Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Soooo close to sounding like you actually believe that too.

A little more work and you might start to convince yourself that's true.

Yes, thank you, I'm always convinced by facts and known truths..

I'm also convinced you're a left-handed mung bean.

1 minute ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

I'm also convinced you're a left-handed mung bean.

You're convinced Brexit is also a success. So what you're essentially saying is that I'm as far removed from a left-handed mung bean as it's possible to be.

You're essentially calling me a right-handed genius. Not far from the truth, to be honest with you.

Edited by canarydan23

Just now, canarydan23 said:

We've had Ukraine, Covid, blob, civil service, cherry-picked links and Rejoiniac!

My Right-Wing R3tard bingo card is almost full.

Any crap spouted by the Daily Fail, GBeebies or some moron at CCHQ and he runs with it. The most useful of useful idiots.

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Any crap spouted by the Daily Fail, GBeebies or some moron at CCHQ and he runs with it. The most useful of useful idiots.

Says the Rejoiniac who can't persuade Brexiteers that there are only negatives to Brexit if they have to concede that there are any (Never mind many) gains... Just like the bull****tIng MSM you Lefty numbskulls have bought into.

21 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

We've had Ukraine, Covid, blob, civil service, cherry-picked links and Rejoiniac!

My Right-Wing R3tard bingo card is almost fully stamped.

Waiting for "Pride" and "drag queens are paedos". Or "stop sexualising our kids" with any reference to homosexuality.

I wonder if these people were furiously jacking one off when watching Mrs. Doubtfire.

• Haha 2

Oh, wait, no, they were saying "don't sexualise our kids" when Peppa Pig had a lesbian polar bear couple.

I must have missed the bit where lesbian polar bears were getting down to some crack-snacking on children's television.

10 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

That and the 'blob' being totally backed up by the MSM who rarely if ever report on positive Brexit news.  

Yes, it is really strange isn't it that even stalwart members of the MSM such as the Daily Heil, Torygraph et al who campaigned so vigorously and relentlessly for Brexit have gone so quiet on the subject, instead of breaking all that positive Brexit news which is apparently going unnoticed.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Says the Rejoiniac who can't persuade Brexiteers that there are only negatives to Brexit if they have to concede that there are any (Never mind many) gains... Just like the bull****tIng MSM you Lefty numbskulls have bought into.

You are getting a bit bolshie Jools. Considering how gutless you were, like Johnson, when things went wrong. Will you disappear again after the two bi elections coming up. There should be three but your moll Nads, the Miss Havisham of the Tory Party, like you, hasn't got the bottle to jump.

Mark Carney saying that Brexit is the root cause of the UKs deep seated inflation problem.

Not difficult to understand that really. Make your market smaller means less competition means suppliers can charge higher pirces with no loss of sales.

And its the Torygraph reporting it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/06/16/mark-carney-interview-brexit-inflation-interest-rates/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Mark Carney saying that Brexit is the root cause of the UKs deep seated inflation problem.

Not difficult to understand that really. Make your market smaller means less competition means suppliers can charge higher pirces with no loss of sales.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/06/16/mark-carney-interview-brexit-inflation-interest-rates/

Yes.  BoE is now having to raise interest rates more and more to 'crush' inflation pushing us more than likely into a deeper recession and stymieing growth. It's not all the fault of Brexit but a large self-inflicted part is. Anyway, these rises will make the young and anybody with a mortgage treat the word Tory and Brexiteer as words of disgust. Truly an electoral ticking time-bomb for the Conservatives who enabled it.

Edited by Yellow Fever

27 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes.  BoE is now having to raise interest rates more and more to 'crush' inflation pushing us more than likely into a deeper recession and stymieing growth. It's not all the fault of Brexit but a large self-inflicted part is. Anyway, these rises will make the young and anybody with a mortgage treat the word Tory and Brexiteer as words of disgust. Truly an electoral ticking time-bomb for the Conservatives who enabled it.

Of course, when it suits, we are told inflation is rampant worldwide, true, and we are doing better GDP wise than Germany, true, and tha tonce out of the EU and not tied to a single market.

But we were told our independence would put a firewall around the UK and protect us from anything the occurred in the EU.

Now we are being told its not really Brexit yet, even though Johnson told us that his deal meant Brexit and Sunak said the Windsor agreement meant we could move on.

So I can only repeat what I said at the time and repeatedly since, that I voted remain because I knew what the future held within the EU but had no idea what might happen if we left and I did not think it worth the risk.

What we do have is turmoil. No one can agree. Ex BoE says our problems are down to leaving, others say its just part of the worldwide depression. Liars (I use that because its recently been proven that he lies) like Johnson kept telling us it was Covid19 and the war in Ukraine.

