Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Olsson signs for Swansea!!

[quote user="Samwam27"]Feed the wolf for manager. He can see the way forward. Shame AN can''t!

Wouldn''t it be great to see those players all playing[/quote]How do you know though, that could be pretty much the plan?We''ll know more by the end of the window, of course.

[quote user="Indy"]You''ve got a big opinion of yourself, six weeks, I can say it''ll be less than four......😂[/quote]**** you, *******.Already practising my Joe Kinnear press conference technique, see?

I''ve got no problem us rebuilding parts of the squad my only issue, if the stories true obviously, is that Olsson is one of very few players can give you consistent solid enough performances in the prem and we will struggle to get hold of a replacement as good, or potentially as good, in my opinion.

[quote user="Indy"]FDW the best post today, totally go with that, our youngsters are the one huge positive for me.

I understand the clubs financial requirements and to downsize the aging journeymen pros would be great, replacing them with hungry players, not just young players but the same type as Holty.

I also agree that AN isn''t that manager, he''s the one who has done the same as others relying on high earning older pros who don''t always appear to give their all for the cause.[/quote]
Have you asked yourself WHY AN has pursued that policy though Indy? That''s right, because the priority laid down for him thus far has been an immediate return to the EPL, a policy insisted on not just by the board but by the vast majority of the club''s supporters. Do you really think that replacing the "older pros" with the youngsters mentioned would have given us any chance of securing promotion? I entirely agree that that is the way forward, but it requires a change in priorities, greater patience and less short-term thinking than you and most others have shown in the past and some clearly are not even now prepared to contemplate.

No I''ve always been prepared to give our youngsters more time in our squads, ive never said our priority should be to get up, build for long term is my view always has been.

Let me say again, I''m not bothered by us in the premiership, it bores the shite out of me, we can''t genuinely compete, we go out each season to try and gain enough points so we can carry on paying stupid amounts on players who couldn''t give a toss about Norwich, it''s just a job.

I''m happy to see us build with a squad who want to be here, those who after football want to be here because they love our city. Give me a iwan, Hucks or Eadie any day over Naismith or Mulumbu.

Excellent post Indy but ... do you think that is a fair description of how things were here in Lambert''s final season?

Just because we had the dour and demoralising Prem experiences under Hughton and Neil doesn''t mean that it has to be like that.

I suppose you would argue that this just proves your point. Lambert built that squad over the 3 years (alongside Gunny''s purchase of Holt!). The question is what do you do to keep that squad fresh, improving and hungry in the long term?

Genuine question ... as I said I fully agree with your post.

like others have said i am happy to get a young squad together let them grow as a team and we will be alot better in the long term

but as others have said AN has not shown me enough to say he is the man for the job

its the manager who keeps the squad fresh hungry selling a few then bolting others on to his system / style

Let''s face the truth of never being able to build a genuinely world class squad who can compete at the top division, you have to have serious money behind you to do that, even Leicester have built and spent millions.

I''ve dealt with Bowkett (not personally but through connections in business over many years) and he sorted us out and drove us forward back when we needed the leadership, he laid out the club, Macnally had genuine football knowledge and with Delia they forged a great football board which oversaw something close to our best expectations under Lambert.

Maybe Lambert saw this was as high as we could ever go and as an ambitious manager went to Villa seeing it as the next step, rather than the poisonous chalice we could see that club for.

But that''s where we need to be again, without money behind us and it''s clear we''re stuck with this dynasty for some time to come then we need to capture that combination of drive again, sorry but Moxy and Balls are not and never will be the dynamic force which was Bowkett / MacNally, then they were forced onto that board during a testing time.

I see where we are now like we were then, comfortable board, no leaders, happy to have AN as he''s not as demanding as other managers and as long as we can pay the bills the board are happy.

This means cutting our cloth to suit our wealth, that I can respect.

My long term question is Balls is no leader, Moxy is not exactly dynamic or a talisman like MacNally, we haven''t got a plan from our board, just an AGM where we were told it''s all about promotion this season, but we''re building debt, so why didn''t they come out with a sensible statement where we know they will give it a go, but if we fail we have a three year plan to rebuild the squad with faith in AN.

