Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Did we dodge a bullet...

.... By not ever offering the managers job to Lennon. I see Bolton once again struggling near the bottom of the champs having been tonked at Huddersfield who previously couldn''t buy a home win. Seems to me after a brief honeymoon period when he arrived Bolton have not progressed at all under his management.

Our board were lambasted for not appointing him here. Some even insisted that McNally wanted Lennon but was over ruled by others. I''ve never seen anything to suggest there''s any truth in this. In fact there''s nothing to suggest Lennon would have done better than Adams or Neil. Imagine the board never seriously considered him. It''s easy if you try..

Good point Nutty. I for one wanted him here as I have said on previous thread but did our board make the right choice by God they did

So glad we didn''t sign him, personally i do not like the man, massively overrated and was very lucky to be Celtic manager at the right time, when rest of Scottish football was in a real state of disarray.

You would have to be extremely fast to dodge a bullet. There would be very little time between it being fired and you deciding which way to move, And then moving. Maybe we should have this bullet dodger on the pitch.

I wanted him at the time and whose to say that it would have worked out differently here. As things stand getting AN instead was the right move.[Y]

Who knows Nutty! Different players, different club, different hierarchy, who''s to tell whether he would have been good or bad for us!

Glad we''ve got Sir Alex, but to try an compare managers to different clubs is rather obtuse!

Yes of course it could have been different. You only have to see those managers who were good for us but failed at other clubs to understand that. But the thing with Lennon was that nobody else seemed to want him. Finally Bolton came in. And as we''ve seen Bolton aren''t really a club going places. Yet it was believedby many that he only had to turn up here to be a success. Looks like once again our board called it right.

[quote user="Wiz"]I was a Lennon fan.................I''m glad I was wrong.[/quote]Snap...................but then as I''m you I would be wouldn''t I?[;)]

I don''t think it''s about people being wrong. The only thing that matters is it looks as though our board were right. They''re the ones that matter and by hook or by crook they keep getting it right.

I wouldn''t have minded Lennon and he was number two for me after Mackay.

Ecstatic the ways things panned put though. who could now wish for a better outcome?

Probably unfair to judge Neil Lennon on the Bolton job alone as that club are nearly £140m in debt which would leave any manager with little scope.

Debt is always a sheet anchor to progress in the end, however it is dressed up.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Wiz"]I was a Lennon fan.................I''m glad I was wrong.[/quote]Snap...................but then as I''m you I would be wouldn''t I?[;)][/quote]Giggle. [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gif[/IMG]

To be fair I think Bolton were totally screwed well before Lennon showed up. The season they went down they sold Gary Cahill and bought no one and  have collosal debts (£168 million). The sole reason they aren''t another Portsmouth is that Eddie Davies is propping them up.

I didn''t want himpeople were basing him off success at Celtic but surely that’s the easiest job in the world... (Aberdeen might disagree this season though.. here''s hoping they can last the pace!)Pretty much anyone could win with Celtic.. it''s interesting that very few managers leave Celtic and are successful elsewhere.Lennon will never get a premiership job.

He was my first choice and goes to show how wrong you can be. I can''t think of anyone I would swap AN for. We may have a real gem on our hands.

Just a qualifier though that sometimes a manager doesn''t fit a specific club. Look a hughton at Brighton. He''s been a success everywhere except here.

[quote user="nutty nigel"].... By not ever offering the managers job to Lennon. I see Bolton once again struggling near the bottom of the champs having been tonked at Huddersfield who previously couldn''t buy a home win. Seems to me after a brief honeymoon period when he arrived Bolton have not progressed at all under his management.

Our board were lambasted for not appointing him here. Some even insisted that McNally wanted Lennon but was over ruled by others. I''ve never seen anything to suggest there''s any truth in this. In fact there''s nothing to suggest Lennon would have done better than Adams or Neil. Imagine the board never seriously considered him. It''s easy if you try..[/quote]Nutty, I don''t think we dodged a bullet because, as you say, there was never any indication we were after Lennon. There were some posters who assumed he had to be our choice and that he would walk into the job (just as later some posters assumed it was bound to be Phelan) and some posters (not always the same) who clamoured for it to be Lennon.The statistics on his time at Bolton do rather back up the view some of us who didn''t see Lennon as so obvious a choice held that he is one of those managers who comes into a club and re-energises it. For a while. A bit like Stuart Pearce. But then the lack of tactical nous shows through. In his first 13 games, seven wins, three draws and three defeats, at 1.84 points per game. In the last 30, six wins, 11 draws and 13 losses, at 0.96 ppg.To be fair to Lennon, Bolton are in debt, albeit to their owner, but his more recent performance pretty much explodes the mantra we had here from one or two posters, that with him as manager we would have been absolute certainties for a top-two spot. The way Bolton have fallen away just doesn''t bear that out.

When he was at Celtic it was impossible to judge as they had little competition albeit this season they have. Bolton was a strange appointment as they are a club on the slide and he has done little to change this course

Wasn''t ever convinced by him. He''s won titles in Scotland but they''ll be forever tainted by the fact they were never won against a full strength Rangers side. His first title, coinciding with when the club was falling apart financially and then they have been out of the picture ever since.

In the board''s defence, whilst Adams was a poor appointment , but there weren''t any real candidates at that time who leapt out and excited me. I think ultimately that was why they persisted with Hughton for far too long in the first place.

Neil was a brave and massive punt and it looks to have come in handsomely. Alls well that ends well as they say.