Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

Poor old Nigel. 😉

I saw a comment elswhere.

What's the XTC song...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

'And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.'

This trip to the UK I've used absolutely zero cash. Every single transaction has been contactless. In France, they actually have legislation to ensure every French citizen can have a bank account.

Is it possible to function properly in UK society without a bank account? If it is, I don't see how. That puts the issue in the territory of an extralegal attack on people's basic liberties.

Suits you, sir

I got cancelled by Barclays nearly 30 years ago, before cancelling was a thing 

I owed them just over £5, IIRC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Poor old Nigel. 😉

Oh dear, perhaps it would have been wiser (and of course a great novelty) for Nigel to have kept his gob shut over this one 😂

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Oh dear, perhaps it would have been wiser (and of course a great novelty) for Nigel to have kept his gob shut over this one 😂

Strictly speaking, Bryant didn't out him; he made a potentially slanderous allegation under parliamentary privilege that have triggered it.

In a way, there's a strong argument he should put his money where his mouth is, make the allegation outside of parliament and see what the courts make of it.

The fact he has been offered other accounts just makes shutting am existing account seem even more bizarre.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Totally tangential, but I got accidentally caught up in the crowd leaving Hyde Park after Blackpink last night. The ethnic mix did cause me to wonder if the UK had actually been towed off to Asia post-Brexit!

I understand tha tCoutts have said that his account is pretty supsicious in terms of it being a political party (the accout was in the name of the Reform Party).

There are no members but you can donate. There is no Treasurer, no Secretary but one director, namely Farage.  The PEP regulations have to be applied to avoid bribery or money laundering.

So have a proper political party Farage instead of your Trump like send me money organisation and you will be trusted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's skint and he wouldn't accept that he'd have to open a 'plebs' account.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66097039

Nigel Farage fell below the financial threshold required to hold an account at Coutts, the prestigious private bank for the wealthy, the BBC has been told.

It is understood that he was subsequently offered a standard account at NatWest which owns Coutts.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Nigel Farage fell below the financial threshold required to hold an account at Coutts, the prestigious private bank for the wealthy, the BBC has been told.

It is understood that he was subsequently offered a standard account at NatWest which owns Coutts.

So who do you believe - Farage or Coutts?

Well that's an easy one for most of us given Farage's previous form 😉

Farage is so poor he wears the same pair of underpants 4 times a week. 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

So after everyone wet themselves with claims of Russian links,  money laundering and political scheming it turns out that the likely and rather boring truth is that he just isn't rich enough?

More attention for the narcissist, he must have loved the last few days until the bank spoilt it. Why can't people just let him disappear into quiet retirement?

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

So after everyone wet themselves with claims of Russian links,  money laundering and political scheming it turns out that the likely and rather boring truth is that he just isn't rich enough?

More attention for the narcissist, he must have loved the last few days until the bank spoilt it. Why can't people just let him disappear into quiet retirement?

I think there is some mischief at play still. Coutt's can't state of course the real reasoning but as Farage himself now states (see R4 "World at One" today) he has been under this threshold for ten (or many) years. However, this seems as good (and convenient) excuse for Coutt's as any if they wanted one!

Then again - he can have a personal NatWest bank account but not (again his own words) a business one (from anybody) which is what he wants (a personal one is useless to him if I quote him correctly).

There is more at play than meets the eye.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Farage did actually start all this and the rest of us are just enjoying the schadenfreude. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I don't know about the money, but I think he has appeared on RT?

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Farage did actually start all this and the rest of us are just enjoying the schadenfreude. 

Exactly.  He started it.  He wanted you to talk about him because he loves people talking  about him

He loves being 'relevant' and links to russia and all the rest of it will have made him feel he is.

Why his sworn enemies do exactly what he wants them to do I'm not sure I understand!

Edited by Barbe bleu

20 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Exactly.  He started it.  He wanted you to talk about him because he loves people talking  about him

He loves being 'relevant' and links to russia and all the rest of it will have made him feel he is.

