Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Drop Ruddy Yes or No

[quote user="dibbler"]Wow, overwhelming majority for Yes.

more than I expected. LDC did you see the game today?

Ruddy spent more time doing star jumps and landing on his backside than touching the ball.[/quote]Yes.  Six shots on target, six unstoppable goals. Most of the other things Ruddy did were ok - coming out for the ball, corners and even the dicey bit of skill at one point  showed a bit of confidence. 

I''d strongly disagree with you over the second one LDC which was very close to him.

Whilst none of the others conceded were errors as such, what disappointed me was how early he committed on numerous occasions. Almost making up the striker''s mind for him. The top goalkeepers stand up, wait and almost make a statement to the striker saying - beat me.

I personally think Rudd should be given his opportunity now as Ruddy has made a number of errors recently. He got away with a shocker in the Leicester game. Yes, he was fouled for Ulloa''s goal but he was absolutely nowhere it anyway. Nobody should be undroppable and if we aren''t prepared to use Rudd then what is the point of him being here?

I agree with LDC not much Ruddy could''ve done about any of the goals today.

Only a week ago everyone was harping on about him being back to his best!!

Wrong to drop him after today.

Yes the second goal was close to him but it was also very low and hard and from what, six yards out? Those kind of shots are very awkward to deal with as it''s too fast for you to stick a leg out but also not far away enough for you to dive on to.

Having seen Rudd at Rotherham he is way better than Ruddy already making lots of great saves.

Time for a change

[quote user="CJ"]Having seen Rudd at Rotherham he is way better than Ruddy already making lots of great saves.

Time for a change[/quote]against a team a division lower in a game RVW scored in.....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]those saying drop Ruddydo any of you honestly think Declan Rudd is any better?[/quote]

Yes.

Do you honestly think Hart, Butland, Forster or even Heaton would have let all 6 of those past him?

of course not! a keeper should only be dropped when he starts to cost us games, Ruddy had no chance with the goals because of the inept way our defence played. sort out the martin/whittaker situation then see how the big man plays.

A keeper should breathe confidence into his defence.. he''s not even breathing confidence into me let alone our already shakey defence.

He''s been consistently average (at best) for a long long time.. it''s time for a spell on the bench!

Lets face it Rudd can''t do any worse against all these "unstoppable" shots Ruddy keeps coming up against can he!

As much as people seem to argue an occasional good save doesn''t make you a good keeper! When was the last time Ruddy had an inspired performance like Butland the other week? He''s one of the worst first choice keepers in the PL currently.

Man Citeh dropped Joe Hart and he came back the better for it. He doesn''t have to be dropped for good but maybe his place has appeared a little too secure. Handled the right way leaving him out could be a win for all parties.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Man Citeh dropped Joe Hart and he came back the better for it.[/quote]Could work the other way as well. Is it worth risking and damaging the third best English keeper in the premiers confidence?

l''d imagine 6 goals today and 20 in 9 games has damaged his confidence. Handled correctly that shouldn''t be a problem. Otherwise it''s a case of saying he plays regardless.

Yes, too many of the back five are complacent, as we really don''t have great options. Our back five today really were an embarrassment. Rudd should be given a chance, its now or nerver for him. I would replace Whittaker and Martin with.....oh dear!

[quote user="morty"]I dont think ruddy has been in great form in recent games, no player is undroppable.[/quote]Nither has whitaker, martin, cameron or howson. Do you suggest Neil drops the whole first team! Madness!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]l''d imagine 6 goals today and 20 in 9 games has damaged his confidence. Handled correctly that shouldn''t be a problem. Otherwise it''s a case of saying he plays regardless.[/quote]Then it should be handled correctly on the training ground, not by dismissing him to the bench.

"is it worth damaging the 3rd best english keepers confidence"

Hart, Forster and Butland are all considerably better keepers. Wouldn''t even put the John Ruddy of late in the top 6.

Hart, Butland and Heaton are currently ahead of Ruddy in the England camp. So will Forster and Foster when they return from injury. Ruddy has lost something since that injury.

I posted the below in November,

Ok, so I''ve just gone through Match stats on canaries.co.uk for the last 10 games.

