Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

7 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Ah, I never thought about putting another record underneath! I haven’t got the flexidisc version.

My brother painted the pig with a stereo on the back of an Italian flak jacket that I used to wear in the early 80s. I had round glasses just like Baz and as we were leaving a Farmer’s Boys gig in London with the jacket and glasses on, someone mistook me for Baz!

Well worth a listen and some really interesting stuff mentioned about major label politics.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2wXftwzCKWEbJ4AzO8MfRg?si=eZm8FBiqRZ-6iKnEb22leg

On 27/11/2021 at 16:35, KernowCanary said:

🤣🤣🤣, great stuff!🤣🤣🤣. Am guessing that was at the old Hammersmith Palais that gig was?.

There’s still a few things I have missing like the 12” of Muck it Out, In the Country and Phew Wow also on that same format.

Yes, I saw them at The Palais with The Higsons, Seruous Drinking and Popular Voice but this was at The Boston Arms with Helen and the Horns, Strawberry Switchblade were in the audience. Ticket attached.

i certainly haven’t got everything they ever did on all formats and probably won’t bother but I have got the 12” Muck It Out.

03AEDD7F-3BC0-4C74-B340-DE3AFF0845DF.jpeg

Edited by Mr Angry
Forgot to add photo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Well worth a listen and some really interesting stuff mentioned about major label politics.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2wXftwzCKWEbJ4AzO8MfRg?si=eZm8FBiqRZ-6iKnEb22leg

Thanks for that, a very interesting interview-lots of things I didn’t know before. They were my favourite band in 82/83-still got my Fan Club membership card, think I was number 8!-and they always looked like they were enjoying themselves-sounds like Mark thinks they didn’t take it seriously enough.

• Like 1

In all their videos they never looked like taking themselves seriously and that’s one of the things I really like about them.

The two albums were released on CD, but are out of print now but do have the vinyl albums.

Same here really, I’m just after the songs in their various versions, rather than the actual releases. I only have Muck it Out 12” mix on the Get Out and Walk “bonus single”, so won’t bother with the 12” release of the single. Same with Apparently, I only have the 12” of that and won’t get the 7” as the material on that is on the 12” with a bonus “Big Version” on the A side.

The picture discs are a different kettle of fish due to their novelty, while I was lucky to get Phew Wow on 7” with a “Win Stan’s Mini” competition card 🤣🤣🤣. Wasn’t so lucky with In the Country though, as I didn’t get a “Joy of Cress” postcard with mine!. A fair few people who have heard it, have compared Belle and Sebastian’s “Wrapped Up in Books” to it.

Do love those old school gig tickets and Strawberry Switchblade were excellent.

Excellent podcast that, interesting to hear how EMI were the wrong label for them and they kept urging them to sign The Smiths.

Edited by KernowCanary

You might have lost more had you posted this say in the mid -1990s Purple but Abba's star has been rising for some time now (for the good reason that Bjorn and Benny could write very decent songs....get one of their music tabulations and even at a chord level many songs are quite complex and yet sound so simple on the surface).

Alison Krauss has a lovely voice too. 

Forgiven therefore by me.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 06:21, Herman said:

So looking forward to seeing that Get Back! documentary.

The clips I've seen so far give such an amazing glimpse. 

• Like 1

On 22/11/2021 at 19:30, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Somehow this just reminded me of a decade earlier HIWEM. I'm sure you'll know it.

• Like 2

This popped up on Craig Charles yesterday. Post punk/gothy with a good riff that has a hint of Maiden to it.

• Like 1

Biffy Clyro’s streaming gig at the Barrowlands Ballroom from last year. It was on BBC Four last night.

With the subtitles on, there are so many lines I’ve misheard all this time of listening to the album.

”I’ve been punching Rainbows since ‘79”, how about “I’ve been punching rainbows since 2020”?, all the more fitting really but I guess the line is “Hope symbol in peoples windows during the lockdown” related, seeing the music videos for the singles were recorded in lockdown.

Edit: Nothing wrong with ABBA, Voyage is a brilliant album although the second track is too Christmas Cheese for my liking.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 1

On 28/07/2021 at 10:24, Mr Apples said:

Wet Leg - Chaise Longue, getting played to death on BBC 6 music. 

Apples

Just when you thought you were safe,this song is in a few top ten of the year lists.

40 minutes ago, Herman said:

Just when you thought you were safe,this song is in a few top ten of the year lists.

Wet leg are playing at the Arts Centre next year, sold out already.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Wet leg are playing at the Arts Centre next year, sold out already.

What happens if they are only capable of one good song?!😀

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

What happens if they are only capable of one good song?!😀

I remember going to see Everything But The Girl in the early 80’s. They only had about ten songs and played Each and Every One twice as they didn’t have anything else 😁

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

What happens if they are only capable of one good song?!

You haven't had a Wet Dream yet then? 🤭😝

Apples

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

You haven't had a Wet Dream yet then? 🤭😝

Apples

I've just had a quick youtube and they're knocking out a few more. Not Chaise Longue type bangers but not bad.

• Like 1

An afternoon ironing BUT I've had the chance of listening yet again to my favourite LP!....wanted to ask if anyone else has the album The Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus in their top 10 of best ever albums?

It came out in 1971 and the music cuts across so many genres all on an LP, jazz, psychedelia, rock, classical..... Not one bad song on it. Love to know if there is one or maybe two other fans in Pinkun land?

If you've not heard it DO from the start to end. I just checked it out reviews from a few music sites and I'm pleased I'm not just saying this alone.

Anyway, I wanted to share a few of the songs here. Really hope my selection doesn't put people off but inspires some exploration. There are rockier versions I might have included. All on YouTube and streaming services of course.

I've followed Spirit and careers of band members for decades (Cassidy and California) but will not go on here. 

The first listed here is famous (arguably their most) so had to include. The message is relevant 50 years on. 

Edit. I have to be careful apparently... because Mrs S has just said I might be veering into Creme Brulé territory (for those who know the League of Gentlemen reference 😅)

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 1

Fake Turin’s - local band to me anyways …. A bit Talking Heads and a bit U2. BBC Sussex plugging them - decent musicians and a quirky frontman

13 hours ago, Herman said:

David Byrne meets Chris Sutton with a hint of Jarvis thrown in to the mix.👍

So you enjoyed - on this dry old thread ?

It not too bad Foxy, especially the last couple of minutes when it really gets going.👍