Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

23 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The 27 will give up their sovereignty and become one superstate handing all decisions over to the unelected in Brussels. In the fullness of time, after the current teething troubles have passed, the electorate will realise what a good call we made to leave.

Project Oh Dear. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The UK started the accession process for CPTPP in June and is aiming to complete accession by the end of 2022, so this statement will only be true for a relatively short period of time in the grand scheme of things. 

'The UK government has not produced an impact assessment that explains or quantifies the benefits it expects for the UK economy from accession to CPTPP. As such, it is a matter of dispute in UK as to whether accession is worth pursuing for economic reasons.[91] Farmer, environmental and consumer groups have all raised concerns that the UK government will need to agree to lowering standards on pesticides, pig welfare and food labelling.'

The EU Parliament is elected as are the EU commission and the EU council. Bodies I doubt our resident cretin knows the difference between. Unlike the unelected House of Lords. The UK will still be subject to the rulings of the ECJ for quite a while. As contracts drawn up before it left, will need to be ruled on, if a case arises. The UK is also subject to other international courts, regarding contract disputes. Just as if a sailor leaves the navy and so removes himself from Courts Martial. It does not mean that he is not subject to criminal or civil law.  Perhaps there is a special case in this instance. A special needs case.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The 27 will give up their sovereignty and become one superstate handing all decisions over to the unelected in Brussels. In the fullness of time, after the current teething troubles have passed, the electorate will realise what a good call we made to leave.

Where did you copy and paste that from please?

41 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Everybody hates the French

They don’t though, do they? I can’t say I ever find myself thinking I hate the French. Most people have better things to spend their time doing. Maybe get a hobby?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a vision of SC stood outside shouting at those going inside. Be like me, an independent supporter. Not like you, paying to be told where to sit. Told which way to face. Told when you can go to the toilet. Told when you can get a cup of tea. I am free to stand outside any ground I wish. And listen to the crowd. What benefits do you get? Stop paying, and be free.

6 minutes ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

They don’t though, do they? I can’t say I ever find myself thinking I hate the French. Most people have better things to spend their time doing. Maybe get a hobby?

This is his hobby.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

There must be several NCFC players, past and present, that you have detested then. Must really get to you when a foreigner (especially French) pulls on a NCFC shirt. Do you boo when Lees-Melou has the ball?

34 minutes ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

There is an old saying - If the English didn't have the French, and French didn't have the English they'd have to invent each other.

More to the point -  I have many French and wider European friends - I love all the rivalries and petty jibes between the nations but at the end of the day we all know its just that (apart from the football). Too many silly wars that we've all grown up from (well some of us). 

My favourite joke is a jibe between Norway and Sweden -

Norwegian Professor (was actually the PM I think) takes up a position in Sweden - "When I go to Sweden the average IQ of both countries will rise"!

My Swedish friends grimace and laugh.

There are endless such jokes between all the European countries (and indeed regions).

As to the French I wonder if SC, possibly a navy man, recalls how the French (not the Yanks) helped us in the Falklands - when it really really, life and death, mattered - see any of the memoirs (John Knott for instance 'Exocet)'. It was close to me at the time as I had worked on Seawolf and the panic money no object that ensued in 'reoptimizing' for such targets (for which it hadn't been originally designed). 

2 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

In just those four words you've shown everyone on this thread what you're about. You are someone who argues a case well (even if I don't agree with much that you say...you do at least support your statements). To simply state what you have done completely takes away any credibility. Zero respect from me for that statement. Amazing that you can hold such a view in 2021.

By the way we have two French people on our street. Lovely human beings....arguably the nicest people on the whole (very Yorkshire) street. I have contact with quite a few people living in France (who are French...I speak French passingly and read French every week so I am in touch with the news there). So, don't include me in your statement but please, please add me to your list of people you hate. Because for sure I wouldn't want to be associated with someone with a view like that.

Pathetic. Start to educate yourself instead of passing comments like that. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Do people really expect cooperation from EU countries when we spent so long slagging them off?

