Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russell Martin

He was poor, and for me did just edge worst city player.

This is looking worse than the 04-05 defence that got us relegated with none of the options better than Whittaker, martin bassong Brady.

Apart from a couple of sloppy passes which everybody was guilty of, Martin played pretty well today. To blame him for the goal is just ridiculous, Martin was further up the field (as that''s how we play) and Hoolahan lost possession so WBA broke, Bennett went out to cover the right back area (because that''s what players do, they cover each other) and Martin then took Bennetts position in the box. The ball was delivered to the far post in an area which should have been covered by our left CB, Bassong, who didn''t do his job. For those who are blaming Martin because the cross came from that side but didn''t blame Olsson last week when 5 of the 6 goals came from our left hand side are just proving themselves to have a vendetta and can''t be taken seriously. I thought we missed Whittaker on the right today as he links up well going forward, for Tuesday and next week I''d have a back four of:Brady - Bennett - Martin - Whittaker Bassong has been the weak link for me this season with Martin and Bennett (yesterday) having to constantly cover for Bassong who has wandered off up the field or just isn''t picking up his man. Against Newcastle Martin was left numerous times marking 2 players which is nearly impossible, Bennett found himself in the same situation a couple of times yesterday as well. Bassong needs to be dropped.

Totally agree with all of that. Martin has covered for Bassong so much this season which unfortunately has made himself look worse whilst falsely making Bassong look better than he actually is.

"Apart from a couple of sloppy passes which everybody was guilty of, Martin played pretty well today."

A couple? you''ve got to be joking right.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/959830/Live/England-Premier-League-2015-2016-Norwich-West-Bromwich-Albion

"For those who are blaming Martin because the cross came from that side but didn''t blame Olsson last week when 5 of the 6 goals came from our left hand side are just proving themselves to have a vendetta and can''t be taken seriously."

My question is; Do you think those goals were Olsson''s fault?

"A couple of sloppy passes" you are absolutely so far from the truth it''s ridiculous. Were you at the game??? I think not! His positioning was terrible, he came off the field with clean knees AGAIN. His heading was a joke and his passing ability was pathetic. This rose tinted Martin love in is a joke. I said it at the start of the season, with Martin in our back four this season we will be relegated.

We won''t get relegated because Martin is in or out of the team. We will get relegated because the team as a defensive unit will not have been good enough. However, still a long way to go and all it needs is a win against Man C to raise the confidence again.

Really can''t get over how easily he let WBA get crosses in. Happened several times in the first half and amazingly he just abandoned the fullback slot when the second half started allowing WBA another cross - from which they finally scored.

Whittaker and Olsson were presumably dropped for letting Newcastle have it too easy. Will the manager show consistency with his decision making?

When will some people on here get it, if we''re going to play with full backs pushing on we need the midfield to play their part, who between all 5 of them made a grand total of 5, yes five, one each, interceptions or tackles yesterday.

As for the goal, Bennet came out to cover, RM got back and moved in the right CB position, well done him, the cross came in above him, and whether he is 6ft or 7ft, it was over his head and Ruddy didn''t command the area and punch the ball and Bassong was out jumped. Sweet fanny Adams to do with RM.

Vanwink,

Agreed, if Redmond performed his densive duties then the RB, whether it be Whitts, Wisdom or RM would be far less exposed.

It''s a team game, not an individual''s game.

Ray, in the past when I''ve highlighted the low number of tackles and interceptions Martin has made you''ve explained that as good positioning and reading of the game from him.

So now you''re pointing out a low number of tackles from other players can we say they''ve got good positioning too?

Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.

GJP,

One was as CB the other as a RB!

And no their positioning is not as good, but so what, as I said it is a team game and if they all put in the effort that RM does then we may win a game or two. A player can only play as well as his ability allows him but many do not, as far as I am concerned RM (normally) does. I have an issue with players who don''t try as hard when they are more than capable. RM was moved from CB to RB, a position he has not played for a while, but still managed to outperform the rest of our defence in many areas.

All that said, if someone has a fixed opinion about something they will always prove themselves right, (Henry Ford, "whether you think you can do a thing or whether you think you cannot, you will be right", Shakspeare, "Nothing is good nor bad except thinking makes it so" ) it''s the way the brain is wired. I am the first to say, RM did not have his best game for NCFC yesterday, but none of the other back four covered themselves in glory either, he did no worse and possibly better than some (Brady 11 crosses, zero successful, RM 2 crosses, 1 succesful).

Wake up man Russell Martin was nervous yesterday almost hiding, should have got closer to the guy that crossed for the goal, played too many hopeful balls that went to the opposition, worse than Whittaker in that respect. He was clearly the worst of our defenders and needs dropping now. We need to start playing two up front in a 3-5-2. Wisdom Bassong and Bennett being the three at the back, Ollson and Brady as the wing backs any decent full back can play left or right.

