Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

So, how do Leicester approach a team like Norwich?

Like a cup game, rest key players and put out a reserve side, heck they can even give the groundsmen a game, they''d still beat us with ease.

we played well against them at CR and the game changed on "that" penalty as we then had to chase the game more and that worked right into their game plan. - I think sitting back a little and hitting them on the break might frustrate the fans who will be expecting them to roll us over.

Anyway their bubble has burst now....hasn''t it!

While watching the game yesterday, I noticed how all the Leicester players were charging around, closing down space and hurrying the Arsenal players into getting rid of the ball. However, what Arsenal did well was to shield the ball and gain free kicks and force the ref into giving yellow and red cards, mainly due to the Leicester players clattering into them when they were unable to stop quickly enough.

If we can learn to draw fouls and cards, we can frustrate them. We''re also pretty good from set pieces. Whether the ref will favour the away side though is questionable. We also need to be far more aware of their counter attacking ability than we were at Carrow Road.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Like for like, pace and hardwork. This team should do it; Ruddy Martin Klose Bennett Olsson Tettey Howson Jarvis Naismith Brady Jerome Get Jarvis and Brady attacking their full backs at every opportunity. Discipline given by Tettey, and box to box energy from Howson. Naismith and Jerome will work their socks off and give Huth and Morgan plenty to think about. Defensively, Bennett is our best centre half. He needs to start, Bassong will be lost against Vardy''s pace. Bennett is not quick, but has better positional sense. I''m concerned with out fullbacks. Both capable of an accomplished display, but also a dire one. But their both experienced squad players and we need to show some consistency.[/quote]

I''d like to see this team and this approach.

Leicester have benefited this season from being able to sit back and counter-attack at pace e.g. at Man City is the perfect example.  They are devastatingly good at the counter attack.  Quite a lot of the bigger teams haven''t given them enough respect and have played into their hands.  So we mustn''t over commit, keep it tight.  It''s still a risk that with Vardy in such good form, they might get a goal and we then have to chase the game more, but if we over-commit like we did at CR they''ll destroy us.

It''s worth remembering a lot of the Leicester players are playing well above their normal level.  Morgan and Huth are distinctly limited CBs who''re both having fantastic seasons.  Also look at the insane challenge from one of their subs which gave away the free kick that let Arsenal score the winner.  Pure madness.  COmments about them resting players and still beating us are just rubbish.

Another thing Leicester have is a fantastic work rate.  We need to match it.

I suppose one idea might be Howson, Dorrans, Tettey in CM, with Hoolahan ahead of them. Remain solid, keep hold of the ball at all costs, and counter with the pace of Redmond, Brady and Martin.

Jerome

Wes Redmond

Dorrans Tettey Howson

Brady Martin

Bassong Klose

Ruddy

Yes, because that''s exactly how I laid it out forum. Sigh.

[quote user="Ian"]I suppose one idea might be Howson, Dorrans, Tettey in CM, with Hoolahan ahead of them. Remain solid, keep hold of the ball at all costs, and counter with the pace of Redmond, Brady and Martin. Jerome Wes Redmond Dorrans Tettey Howson Brady Martin Bassong Klose Ruddy[/quote]

My approach would be similar but I''d go with Wes playing off Jerome or Mbokani, Tettey + Howson in centre midfield, Redmond on the right and on the left either Brady in front of Ollsson or Jarvis in front of Brady.  This gives us natural wing players - I''m never happy with Wes on the wing.  And I think Wes in front of Tettey/Howson in centre midfield works too and gives us enough presence in midfield.

I''m not too bothered about how much possession we have for this one.  Leicester are more dangerous in games when they don''t have much possession but can sit back, invite the opposition to come forward, and counter attack.  So we should be cautious about committing men forward, especially in the first half.  And if we go one down, we shouldn''t change that approach, because we don''t need to be dominating possession to get a goal against Leicester.