Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Blanchflower is a credible source.😀

Oh deary me.

He got the double for Spurs, what more do you want?

Just now, Herman said:

He got the double for Spurs, what more do you want?

Thats true, I'd  forgotten that, and also his brother played for Man U.

But is Mervyn King an Arsenal fan.

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

This thread's the 'was it right to sack Dean Smith' of political discussion on the Pinkun.

Other than the fact that you talk utter **** in both of them, what other similarities are there?

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It's the least he deserves.😄

1 minute ago, Herman said:

It's the least he deserves.😄

Mervyn  King was a good dart player though. 

All that subtraction from 501 stood him in good stead for his next job.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Other than the fact that you talk utter **** in both of them, what other similarities are there?

Pointlessly raking over the coals of something that's done and dusted.

4 hours ago, Herman said:

I'm sure Mervyn King has been wrong about everything.

Prof David Blanchflower told LBC radio: “I don’t think Mervyn King is a credible source on this.

“If you look back, there are three huge mistakes he made. First, he was the governor of the Bank of England who never spotted that Northern Rock was going to fail. He was in charge when the biggest recession in 300 years came. Then RBS failed in September 2008 and he had no idea that was happening.

“In 2010, he advised the government that austerity ought to be really good for growth, and that turned out to be a disaster. I don’t think he is a credible source on any of that and we shouldn’t believe in what he says in terms of his forecasts.”

Yeah, someone calling a former governor of the bank of England 'not a credible source' is clearly a deluded clown in his own right.

Northern rocks failure was not something in the bank of England's gift to prevent. You need to look to the policies of the then Labour government for that.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

6 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yeah, someone calling a former governor of the bank of England 'not a credible source' is clearly a deluded clown in his own right.

Northern rocks failure was not something in the bank of England's gift to prevent. You need to look to the policies of the then Labour government for that.

Not a credible source and clearly a blithering idiot.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/29/uk-should-leave-eu-with-no-deal-says-former-bank-of-england-governor

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Oh dear, that didn't age well😂

Saying the costs to the economy would depend on how well-prepared the country was for leaving without a deal, he said there could be some “short-run dislocation costs”, but added: “The more wild, exaggerated view that somehow we’re going to have queues of lorries on the M20 for five years or more is pretty absurd.”

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'm sorry, but that's pretty sycophantic and naive in the context of today's society. We're almost as far from a meritocracy as it's possible to be, so "he held a senior position so must be credible" is an argument that holds no water at all.

Look at who we just had as Prime Minister.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm sorry, but that's pretty sycophantic and naive in the context of today's society. We're almost as far from a meritocracy as it's possible to be, so "he held a senior position so must be credible" is an argument that holds no water at all.

Look at who we just had as Prime Minister.

Mervyn King's dad was a railway porter turned Geography teacher. King is a graduate of Cambridge and Harvard... To claim he went onto Cambridge and Harvard then the BoE on nepotism seems a bit outlandish.

9 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

You need to stop being so stupid.

19 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

You need to f*k off. Why do you keep doing this? I don't need validation from you. You're nothing to me. Just some tiresome anonymous tw4t who keeps saying I'm stupid.

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

Danny Blanchflower Packets free in Shredded Wheat cereal

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

Mervyn  King was a good dart player though. 

All that subtraction from 501 stood him in good stead for his next job.

He was until that fateful day when Merv threw his first two darts and got 20, treble twenty. His third dart hit the wire, flew into the audience and got Sisdter Mary Joseph in the eye and killed her.

The scorer shouted "One Nun dead and Eighty".

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

And by the way, the biggest merger that caused the biggest bailout was on Gordon Brown. The biggest joke was the criticism of Mervyn King over the financial crisis is because he resisted the Labour governments idea of fixing the problems created by bank mergers with the BoE lending more money for another bank merger, specifically the BoE lending money to let another bank buy Northern Rock.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/sep/18/gordonbrown.hbosbusiness

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

You need to f*k off. Why do you keep doing this? I don't need validation from you. You're nothing to me. Just some tiresome anonymous tw4t who keeps saying I'm stupid.

He does have a point, to be fair.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Being 'nothing' to a stupid person isn't the devastating blow you think it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Being 'nothing' to a stupid person isn't the devastating blow you think it is.

That's because you're stupid.

50 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Grifter, Shyster, Brexiter.

It all he's got left. Busted washed up bore.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Can I add fifth column ****o to the list? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I suspect that the vast majority of brits haven't given his name a thought in many months.

It's only the dogged old fighters in the trenches on either side that resurrect the corpse from time to time. It's a bit like the people that every so often feel the need to remind a disinterested public that there is something called GB news on sky channel 75826 that we shouldn't watch (even though we had no thought of doing so until we saw the message).

Seeing this though it does make me glad that we have two really boring leaders fighting it out. It makes me hopeful that the election will be fact and analysis heavy rather than a charisma contest. 

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

I suspect that the vast majority of brits haven't given his name a thought in many months.

It's only the dogged old fighters in the trenches on either side that resurrect the corpse from time to time. It's a bit like the people that every so often feel the need to remind a disinterested public that there is something called GB news on sky channel 75826 that we shouldn't watch (even though we had no thought of doing so until we saw the message).

Seeing this though it does make me glad that we have two really boring leaders fighting it out. It makes me hopeful that the election will be fact and analysis heavy rather than a charisma contest. 

I take it you haven't been paying attention to the people Sunak has given prominent jobs to? Nor his own brand of duplicity? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

I take it you haven't been paying attention to the people Sunak has given prominent jobs to? Nor his own brand of duplicity? 

Not particularly.  Did you mean to quote the bit about nigel farage as I'm not sure what the connection would be?