Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

On 16/11/2023 at 13:02, Herman said:

Ooh yeah. She's good. You'll enjoy that episode. 👍👍

Journey in Satchidananda was the featured album on Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone last Sunday.

IMG_0076.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Cheers @Nuff Said I listened to the first hour of his strange, odd but enjoyable show.That's the album that I will buy the next time I get a chance. My mate at work has caught the bug and has spent the day going through her discography. I haven't heard it yet but he recommended some work she did with Santana.

Also another colleague lent me a box set of John's first few albums. Here's a favourite so far.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Journey in Satchidananda was the featured album on Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone last Sunday.

IMG_0076.jpeg

Thanks @Nuff Saidand @Herman for introducing Alice to me. I've loved Turiya and Blue Nile especially so far.

I've been listening to Meimuna again (young Swiss woman) - her live sets are lovely. But more so, the Hania Rani album Esja. 

This is a live Rani performance and listened up through headphones you hear the intensity of emotions of this woman. Seeing her play it live adds a lot.

• Like 2

I just bought Esja coincidentally. I haven't given it a proper listen so will definitely put it on.👍

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Cheers @Nuff Said I listened to the first hour of his strange, odd but enjoyable show.That's the album that I will buy the next time I get a chance. My mate at work has caught the bug and has spent the day going through her discography. I haven't heard it yet but he recommended some work she did with Santana.

Also another colleague lent me a box set of John's first few albums. Here's a favourite so far.

The more I listen to the Freak Zone the more I like it, sadly I don’t seem to be able to find enough time in the week to listen to everything I’d like to from 6 Music (Stuart Maconie, Cerys Matthews, Iggy Pop, Huey Morgan, Giles Peterson…), but it’s normally first on my list. 

• Like 1

I watched a Stock, Aitken & Waterman programme a month ago (never a huge fan of the output but have grown a bit more respectful over the years)...but this song just stood out for me. I've only a dim recollection of "Sybil" - this is soulful and I found I kept singing it. It's a cover of Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes. Yet, should I be embarrassed to say I prefer Sybil's? It's a close run thing though. 

A follow up to my last post - continuing on a jazz theme - and I've been listening again to Yusuf Lateef and this piece is as beautiful as ever. Worthy of playing for any occasion and so uplifting.

• Like 3

Back at ya, Sonyc.I got lent this box set and so far I have got through 1 CD. This is Coltrane's take on Greensleeves.

On 21/11/2023 at 18:41, sonyc said:

Thanks @Nuff Saidand @Herman for introducing Alice to me. I've loved Turiya and Blue Nile especially so far.

I've been listening to Meimuna again (young Swiss woman) - her live sets are lovely. But more so, the Hania Rani album Esja. 

This is a live Rani performance and listened up through headphones you hear the intensity of emotions of this woman. Seeing her play it live adds a lot.

I had already stumbled across Hania (was she named after the city in Crete?), I have her album Music for Film and Theatre in my favourites on Spotify, probably because she was first released on Matthew Halsall’s Gondwana records. I find there’s a very fine line with this sort of music between being genuinely moving, or something that was probably machine-generated for background in lifts. But when it works, it’s fantastic. 

On a similar-ish note, this is unbeatable:

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I had already stumbled across Hania (was she named after the city in Crete?), I have her album Music for Film and Theatre in my favourites on Spotify, probably because she was first released on Matthew Halsall’s Gondwana records. I find there’s a very fine line with this sort of music between being genuinely moving, or something that was probably machine-generated for background in lifts. But when it works, it’s fantastic. 

On a similar-ish note, this is unbeatable:

About 14 years ago the Norfolk and Norwich Festival had three outstanding artists on consecutive nights. Dawn Upshaw was brilliant on the Thursday, and ditto Utd Lemper on the Saturday. But Philip Glass on the Friday was beyond superlative.

• Like 2

Heard on Radio 3 today. If you like Glass you may like this. Hints of Reich and Adams with a touch of Vaughan Williams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Heard on Radio 3 today. If you like Glass you may like this. Hints of Reich and Adams with a touch of Vaughan Williams.

That is very beautiful Herman. So many influences in it. R3 just come up pieces on quite a regular basis with something out of the blue, left field even. As a station it is wonderfully eclectic. Maybe too much opera during the early evenings but....anyway .I've added this to my app for listening over the next few weeks.

I heard this a few weeks ago on R3. I know some Debussy but I'm a bit ashamed to say I didn't know this. Never too late to hear new things (that are very old). This is played with such warmth and soul I think.

Edited by sonyc
  • Thanks 1

Damn good too. I think her kid will grow up with an appreciation of fine music.👍

I tend to have 3 on a lot more at work at the moment. Too much stuff going on in the world at the moment and 3 gives a pleasant respite from it all and introducing me to great new artists. (Can't do much opera either).

• Like 1

I love Steven Wilson's work, nearly all of it over the years. His most recent piece is his first attempt at a Xmas song (using AI). Intro (a few seconds long) and secondly, the resultant song below. Just to open up some Christmas cheer.

And thirdly, is one of his songs off the very recent album. I enjoy his videos almost as much as his songs and the choreography of the woman's dance is worth a watch on its own. Plus, I don't think I'm being too creepy in saying she is also beautiful. As is often the case there are strong messages and a story in his songs and occasionally a sting in the tail. It's just very artful.

• Like 1

Little music shared over the past month!

These two pieces were played last night (R3)

First for jazz fans...maybe  @Nuff Said? ...again 1971...the best year ever for releases? Amazing track

And a lovely thing by P J Harvey @ron obvious....maybe you've heard this?

Beautiful. As is the album. Something a bit different.

• Like 2

Big fan of Pharaoh Sanders.

I heard this on BBC Scotland (via BBC Sounds, I’m not in Scotland), just love her voice. She’s classically trained (a mezzo soprano I think) but is focussing on folky stuff now.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

Don’t know if I’ve responded to this already but 

daft punk random access memories 

daft punk discovery 

verve urban hymns 

if we’re talking podcasts 

chatabix 

my new football club 

He's angry about the state of the world. This was a few years ago. Bet hes worse now!

To any world leaders listening. 'Don't go mistaking your house burning down for the dawn'

40 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Listened to Rattus Norvegicus, the first album by the Stranglers, from start to finish last night, it's a long time since I did that...

Hugh Cornwell's voice is the thing that gives the Stranglers an edge. It contains just a hint of threat, anger but also such a melodic quality. An odd mix and completely unique. Of course there's the songwriting too. Not on this album but I also found Skin Deep fascinating for the same reason. On the surface it's a pretty kind of song which breezes through but there's this underlying thing in his voice, a kind of crooning. It makes a fantastic mix.

May as well share it!

• Like 1

Speaking of "Norvegicus" wandering off under the Northern Lights made me aware of Norwegian "danseband" music.

Then I discovered ... this. 😄

Although running the lyrics through Google Translate seems to indicate there's some quality ****-taking going on in the social commentary.

Another discovery for me - from R3 this morning. In the tradition of Ruth Gipps in terms of era but very individual, inspired by Vaughan Williams. The most famous Welsh female composer? I'd never heard of her. Penillion was the piece played this morning, which was brilliant but I've selected her sea sketches here ...

• Like 1