Exactly and don’t forget the childish antics of Farage and his friends sitting in the EU Parliament heckling the speakers and turning their backs on the speakers with such disrespect I’m sure the EU we’re happy to see the back of them……my relatives in the Czech Republic couldn’t believe how a great a respected country could lose face so quickly?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Indy said:

Exactly and don’t forget the childish antics of Farage and his friends sitting in the EU Parliament heckling the speakers and turning their backs on the speakers with such disrespect I’m sure the EU we’re happy to see the back of them……my relatives in the Czech Republic couldn’t believe how a great a respected country could lose face so quickly?

These Brexiteer antics are in truth just our own 'dirty' washing - people we didn't really want the world to see in public.

They have forever destroyed the notions of a British 'Gentleman', fair-play  or 'our word is our bond' overseas (and I'm talking about Asia).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Do people really expect cooperation from EU countries when we spent so long slagging them off?

It is more a case of no longer being a member, no longer getting the benefits of EU membership.  One being the Dublin accord. Whereby migrants could be returned.  We have lost around 1 million EU workers.  26,000 migrants. Just go through these migrants and see how many can drive a lorry, process veg or work in a warehouse. Most likely far more than those red wall brexiteers who won't take the jobs.

7 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

These Brexiteer antics are in truth just our own 'dirty' washing - people we didn't really want the world to see in public.

They have forever destroyed the notions of a British 'Gentleman', fair-play  or 'our word is our bond' overseas (and I'm talking about Asia).

"Brexiteer antics"....Came across this definition recently and thought it was very appropriate.

yet...there are still people about though who don't want to look outwards.

IMG_20211127_110034.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

SwindonCanary has absolutely no idea why he hates the EU. He wouldn’t be able to explain it. He’s been brainwashed.

have I not put up enough reasons ?

6 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Yet another remark so off base that it really needs no other comment than - have you ever lived in Europe? No. I thought not…. 

…. are you one of the 18% of Britons who think Brexit is going well, despite all the evidence? 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, sonyc said:

In just those four words you've shown everyone on this thread what you're about. You are someone who argues a case well (even if I don't agree with much that you say...you do at least support your statements). To simply state what you have done completely takes away any credibility. Zero respect from me for that statement. Amazing that you can hold such a view in 2021.

By the way we have two French people on our street. Lovely human beings....arguably the nicest people on the whole (very Yorkshire) street. I have contact with quite a few people living in France (who are French...I speak French passingly and read French every week so I am in touch with the news there). So, don't include me in your statement but please, please add me to your list of people you hate. Because for sure I wouldn't want to be associated with someone with a view like that.

Pathetic. Start to educate yourself instead of passing comments like that. 

Oh for crying out loud, there’s a sense of humour bypass on this board isn’t there. You can go off on a rant like that from a jokey throwaway comment? It must be exhausting being that permanently offended on other people’s behalf.

For what it’s worth I don’t hate the French, I’ve drank with plenty of them during my younger years and most are a good laugh, tell them everybody hates the French and the reply is usually something along the lines of almost as much as the English. A sizeable minority certainly didn’t do much to dispel their reputation for arrogance though I found. 

Why do you despise friendly national rivalries so much? Have you never made a joke to a foreign person about their country and it’s stereotypes, or received one in return? If so I feel sorry for you, being so worried about trying to appear cosmopolitan you’re too scared to have a laugh 

Have you never made a joke to a foreign person about their country and it’s stereotypes, or received one in return? If so I feel sorry for you, being so worried about trying to appear cosmopolitan you’re too scared to have a laugh

No, I can't say I have. I have always respected other people (whoever they are irrespective of politics, gender etc....race and nationality included)....just because they are individuals.

Why would I joke to someone about their country of origin? I don't even think it's funny. Not much of a joke is it? And it's the thin end of a wedge.

There's always more in common between two people than what differentiates them. Circumstances blind people to the latter though. Hence you get some responses even on this thread about the Welsh, the French etc. 

I'm not worried about trying to appear anything. Again why would I? I reckon I have very little personality, being a very quiet person. It just wouldn't pass through my mind to say I hated anyone let alone where they came from. I worked with many Pakistani people living in Bradford for over 40 years. I think it would have been a disaster personally had I have made such responses as yours about the French. 

I've met many Tory MPs and spent good levels of one to one time in my former jobs. I don't agree at all with their politics but I was always respectful. 