So the experts can't agree. So why the **** did we bother in the first place? Please someone tell me that I am now better off since 2016 purely because we are no longer in the EU.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Herman said:

The best and simplest way to measure brexit is to check if it has improved Britain and your way of living, as was promised, and the answer is a  categorical no. 

At last!

I've looked in on this thread intermittently for a while now and I've seen lots off gdp and exchange rates charts etc but I don't recall once anyone stating what should be bleeding obvious, that the measure of anything should be 'does it improve our way of living'.

Appreciate that it's a hard thing to measure but just because its hard to measure something important doesn't mean you should make important something that is easy to measure.  That's the path to all kinds of crap policy.  

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Of course, when it suits, we are told inflation is rampant worldwide, true, and we are doing better GDP wise than Germany, true, and tha tonce out of the EU and not tied to a single market.

But we were told our independence would put a firewall around the UK and protect us from anything the occurred in the EU.

Now we are being told its not really Brexit yet, even though Johnson told us that his deal meant Brexit and Sunak said the Windsor agreement meant we could move on.

So I can only repeat what I said at the time and repeatedly since, that I voted remain because I knew what the future held within the EU but had no idea what might happen if we left and I did not think it worth the risk.

What we do have is turmoil. No one can agree. Ex BoE says our problems are down to leaving, others say its just part of the worldwide depression. Liars (I use that because its recently been proven that he lies) like Johnson kept telling us it was Covid19 and the war in Ukraine.

So the experts can't agree. So why the **** did we bother in the first place? Please someone tell me that I am now better off since 2016 purely because we are no longer in the EU.

The 'experts' do agree KG. Brexit is economically damaging.  Don't get sidetracked by 'snap' shots of others in a slightly different economic cycle but take the longer term view (i.e Europe doesn't need to raise interest rates so high a they are already having their effect depressing inflation - our more toxic medicine is about to act). As in climate change weather is not climate.

Your point about not knowing what Brexit 'meant' is entirely true. We knew what we had and the gremlins in the EU.  Leaving the EU without a clearly defined plan (i.e we stay in the SM or CU or whatever) was tantamount to writing a blank cheque, betting your house on the turn of a friendly card. No sane business or country would do such thing. That's why even once the decision had been taken to leave there needed to be a defined plan that was confirmed (or negated) in a second ref. Instead we had  'f * * k business' !

We had the die-hard problem gamblers in charge. Doubling down on one bad bet after another until they go bust. Addicted.  And then we wonder why when it's all gone wrong many will likely loose their houses.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Blimey 😲

I think that the brexiters have always underestimated how seriously the EU takes the integrity of the single market. This'll be a starting point.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I think that the brexiters have always underestimated how seriously the EU takes the integrity of the single market. This'll be a starting point.

Absolutely they have, just as they've also always underestimed or simply failed to understand the huge benefits of the single market to all the member countries - stupidity or incompetence?

Probably both in many cases, certainly as far as the current Tory Party is concerned.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Absolutely they have, just as they've also always underestimed or simply failed to understand the huge benefits of the single market to all the member countries - stupidity or incompetence?

Probably both in many cases, certainly as far as the current Tory Party is concerned.

Both stupidity and incompetence but with a massive dollop of exceptionalism. A fatal mix. 

• Like 1

On 14/06/2023 at 16:35, littleyellowbirdie said:

This has been corrected so many times on here that I can only assume you're intentionally lying.

The referendum legislation was introduced and passed by a Conservative majority government. The Lib Dems had nothing to do with it; no party was in a position to stop the referendum other than the Conservatives themselves.

So what you are saying is that if the Lib Dems would have understood the implications such a referendum could and eventually did bring to this country, they could have resigned the coalition and forced another election.

They could have pointed to the fact that Europeans living here had no choice in the matter/shaping their future, due to their nationalities, not the fact that they were working here paid taxes had families children and grandchildren, i.e. were playing their full part in society.

They could have resigned whence vans with ugly xenophobic/racist messages were driving round London, telling people to get back to their countries, but they would have had to sacrifice their perks as ministers, their ample pay, so they acted in self interest, not for reasons of fair and balanced democratic choices, they voted to become breakfast to the Conservative cabal, after a speed dating session lasting one week, not a coalition talk on the whole policy portfolio which lasts at least six weeks in most so called democratic countries.

a sham!

5 hours ago, duke63 said:

Why has none of you lethargic Rejoiniacs mentioned the fact that just two days ago the ECB responsible for the Eurozone raised its interest rates to the highest levels since 2001 with Lagarde indicating that rates will continue to rise this year?  

Yes, the UK faces economic headwinds – partly caused by the over-reaction to Covid-19 and partly due to the incompetence of the BoE and the OBR, but the Eurozone is currently faring worse - Why can't you Lefties aknowledge that fact..

Of course one will never hear the EU loving BBC/MSM  say 'And meanwhile the eurozone is contracting with high interest rates and low growth while the UK has steady growth', so what you need to do is do your own research - I garnered the above information directly from the ECB and Eurostat sites.