Feed the wolf has come out with the sort of thing we wanted to hear.

I don have the answer, but for me and my view, we need to get rid of Balls as he''s not focused on this role, he''s got other things in his sights, like TV and politics, Moxy hasn''t had a full season but for me he''s no endearing himself to the fans he''s more a Doncaster than a NcNally.

It''s up to the owners to drive the club, they drive it as a business and as such need to get the right leaders in place again, at the moment I don''t see it at top level, I don''t see it at manager level and I certainly don''t see it on the pitch. Others might well see it different to me.

[quote user="Indy"]Let''s face the truth of never being able to build a genuinely world class squad who can compete at the top division, you have to have serious money behind you to do that, even Leicester have built and spent millions.

I''ve dealt with Bowkett (not personally but through connections in business over many years) and he sorted us out and drove us forward back when we needed the leadership, he laid out the club, Macnally had genuine football knowledge and with Delia they forged a great football board which oversaw something close to our best expectations under Lambert.

Maybe Lambert saw this was as high as we could ever go and as an ambitious manager went to Villa seeing it as the next step, rather than the poisonous chalice we could see that club for.

But that''s where we need to be again, without money behind us and it''s clear we''re stuck with this dynasty for some time to come then we need to capture that combination of drive again, sorry but Moxy and Balls are not and never will be the dynamic force which was Bowkett / MacNally, then they were forced onto that board during a testing time.

I see where we are now like we were then, comfortable board, no leaders, happy to have AN as he''s not as demanding as other managers and as long as we can pay the bills the board are happy.

My long term question is Balls is no leader, Moxy is not exactly dynamic or a talisman like MacNally, we haven''t got a plan from our board, just an AGM where we were told it''s all about promotion this season, but we''re building debt, so why didn''t they come out with a sensible statement where we know they will give it a go, but if we fail we have a three year plan to rebuild the squad with faith in AN.

I don have the answer, but for me and my view, we need to get rid of Balls as he''s not focused on this role, he''s got other things in his sights, like TV and politics, Moxy hasn''t had a full season but for me he''s no endearing himself to the fans he''s more a Doncaster than a NcNally.

It''s up to the owners to drive the club, they drive it as a business and as such need to get the right leaders in place again, at the moment I don''t see it at top level, I don''t see it at manager level and I certainly don''t see it on the pitch. Others might well see it different to me.
[/quote]Plenty to get our teeth into there, Indy, but it''s getting late and I''m a bit drowsy so I''ll just focus on the bit at the end - I''m sure others will go into more detail.I too fear that the Lambert/Bowkett/McNally axis of awesome was as good as it gets for a club of our size and stature without significant investment far above and beyond what our owners can contribute. It gives me the fear that there seems to be no cogent strategy for how we''re going to get back up, just ''promotion promotion promotion'' as the facile mantra expounded by the board.If this ''ten-year plan'' is a reality, then why are we not hearing more details about it? Where is the acceptance that, despite our lack of ability to compete financially, our best way forward is to come up with a sound footballing philosophy to match that laudable ''stick not twist'' mentality?If we''re going to swim against the tide and make it to the Premiership, why not do it with the Lambert model? Why not come out and say ''we need to slash our wage bill, but we will be putting faith in the young players that our expensive Cat 1 academy has produced''? Why not tell us that there is a distinct cohesion in coaching at the club right through from U9 level to the first team?Personally I would rather be holding our own in the Championship playing exciting football, blooding youngsters and trying to engender a spirit of togetherness and uniqueness in our fanbase, rather than just blithely sticking with a struggling manager who is trying to force demotivated, overpaid and entitled players into a sh*tfight they don''t want to be involved in.Let''s hope the next month sees a lot of dead wood swept out of the playing staff. It may just be that Neil''s coaching methods simply aren''t good enough, but as far as I''m concerned I''d give him until the summer regardless and happily finish mid-table if it meant we could shift seven or eight of the old guard and get £250k per week off the wage bill.

