Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

So, how do Leicester approach a team like Norwich?

Leicester are having a marvellous season. But now they have two weeks to stew on how to play us? Most of this season they have played a counter attacking game and picked off the opposition on the break. But is that the "acceptable" way of approaching a game against a side on a very poor run of form?

Maybe I''m being too Percy here, but for the first time this season, they may just have too much time to plan for us; mentally can they match the hype? I see a door opening......

Still, could be the same for us; does too much planning lead to unnecessary tinkering? Game on for the "tinkermen".

There''s a school of thought which says that the way to play against Leicester is to actually sit deep and leave no space in behind.

Leicester''s success has been stunning this year but I think some of it is down to the fact that opponents still stupidly underestimate them and dont give them the respect they deserve. We were guilty of it at Carrow Road and literally played into their hands with very attacking full backs leaving plenty of space for Vardy to exploit on the break.

By doing this opponents continue to allow them to play on the counter attack, which is their strongest suit. Would Leicester have the invention and guile to break Norwich down if we sat deeper? With someone like Mahrez in the team, there''s always a distinct possibility. There''s also a distinct threat from set pieces with Leicester. But it seems a less risky alternative than being too open on the break.

There is obviously one fundamental flaw with us defending for long periods - we are absolutely c**p at defending. I know it''s tinkering (again) but I wonder whether it''s worth playing 3-5-2 (or variant of) to try and help the defence out in counteracting Leicester''s two strikers - Okazaki and Vardy.

It worked for long periods at Man City and it could be a useful option here. We also have the players in this squad to play that kind of system. Who''d be a manager?!

At least we are going to get Tettey back in for this one, him and O''Neil do give us a bit more soliditity at the back, with a more commanding and confident Ruddy adding to that.

Our only hope is that they do take us to lightly as the OP suggested and that they have an off day, it must surely even happen to Leicester and they are overdue one.

Three at the back looked shambolic against Man City in the cup and after the relative success of yesterday I wouldn''t try to change things to much. We must surely build on yesterday''s performance and play a similar game, while trying to cut out the stupid lapses in concentration.

The pressure will be off, slightly, which should also help.

Like for like, pace and hardwork. This team should do it;

Ruddy

Martin Klose Bennett Olsson

Tettey Howson

Jarvis Naismith Brady

Jerome

Get Jarvis and Brady attacking their full backs at every opportunity. Discipline given by Tettey, and box to box energy from Howson. Naismith and Jerome will work their socks off and give Huth and Morgan plenty to think about.

Defensively, Bennett is our best centre half. He needs to start, Bassong will be lost against Vardy''s pace. Bennett is not quick, but has better positional sense.

I''m concerned with out fullbacks. Both capable of an accomplished display, but also a dire one. But their both experienced squad players and we need to show some consistency.

I don''t get how we went from being quite solid, difficult to break down, and good on the counter attack (like West Ham away for instance) - to utterly incapable of defending and letting teams go through us like a hot knife through butter.

Have teams found us out?

[quote user="im spartacus"]Rubbing there hands in anticipation I should think 😂[/quote]And a smile on their faces, knowing if we score five in the first ten minutes we''ll concede six in the following twenty.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Like for like, pace and hardwork. This team should do it;

Ruddy

Martin Klose Bennett Olsson

Tettey Howson

Jarvis Naismith Brady

Jerome

Get Jarvis and Brady attacking their full backs at every opportunity. Discipline given by Tettey, and box to box energy from Howson. Naismith and Jerome will work their socks off and give Huth and Morgan plenty to think about.

Defensively, Bennett is our best centre half. He needs to start, Bassong will be lost against Vardy''s pace. Bennett is not quick, but has better positional sense.

I''m concerned with out fullbacks. Both capable of an accomplished display, but also a dire one. But their both experienced squad players and we need to show some consistency.[/quote]

And depending on how the game goes, you can sub Jarvis for Redmond, Naismith for Vadis or Hoolahan and Jerome for Mbokani or Bamford. Unless absolutely essential the back 6 should not be touched.

I''d have absolutely no complaints with that team at all Lincoln if it was selected. My only query would be Jarvis on the right.

I don''t ever recall him having played that position for us or indeed any of the other teams which he has played for. He certainly never did at West Ham or Wolves.

Whilst, he seemingly is equally adept at using either foot and on paper at least he should be fine in that position there clearly is some reason (whether it be personal preference or otherwise) that he doesn''t play there and never has. Curious.

Our best hope is if Mahrez or Vardy or both are not available, or of they are they have an off day. Vardy is like dynamite this season - he is so positive that it is difficilt for anyone to match him for sharpness.   If they play, if we put our quickest player on Vardy (Tettey?), we might keep him quiet, try and crowd out Mahrez and hope that the rest of the Leicester team don''t have enough to trouble us.

Tettey isn''t quick. And much as I''d like Brady further forward, imagine the fun Vardy would have with Olsson.

No1 Tell Bassong not to get too close to Vardy ''coz it just gives him the opportunity to suddenly put the brakes on and go over, he''s done it to us and a lot of other top defenders in the Premiership this season. 

Jacko, I''m guessing that''s aimed at the team I put up. While at first look it may seem as if we''d be left open, the tactics and shape would dictate quite the opposite. Personal could also change around - Mbokani for Jerome, for instance.

Personally, I think we should play Leicester at their own game: conceding possession, breaking fast in the gaps out wide that they''d leave when attacking, and allowing our wide(ish) pairing of Brady and Redmond to cut inside and drive into the oppo''s penalty box.

It''d be a narrow setup, formed of a deep-lying defensive 5 and a quick-acting attacking 5. It would dictate a number of long passes, but I think by being compact, putting pressure on Leicester to keep the ball and dictate play, something they are not used to, this would give us the best chance to secure victory or at least a point from the game.

Only difference I would do to Lincoln''s team is Redmond in for Jarvis.

Bamford against Huth and Morgan could be great.

Don''t forget Leicester have one less day of recovery ;)

If they win today (and they are currently at half time), then they could, mentally, start to believe, and complacency may be a factor. We have nothing to lose.

Well the way refs appear to favour them and the cheating Vardy there''s no doubt we''ll concede at least one penalty!

I don''t like Arsenal but beginning to dislike Liecester, just a bunch of diving cheats any touch and down they go like Bambi on ice!

Leaving aside his diving (CR etc) I am beginning to think that Vardy is a prize p***k. His reaction at West Brom when he scored, and today, to an Arsenal defender, once he had tucked the penalty away is the sign of an a*** in my eyes.

You''ll never see top players doing that sort of thing.

He might be due some karma

I''ll put my two penneth in and say it is good as they are back to looking over their shoulder again. Getting anything there will be tough but the longer we staying in the game the better. Got to avoid falling into Leicester''s gamesmanship tactics - thankfully it cost them today and should start to put doubts in their minds.

Although its still going to be very difficult for us to get anything from Leicester, the manner of their defeat today will have surely dented their confidence. They are human after all, so if we can stay in the game long enough, we might just have a chance. Their fans maybe for the first time will be expecting an easy afternoon against us and with that comes pressure on their players to brush us aside. Clutching at straws probably but you never know.

I very much doubt they will have to break into a sweat! Vardys pace will terrify the likes of our back four alone.

Play the way they''ve played all season and they''ll beat us. Simple really. They gave pace to burn up front and from what I''ve seen if Klose, Bennett and Martin at .CB, we haven''t. Basso get has pace of sorts but is inconsistent n terms of his positioning.