Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Gimme Shelter, for the people of Israel and Palestine.  One of the best intros ever, and Delia's cake on the album cover!

Ooh, a storm is threatening/My very life today/If I don't get some shelter/Ooh yeah, I'm gonna fade away

War, children/It's just a shot away/It's just a shot away

Ooh, see the fire is sweepin'/Our very streets today/Burns like a red coal carpet/Mad bull lost its way

Rape, murder, it's just a shot away, shot away, shot away . . . .

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 4

While I appear to be on the subject of songs for my funeral (Who Knows Where the Time Goes is perhaps a bit obvious)…

Went to see Peter Hook and The Light in Liverpool last night. They played the whole of the New Order ‘Substance’ album, then played the whole of the Joy Division ‘’Substance’ album. I prefer New Order and my wife prefers Joy Division so we were both happy!

Here’s one of each:

• Like 2

No one played drums quite like Charlie but because he wasn't flashy he's maybe underrated. 

Check out Elton John on piano. Shame about peado wyman on bass

Saw Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds in Glasgow last night. Great gig including some Cramps and Gun Club classics. 

The band turned up at the venue and walked through the crowd, tuned up themselves with barely a soundcheck and then played a blinding set until they were about to get kicked off stage at 10. 🫡😅

Apples

• Like 1

Went to see legendary jazz drummer, Billy Cobham, last night. An added bonus was seeing a 6-stringed bass in the wild for the first time. (I was just behind whoever did this video.)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Went to see legendary jazz drummer, Billy Cobham, last night. An added bonus was seeing a 6-stringed bass in the wild for the first time. (I was just behind whoever did this video.)

Stratus is one of the great pieces of modern jazz music.

• Like 2

Guardian gave a big review to Oxn (can't work out how to get the correct symbol for the 'O') who are an absolutely fascinating listen.

On 26/10/2023 at 17:48, Herman said:

Very jealous. Drumming legend. Saw him at The Talk 8-10 years ago. Much better than I'll ever be. Already left the uk. Grrrr

Even tho I find alot of modern jazz hard work. I prefer more melody rather than  cramming 3647i notes in a bar just because you can.  Live its a different thing though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, king canary said:

Guardian gave a big review to Oxn (can't work out how to get the correct symbol for the 'O') who are an absolutely fascinating listen.

Øxn 🙂

If you press and hold on a vowel, all the different options should come up 

8 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Very jealous. Drumming legend. Saw him at The Talk 8-10 years ago. Much better than I'll ever be. Already left the uk. Grrrr

Even tho I find alot of modern jazz hard work. I prefer more melody rather than  cramming 3647i notes in a bar just because you can.  Live its a different thing though. 

To be honest it's not my type of jazz. I prefer the more brassier style of sound but it's great to see these legends at work. And they inevitably have a high quality of musician backing them up. 

During lockdown I would go out into the garden and climb onto my turbo trainer and ride until I had listened to this album from start to finish. Of course I had gotten a bit sick of it after a few weeks and never played it again. But I have now and realsie what made me use this one to try and stay healthy. Not universally liked because of their use of technology whereas Kraftwerk were adored.

I dip in and out of this thread.

Cosmo's Factory is surely the album by which all others should be judged and sadly will ultimately fall short.   

It's perfect. 

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I dip in and out of this thread.

Cosmo's Factory is surely the album by which all others should be judged and sadly will ultimately fall short.   

It's perfect. 

Great and memorable album. I will see your choice and raise you with Can't Buy a Thrill.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Great and memorable album. I will see your choice and raise you with Can't Buy a Thrill.

I'll give it another listen but I suspect I'll still prefer Aja. Thank you for the reminder! 

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'll give it another listen but I suspect I'll still prefer Aja. Thank you for the reminder! 

I prefer their music before they became just a studio band. I know Fagen didn't like singing live so they brought in David Palmer but any band with Skunk Baxter and Denny Dias should play live.

• Like 1