the way it is and I'm sure he knew it at the beginning of the season. Surely it's Webber who spends the ££ on the team, not Farke.

The backing is not fit for purpose, if that purpose is to stay in the best league with the rewards that come with it... in that respect our board have backed Farke in the way they wish to see the club.

The board back Webber not Farke, IMO. The backing was within parameters of the target for this year. I know some don't/won't accept that while some do. I'm content and relaxed about where we are. Sometimes relegation bothers me, not so this time.

I'm done here. Have a good day, work beckons.

• Like 2

It is clear that if Pep was coaching us there would be some saying Klopp would be better.

The criticisms yesterday, not slating, were valid in most cases. If certain things become noticeable, like the use of subs for instance, then it isn't unreasonable to question hi use of them. It is moaning about him. Its merely wondering, as we did with Hughton, why they are more reactive than proactive.

And I persistently question about zonal marking at set pieces, when we concede so many, and do appear to have ever tried man marking.

But that isn't saying that overall I am not happy with his coaching. Surely no-one in their right mind can considering what he has to work with, a Championship winning squad playing in the Prem. And we have seen, after that first dire season, two seasons of some entertaining football.

Some want more than entertainment and I can understand that. If you are in your early twenties, you have witnessed three promotions to the top tier without holding on. Some of us can remember a blanket going round to bail the club out so since 1971, in the main, we have been delighted with our progress and where we are today. In fact all that I believe is missing is probably a double the size City Stand.

• Like 1

"delighted with our progress and where we are today"

Bottom of the Premiership is something I am not delighted with to be honest & I see zero progression this season.

"In fact all that I believe is missing is probably a double the size City Stand"

I would like a competitive premiership squad myself... 

Edited by Kenny Foggo

Bottom of the Premiership is something I am not delighted with to be honest & I see zero progression this season.

I wasn't really taking this season in isolation Kenny, If what we are led to believe is correct, we have probably the best ever squad in terms of value and they cost loose change. And even if we sold them for half their current value we would be looking at a tidy sum.

1 hour ago, Il Pirata said:

I's still fully behind Farke, but have some concerns.

Firstly, his inability to utilise the squad as a whole is frustrating. I don't buy the line 'he can only work with what he's got' - he's got more available to him than he choses to use, for whatever reason that might be. But it isn't about quality, Leitner and Amadou, for example, definitely have enough about them to have made some positive impact.

As for the CDM and centre back roles, Webber can't be blamed for not recruiting the players when Farke continually praises the likes of Tettey and Zimmerman, and plays them week in week out. I made the point on another thread, this club should not be in a position where it relies on a 33 year old Alex Tettey in the EPL. And I think that's more to do with Farke than recruitment. The Ben Godfrey thing too. I understand he has potential to be a quality centre back. But that doesn't mean he can't ever play CDM again, does it? Surely he could get experience in both positions. I know how Farke see's him, but he's not actually seen Godfrey play the CDM role for us to make a reasoned judgment, surely? 

Secondly, and this has been done to death recently, his in-game-adaptability is virtually non-existent. I firmly believe this has cost us a substantial number of points recently. 

Despite this, if Farke and Webber are committed to the next two seasons and have a plan in place, I'm happy to back them in the hope this sees us return to the premiership in a stronger position. One things for sure though, we need to be investing a bit more than we are for quality players. Not ten's of millions, but even Brentford spent £5 million on a centre half in the summer. Pontus Janssen, would have a been a perfect signing for us, wouldn't he?

Farke often mentions the lack of spending as a factor in our inabilities to compete, but I do wonder how much this is down to Farke wanting to play certain players, resulting in Webber not recruiting replacements. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure Webber wouldn't sit back if Farke was knocking on his door saying we need to upgrade Tettey and Zim asap. Webber doesn't just buy players using a scatter gun approach, and throw them to Farke to use. Farke must have a say as to what he thinks he needs. Which makes the Rupp signing, a little bizarre. 

I think the rotation point is an interesting one.

He seems to make judgements on players quite quickly and it seems difficult to shift them- players get completely frozen out with no opportunity to impress and win their place back.

We saw it last season with players like Ben Marshall- started the first few games then wouldn't even get 10 minutes from the bench. Similar this season with Roberts- unwilling to even put him on the bench as a potential impact sub, preferring to fill our sub spots with central midfielders who were never all going to be needed.

Now Amadou seems to be out of the picture- 45 minutes v Southampton and he's now relegated to 4th choice DM and 5th choice central defender.

