Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

On 22/11/2021 at 17:42, sonyc said:

Brexit Britain or post Covid Britain? You decide😅

Or ..an opportunity for some baby boomers?

The funny thing is, I am very fortunate to be self-employed in a profession (translation) where, as long as my faculties work, I don't have to retire and indeed do not want to either. Also, with increasing life expectancies, lower birth rates, and therefore increased welfare spending, this is a logical side-effect both with or indeed without Brexit.

It's not much fun for those in their late fifties/early sixties who were essentially sold a pup when it comes to pension provision though.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

The transition period ended at the end of 2020 and we haven't even finished the CPTPP accession process yet. To say 'Brexit isn't working' 11 months later because trade with the EU is down when everybody knew it would be is just plain stupid. 

29 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The transition period ended at the end of 2020 and we haven't even finished the CPTPP accession process yet. To say 'Brexit isn't working' 11 months later because trade with the EU is down when everybody knew it would be is just plain stupid. 

How long do we give it then?

36 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

So is the Office for Budget  Responsibility "just plain stupid" when they predict that Brexit will cost the country 4% of GDP (circa £80bn a year) for the foreseeable future? Perhaps that's another report you need to read. 

24 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

No. Thats just a lie. We were assured of sunny uplands. 40 new deals on day one. No threat to access to the Single Market or Customs Union. If not, I will refresh your memory about the form filling. Before that lets look at what we were told

'Within two years, before the negotiation with the EU is likely to be complete, and therefore before anything material has changed, we can negotiate a free trade area massively larger than the EU. David Davis

'The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.'  Liam Fox

'British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down'  Boris Johnson.

That was all lies, wasn't it. The reality is that this is not some short term hurt. But a long term loss of trade and business. A slow puncture. That will continue the UK's downward spiral.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Not another UK government climb down. The divorce payments, customs checks on incoming freight, huge number of visas for foreign workers. Don't bark unless you can bite. Goes the old saying.  The French won more concessions over fishing licenses. Now look set to win more. Thanks for highlighting that SC.

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

'British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down'  Boris Johnson.

Enough said. 

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

When I voted leave I was promised, not told that we would see the benefits from day 1, clearly I was lied to by Farage and Johnson to obtain my vote. 

20 minutes ago, Well b back said:

When I voted leave I was promised, not told that we would see the benefits from day 1, clearly I was lied to by Farage and Johnson to obtain my vote. 

Personally I voted remain, partly on account of living in France and partly because the exit process ensured we'd be losing a lot before there was any chance to develop opportunies elsewhere, whether or not they could ever compensate for leaving the EU. 

Nigel Farage isn't in any position of power to make any promises and Johnson will likely be gone before the next election. Chalk it up as a lesson that your vote does matter and to not believe what politicians tell you without looking into it for yourself. 

We've left and we are where we are so make the best of it. Caveat emptor. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Chalk it up as a lesson that your vote does matter and to not believe what politicians tell you without looking into it for yourself.

A large number did look it up and knew what they were voting for. A shame others trusted known liars.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RobJames said:

A large number did look it up and knew what they were voting for. A shame others trusted known liars.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve - George Bernard Shaw. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Countryfile is a depressing watch tonight. At least 16,000 pigs culled and at least 40 pig farms have gone out of business. Nice one brexiteers!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Countryfile is a depressing watch tonight. At least 16,000 pigs culled and at least 40 pig farms have gone out of business. Nice one brexiteers!

Brexit thickos like Swindo and Fen Canary couldn’t give a toss about these sort of people though mate. As long as they’ve got their Brexit “win”, who cares if families are losing their livelihoods. Hopefully it’ll help to liven up their sad and bitter lives. With their lack of empathy and no interest in anyone but themselves, they make perfect Tories.

Edited by (Hoola)Han Solo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Why are jokes about somebody’s country out of bounds between friends? Living and working abroad you get it on the neck constantly for being English, was I supposed to have been permanently offended rather than taking it as good natured as it was intended? If somebody genuinely got offended obviously you wouldn’t do it again, but I can’t think of many instances where that happened. Most people are smart enough to know the difference between somebody trying to make a joke and somebody being nasty.

What subjects should and shouldn’t be allowed to be joked about? Can you joke about somebody’s height, weight, baldness or intelligence? Can you rib them for being northern or a Londoner? If it’s done between friends as a back and forth why are certain subjects out of bounds? 

I don't 

And if you were joking about the French, you could've used a smiley. The  written word is open to misinterpretation 

I'm interested in what (presumably  construction?) work you did abroad, and where, if you would like to share 🙂

3 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I don't 

And if you were joking about the French, you could've used a smiley. The  written word is open to misinterpretation 

I'm interested in what (presumably  construction?) work you did abroad, and where, if you would like to share 🙂

He must be working the night shift.

Oh dear!

London rivals abandon hope of post-Brexit City exodus

London's financial crown intact despite Europe's attempts to lure workers overseas in aftermath of vote

ByTom Rees and Russell Lynch, ECONOMICS EDITOR29 November 2021 • 6:00am

Europe's financial centres have given up hope of triggering an exodus of companies and jobs away from London in the wake of Brexit.

The head of Luxembourg's government finance agency said relocations from the City are “basically over” with London’s crown as Europe’s financial services capital intact.

Nicolas Mackel, chief executive of Luxembourg for Finance, said: “It's obvious London is and will remain Europe's most important financial services industry."

Oh dear!!

Nissan plans to use its Sunderland factory as a blueprint for an $18bn (£13bn) push aimed at dominating the global electric car market.The Japanese company plans 15 new electric models by 2030 with EVs accounting for half its global output by then.Ashwani Gupta, Nissan chief operating officer, said Sunderland would be at the forefront of its plans.“Europe will take the lead on electrification around the world for Nissan. In Europe, Sunderland is the one which will take the lead towards electrification,” he said.Nissan expects three-quarters of its European sales to be electric by 2026, followed by Japan at 55pc.

Oh dear!!!

Ireland's elites face a reckoning as Brussels demands higher taxes

Over 700 US multinationals, including Apple, Microsoft, Google and Facebook have subsequently established regional headquarters for Europe and beyond in Ireland. But on the Continent, without the UK to kick around any more, resentment is now focusing on Dublin. “The Frenchman in the street calls Ireland a ‘paradis fiscale’,” one business journalist tells me. “Which, if true, is also true of France and the UK. It’s just it's done in different ways.”

In 2016, the European Commission imposed a €13bn (£11bn) fine – which in classic Brussels doublespeak it insists is not a fine – on the Irish tax authorities for two deals allowing Apple to minimise its payments.

Both Ireland and Apple continue to contest the decision. The tide of “inversions” - by which large multinationals formally switched their headquarters to Dublin - seems to have abated and most UK switchers have reverted back. But Ireland has reluctantly had to yield ground to the “tax justice movement”, the NGO blob making demands that elected politicians seem unable to resist.

Oh dear!!!!

'German inflation hits post-reunification high

Shocking' leap in consumer prices piles pressure on ECB to delay stimulus tapering

Prices in Germany are surging at their fastest pace since reunification, threatening to reignite tensions at the European Central Bank (ECB).

German inflation jumped to 5.2pc in November, up from 4.5pc the previous month, as energy bills rocket and firms pass on higher costs from supply chain chaos.

Meanwhile, the omicron variant has cast doubt over the ECB's plans to rein in its stimulus programme, despite rising prices.

The “shocking” annual rise in Germany marks the strongest inflationary pressure since 1992 when the economy was adjusting to reunification. Inflation in Spain has also picked up to its highest rate in three decades with prices climbing 5.6pc year-on-year.

• Haha 2