Sign in to follow this  
NCFC198

Gentlemans Agreement - Grabban

Can we assume there will be a gentlemans agreement between norwich and Bournemouth that he will not play on the weekend? I know they cant put it in the contract any more but this sort of thing has happened before.

Perhaps they will.... but, I''d prefer him to play actually. I''d like us to win and him to have a poor game :)

to be fair once they have signed a player a club should be able to play him when ever they want

they signed him early to win points early as possible like we should be doing !!

I wouldnt really care if he played or not

I hope the club and manager are confident enough in their decision to sell now not to seek any wimpish gentlemans agreement.

If they were genuinely worried they could easily have haggled until the weekend.

Agree, tbere should be no restriction on him playing. We were happy to sell him, most are glad that he has left-one of those moves that didn''t work out- and just about everyone is delighted with the fee.

I''d be more worried about BJ scoring from 30 yards here against us next season if Derby go up.

[quote user="Al Harrington"]So been announced in the press conference he''s available.[/quote]

I think he has to be the official line because it would be against the rules for him to be declared not to be available for any other reason other than injury or disciplinary reasons.   There still could be a gentleman''s agreement, but it would be just that, an informal and non-public agreement that would not appear on any official statement.

[quote user="Al Harrington"]So been announced in the press conference he''s available.[/quote]

I think thar has to be the official line because it would be against the rules for him to be declared not to be available for any other reason other than injury or disciplinary reasons.   There still could be a gentleman''s agreement, but it would be just that, an informal and non-public agreement that would not appear on any official statement.

I really hope all these brazen proclamations that we have nothing to fear from Grabban don''t come back to bite certain posters in the bum this weekend. I agree he is profligate-bordering-on-pony in front of goal, but even so, why bait the footballing gods?!

I wouldn''t trust cheating Bournemouth with any gentlemans agreement

and also the tv money at stake next year to much at risk to mess around you sign a player you play him if you want to

Sorry but this is just hugely, hugely amateurish in my view.

Ok Grabban is a player who misses a few chances and long term its probably a good deal for the club but so far as Saturday is concerned you just don;t take the risk of a highly motivated Grabban popping up and scoring an important goal that costs us points and earns our rival points at the same time. Agree the fee, agree everything about the move by all means but do not let the deal/paperwork go through until after the game against Bournemouth.

Really do not know what we are thinking here. So predictable what is going to happen on saturday now.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry but this is just hugely, hugely amateurish in my view.

Ok Grabban is a player who misses a few chances and long term its probably a good deal for the club but so far as Saturday is concerned you just don;t take the risk of a highly motivated Grabban popping up and scoring an important goal that costs us points and earns our rival points at the same time. Agree the fee, agree everything about the move by all means but do not let the deal/paperwork go through until after the game against Bournemouth.

Really do not know what we are thinking here. So predictable what is going to happen on saturday now.[/quote]Man up, for goodness sake.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Agree, tbere should be no restriction on him playing. We were happy to sell him, most are glad that he has left-one of those moves that didn''t work out- and just about everyone is delighted with the fee.

I''d be more worried about BJ scoring from 30 yards here against us next season if Derby go up.[/quote]Just about everyone ?There can''t be anyone - including Grabban - who isn''t astounded we''ve mugged so much money out of the deal.

Unless we allow Bournemouth around 15/20 attempts on goal we probably have nothing to worry about.

The level of pant-wetting on this board has reached new heights when Grabban suddenly turns into a 20 goal a season prem striker the day he leaves us.

Apples 

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry but this is just hugely, hugely amateurish in my view.

Really do not know what we are thinking here. So predictable what is going to happen on saturday now.[/quote]Relax Jim. Bournemouth''s offer was so stupidly good we had to take the cash before they woke up and realised they''d been stiffed [;)]OK suppose he scores on Saturday. It may mean we lose but sacrificing at most three points for silly money must be seen as good business.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry but this is just hugely, hugely amateurish in my view.

Really do not know what we are thinking here. So predictable what is going to happen on saturday now.[/quote]Relax Jim. Bournemouth''s offer was so stupidly good we had to take the cash before they woke up and realised they''d been stiffed [;)]OK suppose he scores on Saturday. It may mean we lose but sacrificing at most three points for silly money must be seen as good business.[/quote]

Disagree Smithy. We don''t need the money and staying in the premier league is all important. Realistically we have 4 or 5 rivals for 2 relegation places. Bournemouth are one of them and in fact probably our most likely rival for that third spot if you accept that Swansea and Newcastle have better squads than us and Bournemouth and could pick up. Them gaining 3 points at our expense could be highly significant in terms of staying up as we saw in the Lambert season when our consistent successes against the bottom clubs more or less assured our safety. he may be wasteful but on his day he can be a handful and I just think taking that risk is unnecessary and naive. We can;t control whether they played either of their other new signings. We could control this. If he scores against us on Saturday then allowing this transfer to go through before the game will have been a poor decision.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry but this is just hugely, hugely amateurish in my view.

