Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Peoples thoughts post Germany?

The key thing for me is going to be patience. You have to appreciate the work from Farke and his coaching team - we have completely changed our style in one pre season and not only that, but it''s produced results albeit only in friendlys so far.

But patience will be required both during games (we will be patient for an opening rather than the attack and hope AN style) but also long term because to completely change our style, sell a couple of key players and integrate half a new squad AND finish top six at the first time of asking is a mammoth task.

Having seen these one half tonight I''m impressed with the way we are adapting to the new style. Glass half full instead of half empty for me now.

I like what we are doing and I think we will do well depending on injuries. We won''t threaten automatics but I remain hopeful for a playoff spot. We do have a coach that isn''t afraid to change the shape and that''s a huge positive

I have been quite negative over the last two season characterised by incompetence on and off the pitch but I sense a lambert like spark to the club again. I may be wrong but there could be some good and enjoyable seasons around the corner. Apart from the style of play we ate not leaking goals anymore and we have always had the ability to score

Some positive signs, but still some standing off players when defending which I hope will be stamped on before Fulham. Caution needed though, in judging pre-season - however well it goes - the Gunn rebuilding the team close season in 2009 and the very positive pre-season with lots of goals and wins led to good cheer and positivity.  Pre-season counts for nothing once the season starts proper!

Credit to everyone involved.

It has been a bold move to put so much faith in the revolutionary work of Webber and Farke but we seem to be embarking on a fresh path and that was long over due.

A lot will depend on how good Husband, Zimmerman, Franke, Vrancic and Reed will be when up against Championship opponents at full tilt.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Some positive signs, but still some standing off players when defending which I hope will be stamped on before Fulham. Caution needed though, in judging pre-season - however well it goes - the Gunn rebuilding the team close season in 2009 and the very positive pre-season with lots of goals and wins led to good cheer and positivity.  Pre-season counts for nothing once the season starts proper!

[/quote]
And the team went on to win their league Lakey.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="lake district canary"]Some positive signs, but still some standing off players when defending which I hope will be stamped on before Fulham. Caution needed though, in judging pre-season - however well it goes - the Gunn rebuilding the team close season in 2009 and the very positive pre-season with lots of goals and wins led to good cheer and positivity.  Pre-season counts for nothing once the season starts proper![/quote]
And the team went on to win their league Lakey.
[/quote]

True, but only after a drastic reality check and a new manager [:S]

This could have been posted in the "Prudence with ambition" topic, for that, to me, is just what has happened since last season ended. Ive said it a few times but, we knew the cloth cutting was coming when we failed to get promotion. Knew that the squad had to have major surgery. To do this work, also to carry it out, with a complete new set up never seen before  at our club, is not just a  big new change, its also hugely ambitious to. Much easier to be hugely ambitious with pots of gold and no cares about financial restrictions, but to do what is happening at our club, at a time of sharp cost cutting, is ambitious with a capital A.That its just a few weeks along this path, that its just friendlies, that its only a good successful German training camp added with some good victorys, of course means nothing compared to the real thing fast approaching, but im sure for most fans, a buzz, an embryonic feelgood factor has begun to form, and thats even after Howson and Jacob have departed, and Pritch and Timm both received bad knocks.Thoughts?..I could not have expected more than this, i could have expected less.

It will be an interesting season "for sure". I wouldn''t be surprised if we won the league or even finished 6th. Anything less than that would be failure and underachievement for a club in our financial position and with our squad. I guess it will be hard to tell how we fare until we''ve played a few games, but I don''t think it will be like last season in the way we had played 14 games, sitting top of the table and then downhill from there. During that period even though we were winning games I still thought we weren''t playing that well.

Farke brings something we''ve been missing since Lambert in the way he has flexible tactics and like today, he has shown that the team can adapt to different formations within a game successfully. Hughton was never able to make a sub to significantly change the outcome of a game and Alex Neil made some frustrating subs towards the end of his demise as manager.

The new signings are yet to prove themselves properly however the signs suggest that things are pretty positive and we still have a really good core of attacking talent, arguably the best in the league. No doubt we still have a couple more players to bring in and I''m hoping we can use a decent amount of the revenue from recent sales on the right players. Saying that I don''t expect any big name signings and we still have January to save for.

All in all I''m feeling pretty positive and I think we have a really good chance for a successful season. I like the business we''ve done so far, I understand that none of these players are well known, however our defence was something like in the bottom 5, so surely we cant get much worse. I''m also looking forward to seeing an attractive brand of football being played at carrow road and hopefully we will have the players and staff to approach away games in a better manner than last season. We have every reason to be positive, otbc!

This is a big year for us, with the final parachute payments being a primary source of cash. This really is the time to hit the ground running and not the time to be experimenting, however, results win matches so lets see how it goes. But we don''t really have a fallback option if the Webber experiment goes belly up once all the family treasures have been sold off.

Every reason to be optimistic, can''t wait for the season to begin. Only slight concern is Gunny with his lack of first team experience, hope the crowd don''t get on his back and dent his confidence, if he makes a mistake or two. The upgraded defence should help though, they seem well drilled, was much needed.

Pleased with the managers apparent tactical flexibility, early signs from Vranic and Franke seem positive also.

Still concerned about the defence v Fulham though due to injuries to Klose and Pinto.

Patience will be key, I can already hear some of our older supporters shouting " get it up there " when we''ve had the ball for a few minutes but haven''t tested the other teams keeper

The big question for me is how the defence and in particular the new central defence copes with the greater pace and movement they will face against some championship sides.

He''s looked good so far but I am a little concerned that Zimmerman is now a "main man" for us in defence having come in from the German 4th tier. it''s a big step up. I''m also not hugely convinced so far by the look of Husband (although accept its early days). That said I''d probably take a punt on Lewis as pace gets you a long way these days.

Encouraged but cautious - they are only friendlies. Like others, I am a bit concerned about the crowd''s reaction if we lose a couple of games early on, but agree with VW that age has little to do with it. A lot of our "glory years" in the 80s and 90s involved a great deal of possession and tactical fluidity - remember Culverhouse as a sweeper?

I''m a little disappointed that my thread title hasn''t led to any war based jokes but whatever.

Pre season is irrelevant as is calling for patience, bottom line is we either go up this season or every last player with a bit of talent and value will be sold by our impoverished owners next summer .Promotion or be in a worse position financially than the binners next summer . The odds are hugely stacked against us and will continue to be so until we have new owners capable of running a football club .

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 22/07/2017 9:40 AM:

"Because a lot of them are stuck in the 60s/70s and haven''t got any patience"

"Haven''t got any patience" applies to sections of our fan base across all ages Frank.

Thoroughly depressed

We will get eaten alive at Fulham and beyond. No matter how happy clappy the happy clappers are we are a pale shadow of the teams under the Messiah

Patience is key. We have a very difficult start to the new season with new players needing time to bed in, but then that''s probably true of several Championship squads at this time. I think this is a long term project to be honest and my expectations are relatively modest. My view is we need a far stronger keeper from what I''ve seen.