I know he see's them in training and can make his mind up but I just don't believe Roberts wouldn't have been worth giving the odd 20 minutes to off the bench when we were struggling or that Amadou can't bring something to the team in rotation with Tettey. All fine when things are going well but it can appear stubborn when things aren't.

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wasn't really taking this season in isolation Kenny, If what we are led to believe is correct, we have probably the best ever squad in terms of value and they cost loose change. And even if we sold them for half their current value we would be looking at a tidy sum.

A tidy sum and lots of gaps in the team... with owners who do not like to spend.. what could possibly go wrong?

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the rotation point is an interesting one.

He seems to make judgements on players quite quickly and it seems difficult to shift them- players get completely frozen out with no opportunity to impress and win their place back.

We saw it last season with players like Ben Marshall- started the first few games then wouldn't even get 10 minutes from the bench. Similar this season with Roberts- unwilling to even put him on the bench as a potential impact sub, preferring to fill our sub spots with central midfielders who were never all going to be needed.

Now Amadou seems to be out of the picture- 45 minutes v Southampton and he's now relegated to 4th choice DM and 5th choice central defender.

I know he see's them in training and can make his mind up but I just don't believe Roberts wouldn't have been worth giving the odd 20 minutes to off the bench when we were struggling or that Amadou can't bring something to the team in rotation with Tettey. All fine when things are going well but it can appear stubborn when things aren't.

I agree with that. The limited use of subs and/or squad rotation means that players who are playing are often slightly run into the ground but also when you are out of the side or if you are a regular sub then you get little or no pitch time at all or can find your self completely frozen out. I have a slight concerns that by loaning/bringing in the likes of Duda and playing him we are going to alienate players like Stiepermann, Onel, Trybull and Vrancic who we will actually need next season if we go down because I can't see them getting too much game time in the remainder of this season.

Amadou had one good game and one poor game in midfield and now can't get on the pitch. Roberts didn't get a single chance really. Leitner has disappeared off the face of the earth (probably something more to that one). Trybull is not getting on either and Vrancic and Stiepermann were not even in the squad last weekend.

I do think he could make better use of t he squad in league games. in particular, several games of late have been crying out for Trybull or Amadou to come on in midfield and replace players who have clearly been visibly tired in the second half of games. It would give those players a bit of respite and get some game time into our reserve players as well as give the team more energy in the second half.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

I have two key areas of concern with Farke- game management and squad management.

Outside of that, I think the issues with this season stem almost entirely from the lack of serious investment in improving the squad over the summer. Hard to analyse a manager working with one hand tied behind his back.

Hate to  be pedantic, but DF spends an awful lot of time with his arms crossed in front of him,rubbing his chin on the top of his Parka zip.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Hate to  be pedantic, but DF spends an awful lot of time with his arms crossed in front of him,rubbing his chin on the top of his Parka zip.

I wouldn’t judge him on that. I’ve spent the majority of the morning lying on my bed and picking my nose.

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

People aren't turning on Farke, there's just a couple of posters who have to go OTT about it and people then think that's the norm. The posters slating Farke are in such a minority - just ignore them.

Its also a very small minority of fans who are extreme happy clappers, these people believe Farke is an infallible genius who should be eternally immune from any criticism. You are one of those.  

Although granted I don't think you were one of the several posters who were calling for his head on here at the end of his first season but act like the rest of us have forgotten. The internet never forgets. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I wouldn’t judge him on that. I’ve spent the majority of the morning lying on my bed and picking my nose.

Im judging nobody, it was merely an observation.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

True.  Webber quote?😉

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

True.  Webber quote?😉

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

True.  Webber quote?😉

And elephants.

Farke has not been given enough funds ,his hands are tied we need more quality ,take last night for example we created quite a lot of chances but how many saves did Loris actually make?

Farke is not the be all and end all at NCFC, he is just another manager doing his best under very very poor ownership and the decisions made by a very very poor board et al Ron Saunders, John Bond, Ken Brown, Mike Walker,  Nigel Worthington, Paul Lambert and Alex Neil. He will go the same way as the rest when it all goes pear shaped, and it will if it hasn't already. Little has changed since the club was founded,  history tells you that, so what’s different now.

Absolutely nothing.

It is a strange one because it seems so patently obvious to us but it doesn't within the club.

There are valid arguments that we haven't been able to spend and the squad isn't quite as deep with quality as we would like or hope, but the question is now why we aren't getting more out of what we do have.

