Sign in to follow this  
Nemzadze

So should Alex Neil still go ?

But to claim Neil is a better manager due to having more promotions on his CV is just a bit silly. Howe has proven himself capable of managing at Premier League level, money or not. Neil hasn''t.

By your logic Malky Mackay would have been the best centre back of all time- he got promoted three years in a row!

I think it would be pure fantasy to imagine that we will always be a Prem club. Even if we were promoted this season, we would be one of the favourites, and quite rightly, to go straight back down.

So if AN is in charge and we get promoted, I think it would be a wee bit unfair to sack him if we got demoted, provided he does make a decent stab of entertaining us while we were up there, which he didn''t so last time out.

However, if promotion happens then I believe the board would have to appoint an experienced head such as Hodgson to help him. And if he didn''t like that then its his problem.

If he doesn''t get us into the play offs minimum then he has failed this season. And lets not throw Villa or anyone else into the argument. We are talking about a manager who could have been sacked at the end of last season but obviously convinced the board he was good enough to get us straight back up.

And failure normally means the sack.

Personally, I think he tries to be something he isn''t . He tries to be a continental type manager and fiddle about while still sticking to the same format even when its clear it is not working..

At least the recent reinstatement of Wes must have shown him that we need a bit of flair to go with power and pace and tactics.

I await tonights line up to see if he falls into the trap of fiddling again.

We have to keep winning. Wins are going to be so important from now on in. Draws are not nearly enough and we have to be on the front foot whether it is Wigan or Newcastle.

[quote user="hogesar"]Because I think Eddie Howe, Gary Monk and probably Nagelsmann would all have something to say about it.

IF he got us promoted this season he''d be matching the expectation given to him, not exceeding. He''s not even proven himself in the Premier League yet whereas Monk and Howe have.[/quote]Though it pains me to say it, yeah, Eddie Howe[Y]

I thought after relegation, give him a full season to try get us back up - if we finish outside top 6 then he should go.

Even during the bad run I was still with him to begin with - he can''t help Martin Olsson getting sent off in he first minute, making it a game we are now expected to lose. He can''t help numerous individual errors leading to goals. He can''t help CamJam missing opportunities from 5 yards out.

Then, the team selection begun to become flat, unimaginative and predictable. Tactics seemed one-dimensional and wrong. This is when I began to turn, thinking maybe a fresh approach was needed with new ideas. Then, he completely changed the formation at Brentford, giving a bit of hope to the table, with the team possibly going on to win the game had Brady not been sent off for spreading butter with a spoon (didn''t do anything wrong, but debateable). Following this came the 3-0 against Derby and I thought - well it''s January - see what he does in the window. During which time prformances and results have improved and we didn''t have that bad of a window and I liked what I saw in the pursuit of Dijks, I think he deserves the rest of the season at least. He''s not far off showing it was only a bad patch - which he is turning around - every team falters, every manager has rough spells, as do players, but I do believe consistency is key. Which is why I was slightly annoyed with myself around Christmas for beginning to veer towards the out side. But, in for me now until at least the seasons end. And I think even if we do miss out on promotion, or play offs, but we see enough from now until May, and given the potential clear out of deadwood in the summer, I would like to see him continue to build his squad.

Lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel) wrote ''We''ll see. He''s certainly one of the luckiest mangers''

Couldn''t disagree with this more. If anything, even during our bad spell, there were certain instances where I felt he was unlucky, what with sendings off and players, with their ability, missing chances they should really have done better with.

There was a point where I felt his position was untenable, things had just got really rough, and I didn''t know if there could be any way back, but personally I was certainly far from calling for his head. If anything, I was completely intrigued to see what the outcome would be, as I felt sticking with a manager through such a poor spell in this day and age was quite unique. I have a great deal of respect and belief in him, a lot of managers would have totally crumbled as the pressure must have been immense. But I like Alex a lot, his message has never changed, and he has my backing to come through this, and if most supporters get behind himself and the team collectively then I have no doubt we will. I have been on the Pink''un long enough to know that there is always a small amount of supporters that won''t change their mind even if we win the playoffs (most will though I think), it''s as if they''re afraid they''re going to be wrong or something. But each to their own, and everyone has the right to their own opinion and I totally respect that.

He should have gone at the end of last season. He clearly is with us to the end of this season. If we don''t get promoted he should be sacked. If we get promoted he should also get sacked, we would be in a Much better proposition for managers and we will have done him a favour as there will be other deluded people out there that think he''s the next Ferguson so he will be employable outside Scotland which wouldn''t have been the case had we binned him when we should have!

[quote user="morty"]If he gets us promoted it would be harsh to sack him, he will have earned another crack at the Premiership.[/quote]
Absolutely. I know it worked for Watford but I don''t think generally it''s the right approach to take and on top of that it''s also not fair on the individual in question. 
To be fair if he did get us promoted from here it''d be a pretty big achievement and the rollercoaster ride to get to that point would have everyone on here (apart from maybe Highland and Keith Scott) in a state of euphoria demanding AN is given the key to the city.

Hogesar - as much as I despise Bournemouth the cheating diving f***s, I do give credit to Eddie Howe keeping them up last season. But this season, I reckon they''ll come down, there are a lot of glum AFCB followers around here at the moment thanks to their beyond shocking defence, fortunately though, their other team Manchester United is doing a little better. If they do come down then that would be 1 successful season, 1 not. Alex Neil has had 1 season, and I think he knows, and certainly has the b******s to admit, his change of game plan after Newcastle away probably cost us. I reckon he''s learnt from that, and should we go up this season then I think he certainly deserves a second stab at it. At least Alex Neil believes in his players to play, certainly something I wouldn''t have levelled at backwards keep it tight Chris Hughton.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]If he gets us promoted it would be harsh to sack him, he will have earned another crack at the Premiership.[/quote]
Absolutely. I know it worked for Watford but I don''t think generally it''s the right approach to take and on top of that it''s also not fair on the individual in question. 
To be fair if he did get us promoted from here it''d be a pretty big achievement and the rollercoaster ride to get to that point would have everyone on here (apart from maybe Highland and Keith Scott) in a state of euphoria demanding AN is given the key to the city.
[/quote]And if you look up a post, Alfie!