Really do not know what we are thinking here. So predictable what is going to happen on saturday now.[/quote]Relax Jim. Bournemouth''s offer was so stupidly good we had to take the cash before they woke up and realised they''d been stiffed [;)]OK suppose he scores on Saturday. It may mean we lose but sacrificing at most three points for silly money must be seen as good business.[/quote]

Disagree Smithy. We don''t need the money and staying in the premier league is all important. Realistically we have 4 or 5 rivals for 2 relegation places. Bournemouth are one of them and in fact probably our most likely rival for that third spot if you accept that Swansea and Newcastle have better squads than us and Bournemouth and could pick up. Them gaining 3 points at our expense could be highly significant in terms of staying up as we saw in the Lambert season when our consistent successes against the bottom clubs more or less assured our safety. he may be wasteful but on his day he can be a handful and I just think taking that risk is unnecessary and naive. We can;t control whether they played either of their other new signings. We could control this. If he scores against us on Saturday then allowing this transfer to go through before the game will have been a poor decision.[/quote]No we couldn''t. Apart from the cup tie rule, there is no precedent where a club can put an agreement like this in place.I believe that it is even against European employment legislation, or something of that ilk.

I think we''ve done great business re Grabban, but I think there''s way too many posters who are arrogantly telling all and sundry that he categorically WON''T score against us if he plays against us next Saturday. I think you''re setting yourselves up for serious egg on face as Grabban is perfectly capable of scoring against us, as Arsenal will happily tell you!.

Certainly adds spice to this weekend''s fixture. I still think Wednesday''s Stoke away match will be far tougher.Anyway, who know who we will have on our books by Saturday? Things are certainly moving fast in this transfer window.

Of course there''s a chance Grabban could score against us on Saturday, but so could any other player (striker or otherwise) on Bournemouth''s books. There''s an equal chance that a ''highly-motivated'' City back four will snuff him out of the game entirely. We could win, lose or draw regardless of whether Grabban gets any game time or not. What are City supposed to do, never sell a player to a team that we could potentially ever come up against in a relegation/promotion battle of any sort! Why is the first game so much more significant than any other? We''ve prevented far better strikers than Grabban from scoring in individual games against us and we''ve conceded goals from far poorer ones. Seriously; what''s the big deal?

Seriously?!?

If Grabban plays and scores, it''s going to be a goal that whoever else they had on in his place would have scored anyway.

I''d much rather a "hugely motivated" Grabban was one on one in the last minute than just about any other player Bournemouth have on their books. If he scores, so would whoever else they had on the pitch so no harm but my moneys on him blazing it over the stand.

No such thing as the curse of the ex player - MTFU

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry but this is just hugely, hugely amateurish in my view.

Disagree Smithy. We don''t need the money and staying in the premier league is all important. Realistically we have 4 or 5 rivals for 2 relegation places. Bournemouth are one of them and in fact probably our most likely rival for that third spot if you accept that Swansea and Newcastle have better squads than us and Bournemouth and could pick up. Them gaining 3 points at our expense could be highly significant in terms of staying up as we saw in the Lambert season when our consistent successes against the bottom clubs more or less assured our safety. he may be wasteful but on his day he can be a handful and I just think taking that risk is unnecessary and naive. We can;t control whether they played either of their other new signings. We could control this. If he scores against us on Saturday then allowing this transfer to go through before the game will have been a poor decision.[/quote]No we couldn''t. Apart from the cup tie rule, there is no precedent where a club can put an agreement like this in place.I believe that it is even against European employment legislation, or something of that ilk.[/quote]

Yes we could. You just agree the deal but don;t transfer the registration until its too late for him to play on saturday. I know you can;t put clauses in the contract now saying they can''t play but we could have delayed the deal. Presumably Bournemouth played "hardball" by threatening to walk away if we didn''t complete it this week and we caved in.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Jim Smith"]Sorry but this is just hugely, hugely amateurish in my view.

Disagree Smithy. We don''t need the money and staying in the premier league is all important. Realistically we have 4 or 5 rivals for 2 relegation places. Bournemouth are one of them and in fact probably our most likely rival for that third spot if you accept that Swansea and Newcastle have better squads than us and Bournemouth and could pick up. Them gaining 3 points at our expense could be highly significant in terms of staying up as we saw in the Lambert season when our consistent successes against the bottom clubs more or less assured our safety. he may be wasteful but on his day he can be a handful and I just think taking that risk is unnecessary and naive. We can;t control whether they played either of their other new signings. We could control this. If he scores against us on Saturday then allowing this transfer to go through before the game will have been a poor decision.[/quote]No we couldn''t. Apart from the cup tie rule, there is no precedent where a club can put an agreement like this in place.I believe that it is even against European employment legislation, or something of that ilk.[/quote]

Yes we could. You just agree the deal but don;t transfer the registration until its too late for him to play on saturday. I know you can;t put clauses in the contract now saying they can''t play but we could have delayed the deal. Presumably Bournemouth played "hardball" by threatening to walk away if we didn''t complete it this week and we caved in.[/quote]Why would you presume that?We got very, very good money for a player that wasn''t playing, and didn''t want to be here. Surely, even you, can see the positive in that?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Old Shuck"]Agree, tbere should be no restriction on him playing. We were happy to sell him, most are glad that he has left-one of those moves that didn''t work out- and just about everyone is delighted with the fee.

I''d be more worried about BJ scoring from 30 yards here against us next season if Derby go up.[/quote]Just about everyone ?There can''t be anyone - including Grabban - who isn''t astounded we''ve mugged so much money out of the deal.[/quote]

I know and I agree-it just struck me that, had I said "everyone", someone on here would have been giving it the old "....we should have asked for £10 Million...Ross McCormack...£11 Million...McNally..." etc, so I played safe!