Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Some interesting bits on 3's playlister this morning. Not ground breaking but a good listen nonetheless.

• Like 1

This was on R6 a few months ago to coincide with their new work (EBTG). Tracy Thorn is about 61/62 but she has not lost her voice.

• Thanks 2

And as it's Saint Dywnwen's Day today (the patron saint of lovers and celebrating love) I've been listening to Cerys Matthews' version of Calon Lân. Hardly a choir in Wales that doesn't sing this, let alone at the rugby (and often football). 

12 hours ago, sonyc said:

This was on R6 a few months ago to coincide with their new work (EBTG). Tracy Thorn is about 61/62 but she has not lost her voice.

An impressive piece of music with a superb vocal performance. 👌

Listened to her for the first time today on Jazz FM - she is destined certainly 

Listen to her Hold the Weight… thank the lord we still produce talent like this!

Edited by Foxy2600
  • Like 1

It’s the Les Paul and the way she makes it sing 

time out emoji

heart emoji

As it’s Saturday Night… imagine your in Jamaica on the beach enjoying a BBQ and some great football results 

• Like 1

Can't remember if I put this up but it's a standout from their record. And try chanting literary over and over without ballsing it up.

• Like 1

A couple of older classics I've been listening to - just the songwriting which tell stories.

• Like 2

The video for hurt saddens me every time. Trent reznor said it wasn't his song any more after he heard the cash version. Something like that.

Could be the best cover ever but that's a completely different debate!

Homer Simpson ruined Wichita lineman for me after he sand along to ot as the 'on hold' music Iman episode. Now I just think of a fat, bald, yellow guy when I hear it. Sorry Glen

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 02/02/2024 at 22:03, The Raptor said:

Homer Simpson ruined Wichita lineman for me after he sand along to ot as the 'on hold' music Iman episode. Now I just think of a fat, bald, yellow guy when I hear it. Sorry Glen

I am the linesman at Notts County

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I am the linesman at Notts County

Too much sadly departed Simon Mayo… I was in tears !! Although they still take the p!$$ on Greatest Hits

Dominic Frizzbee - that’s him

Edited by Foxy2600
Dominic Frizbee

On 25/01/2024 at 20:07, sonyc said:

I'm most of the way through Tracy's book, comes across that she's loved the singing and songwriting but never really liked the pop stars lifestyle. I saw EBTG at the UEA when their first album came out, when they did the encore the had to sing Each and Every One again as they'd run out of songs 😃

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 18:11, FenwayFrank said:

I'm most of the way through Tracy's book, comes across that she's loved the singing and songwriting but never really liked the pop stars lifestyle. I saw EBTG at the UEA when their first album came out, when they did the encore the had to sing Each and Every One again as they'd run out of songs 😃

Bedsit Disco Queen? She has written a few books. I have her BDQ. She's an honest sort. I like Ben Watt's output too (Kendra his more recent album is very decent). 

As for EBTG I think my favourite album is Love not Money. Some of the songs on it are so well crafted and the poppier stuff on it just sweeps along. Always a political message of caring for others which is all.teh better for the subtlety. More recently TT's stuff tends to be more family related (her children leaving home, getting old etc).

They are among a few bands that have just been around and gone along with my own life. Talking of which I've started writing and composing once again (I stopped in about 1991/1993 so only 30+ years later😄). Perhaps one day I might take a risk and share one or two tracks in these honourable pink un forum threads. Always shy of exposure but the older you get the less you are so worried I reckon.

• Like 2

A recent find for me. Fluid jazz piano at its best? It would raise anyone's mood I think (a whole load of Maj7 chords in it)

• Like 1

Sibelius is Composer of the Week on Radio 3 if anyone is interested. 

The ending of his 5th gets me every time. 

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

Two friends who I’ve been in bands with are playing in Norfolk in the near future.

First up, Knock Off are a street punk ( the genre formally known as OI!) band from Watford. They are doing a short 10th anniversary tour and they’ll be playing the B2 at the Brickmakers Arms on Sunday 10th March. Support comes from On The Huh and LOAD, two local bands (Norwich and Lowestoft respectively). Tickets available here: https://www.wegottickets.com/event/604658#

This is my favourite Knock Off song, played live.

Secondly, although it’s earlier than the Knock Off gig, Straighten Out, the world’s best Stranglers tribute band, are playing Yarmegeddon 12, the Legends Of Rock festival at the Vauxhall Holiday Park in Great Yarmouth. The festival runs from Thursday 29th February to Monday 4th March and Straighten Out play on the Saturday. Here they are playing my all time favourite Stranglers song. 

Edited by Mr Angry
Missed off a bracket
  • Like 1

I'd never heard this cover version. Like it.

And I stumbled across this album today. Count Basie with Oliver Nelson. Rather good.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 12:39, Herman said:

Sibelius is Composer of the Week on Radio 3 if anyone is interested. 

The ending of his 5th gets me every time. 

Karl Jenkins this week. Maybe worth trying out. 

On 02/02/2024 at 18:51, sonyc said:

A couple of older classics I've been listening to - just the songwriting which tell stories.

Apparently Glenn Campbell stood in for Brian Wilson on a Beach Boys tour and did vocals and played bass guitar. He was a session guitarist in his early days and even played on a Rolling Stones album. A man of many talents. 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 22:03, The Raptor said:

The video for hurt saddens me every time. Trent reznor said it wasn't his song any more after he heard the cash version. Something like that.

Could be the best cover ever but that's a completely different debate!

Definitely one of the best covers, he really made it his own. Bit like Jimi's version of Watchtower.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Herman said:

I'd never heard this cover version. Like it.

And I stumbled across this album today. Count Basie with Oliver Nelson. Rather good.

I like those. I bought the Oliver Nelson album when he was featured a few years ago on Radio 6 (Giles Peterson's section) - "Stolen Moments" which is lovely all the way through. I'm sure I must have posted the feature track in the past here. A great shame he died young.

Whilst I'm here I will add a video that made me smile. And something very different (French rap!....quick...run for the hills). Orelsan got a lot of flak a decade ago for his content and lyrics about women...it created a huge controversy though in the end the right to free speech by artists was the final (legal) opinion. He always claimed he was trying to be artistic but it's a dangerous line of course when you shock. I note his last album was best seller in the French charts in 2021 and 2022 and he's won awards. I follow a bit of French music.

This is a video with translated lyrics and it's his real shtick to be political, sometimes funny. Definitely worth a watch (from 2017).

• Thanks 1

I definitely heard Oliver Nelson on here first and was impressed. When I saw his name attached to this album I thought it should be worth a risk and so far, so good.👍