[quote user="Biggles flies undone"]"but we''re building debt"evidence, please[/quote]

Stated at the AGM I believe. What level will depend on January sales and purchasing, but I read somewhere it was estimated that it could be up to 8 million by the end of this season.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Indy"]Let''s face the truth of never being able to build a genuinely world class squad who can compete at the top division, you have to have serious money behind you to do that, even Leicester have built and spent millions.

[/quote]Plenty to get our teeth into there, Indy, but it''s getting late and I''m a bit drowsy so I''ll just focus on the bit at the end - I''m sure others will go into more detail.I too fear that the Lambert/Bowkett/McNally axis of awesome was as good as it gets for a club of our size and stature without significant investment far above and beyond what our owners can contribute. It gives me the fear that there seems to be no cogent strategy for how we''re going to get back up, just ''promotion promotion promotion'' as the facile mantra expounded by the board.If this ''ten-year plan'' is a reality, then why are we not hearing more details about it? Where is the acceptance that, despite our lack of ability to compete financially, our best way forward is to come up with a sound footballing philosophy to match that laudable ''stick not twist'' mentality?If we''re going to swim against the tide and make it to the Premiership, why not do it with the Lambert model? Why not come out and say ''we need to slash our wage bill, but we will be putting faith in the young players that our expensive Cat 1 academy has produced''? Why not tell us that there is a distinct cohesion in coaching at the club right through from U9 level to the first team?Personally I would rather be holding our own in the Championship playing exciting football, blooding youngsters and trying to engender a spirit of togetherness and uniqueness in our fanbase, rather than just blithely sticking with a struggling manager who is trying to force demotivated, overpaid and entitled players into a sh*tfight they don''t want to be involved in.Let''s hope the next month sees a lot of dead wood swept out of the playing staff. It may just be that Neil''s coaching methods simply aren''t good enough, but as far as I''m concerned I''d give him until the summer regardless and happily finish mid-table if it meant we could shift seven or eight of the old guard and get £250k per week off the wage bill.[/quote]

Yep, I agree with this, any full outlook by Moxy would be better than Promotion, promotion, promotion when it''s never just that simple. I''m not enamoured with Moxy, I think he''s pretty bloody awful thus far.

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="Biggles flies undone"]"but we''re building debt"evidence, please[/quote]

Stated at the AGM I believe. What level will depend on January sales and purchasing, but I read somewhere it was estimated that it could be up to 8 million by the end of this season.[/quote]You don''t know what that was based on though.Maybe it was based on selling no players whatsoever this window.

This "promotion promotion promotion" thing is being a bit over done too, much the same as the McNally "Relegation will be a fate worse than death was".Would you rather Moxey said "Ooh, dunno, playoffs maybe, if we get lucky?"

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="Biggles flies undone"]"but we''re building debt"evidence, please[/quote]

Stated at the AGM I believe. What level will depend on January sales and purchasing, but I read somewhere it was estimated that it could be up to 8 million by the end of this season.[/quote]You don''t know what that was based on though.Maybe it was based on selling no players whatsoever this window.[/quote]

Yes I''ve said that Morty!

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="Biggles flies undone"]"but we''re building debt"evidence, please[/quote]

Stated at the AGM I believe. What level will depend on January sales and purchasing, but I read somewhere it was estimated that it could be up to 8 million by the end of this season.[/quote]You don''t know what that was based on though.Maybe it was based on selling no players whatsoever this window.[/quote]

Yes I''ve said that Morty![/quote]I haven''t read the whole thread lol, am multitasking and watching a film (Deepwater Horizon)

[quote user="morty"]This "promotion promotion promotion" thing is being a bit over done too, much the same as the McNally "Relegation will be a fate worse than death was".Would you rather Moxey said "Ooh, dunno, playoffs maybe, if we get lucky?"

[/quote]

I''d rather he said we have a structured plan to secure the clubs best chances of success within our budgets. If we fail to gain promotion which is our aim this season we have a long term strategic plan.