You need to wake up! Playing a left footer on the right as a wing back is ridiculous, we then get into the realm of cutting in as they are unable to cross with their right foot. I will have pint of what you have been drinking!

Ray wrote: "When will some people on here get it, if we''re going to play with full

backs pushing on we need the midfield to play their part, who between

all 5 of them made a grand total of 5, yes five, one each, interceptions

or tackles yesterday."When will some people on here get it? I think you know the answer Ray! [:''(]

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 25/10/2015 4:57 PM:

Its a team game but lets blame it on Redmond!

Not blaming Redmond, just stating my opinion.

In terms of playing the blame game that''s more your territory.

Is it any coincidence that whichever full back plays behind Redmond, the opposition always find it easy to tear us to shreds on that side, with a quick ball out of defence?

[quote user="Ian"]Is it any coincidence that whichever full back plays behind Redmond, the opposition always find it easy to tear us to shreds on that side, with a quick ball out of defence?[/quote]Nope, it isn''t just coincidence.

So how many of the crosses from our orthodox wingers/full backs were effective yesterday? At least our attacking players can attack the ball as opposed to having to wait for an over hit cross, you are assuming that i have been drinking do you actually go to games? 

You can understand any right back being a bit twitchy, it''s an issue that should have been addressed.

Talking of twitchy, where''s he gorne?

I do agree that Redderz is not great defensively.

But the job of a fullback is stop the winger getting crosses in. That''s just basic.

Yesterday their left wing was able to get plenty of crosses in because our right back didn''t do enough to stop him/was easily beaten.

Vanwink wrote the following post at 25/10/2015 7:09 PM:

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 25/10/2015 4:57 PM:

Its a team game but lets blame it on Redmond!

-

Not blaming Redmond, just stating my opinion.

---------------------

Exactly, it''s your opinion, yet people throw about the ''scapegoat'' card.

It''s rarely ever as basic as the left winger is getting crosses in, therefore the right back is at fault.

To my unknowledgeable eyes, and I''m sure someone like Parma will put me in my place, it seems like a lot of our problems are resulting in the ease with which opposition teams are able to intercept in their own final third, and bypass our midfield, often with only a single ball into the right area. In this situation, if Tettey is out of position we simply don''t have enough cover, especially in the wide right area, and even the poorer teams in this division are capable of exploiting that. Couple it with the lack of pace and physical presence in CM and it makes for a team that are easy to hit on the counter.

In my opinon, if we''re going to play Redmond (who is continually drifting in centrally) we cannot play Hoolahan and Howson both, as it simply leaves Tettey and our RB with too much to do.

I think Mulumbu is exactly the player we need to shore us up, and it was unfortunate he was injured in pre-season. Hopefully when Mulumbu is back he will make the difference, and give us more physical presence in that area.

[quote user="Ian"]It''s rarely ever as basic as the left winger is getting crosses in, therefore the right back is at fault.

To my unknowledgeable eyes, and I''m sure someone like Parma will put me in my place, it seems like a lot of our problems are resulting in the ease with which opposition teams are able to intercept in their own final third, and bypass our midfield, often with only a single ball into the right area. In this situation, if Tettey is out of position we simply don''t have enough cover, especially in the wide right area, and even the poorer teams in this division are capable of exploiting that. Couple it with the lack of pace and physical presence in CM and it makes for a team that are easy to hit on the counter.

In my opinon, if we''re going to play Redmond (who is continually drifting in centrally) we cannot play Hoolahan and Howson both, as it simply leaves Tettey and our RB with too much to do.

I think Mulumbu is exactly the player we need to shore us up, and it was unfortunate he was injured in pre-season. Hopefully when Mulumbu is back he will make the difference, and give us more physical presence in that area.[/quote]I have said for a long time now that you can''t play Hoolahan and Redmond, unless we are really playing well, or playing inferior opposition.

Yep. Mulumbu in for Howson and he and Tettey may be able to protect that defence

[quote user="GJP"]I do agree that Redderz is not great defensively.

But the job of a fullback is stop the winger getting crosses in. That''s just basic.

Yesterday their left wing was able to get plenty of crosses in because our right back didn''t do enough to stop him/was easily beaten.[/quote]Crosses will come in, that''s inevitable and it''s impossible to stop that happening as a ball can be launched in to the box from anywhere on the pitch, it''s down to the centre backs to defend against this and this simply hasn''t been happening. The goal was down to Bassong and nobody else, he lost his man and got outjumped, try and pin it on RM all you want but it quite simply wasn''t his fault. RM has clearly become the boo boy now, 5 goals were conceded from our left hand side last week, nobody mentioned Olsson because it was Martin''s fault in the middle (despite Bassong leaving him to mark 2 players at times). This week a cross came over from the right, and is it the guys in the middle fault? Nope of course not, it''s Martins fault on the right despite Bennett covering that area and Martin covering the near post. Unbelievable.