I don't think I need to apologise for being too scared to laugh about nationality. It just hasn't crossed my mind. The bigger issue for me is just ignoring stuff.....which is what I now have decided to call out. But no doubt I'm "woke" or a "snowflake". Folk love labels don't they? They love to categorise. Even a whole country! The Daily Mail does it. Just look at their headlines over the years (seriously - check them out).

Who decides what you've said is funny? Maybe stand in front of your shaving mirror each morning and look at yourself and say out loud (or think it) that you hate the French and see how long it takes before you think "ah maybe that's not such a good joke".

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Have you never made a joke to a foreign person about their country and it’s stereotypes, or received one in return? If so I feel sorry for you, being so worried about trying to appear cosmopolitan you’re too scared to have a laugh

No, I can't say I have. I have always respected other people (whoever they are irrespective of politics, gender etc....race and nationality included)....just because they are individuals.

Why would I joke to someone about their country of origin? I don't even think it's funny. Not much of a joke is it? And it's the thin end of a wedge.

There's always more in common between two people than what differentiates them. Circumstances blind people to the latter though. Hence you get some responses even on this thread about the Welsh, the French etc. 

I'm not worried about trying to appear anything. Again why would I? I reckon I have very little personality, being a very quiet person. It just wouldn't pass through my mind to say I hated anyone let alone where they came from. I worked with many Pakistani people living in Bradford for over 40 years. I think it would have been a disaster personally had I have made such responses as yours about the French. 

I've met many Tory MPs and spent good levels of one to one time in my former jobs. I don't agree at all with their politics but I was always respectful. 

I don't think I need to apologise for being too scared to laugh about nationality. It just hasn't crossed my mind. The bigger issue for me is just ignoring stuff.....which is what I now have decided to call out. But no doubt I'm "woke" or a "snowflake". Folk love labels don't they? They love to categorise. Even a whole country! The Daily Mail does it. Just look at their headlines over the years (seriously - check them out).

Who decides what you've said is funny? Maybe stand in front of your shaving mirror each morning and look at yourself and say out loud (or think it) that you hate the French and see how long it takes before you think "ah maybe that's not such a good joke".

Why are jokes about somebody’s country out of bounds between friends? Living and working abroad you get it on the neck constantly for being English, was I supposed to have been permanently offended rather than taking it as good natured as it was intended? If somebody genuinely got offended obviously you wouldn’t do it again, but I can’t think of many instances where that happened. Most people are smart enough to know the difference between somebody trying to make a joke and somebody being nasty.

What subjects should and shouldn’t be allowed to be joked about? Can you joke about somebody’s height, weight, baldness or intelligence? Can you rib them for being northern or a Londoner? If it’s done between friends as a back and forth why are certain subjects out of bounds? 

No I gave up my season ticket a couple of seasons ago.  I now have to pick my games, next one is Villa, I tend to go to more away games than home now.

No wonder that we have stupid people like Swindon when a government minister is able to lie like this without being challenged.

"more than any other country in Europe" is a disgusting lie.

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

No wonder that we have stupid people like Swindon when a government minister is able to lie like this without being challenged.

"more than any other country in Europe" is a disgusting lie.

We live in very strange times when a cabinet minister speaks a blatant lie that is so easily and instantly disproved by the examination of readily available independent statistics. They have simply given up on even pretending to be concerned with the truth, and that is fundamentally an attack on our democratic principles, and a massive display of contempt for UK voters.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

We live in very strange times when a cabinet minister speaks a blatant lie that is so easily and instantly disproved by the examination of readily available independent statistics. They have simply given up on even pretending to be concerned with the truth, and that is fundamentally an attack on our democratic principles, and a massive display of contempt for UK voters.

Indeed Jarvis this morning ( and I have no idea of the facts ). “ We have the best booster roll out in the world, second only to America ‘. In addition to that misleading statement I would point out we found out because of Israel’s booster programme.

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Indeed Jarvis this morning ( and I have no idea of the facts ). “ We have the best booster roll out in the world, second only to America ‘. In addition to that misleading statement I would point out we found out because of Israel’s booster programme.

That is brilliant, almost cringeworthy! Best roll out in the world, SECOND only to America! That alone deserves a good laugh at this utterly self centred government, only there to gain as much as they can till they get kicked out next election!