36 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Why has none of you lethargic Rejoiniacs mentioned the fact that just two days ago the ECB responsible for the Eurozone raised its interest rates to the highest levels since 2001 with Lagarde indicating that rates will continue to rise this year?  

Yes, the UK faces economic headwinds – partly caused by the over-reaction to Covid-19 and partly due to the incompetence of the BoE and the OBR, but the Eurozone is currently faring worse - Why can't you Lefties aknowledge that fact..

Of course one will never hear the EU loving BBC/MSM  say 'And meanwhile the eurozone is contracting with high interest rates and low growth while the UK has steady growth', so what you need to do is do your own research - I garnered the above information directly from the ECB and Eurostat sites.

We were never in the Eurozone

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We were never in the Eurozone

If you Rejoiniacs had your way we would already be in the Eurozone and the UK would be forced to become part of it if the UK were to rejoin the EU -- Either way we'd currently be in recession, but we're not - The Eurozone is contracting and its biggest economy, Germany, is in recession -- The UK's economy is predicted to outperform Germany's this year.

Britain is doing deals with the fastest-growing economies in the world - The CPTPP is where it's at - a a massive trading bloc stretching from Canada to Japan to Australia - It comprises 580m consumers (far more than the EU) and has a combined GDP of £11 trillion - Crucially it contains countries which are growing several times faster than the EU -- In addition the UK has been signing deals with individual US states - As the US is the UK’s biggest export market (Not the EU) this should very soon start to pay dividends. 

Rejoining the EU would mean none of this would be possible.

As you may or may not know, or choose to ignore, international trade is the ‘sole competence’ of the EU Commission - EU member countries are not permitted to have any trade discussions internationally -- Instead they have to wait for the snail-like work of the Commission, which takes an average of well over 10 years to agree trade deals – if indeed it agrees them at all.

• Haha 1

What's food inflation like in other countries?

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/national/23596425.fears-raised-sting-tail-post-brexit-border-charge-food---report/

The most recent official data showed that food inflation struck 19.3% in April, dipping only slightly from March’s eye-watering 19.6% and remaining close to the highest rate for more than 45 years.

8 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

The coming crash in house prices and big rise in interest rates for all mortgage holders is indeed a massive ticking timebomb. 

we are not talking a few hundred pounds a year but potentially a few thousand in many cases. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, duke63 said:

The coming crash in house prices and big rise in interest rates for all mortgage holders is indeed a massive ticking timebomb. 

we are not talking a few hundred pounds a year but potentially a few thousand in many cases. 

Yes - I think there is an inter-generational reckoning ahead.

On 16/06/2023 at 17:45, TheGunnShow said:

Waiting for "Pride" and "drag queens are paedos". Or "stop sexualising our kids" with any reference to homosexuality.

I wonder if these people were furiously jacking one off when watching Mrs. Doubtfire.

My dear Gunny, we did not ever believe Mrs. Doubtfire was some loveable old trans woman who had a happy ending. The whole premise of the movie, don't forget , was the character was a man who had to dress up as a woman to disguise his true self in order to have contact with his kids. So if Robin Williams character could be described as anything it would a transvestite, a word that seems to have fallen out of favour these past few years. The moral of the story surely is that it isn't necessary to pretend to be something that you are not, and true happiness to everyone occurred when the character threw off the pretence of being a man in female clothing.

BTW, "stop sexualising our kids" is enough. It doesn't matter whether the grooming is for hetero or homosexual purposes, you shouldn't feel the need to make a distinction.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

My dear Gunny, we did not ever believe Mrs. Doubtfire was some loveable old trans woman who had a happy ending

Tell us the truth, you've extensive experience of happy endings with trans women, haven't you?

19 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Tell us the truth, you've extensive experience of happy endings with trans women, haven't you?

At least he's honest with his prejudices I guess.  You, less so I suspect...

10 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

At least he's honest with his prejudices I guess.  You, less so I suspect...

Those certainly are words.

14 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

My dear Gunny, we did not ever believe Mrs. Doubtfire was some loveable old trans woman who had a happy ending. The whole premise of the movie, don't forget , was the character was a man who had to dress up as a woman to disguise his true self in order to have contact with his kids. So if Robin Williams character could be described as anything it would a transvestite, a word that seems to have fallen out of favour these past few years. The moral of the story surely is that it isn't necessary to pretend to be something that you are not, and true happiness to everyone occurred when the character threw off the pretence of being a man in female clothing.

BTW, "stop sexualising our kids" is enough. It doesn't matter whether the grooming is for hetero or homosexual purposes, you shouldn't feel the need to make a distinction.

I don't think it has anything to do with what you say. Its about Parenting. Sally Field was as much to blame as Robin Williams.