Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report the AGM 2018

i expect it will come as no surprise to anyone that there was a big turnout tonight and that the Principals received an ovation upon entering the room. I was hoping for a burst of the Daniel Farke Rap but it didn't happen.:classic_biggrin:

We kicked off with a welcome from Ed Balls and the introduction of Ben Dack who presided over the resolutions that saw Mr. Balls and Tom Smith re-elcted to the Board.

Then a brief run through of the financial statement, which I am sure everyone is familiar with by now. A couple of points I picked up on were the expected loss next year of over £5 million and the budgeted drop in players wages from £49.6 million to £33.1 million. There was also some talk about the loss due to impairment of contracts (presumably Jarvis etc) and the tax payment of £10 million. Mr. Dack said some of this would be clawed back due to losses in future seasons.

Ben Kensall gave us a run down on the new set up and explained the rolls and responsibilities of himself, Zoe and Stuart Webber. There seemed to be some good news on the expansion of commercial partners from 8 to 36 and expectations that the stadium would be used for more concerts and events in the future. Then we watched a promotional video displaying the clubs work in the community and the values to which the club was committed. I have to comment here in all seriousness that we should all be proud that the club we love and support is involved in this valuable work. (Hats off to Delia and Michael).

Question Time

We had about twenty questions so I will just give a summary of the pick of them.

The Sky Sports deal

All clubs had agreed them although there was some disquiet over various points, some of which were shared by NCFC. (nothing much given away there)

The Payment for tax advice?

We were assured that this more than paid for itself in the tax that was saved

Financial Fair Play?

The club wanted to play by the rules and opposed any weakening of the those rules.

Webbers and Farkes contracts?

Ed Balls said its all in hand

Money to spend in January?

Webber not keen but depending upon injuries etc it could change, fairly satisfied with what we have.

Jordan Rhodes on a permanent?

Webber non committal

Keeping Tim Klose?

Webber again non committal, never say never but hope he stays.

Another Bond or share issue/

Zoe, in our thoughts if needed.

Safe Standing?

Balls supported it but would cost the club money, no increase in gates.

Did Southampton approach Webber?

from the horses mouth, no. Ambitious and at some stage hopes to work in europe,. Nothing on the immediate horizon.

Thats about it apart from ongoing work for Wes's testimonial and a recognition for Russel Martins ten years at the club. Oh, and it looks like Buendia or Leitner will be taking the next penalty.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ricardo.

Surprised re Klose & Rhodes but perhaps they have other targets in view (as they did with Buendia).

I assume the community involvement included CSF and agree entirely that the club's work and values are things to treasure.

1 minute ago, wooster said:

Thanks Ricardo.

Surprised re Klose & Rhodes but perhaps they have other targets in view (as they did with Buendia).

I assume the community involvement included CSF and agree entirely that the club's work and values are things to treasure.

Webber was complimentary about both players attitudes but quite noticeably he keeps his cards close to his chest. I expect Tim will stay. Rhodes next season? maybe.

5 minutes ago, Ray said:

Thanks Ricardo, much appreciated as in sunnier climes currently.

Enjoy the sun Ray

Its blummin parky here

Thanks Ricardo, interesting read.

Interesting that Webber indicated, if my reading between the lines is right, that he sees his immediate future with Norwich despite being ambitious. This of course might be partially down to getting the right work life balance at the moment as I believe Zoe and he now have a young family.

Also picked up from some of the tweets that Timm Klose appears to have a genuine affection for the club and fans which is really good news, and continues to demonstrate that our club is something special.

Ricardo, was anything mentioned 're falling attendances and lack of waiting list for season tickets??

Largely uninspiring and lacking any real ambition 

oh for a board with real intent rather than just getting by

another missed opportunity to move the club in a positive direction 

delia out 

3 minutes ago, River End Canary said:

Largely uninspiring and lacking any real ambition 

oh for a board with real intent rather than just getting by

another missed opportunity to move the club in a positive direction 

delia out 

Yes, no Reeves no future. I was a bit miffed to find theyd sold Ron Davies😁

Ricardo, 21,000 sold or 21,000 available for sale? Should we go up I guess we may be sold out again??

I guess the fact we issued half season tickets can only mean we didn't sell the full allocation but given it's a whole lot more entertaining at the moment, and we keep it up, then next season we will be fully sold out and possibly back to a waiting list?

More importantly I think we are all glad you get home safely

I was a bit concerned when Lappsidasical suggested you go in your thermals and wooly hat. Hopefully you had some outer garments on as well.

The sense I got from the Pinkun report is that it is all in hand, supporters should expect players to move on as will others at some point bt the 'project' is working as planned.

And aside from the AGM if the next decade is half as much 'fun' as the previous decade then we have much to look forward to

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So safe standing will cost us money to implement ? what a surprise.

I don’t think there’s any doubt it would cost us to rip up the seats and replace them with the appropriate barriers. The questions are whether the increased capacity would result in increased attendance, and if so, how long it would take to get the spend back - and thereafter be in profit.

It's still a good idea though and quite popular. If we can help push it through at least we'll have the option to do it. 

57 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's still a good idea though and quite popular. If we can help push it through at least we'll have the option to do it. 

It may be popular with some but will they be prepered to pay for it? I remain skeptical that we will see it at CR anytime soon.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It may be popular with some but will they be prepered to pay for it? I remain skeptical that we will see it at CR anytime soon.

If there is no increase in capacity (and I can never quite workout why) then what's the point?

Seating might not suit some and may be inconvenient at times with people standing up in any case but in the end it is far more civilised at an event in the 21st. Century. Standing around for two hours is hardly ideal.

Those who propose it seem to yearn back to days gone by with vast swaying, singing crowds creating an atmosphere long since forgotten and unlikely to be experienced again in any event.

By comparison, these new proposals do seem to present a rather over cautious, anaesthetised scenario which will hardly make much difference, except that supporters will be without the opportunity to rest their legs occasionally.

Now if safe standing did in some way result in an increased capacity then that's a vastly different matter and I'm all for.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

All a bit wishy,washy with no ambition.

The club is akin to a middle aged guy who feels he's gone as far as he can in life and is happy to sit every evening watching soaps with his pipe and slippers. I suppose we should expect it given the fact the club is run by an elderly couple and their TV wannabe clown friend.

I'm surprised they are not holding a short religious service before every game yet.:classic_biggrin:  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

So safe standing will cost us money to implement ? what a surprise.

Like you I’m really surprised they haven’t found a contractor that would do it for nothing 😜