Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Oliveira (no latest.)

I realise other threads have been devoted to this problem player, but he now seems to have become the forgotten man, a role exacerbated by his surprise omission from the tour of Germany (and I do not particularly wear this World Cup thing) and Farke''s most recent comments about his striking set-up.

I had hoped and expected that NA would be long gone from the club by now but it seems that the worst fears of many that he would be a difficult item to unload nowadays are being realised. There has not been a single hint of anybody interested in signing him.

Have we another Steven Naismith on our hands? This I ask myself. Big earner that nobody wants who sits on a contract.

It does look now as if the best chance of unloading the nellie would be to sell him to a foreign outfit, probably Portuguese, which means the fee would be on the small side.

Of course he could knuckle down and be the player he is capable of being but I would guess that the boats are burned in this respect and besides he will have a weight of competition to push aside in order to even be a starter now.

Net week could see progress on this front, but it would be overdue.

Nelson has been nothing like Naismith, for the large part he has done alright for us. If it wasn''t for his attitude I''ve no doubt he could rediscover that incredible form he has had for us at times.

There''s two routes for him to go from here, he either gets his head down and works hard to try and fight for his place in the squad which now has a lot of competition for places, or he leaves. Either way, it''s now no bother to us, and the situation is no longer critical to our success.

Comparisons with Naismith from a playing or personal point of view were clearly never made.

It was merely pointed out that the situation, whereby Naismith became an unwanted expense, might well unfold with Nelson Oliveira if he is not unloaded soon.

The mention of the Naismith situation was just a minor point in discussing the current Oliveira dilemna in any case.

AJ

Competition for places????????????/

Srbeny I goal in 14 matches

[quote user="daly"]AJ

Srbeny I goal in 14 matches[/quote]
Srbeny is just one of four, as is Oliveira.  If Rhodes and Pukki do well, Oliveira will be lucky to be third choice. If Srbeny finds some form, he may even end up fourth choice, at least Srbeny gets in the box, or tries to.

I re-iterate.

I feel that the main issue with Oliveira is whether he is sold easily or not. If not he sits on a lucrative wage whilst contributing next to nothing, ala Stephen Naismith.

I state this view because it could quite easily be construed, from the events of the Summer so far, that DF has no intention of ever playing him again. Will he even have any need to?

The next two weeks might well reveal the truth of this, but I feel that, because of the Summer signings, the strongest hand has now shifted from player to manager as Olly is no longer needed, or at least we all hope that that is the case.

Rhodes and Pukki are unknown quantities in competitive games for NCFC-Oliveira and Srbeny are not and it would take a great improvement in performance from Srbeny to make him 3rd choice ahead of Nelson-he simply isn’t that good 😳

Nelson and Farke just dont get on, he has no future here and would have been gone by now had some other club been prepared to take the risk.

[quote user="STFU"]Rhodes and Pukki are unknown quantities in competitive games for NCFC-Oliveira and Srbeny are not and it would take a great improvement in performance from Srbeny to make him 3rd choice ahead of Nelson-he simply isn’t that good 😳[/quote]
In the heirachy of things, it will be the ones that show the best attitude and ability in training that get the starts, so far Rhodes and Pukki are ahead of the game (imo), Srbeny yet to shine but at least has been involved. To my knowedge Oliveira hasn''t even been training with the squad yet, so how he can even be considered anything other than fourth choice, I don''t know.  He will be sold, out on loan or training with the U23''s imo.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="daly"]AJ

Srbeny is just one of four, as is Oliveira.  If Rhodes and Pukki do well, Oliveira will be lucky to be third choice. If Srbeny finds some form, he may even end up fourth choice, at least Srbeny gets in the box, or tries to.
[/quote]
You took your time Lakey and i must admit you are not alone but it looks like my initial view on Srbeny after a couple of matches has been taken on board.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="daly"]AJ

[/quote]
You took your time Lakey and i must admit you are not alone but it looks like my initial view on Srbeny after a couple of matches has been taken on board.
[/quote]
I haven''t written off Srbeny by any means, but I''ll agree he hasn''t staked a huge claim to be one of the main strikers. He may still prove himself and certainly think he will likely feature more than Oliveira does.

I don''t think anyone ever thought Srbeny was being bought here as first choice. I''m sure he''s got room for improvement, but I would imagine Rhodes and Pukki will start the majority of games (unless Nelson comes good again)

Since srbenys debut he and Nelson have had very similar pitch time with neither inspiring confidence.

Srbeny has the excuse of finding his feet in a different league, Nelson of his attitude. Neither looked good enough but if one is likely to improve for us this autumn I couldn''t back either with confidence but my money wouldn''t be on nelson

I always remember Arsene Wenger stating that players coming from the continent often required 6-9 months to truly settle and start to play their best, obviously there are exceptions to this but some players take longer to adapt and adjust not just to the speed of play and tactics, but also the cultural differences and being in a completely new country.
Srbeny absolutely has time to improve, although I do feel that we''d still be looking at him simply being a competent backup choice rather than our main striker for a season.