Rotating the squad properly is vital, not just for match fitness of the players but also their confidence and will to win. Our backups can be pretty sure they're only going to get 5 minutes at the end of games, then when a spate of injuries happen none of them are match-fit to play 90 and unlikely to give a good account of themselves. They also know that unless they put in an absolutely stellar performance, they'll be out again as soon as the previous incumbent is fit.

I imagine there's a technical statistic-based reason for this, like having Pukki on the pitch as much as possible theoretically increases our chances of winning more than Drmic or Idah. Or Tettey having the highest duels won % of the other central midfielders so theoretically having him on the pitch as much as possible increases our ability to screen the defence. 

Of course it's impossible to say with any certainty, but I believe if we weren't so rigid about how we defend set-pieces and how we manage the squad we would be a good 6 or 7 points better off at this stage and well in the fight.

The aim of the club is to become self sufficient, by getting us in the Premiership Farke's helped with it a great deal, it's another few years of the money coming in. The club set out a five year plan but Farke  is well ahead of that. there's no way that he will lose his job.

Edited by SwindonCanary

5 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The aim of the is to become self sufficient, by getting us in the Premiership Farke's helped with it a great deal, it's another few years of the money coming in. The club set out a five year plan but Farke  is well ahead of that. there's no way that he will lose his job.

Maybe not now but if he starts next season badly he will😅

8 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The aim of the club is to become self sufficient, by getting us in the Premiership Farke's helped with it a great deal, it's another few years of the money coming in. The club set out a five year plan but Farke  is well ahead of that. there's no way that he will lose his job.

How we can we be ahead of a five year plan if we're playing in the Championship in the fourth year? 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How we can we be ahead of a five year plan if we're playing in the Championship in the fourth year? 

Stop causing trouble ! Just go with the plan.

I don't see people turning on DF. I see supporters with genuine frustrations regarding a perceived lack of investment and some (like myself) who would like us to adopt a plan B or whatever we call it these days when we are chasing a game or especially when we are holding on or in front holding on. 

I believe the vast majority (apart from a few tw4ts on here pretending to be NCFC supporters) are still behind him and appreciate the hand he has been dealt with.

He has galvanised this club, and in turn, last season given us some of the best football I have ever seen at CR since the late 70's.

My frustrations are due to what could have been with this squad and the injuries that have wrecked our chances (along with the lack of a couple of additional pre season signings to help us).

Turning on Farke? No where near.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, East Rider said:

I don't see people turning on DF. I see supporters with genuine frustrations regarding a perceived lack of investment and some (like myself) who would like us to adopt a plan B or whatever we call it these days when we are chasing a game or especially when we are holding on or in front holding on. 

I believe the vast majority (apart from a few tw4ts on here pretending to be NCFC supporters) are still behind him and appreciate the hand he has been dealt with.

He has galvanised this club, and in turn, last season given us some of the best football I have ever seen at CR since the late 70's.

My frustrations are due to what could have been with this squad and the injuries that have wrecked our chances (along with the lack of a couple of additional pre season signings to help us).

You make some very good points and I too would like to see a plan b and or changes to the formation now and again but we're playing some good football ,it's just frustrating the board have us shopping at poundland😭

13 minutes ago, East Rider said:

^ Well said East Rider

In no sense should Farke be perceived as a problem. He wasn’t given a chance. Sadly, I suspect that many will happily applaud being a relatively big fish in the chumps rather than competing in the prem.

This whole Premier League thing is a debate point I think. 

For me, if we play football like we did last season, with a full house (in a re-built and expanded City Stand) and can do that on a squad and hence wage structure that allows us to break even, why on earth do we worry about Premier League status?

The PL is like a sugar rush, it's great at first but then you need more and more sugar to keep the high going. And one day it will come back down with a massive crash. I'm really not fussed if we are there or not, as long as we can enjoy the seasons there and not there. 

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

This whole Premier League thing is a debate point I think. 

For me, if we play football like we did last season, with a full house (in a re-built and expanded City Stand) and can do that on a squad and hence wage structure that allows us to break even, why on earth do we worry about Premier League status?

The PL is like a sugar rush, it's great at first but then you need more and more sugar to keep the high going. And one day it will come back down with a massive crash. I'm really not fussed if we are there or not, as long as we can enjoy the seasons there and not there. 

I guess we really do get the owners we deserve with that kind of statement.