That would have given me more faith in the guy!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="Biggles flies undone"]"but we''re building debt"evidence, please[/quote]

Yes I''ve said that Morty![/quote]I haven''t read the whole thread lol, am multitasking and watching a film (Deepwater Horizon)[/quote]

Good film, though I read the full report, it''s interesting to see just how lack of communication and understanding experienced procedures can still go missing in this industry is scary.

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="Biggles flies undone"]"but we''re building debt"evidence, please[/quote]

Yes I''ve said that Morty![/quote]I haven''t read the whole thread lol, am multitasking and watching a film (Deepwater Horizon)[/quote]

Good film, though I read the full report, it''s interesting to see just how lack of communication and understanding experienced procedures can still go missing in this industry is scary.[/quote][Y]

Our one successful period under Delia and Wynn-Jones was fueled by Lambert and Culverhouse. All this praise of McNally and Bowkett misses the point that they built the foundations for a return to league one upon Lambert and Culverhouse''s departure.Given that our board has weakened post McNally and Bowkett, league one football is a certainty. Some of course will be clapping even louder in anticipation.

@Indy"No I''ve always been prepared to give our youngsters more time in our

squads, ive never said our priority should be to get up, build for long

term is my view always has been."My apologies then for misrepresenting you Indy, but that does not affect the point I was making in my post, which was that AN''s relying on "old pros" rather than youth is a reflection of the club''s (and vast majority of supporters'') prioritising an immediate return to the EPL.Regarding AN''s suitability for the task ahead, creating a young and hungry team including a number developed at the club, is exactly what he (together with the much ridiculed FM, who ran the Accies'' academy for 10 years) did with such success at Hamilton. People keep talking about our promising youngsters, such as Thompson, Maddison, Canos, Pritchard, Godfrey. Four of those five have been signed during AN''s time (Thompson was signed by Neil Adams), while home grown youngsters like the Murphys, Toffolo, Morris have all been brought on into first team contention under AN. IMO the principle criterion for off-loading players should be the strength of their commitment to NCFC under AN. There was no lack of commitment and respect from the players when Neil led them to promotion two seasons ago. Those who have lost it should go.

West Cost sums it up very well, but as most threads there seems real misunderstanding of how the modern football transfer system works...

If a player is not wanted we cant sell him. People keep saying sell Bassong, sell Turner, Lafferty etc. If no one wants them how can we sell??/ Likewise Olsson holds and did hold all the aces. He refused a contract for a few years, I know the club has tried many times to tie him down. This agreement was to allow the club to get a reasonable price and for him to be a good value buy for a mid to low PL club. Best we could do.

Whilst the club needs to take some blame for certain issues at the minute, there is little we can do to shift under contract players if no one wants them.

Re the debt point didn''t Purple state recently that we have agreed a debt facility with one of the major banks secured against future parachute payment income and I think Stone said we are budgeting for a £12.6m loss this season and a cash deficit (which I took to mean debt) of £8m although presumably some of hat is down to cash flow as we don''t get the parachute payments up front and last season we made a £9m profit (would have been £12m but for the McNally payoff and the Smiths and Foulger repaying themselves £2m).

If a player is not wanted we cant sell him. People keep saying sell Bassong, sell Turner, Lafferty etc. If no one wants them how can we sell?

i Agree wilo but say lafferty / Turner we should allow him to leave on free transfers to free up wages

of course people still need to want them pay their wages but i would be happy to let these two go on frees

[quote user="norfolkngood"]If a player is not wanted we cant sell him. People keep saying sell Bassong, sell Turner, Lafferty etc. If no one wants them how can we sell?

i Agree wilo but say lafferty / Turner we should allow him to leave on free transfers to free up wages

of course people still need to want them pay their wages but i would be happy to let these two go on free
s[/quote]We would still be liable for the remainder of their contract, minus whatever they could get elsewhere.So it would make no sense for the few coppers we might save.In fact turn it on it''s head and see how we have two players as back up for virtually minimal cost. Rather like a cheaper loanAnd given that there are no loans it is rather a bargain for us.