Oliveira has overall done well for us although last season was obviously disappointing.

At his best, he is a match winner but I think he has to play in an attacking team. I see parallels with his performance for Alex Neil compared to farke with Grant holds performance for Lambert v hughton but Holt didn''t sulk.

If we can get the best Oliveira back we will have a forward line to rival the Jerome grabban Hooper (lafferty) of the promotion season but I can''t see tgat happening unfortunately.

The general consensus seems to be that Nelson Oliveira failed to give his all last season because he was unhappy with the manager and his system.

He still collected his generous wages. His failings last season undoubtedly contributed to the fact that the team ended up in a disappointing league position.

Do we really want a prima donna on the City books who is only prepared to function at his best when things suit him, even if he does get back to this best?

I guess there is a strong possibility that DF has taken the opportunity to shunt the player to the sidelines because of this attitude and would like nothing better than to have him sold.

Glory win or die - the season you mention there, Grabban and Hooper scored 12 league goals each and Jerome scored 20 league goals.

Oliveira has never scored 12 league goals in a season anywhere in his professional career. Pukki has scored 37 league goals in the last two season at Brondby but his highest return outside of Denmark and Finland is 7 (for Celtic playing against teams who are still arguably worse than Championship level) and Srbeny’s highest league goals return is 18 - in the fourth division of German football.

I hope Rhodes can find the goalscoring boots he used to wear four or five years ago, because I think the other three will struggle to get 10 between them.

Apart from the odd cracking shot from outside the area I. Can’t really see what Oliveira has ever brought to our team,How many times does he actually attempt to win a header just an excuse of a jump and the opposition are on the attack again.

When he’s played it’s like playing with no centre forward,I can see Rhodes giving defenders a hard time and I’m looking forward to the season without Oliveira anywhere the teamsheet. OTBC

I think Pukki can put himself about a bit too, judging by the friendly reports.

Oliveira had one excellent season and one mediocre season. Naismith hardly bothered the net in any of his time at the club although he was a model pro throughout. We won’t be stuck with Nelson. He has a few good years in him yet. His goal scoring record is what will get him sold.

Either this will happen in the summer or someone with deep pockets and a poor league position will have him in January. The Reading rumours are still circulating. Nelson’s salary may be an issue but an issue that can be solved with a signing on fee or suchlike.

Just to throw something else into the pot, Nelson''s got 2 more seasons left on his contract - runs out on 30.6.2020. Worst case scenario is no one wants to buy or loan him & he sits here for the next 2 seasons on a decent contract. He doesn''t seem like the type to put his hands up and say ''I was wrong'' & knuckle down to fight his way back into Farke''s thinking.

Shame really, as on his day, he''s a really good striker - possibly still the best we have. Him and Rhodes playing in a more direct approach, at their peak and on form would score a hatful in this league.

With Rhodes and Pukki picking up injuries last night perhaps Farke may have to swallow his pride and give Nelson another go - god forbid we end up relying on Srebny

Our slow build up doesn''t suit NO and it remains to be seen if it suits Rhodes and Pukki. A shame really because NO is still the most complete striker on our books but sounds as if he won''t be match fit to take part at Brum even if required.

Let''s hope someone from midfield steps up to replace those Maddison and Murphy goals!

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]With Rhodes and Pukki picking up injuries last night perhaps Farke may have to swallow his pride and give Nelson another go - god forbid we end up relying on Srebny[/quote]Can''t see this happening, I''m afraid. There have clearly been problems between Messrs Farke and Oliviera since DF took over. Nelson has the ability to be a great asset for us but he hasn''t been utilised in a way he''d like.Therein lies the problem. It isn''t so much about what a player wants, as an individual. The players should listen to their coach and adapt. Nelson fell out of the boat BIG TIME, in other words, and I don''t think he ever really wanted to get back in.A shame... Plus, Pukki''s injury doesn''t look quite as bad as Rhodes'' might be. So I think we''ll be alright and, if not, he may have to trust Srbeny here and there. Which is admittedly a worry as, for me, he didn''t look able to control a ball at times last season... let alone hold it up!

Srbeny wasnt bad at holding the ball up. Done a better job in that aspect than Oliviera did

Nelson does not like Farke''s style of football as he was not getting any chances at the start of season

then later in the season he was in such a huff / sulk that when chances did come his way he missed them

its a big mess and only one way out of it that is why Farke has 2 new strikers

i just hope farke''s style changes so they get chances

He won''t be playing for us again (his decision), although as of today there is now a chance he may have to stay here until another club comes in.

[quote user="hogesar"]He won''t be playing for us again (his decision), although as of today there is now a chance he may have to stay here until another club comes in.[/quote]Is that reported anywhere or just grapevine stuff? Not bashing the comment, it''s seemed this way for a while, just wondering where you got that it was definitely his decision from.

I don''t know 100% Bob, just passing on what I heard. Who I heard it from however, barely says anything to me on the rumour front but is in a position to know. I have no reason not to believe him.