The number on the left is how many shots our opponents had on

target, the number on the right is the goals we conceded that game.

4-3

4-3

3-2

5-4

2-1

1-0

1-1

2-1

2-1

1-1

So in 10 games Ruddy has faced 25 shots on target of which 17 have gone in!

68% Conceding rate, shockingly pathetic!

Without going through this years stats I imagine they mirror this!

I''ve been saying a while his distribution is average at best and it''s only the other parts of his game keeping him in the team, now those ain''t looking so good I think he needs a spell on the bench even if only to give him a kick up the ass like Man city did with hart

[quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="morty"]I dont think ruddy has been in great form in recent games, no player is undroppable.[/quote]Nither has whitaker, martin, cameron or howson. Do you suggest Neil drops the whole first team! Madness![/quote]I don''t know, did I suggest that?I answered the question posed.

On 28/09/2015 Parma Ham''s gone mouldy wrote: "............. I think John Ruddy could and should do more. I have a goalkeeping

coaching qualification, though I am not a Goalkeeping coach, so the view

is my own, but for such a strong character - one of the very few who

know that they have a place on the teamsheet for next week - he does not

always dominate his area and take all the responsibility that he could.

A goalkeeper can have a huge influence over the side, the pattern of

play, the speed of play and the organisation of the side - even if they

have very little to do during the action of the game. When the team is

under pressure I rarely see Ruddy make a "statement claim", coming for a

difficult ball when the team is under real pressure, to say "don''t

worry lads, times are tough, this is my time, I''m here for you".

This is brave, far-from-the-line claims of balls late in games when crosses, diagonals and free kicks are raining in.

Making good saves, reflex stops, yelling when others make mistakes

is all fine, but it''s expected. Big "help for heroes" goalkeepers send

messages to their teammates - and the opposition. "Don''t just sling

balls in, I''m going to come and claim them and make you look foolish,

get your fans moaning by making half-decent crosses look wasteful".

Or alternatively, you stay on your line, shout orders, make last

minute reaction stops, but you''re not risking your own mistakes by

really helping the team out with your neck on the line. This defines the

great goalkeepers from the good. These great goalkeepers can be

identified by the way they make simple things important, theatrical

even, while sending messages to teammates and opposition all the time.

They make fast dramatic throws ("lads we''re on top, we''re dynamic

we''re playing to feet, keep the tempo high") and use both feet to make

early, fast, flat distribution - even on 10 yard passes - to keep

possession, change angles quickly, move the opposition a little out of

shape. Every little helps and many don''t do it. It puts a message on the

ball and onto the field of play.

Such goalkeepers are switched on in the mind, have a little

arrogance, a desire to be involved when they''re not called upon to make

saves, to contribute in other ways.

Keepers of this mentality also treat set pieces as an occasion to

shine, a moment to alleviate pressure for the side, a theatrical stage

when the lights are on them. They want it, they are not afraid. It is an

opportunity to show what they can do.

This approach - even when mistakes are sometimes made - is

infectious. It rubs off on others. The tone is set. Ask a defender how

much difference it makes." (here''s the link)I don''t think anyone would claim that JR is a "great" keeper, but good keepers should at least have those qualities in some measure. JR has been given plenty of opportunity to show he has them. He isn''t showing it. Declan Rudd deserves a chance now.

Why would you not drop out of form players? Redmond gave the ball away too often creating turnovers that our defensive players could not cope with. So yes I would drop ruddy. And redmond and whits and howson. That''s what a squad is for. Bring in mulumbu rudd jarvis and Bennett or whomever else is on form.

The goalkeeper is the easiest position to identify in a team and therefore probably the one that comes under closest scrutiny especially after a game like yesterday. No place to hide for a goalkeeper but Ruddy is a good keeper who would get a place in most Premiership sides. However he is not on top of his game at the moment but the question for me is would now be the right time for Rudd to step up if other shortcomings which have been well documented surrounding our leaky defence are left unresolved ?On another note good to see that the Pink Un thread thief has posted an identical thread elsewhere. [:(]

Yes - he''s had more than enough chances to improve and his performances this season have been getting worse, not better. Rudd deserves a chance and I suspect would seize it.