Sign in to follow this  
he

Nelson Oliveira

Should Oliveira play as a striker, and stop running wide and closing space down which inhibits our wing backs getting in behind defenders, he may just score a few more goals!

And before anyone says but Holt did the same, he also got into the six yard area and scored, picking up rebounds etc etc. Oliveira as a striker just doesn’t do this! Yes he. Yep the just lead the line well and work hard, Burt that’s all he does! He is there to score goals. He doesn’t!

[quote user="City 2nd"]Should Oliveira play as a striker, and stop running wide and closing space down which inhibits our wing backs getting in behind defenders, he may just score a few more goals!

And before anyone says but Holt did the same, he also got into the six yard area and scored, picking up rebounds etc etc. Oliveira as a striker just doesn’t do this! Yes he. Yep the just lead the line well and work hard, Burt that’s all he does! He is there to score goals. He doesn’t![/quote]or there to ensure we win games

Although I agree Nels hasn’t been in great form with his finishing, first touch, sharp passing etc over the last few weeks I don’t believe the way we set up last night or even in general when we’ve used that formation suits him (or Maddison).

Was screaming at the TV for him to close people down and put them under pressure, then after ten minutes he seemed to figure it out. After that I thought he was immense, but you can''t turn it on for Chelsea and then sulk again for Shef Utd.

Such a frustrating player!

In parts he was excellent last night, and others dreadful.

He held the ball up well at times, showed a good touch and moved around to get the ball. As well as create himself a couple of decent opportunities through neat turns and good anticipation.

And then there were times when he choose not to burst a gut to close down, visibly moaned at his teammates and didn’t realise the ball to a teammate in a better position.

Ultimately, I feel he’s being played incorrectly and he’s frustrated.

He came to the club with experienced pros like Martin, Howson, Dorrans, Ruddy, Naismith, and talent such as Pritchard. I think all this kept him in check on the pitch.

Now he’s surrounded by new teammates, inexperienced, and in some respect less talented and I think he’s kind of thinking he’s the main man and no ones there to sort him out. Factor in the frustrion and that’s my reasoning for the current Oliveria.

I’m not sure he’ll ever rediscover his form at Norwich.

He was superb last night, I don’t think I’ve seen him run so much in a Norwich shirt, committed to getting back and helping to defend.

How can anyone criticise Oliveira from last night is beyond me.

Zimmerman & Lewis we’re premi quality + last night...........what a find and buy!

[quote user="Indy"]He was superb last night, I don’t think I’ve seen him run so much in a Norwich shirt, committed to getting back and helping to defend.

How can anyone criticise Oliveira from last night is beyond me.

Zimmerman & Lewis we’re premi quality + last night...........what a find and buy![/quote]

Sorry Indy, but at times he was far from superb.

I don''t really have a problem with Oliveira and Murphy shooting from distance when they have a clear opportunity. They just need to make better decisions about when to shoot and when to play in a team mate in a better position to score.

I’m all for being critical, but his penalty was saved well, he took some shots on hitting the bar, he held the ball up and tackled back more than any other game! He was superb last night, I’m critical of players when I think they’re shite like Naismith is one of the laziest players ever, his ability to make two runs a game and the rest of the time meander around the half way line waving those arms around.........but olly last night deserves credit.

[quote user="CJ"]How anyone can moan about anyone who played last night beggars belief!

I am among the first to moan about players but please just be proud I know I am[/quote]I think anyone who complains about NO''s performance last night must be very hard to please indeed but he blows so hot and cold it''s infuriating.Strangely he does seem to reserve most of his best games when there''s TV coverage but he certainly put in a shift yesterday

Irrespective of whether he played well or not last night I think we are stuck with him, as I cannot see any club willing to pay a high fee for his services. If we don''t bring a striker in I would love Farke to give Cantwell. Abrahams or Fonkeu a run in the team. I saw more commitment from Cantwell in the short time he was on the pitch than Oliveira for the full 120 mins.

Thought he was lazy last night - was at the game and made a point of watching him. Didn''t look to create space and had the look of a sulky teenager at times.

Thought he was ineffective again. Playing far too deep and do not recall him winning one header or holding up the ball. Does not really look interested and I would let him go for the first reasonable offer. There should in theory be numerous suitable replacements but the trouble is they are all just attending training sessions and picking up ridiculous wages for doing next to nothing. Hopefully there is another Grant Holt out there somewhere.

[quote user="vos"] Hopefully there is another Grant Holt out there somewhere.[/quote]If only vos,if only.

I thought our players to a man were brilliant last night - Oliveira’s effort on the outside of his boot against the crossbar was just class. Great footballer who will come back into goalscoring form, City supporters or whatever getting behind him wouldn’t be a bad idea.

[quote user="Alex "]I thought our players to a man were brilliant last night - Oliveira’s effort on the outside of his boot against the crossbar was just class. Great footballer who will come back into goalscoring form, City supporters or whatever getting behind him wouldn’t be a bad idea.[/quote]Totally agree but it''s a two way street.If he can''t be a*sed half the time why should we ?

That shot changed the game. Suddenly we realised we could actually score, that we were in with a real chance.

Nelson was much better yesterday. Perhaps coincidentally, he seemed smilier too. He still didn''t really challenge for headers, but apart from that he really put in a good, effective shift.

But I''m beginning to wonder if Farke doesn''t really want his type of player at all, that we might end up with something more like the Maddison-Josh- Alex combo we tried a couple of games ago. Very mobile & fluid attackers.

I''m probably wrong, but I think that''s the way we''re heading.

Ron it’s the Liverpool system, buying into three very quick minded attacking players, it’s noticeable that Klopp doesnt like strikers too much.

I love the idea of quick moving three attacking midfielders, Maddison, Murphy and Edwards isn’t a bad option!