Why his sworn enemies do exactly what he wants them to do I'm not sure I understand!

I think you'll find he tried to start another culture war, which his idiot friends the Mail, Fox, Young etc. tried to join in on. I'm simply enjoying these wâš“s look the fools they are.Just a shame there's still a lot of people out there who fall for it.

20 minutes ago, Herman said:

I think you'll find he tried to start another culture war, which his idiot friends the Mail, Fox, Young etc. tried to join in on. I'm simply enjoying these wâš“s look the fools they are.Just a shame there's still a lot of people out there who fall for it.

The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. Just ignore him and he will go away. And then everyone can talk about something more important 

Nigel farage was a big name and he wants to be again.  You can help him with that with all the talk of culture wars , money laundering and russian influence that has got a journalist or two stung - or you can ignore him and put your energies into a  fight worth fighting. He won't like the second option.

Up to you 

Edited by Barbe bleu

5 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. Just ignore him and he will go away. 

Nigel farage was a big name and he wants to be again.  You can help him with that with all the talk of culture wars , money laundering and russian influence that has got a journalist or two stung - or you can ignore him. He won't like the second option.

Up to you 

They don't go away, they keep coming back with even more nonsense.

Fortunately there are people who will point out where they are talking b0ll0cks, unfortunately there are also people who are gullible enough to believe their b0ll0cks.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

They don't go away, they keep coming back with even more nonsense.

Fortunately there are people who will point out where they are talking b0ll0cks, unfortunately there are also people who are gullible enough to believe their b0ll0cks.

Is it fortunate that people point this stuff out? Or does it just mean that rather than talking about something meaningful we get tin foil hat nonsense about farage being a kgb operative laundering millions of roubles or whatever it is dominating the news reports because the two extremes feel the need tonight over it.

Personally I care much more about inflation figures, or employment, or ukraine than the fact that farage has been offered a Nat West account.

Now I appreciate that I am doing  precisely what I said people shouldn't do, but then again i rather enjoy pointing out the folly of it all. 

It takes two sides to fight a culture war, if either side puts their weapons down it would pretty soon die away.

Edited by Barbe bleu

4 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Is it fortunate that people point this stuff out? Or does it just mean that rather than talking about something meaningful we get tin foil hat nonsense about farage being a kgb operative laundering millions of roubles or whatever it is. 

Now I appreciate that I am doing  precisely what I said people shouldn't do, but then again i rather enjoy pointing out the folly of it.

Yes.

No.

I suppose you have to get your kicks where you can.

45 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Is it fortunate that people point this stuff out? Or does it just mean that rather than talking about something meaningful we get tin foil hat nonsense about farage being a kgb operative laundering millions of roubles or whatever it is dominating the news reports because the two extremes feel the need tonight over it.

Personally I care much more about inflation figures, or employment, or ukraine than the fact that farage has been offered a Nat West account.

Now I appreciate that I am doing  precisely what I said people shouldn't do, but then again i rather enjoy pointing out the folly of it all. 

It takes two sides to fight a culture war, if either side puts their weapons down it would pretty soon die away.

You assume that people can't focus on more than one thing. There's numerous threads on this forum where you can discuss the inflation figures, Ukraine or Farage being a **** etc. and we're all capable of reading or writing on all of them. 

12 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

10 hours ago, Herman said:

People are a distraction from policy. if someone's unpopular then it's an effective distraction to discredit a policy. Nick Clegg's unpopularity was used to sink alterative vote even though public sentiment was in favour of electoral reform in the 2010s.

On the other hand, Nigel Farage isn't unpopular among the people who voted for Brexit. They still listen to him. We went into a pub a couple of days back just after my wallet had been nicked and there were a couple of chaps talking about the Coutts business. My ears pricked up because I heard the younger (probably late 50s) chap saying voting for Brexit had been the 'most anti-establishment thing he'd ever done'. He clearly wasn't happy with the way things were, but he clearly still had a lot of time for Nigel Farage. And clearly no interest in what either of the main parties have to say.