Haha. For the record I dislike Monk and I dislike Eddie f*cking Howe even more but it''s hard to deny they''ve both done good jobs in the Premier League with fairly limited sides. 

It''s quite simple, the board are sticking with him to the end of the season so play offs are a must, if he doesn''t make them he has to go. On the other hand if he by some miracle manages to get us promoted, then he should be given the oppertunity he would''ve earnt.

Unless :) David Wagner fancies a crack at it, I think he has been impressive this year or Jaap Stam. If we could get either of these two I would get rid no matter what he did, because I am nice like that;)

He''s here now for the rest of the season so we have no choice but to back him and get on with it. he''s managed us competently for the last few games and seems to be learning (finally). if he gets us up via the playoffs then he deserves another crack at the premier league although I personally would have little faith in his ability to keep us up.

If we miss out on the top 6 he should be replaced immediately but he won''t be.

There is a question mark about his ability to motivate the players for so many weeks - that would be a mark against any manager.

Having said that, he did get the team "up for it" at Wembley and promotion, and it has to be said that luck figured greatly in successes and reverses this season.

I have reduced my expectations, and I am doubtful about promotion, but we do not have a good enough nucleus to survive in the PL, or enough money to do anything about it. So, for the moment and in the absence of any adequate available replacement, I think that he should stay.

Agree with much that LDC and Engineer have posted. The point when Alex could, and maybe should, have gone was after we got relegated. But Alex clearly had a few tough days fighting his own feelings at that stage, but came out, stuck in there, had Delia''s backing,and now i sincere believe he should, and will, be here for quite some time. For me, him staying / going should have nothing to do now with where City finish up at end of this season.Yes, i to have questioned Alex''s tactical abilitys at times, in the Prem he was cruelly shown exposed at times for his inexperience, but the Prem takes no prisoners. He got us there in the first place, but also shown was the weakness the club had...to many of the old guard  still hanging around from previous managers. You know, the hardest part for a football manager, not always considered by most of us, is trying to build a good, solid team for the future, when the club itself yo yo''s  from division, season after season, with the finances at a club like ours  changing wildly with those divisional changes.Martin, Bassong, Whittaker, Lafferty, Turner, Bennett...and others..Alex is building his own team, but right now, its still only half done, this summer will be a time when theres big scope for changes, no matter what division we are in. On the whole, the guys Alex has brought in have been excellent, on that basis, he needs at least another season and a half to complete what would be HIS team. At that point, let us start to say more on this, but for now, Hes our manager, Delia backs him fully, so should we.

As a side note to all this, its quite amazing how a few wins can change peoples opinions!

It''s an interesting point re sacking him if we go up. It would be incredibly harsh and unwarranted and something I wouldn''t back.

However, the flip side is that there has to be a line. We don''t want to get sucked into walking into another relegation like last time.

Remember the outcry when Southampton sacked Adkins, despite looking comfortable, for some unheard of Argentinian guy?

If we start to look shaky a few months after being back in the premier league, and we have a chance of getting a new guy in, then that would be the time to change

So hypothetically, if we do reach plays off and succeed, and manage to get back to the premier league (massive assumptions there I know but just saying) this squad will need a massive spend to overhaul. Yes we will get a year''s worth of premier dollar, But is AN the man?

@Greavsy

If that happens Alex Neil will need to be ruthless. I think last summer he gave too many players that we saw weren''t good enough under Hughton another chance. Hopefully he''d have learnt from last time.

That''s my point, will need almost an entire new team, which isn''t easy or cheap.

Maybe a season of consolidation and settling in for the new guys/youngster''s would prove more prudent in the long run.

I don''t think we''d need an entire new team- but we would need to re-do the spine.

A new keeper, centre half, defensive midfielder and striker would all be key.

Crafty Canary

Anything less than sixth place should result in the boot. He''ll probably get a new contract instead.

You might as well accept it, Alex Neil has another 8 years at least Carrow Road, sit back and enjoy the ride.

[quote user="king canary"]I don''t think we''d need an entire new team- but we would need to re-do the spine.

A new keeper, centre half, defensive midfielder and striker would all be key.[/quote]That will happen in the summer, regardless of Alex Neil being here, or if we are promoted or not.

[quote user="king canary"]You''d hope so.[/quote]I think its a certainty, of all the players out of contract theres maybe only Ruddy, and possibly Bennett, that could be offered a new contract.

[quote user="king canary"]I was fairly certain we''d sign a right back and a centre back last time we got promoted- didn''t happen though.[/quote]The difference this time though is that we are offloading players and wages.

[quote user="morty"]As a side note to all this, its quite amazing how a few wins can change peoples opinions![/quote]As I posted on the Rowett thread, I haven''t changed my mind about wanting Neil to go.  That doesn''t mean

I''m not pleased about recent results, nor the fact than I ALWAYS want City to win.Should we gain promotion I don''t think he''s the man to establish us in the PL, but then again I don''t believe we''d manage that under the present owners.

[quote user="Nemzadze"]he who laughs last .. laugh loudest ! Best young manager in British football .. be patient ..[/quote]

Board should go first.

Neil has significant weaknesses to overcome:

1. Defensive myopia.

2. Lack of contacts in the game leading to poor signings.

3. Team selections.

4. Substitutions.

5. Tactical flexibility.