Farage still has a sizable audience. And he has a narrative that agrees with Tobias Ellwood, that this Brexit isn't the one Brexiteers wanted either. The fight's there to be had if Tobias Ellwood and co want the EU at the top of the agenda once again. I'm sure Nigel Farage and friends have a vision of Brexit even further from what erstwhile remainers want. Maybe it could be won;  it's a gamble, just like opting against May's approach was a gamble that finished up with an approach further away from the EU than we'd have otherwise had.

We know that sentiments on the EU don't fit well with party lines, so there's a real risk that politics gets turned on its head all over again.The argument would definitely finish up putting education, health, infrastructure, electoral reform, all back down the agenda again.

55 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

People are a distraction from policy. if someone's unpopular then it's an effective distraction to discredit a policy. Nick Clegg's unpopularity was used to sink alterative vote even though public sentiment was in favour of electoral reform in the 2010s.

On the other hand, Nigel Farage isn't unpopular among the people who voted for Brexit. They still listen to him. We went into a pub a couple of days back just after my wallet had been nicked and there were a couple of chaps talking about the Coutts business. My ears pricked up because I heard the younger (probably late 50s) chap saying voting for Brexit had been the 'most anti-establishment thing he'd ever done'. He clearly wasn't happy with the way things were, but he clearly still had a lot of time for Nigel Farage. And clearly no interest in what either of the main parties have to say.

This is laughable, an overheard 5 word statement in a pub and you've managed to decide he 'had a lot of time for Nigel Farage. And clearly no interest in what either of the main parties have to say.'

Interesting that neither birdie or barbie are questioning Farage's blatant fraudulence. 

• Like 1

Any opportunity people like Farage get to use any negative thing that happens to them in a way to blame the establishment will be thoroughly rammed home. The Jim Davidson, Piers Morgan-loving swathes will lap it up. Silly old gammons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Interesting that neither birdie or barbie are questioning Farage's blatant fraudulence. 

Fraud's overegging it;. He has made a claim about why they're doing it. Increasingly it's clear that he's not rich enough to be a customer of theirs in principle and hasn't been for some time, but he has been one for a long time, so why now? Do they have other customers that have fallen under thresholds who they're also kicking out. It would be interesting to know.

You yourself have plenty of things you choose to believe are true without actually being able to support it. His supporters will take the same approach that he's right and it's 'the establishment getting revenge'. Let's face it, you're delighted about it simply because it's Farage; who knows?

Farage wanted us out of the EU for years. God knows why, but that's his right, same as it's Nicola Sturgeon's right to want Scotland out of the UK. Brexiteers and Scot Nats share a dim view of the 'establishment', so things like this that paint a picture where there 'could' be dirty tricks behind the scenes will always play well for them.

I've got way more reason to hate Farage than you. Him getting his way meant that having my titre de sejour stolen in London meant I spent my last day in London traipsing around police stations and talking to the embassy to make sure I was going to be alright going back into France, getting police reports to get a replacement. It means I have been stripped of my right to be here; instead I'm now a guest under sufferance of the French government. But I still respect the fact that I'm part of a democratic nation where people have the right to hold different views to myself and affect the way my country is governed and how it deals with other countries in a way I wouldn't necessarily approve of.

But it wasn't just Farage that caused the vote to leave the EU. It was a whole host of factors that combined to make the seemingly unlikely happen.

Your problem is you make everything personal, just like the comment I'm replying to.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

This is laughable, an overheard 5 word statement in a pub and you've managed to decide he 'had a lot of time for Nigel Farage. And clearly no interest in what either of the main parties have to say.'

To be fair ALS that's a typical very simplistic Brexiteer response.  I don't like the EU is about as far it usually goes (then add any number of myths).

Edited by Yellow Fever